IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2194 Fix for low 12V voltage and slow cannons. Linked to ColorDMD Install. Posted by mavantix (6 years ago)

Post #2578 Hallmark Romulan Warbird modification Posted by Pin_Guy (5 years ago)

Post #2659 canon gearbox; detail photos of innards Posted by scooter8416 (5 years ago)

Post #4774 Tubing used for ends of flipper return lanes. Posted by Gogojohnnyquack (3 years ago)

Post #8277 Disable Officer's Club from the high scores in attract mode. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Post #8653 LX-8 ROM Release with link and description. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinkitten.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5605 2 years ago

Can anyone who has installed one of these plasma mods tell me which connector on the board you attach to for power? I have these on my JM (J114) and Tron (top of CPU/sound board), but I’m not sure where to hook to the board on STTNG.

Maybe a pic of where it goes?

Thank you!

475F302E-5FAF-4D83-A797-7E61DEF6D3F5 (resized).jpeg475F302E-5FAF-4D83-A797-7E61DEF6D3F5 (resized).jpeg
#5608 2 years ago

I need help with a new prob that I can’t figure out. I recently installed new canon lasers and they work great. But today I installed mirror blades and when I put the playfield back down and turned the game on, I had 5 switches out - the entrance switches to Alpha and Beta ramps, and the 3 neutral zone switches. I raised the playfield and noticed one alligator clip to the canon motor on the left had come off (perhaps touching something it shouldn’t). I reconnected the clip and the canon works fine, but the 5 switches do not respond in test or in play. All other lamps and switches are fine. Can anyone suggest what might be happened with these switches?

Thanks very much for your help!

#5610 2 years ago

The coin door switches barely work, I have to push them a bunch of times to get the game to go into settings. This seems odd, shouldn’t it either work or not work at all? Something on that matrix is definitely glitchy.

What’s the fix for that, if it’s that entire matrix? It does seem to be all of that column.

#5612 2 years ago

The game recognizes the coin door is open, because it will allow the settings to be accessed, but the coin door buttons are barely responsive (have to push them repeatedly). But all 5 switches on that matrix are out.

I don’t have another board for that system. Looks like just 5 pins (demo man, Indy Jones, Popeye, STTNG, and JD) shared it? Assuming something happened on that matrix, would it then be a transistor or something on the board?

#5615 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

You probably shorted 12V to the column driver and blew U20 on the CPU board. If you want to test it in isolation put the game in switch test, remove the column and row connectors from J207 and 205, then use a jumper wire with a diode with the band on J207 pin 2 then connect the other end to each pin on J205 while the game is in switch test mode. This will simulate each switch in the column. You may find that U20 is socketed if it happened to have been replaced previously.

Thanks, I’ll try replacing that driver chip at U20 and see if that fixes it. At least it’s a cheap fix, if that’s what happened. Incidentally, I am not getting an error message or credit dot for some reason.

#5621 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

[quoted image]

It was a temp install until I brought my soldering iron up north. Worked fine until it didn’t. Hopefully the switch matrix driver chip at U20 fixes it. It was only $1.19.

#5630 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I don't have a lot of confidence this will fix it, it's extremely unlikely that shorting 12V to a chip that operates at 12V would cause any harm to it. You may want to do a little more testing; IMHO it's much more likely you have a broken column 2 wire.

What would the fix be for that? I ordered a couple switch matrix chips, so I’ll try that just in case. If I can’t diagnose it I’ll take the board to a local repair guru, he’s talented at that. He can solve it fast. Thx.

#5636 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Did you do the jumper tests, as per bobukcat post https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/113#post-6272303?
Here's some more info on isolating the issue https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Switch_Matrix_Problems - basically if the jumper test shows the switches working then the issue is in the PF wiring, if you can't trigger column 2 in the matrix with the jumpers then the issue is on the board.

Thanks! When I’m back up there I will do that!

#5643 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I only pass on knowledge and advice here; if you have an original CPU board and U20 has never been replaced then this board is soldered in place with tiny traces on the topside of the board that are easily damaged during extraction.
[quoted image]
Unless this chip is socketed OR you have the required board repair skills and the proper equipment for removing and replacing this part, my recommendation is to not attempt it yourself.

Thanks very much for all the help. Yeah, I definitely wouldn’t do the board work myself. I know an experienced guy who is very good at that. I can handle most repairs that don’t involve the boards.

I’m not up where my sttng is right now so I can’t check it yet. I just know the 5 Playfield switches on that matrix are out (the 2 ramps and all 3 neutral zone targets). The coin door does cut the high voltage power when opened and you can access the settings, but only intermittently. I had to push the 4th button on the far right several times to get it to go into the settings. In switch test mode, all playfield switches respond except those 5 I mentioned.

I’ll probably take the board with me to have it looked at. Hopefully he can diagnose and repair. If I cooked it, I’ll bite the bullet and install a new driver board. That’s a last resort tho.

1 week later
#5689 2 years ago
Quoted from xingothx:

Last Project: Print a new STTNG Playfield.
Still a lot of work, but I think I've done half of it.
To reassure myself, I simulated a playfield swap on my pinball machine. You know what I think about it and I let you appreciate it.
I still have a lot of plans for the design of my playfield, but for the moment I have to finish my background image with its superb halftone gradient effect faithful to the original.
Thank you for all your previous messages and encouragement.
The complete Wip of my pinball machine is here: a thousand photos and videos
https://www.xinarcade.fr/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31&sid=e86edefb943bddee7316883a51674db7
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

. Oh. wow.

#5690 2 years ago

I was going to show off my new alt translite, but after Xingothx it seems a bit underwhelming! But here it is.

D44F7AA4-66FB-4ABF-8A39-412D34F69C8B (resized).jpegD44F7AA4-66FB-4ABF-8A39-412D34F69C8B (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#5758 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I thought it was preloading 3 balls.
I'm pretty sure I remember 3 balls in the power up sequence.

Mine pre-loads 3 balls and keeps 3 in the trough.

1 week later
#5790 2 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Anyone need a brand new in box Starship Fantasy subway? 75.00 shipped continental USA...shoot me a pm

Wow, that’s an incredible deal. I just bought one NIB for like $130 + shipping. Very nice deal!

#5832 2 years ago

So...we last left the story of my STTNG, it was struggling with 5 switches all on the same switch matrix not responding, and then I lost the ability to use the control/settings buttons in the coin door. I removed the board with U20 switch driver chip to have it checked by a tech. The tech said this board and the others should be re-pinned. I decided to install a spare coin door I had on hand with control buttons to see if that fixed the control button issue. I also put the original board back in (without re-pinning anything) and now everything works 100%. No credit dot. All switches returned and the coin door buttons work perfectly. So what happened?

86A4EDCB-08BD-4C7B-8BE3-F2671B27FCBC (resized).jpeg86A4EDCB-08BD-4C7B-8BE3-F2671B27FCBC (resized).jpeg
#5834 2 years ago
Quoted from dashv:

It’s possible that removing and reseating the cables did the trick. One of more of them might not have been making a good connection or could have a short somewhere.

I agree. It could have been a connection or possibly a broken ground wire somewhere near the coin door? I’m glad it’s working again. I’m finally getting good enough at the video mode to collect the crystals in the 9th cave. This is a great pin.

1 week later
#5877 2 years ago

Went to change a GI bulb between the rollovers and the bulb felt wobbly in the socket, with no spring pushing it back upward. I lost 5 bulbs, including the 2 in the coin door. It definitely was a bad socket, see pic below. I ordered a new one and will swap it out next week. Should that bring all 5 lights back? Or did the socket ground failure cause a short and harm something on the board? I guess I’ll find out when I replace the socket?

E894320B-0B77-48A5-90E2-2C4723C14AA4 (resized).pngE894320B-0B77-48A5-90E2-2C4723C14AA4 (resized).png
#5884 2 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

So I’m trading my Star Wars Pro for a STTNG tomorrow. I’m really excited. I’ve been wanting. STTNG for a very long time. I’ll be posting lots of questions. What do u guys think of the trade?

I would personally trade a SW pro for a nice STTNG any day. STTNG is such a loaded game, with fantastic rules and amazing theme integration. The sound and light show is great. This game is growing on me the longer I own it. It’s a top 10 pin for me. So much pinball in one machine. Congrats on your trade!

3 weeks later
#6102 2 years ago

So I replaced the failed lamp socket between the rollover lanes with a new one. But the 4 lights I lost when it shorted are still off. Is this a fuse? If so, anyone know which fuse protects those 4 lamps? It’s the bottom 2 lights for the pop bumpers and 2 of the 4 rollover lane lights. Oh, and the coin door lights. Lost those too.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
74BBE397-3F79-4303-9ADC-92AF7530AB71 (resized).jpeg74BBE397-3F79-4303-9ADC-92AF7530AB71 (resized).jpeg

#6126 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Yes, its a fuse. The GI fuse for those specific lamps is identified by the color of the wires going to the lamp holders.
NOTE: Yellow wires were used to jumper closely spaced sockets together, in this case the appropriately colored wire connected to the yellow jumpers will tell you the fuse number.
Fuses CAN be checked with them in the fuse holder as this will have no effect on their measurement.
[quoted image]

You were right about the fuse for the GI bulbs. The 5 or 6 bulbs I lost came back when I replaced F106. But the 5 switches that are all on the same switch matrix are still out. It’s driving me crazy. I’ve been told my power driver board needs re-pinning. I think I’m just going to replace the board, unless a repaired 1993 Williams board is vastly superior to a new Rottendog board. I already replaced the main switch driver chip. Didn’t fix it. I tried reseating all the connections too. If I buy a new power driver board, is it all plug and play? Or do any chips require soldering to the board?

#6128 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Please, Please don't but it's your game.
There has been a lot of bad press recently regarding Rottendog...
I wouldn't want a rotten piece of trash in my game long term.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-new-rottendog
It's also better to have matching serial numbers in your game long term.
My advise if you lack the skills...
1) buy rotten trash as a temporary solution.
2) send current board for repair
3) replace trash with repaired board.

That’s why I asked, I’m happy to invest in board work if it’s the way to go. I have my STTNG a couple hours north of where I live, so I have to break it down and haul it down where my tech people are. If I can simply drop a new board in and not have to transport it, that would be easier. But if salvaging the Williams board is best, that’s what I’ll do.

#6137 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

If you need your WPC driver repaired let me know. I'm local and can help. I keep parts on hand for repairs and am working on a batch of these drivers now. If your small 8 driver board doesn't have the update to add the resistors on the back it would be a good idea to update that one as well.
Some of the Rottendog boards like their MPU are ok but original boards are best if you can run them.

Awesome, thanks!

#6243 2 years ago

U20 is a chip on the driver board. See pic. It’s often soldered to the board, unless a socket has been installed, as it was on my machine. Then you can pop them off and on. The good news is if you need to replace the chip itself, it’s about $1.50. But if it’s soldered on, that’s a tricky job. Also, if you are having trouble removing fuses, there is a cheap tool you can buy for pulling them. I recommend getting one.

AAF58258-B55A-4DEE-A19B-527D54571FC1 (resized).jpegAAF58258-B55A-4DEE-A19B-527D54571FC1 (resized).jpeg
#6258 2 years ago
Quoted from RellikJM:

I agree 110%, functional verification is the only way to verify proper operation. When the IC looks like this though we know it’s no good. [quoted image]

That chip looks cooked! I installed a NVRAM upside down once in my LOTR and turned on the power. The game didn't boot properly and I smelled that electrical-plastic burn smell almost immediately. I flipped the power off, and waited for the chip to cool. Flipped it around and it worked correctly and has worked correctly for over a year. I was lucky. The game was only on for maybe 2 seconds. Now I know the chips usually have a tiny circle or semi-circle on one end to prevent mistakes like that.

1 week later
#6333 2 years ago

So I still have 5 switches out and haven’t solved it yet. I found a fuse that was out and that fixed the GI. But the 5 switches all on the same switch matrix are out. I have a tech alert to check all 5 of them. Is it either the power driver board, or could it simply be a bad switch? Are switches daisy chained together such that you could have a broken wire or cold solder and lose 5? Maybe that’s a dumb question.

#6336 2 years ago

Which switches? Could be any of the above. Maybe a bad diode as well. Are they actual switches or optos?

Thanks! All 5 are switches. It’s the 3 neutral zone targets and the entry gate switches for the Alpha and Beta ramps. I did a visual check and made sure all the wires are soldered on each of the 5 solidly. Could still be a cold solder, but they appear fine. I didn’t think about a diode, certainly could be. The other symptom I’m having is rebooting during play. I just checked all the fuses again and they seem fine. I’m gonna bring the game down to my super-tech and let him fix it for good. It’s beyond my skills. He’s got tools to diagnose these things better and replace diodes and bridge rectifiers, etc. Thanks very much for your help! I bet it’s something like a diode.

#6338 2 years ago

Yep, coin door closed works. Just the 5 switches. It’s weird because the coin door buttons for the settings also stopped working, so I tried simply replacing the door. That solved everything for a few days, all control buttons worked and even the 5 switches came back. But now the switches are back out, but the coin door buttons work. I can go into test mode and all switches work except those 5.

#6340 2 years ago

Was there ever any corrosion on the MPU? If there was and it made it down to the connectors it can get in the ones in the harness as well. Worth looking at those in case the MPU has been replaced before you got the game.

I can’t see any, the boards look really clean, but I know that doesn’t mean they are 100%. They are 28 years old, I’m sure things can just go. I’m gonna bring the game down near Lansing where smarter people than I can take a look.

#6342 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

The Slam Tilt and Coin Door Closed switches (that are on the same switch matrix column as those 5 PF switches) go via the coin door interface board, so there is an association but if the issue is there I'm unsure how/why it leaves those 2 switches working but knocks out the 5 PF switches. I'd be interested in hearing what your techs find is causing the issue

I’ll post the solution for sure. It’s a mystery to me. Hopefully next week.

#6355 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I buy them in case quantity and use these in everything that takes AA, AAA, or 9 volt batteries. I no longer allow alkaline batteries in my house, lost way too many devices over the years.

Agree. Lithiums are solid and safe. Last summer I opened a Simpsons toy made and packaged in 2003…it worked perfectly with 17 year-old-lithium battery in it. Crazy.

1 week later
#6464 2 years ago

Hiya all. So my quest to solve the 5 switches out on my STTNG continues…(all 5 switches are on the same switch matrix, the 3 neutral zone switches and the ramp entry switches for Alpha and Beta). So I dropped a new backup power driver board into my game to see if that was the trouble, same thing - game works fine except those 5 switches. Hoping that narrows it down for you smart/tech guys. Is it one of the 5 switches that’s bad? Anything else to check? Thanks!

#6469 2 years ago
Quoted from Walamab:

Switches are wired to the MPU not the PDB. I'd try swapping the MPU if you have a spare.

I misspoke. I replaced the MPU. The board on the left with the batteries on it. That one is fine, both are working the same. So the issue isn’t the MPU. If not the board, what would be affecting those 5 switches?

Thanks. Sorry for the confusion.

#6470 2 years ago

Since you’re in the area it would be possible to try your MPU in my machine to confirm if your MPU is still fine. As long as it’s ok then more likely a wire off under the playfield or some other issue.
If it is something in your machine I have a friend in the area that does in home service. He is the best around, fair priced, and highly recommended.

Thanks! It’s definitely not the MPU. I replaced it with a new one and it’s the same, 5 switches out. I’ll check the connections on all 5 switches again. If I can’t fix it, I’ll take you up on the help. Is your friend Clay or Parker? Or someone else?

Thank you.

#6473 2 years ago
Quoted from RellikJM:

Take a look at these 2 connectors. They are where your green wire with a red stripe travels to end at the neutral zone 45 degree switches. The first is right where the harness attaches to the playfield and is a 4 pin connector. [quoted image] The second is a two pin connector near the neutral zone switches. [quoted image]
I suspect you’ll find a problem on the first 4 pin connector.

Thank you so much, I’m going to check this tomorrow for sure. I’ll share what I find. I really appreciate the help!

#6474 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Have you checked the connector pin J207-2 and tested the wire connectivity from J207-2 to the daisy chain of 5 switches?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/130#post-6442831

I’m going to check this out tomorrow too, and hopefully find the problem. Thanks so much for your help!

#6481 2 years ago
Quoted from RellikJM:

Take a look at these 2 connectors. They are where your green wire with a red stripe travels to end at the neutral zone 45 degree switches. The first is right where the harness attaches to the playfield and is a 4 pin connector. [quoted image] The second is a two pin connector near the neutral zone switches. [quoted image]
I suspect you’ll find a problem on the first 4 pin connector.

Thanks to Manny65, RellikJM and Pin_Guy, and others, for pointing me in the right direction. I checked everything from J207 to the switches and all seemed fine. But the 5 switches wouldn’t work. I noticed the obvious replacement of the connector at J207, so I checked the quality of each wire seated into the connector. Sure enough, a loose wire in the first or second position. I’m not sure the proper permanent fix, but I did my best to push the wire in tightly and…voila. All 5 switches came back. I had my original MPU board checked, but the problem wasn’t the board, but the connector. Thanks to all for your wisdom.

B8452594-2182-4070-B9F6-16B706F95D8D (resized).jpegB8452594-2182-4070-B9F6-16B706F95D8D (resized).jpeg
#6486 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Looks like the repair Pinkitten is referring to was to replace the IDC with a crimp connector already so I wouldn't go back to that. If the problem was that the molex pin just wasn't seated far enough into the connector that's not a huge deal but if it's an iffy crimp you may have to get pull that pin out (tough to do without the proper tool but can be done with a very fine pointed object) and re-crimp a new one onto the wire.

That’s the problem, as best I can tell. It’s working right now, so I’ll keep an eye on it and replace that connector at some point. It will be good practice. Thanks again!

1 week later
#6510 2 years ago

I found a single black wire coming off the trough board severed. The kickout and trough work fine and it’s been that way for a long time. No errors noted. Anyone know why this would be severed? It’s not deliberate for some reason, is it? It’s easy to reattach, but I don’t want to mess something up.

E5B6EDF1-0DEF-4611-841E-B0F2AE35BDDE (resized).jpegE5B6EDF1-0DEF-4611-841E-B0F2AE35BDDE (resized).jpeg
#6512 2 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

As I recall the black wire is the ground for the 12v opto board, may daisy chain to another location?

That could be. Weird that it would be severed in the middle of the wire. Like it could be deliberate.

#6514 2 years ago

Possible it got caught on something and severed that way.

Sounds like there is no obvious reason not to reconnect that wire. I’ll do that soon.

#6529 2 years ago

I’m getting some random power re-boots from time to time. Sometimes I can play a very long game with no issues, other times it reboots within seconds of pressing start. Is that little device you install on the board the best solution? Or is it first essential to identify the specific cause? Thanks!

#6531 2 years ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

Sounds like bridge rectifiers, and caps to me. I think it is your 5v dropping. It is the famous reset issue. Your power board needs work.

Yep, I agree. I had this issue on my TZ last year. I’m concerned that if I spend $40-50 for a daughter board as temp fix to prevent 5v from dropping, it will just come back or persist. Might as well fix the power board the right way now.

#6536 2 years ago

On almost all of the boards I’ve worked on the bridges were fine. More times I’ve seen issues caused by people changing parts that weren’t bad and damage the board since they didn’t have the proper tools. If the large caps have never been changed then it would be good to start with those. I’d only do the bridges if they test bad. I’ve got three driver boards in for repair now and most of that is clearing off all prior work and fixing hacks from prior bridge and cap replacement. Also have a burned connector to fix.
Need to be careful on the large caps with the snap in leads. I’ll typically heat them with two irons and have my son pull them out. Small caps can also go bad and check for bad connections at the 5V regulator. If they’ve never been done change all 5 large ones. I’ve pulled out some that read less than a 3rd of their rated value and the other specs were awful.
If you can determine that a reset occurs when certain coils fire you may have a bad diode on that coil. You may also have a really poor IDC connection with an intermittent connection.

Yeah, the caps on my TZ were bad. Someone had replaced them but not correctly. If you aren’t overwhelmed I can bring my board home to Lansing this week and get it to you to check it out?

3 weeks later
#6586 2 years ago
Quoted from Jeff1960:

This may improve your game.
[quoted image]

Romulin ale? Bones, isn’t that illegal? I only use it for medicinal purposes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 63.95
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinkitten.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club?tu=pinkitten and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.