IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2194 Fix for low 12V voltage and slow cannons. Linked to ColorDMD Install. Posted by mavantix (6 years ago)

Post #2578 Hallmark Romulan Warbird modification Posted by Pin_Guy (5 years ago)

Post #2659 canon gearbox; detail photos of innards Posted by scooter8416 (5 years ago)

Post #4774 Tubing used for ends of flipper return lanes. Posted by Gogojohnnyquack (3 years ago)

Post #8277 Disable Officer's Club from the high scores in attract mode. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Post #8653 LX-8 ROM Release with link and description. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 11 years ago

Its an awesome pin and one of my favorites. Just ordered new ramps and a new subway trough for mine. Next up will be LED's and hopefully a color DMD.

2 years later
#214 8 years ago

Started working on my STTNG for the first time in nearly 5 years. I started taking it apart for a deep shop job in 2010, moved and it's been half a part since then...lol. Now I decided to do a playfield swap with a Mirco playfield as well as new plastics, new ramps, new subway and all LED's.

This will be my first playfield swap so why not do it on one of the most complex pins of all time right? haha. I'm learning a lot though as I take the game a part. Just started tumbling the first batch of parts. Can't wait to get it back together again!

#216 8 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

People say take lots of photos. Photos are good and it's always good to have high resolution shots of the whole playfield. Sometimes it's easy to get lost in a bunch of closeups. I take video for everything I take apart and describe what I'm about to do. In case I get stuck I just reverse the order.
Good luck. I finish a swap on a much simpler machine and it was challenging. Having just done a total topside teardown on sttng I don't envy you!

Absolutely, I've been taking a lot of pictures as I go and thankfully have a lot of reference pics from a friends STTNG playfield tear down / shop job. Great idea on the video, I wish I had done that. I finally finished removing the wiring harness tonight...what a pain, lots of labeling, lol.

Honestly the playfield swap is going pretty well so far and hasn't been as daunting as I thought it would be. I've just been taking my time (haste makes waste as my grandmother used to say, lol), taking lots of pictures, and labeling connections. I'm tumbling parts as I go and think I'll be able to start putting on some basic parts (posts) on the new playfield starting tomorrow.

#220 8 years ago

Hi paynemic, bummer. Thankfully replacements are available. The part is specific depending on if either it's the left or right flipper base assembly.

The link below will show them both.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=b-13104

1 week later
#226 8 years ago

The playfield swap is going well. I'm very glad I invested in a tumbler and would encourage anyone interested in doing a playfield swap or just to clean parts to get one. I was thinking of hand cleaning everything but I'm glad I didn't go down that route. Below are some before and after pics of the cannon motors. One of the games cannon motors was always stuck which turns out was due to one of the connections being greased which apparently should not be done.

Before

20160123_103234_(resized).jpg20160123_103234_(resized).jpg

After

20160127_191638_(resized).jpg20160127_191638_(resized).jpg

#228 8 years ago

Thanks! It's all the tumblers work, not mine, haha.

I'm using the tumbler below which seems like a fairly basic / standard model along with the media and media additive in the links. For parts that look very dirty, such as those for the cannons, I've been tumbling them for 48 hours. For parts that are semi dirty 24 hours.

Tumbler - Frankford Arsenal Quick-n-Ez Case Tumbler

http://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Quick-n-Ez-Case-Tumbler/dp/B001MYGLJC/ref=sr_1_2

Media - Frankford Arsenal 881538 Arsenal Brass Cleaning Walnut Media

http://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-881538-Cleaning-Walnut/dp/B015ZLIW4Y/ref=pd_sim_200_3

Media additive - Flitz TA 04885 Green Tumbler Media Additive

http://www.amazon.com/Flitz-TA-04885-Tumbler-Additive/dp/B001T7JWN4/ref=pd_sim_200_5

#232 8 years ago

Thanks and thanks for the tip Patofnaud, I'll check that out!

Paynemic, most of the parts I've tumbled have been metal. I've tried tumbling some plastic parts and it works alright. You could definitely just go area by area. Even doing a playfield swap I try to go by area or similar parts so I don't get things mixed up. For one run it was the right cannon parts, then the left cannon parts, then some slingshot parts and so on.

One part I did need to replace and had trouble finding in stock is the cannon looms / harness. I ended up ordering them from Pinball Heaven. Even though they are in England the price was around $40 shipped versus $49 + shipping from Marco Specialties. Based on what I read on here it looks like most STTNG cannon problems are due to its harness and / or the metal rod + the piece it rotates around being gunked up. It seems like the cannon motors themselves hold up fairly well overtime.

https://www.pinball.co.uk/shop/star-trek-tng/replacement-cannon-looms-h-17067/

#246 8 years ago

Had to make a template for the pop bumper mylar today. I didn't want it to go to waste so if anyone else ever needs it see below. Scanned using standard letter size format.

sttng_pop_bumper_mylar_template_(resized).jpgsttng_pop_bumper_mylar_template_(resized).jpg

11 months later
#1083 7 years ago

If anyone needs a replacement Delta ramp I have a good condition one for sale. $50 shipped (within US) and has a new ramp decal installed. No cracking, there's a bit of spidering around some of the back screw holes but nothing is cracked through.

Ramp was pulled as I got a new set of ramps and subway for a playfield swap. Still in progress. What a project...lol.

20170121_144128 (resized).jpg20170121_144128 (resized).jpg

20170121_144105 (resized).jpg20170121_144105 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1146 7 years ago

Probably about half way done with the playfield swap, what a project...didn't help that I took a year off from working on it, lol.

Working on cleaning up the cabinet next, replacing the front decal, and then wiring up what I can from the wiring harness before putting the playfield in the cabinet and installing other items. I've been debating ordering a new cabinet and decals but that would be over $1k.

The STTNG playfield is very heavy populated so I don't want to leave it on the rotisserie with the wiring harness, subway, cannon motors and VUK mechs for very long. Will complete the rest of the swap in the cabinet where the playfield will have better support.

Finally wrapped up wiring the new ramps this week, new subway has been ready to go. Every part and screw that is small enough to be tumbled has been polished.

20170201_200725 (resized).jpg20170201_200725 (resized).jpg

#1159 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I do understand the concern here, but you have both the top wood rails and the slide rails in place, both of these will help prevent the playfield from warping. I would recommend at least installing all of the wiring harnesses while the table is on the rotisserie, the time and aggravation you will save by working on it in this position cannot be overstated.

Great point, will do. I can imagine that wiring the harness up with the playfield in the up position in the cabinet would be a pain. Seeing your playfield swap makes me realize I have a long way to go, lol.

2 years later
#3742 4 years ago

Shot in the dark but does anyone have one of these parts below? Its used to hold the canon motor arm to the rotating canon. I'm working on a STTNG playfield swap and can't find this part. I've looked everywhere, really hope I didn't toss it.

Marco doesn't have the left piece in stock or listed on their site. Planetary Pinball said they don't have it either.

Thank you

Screenshot_20200105-145621_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200105-145621_Chrome (resized).jpg

#3747 4 years ago
Quoted from pfinny:

I looked online for you and was not able to find one either, my only suggestion if you cant find a used one from someone is maybe buy a new one for the "Right" side and take everything off it and flip it and mount everything back on it somehow, looks like that might work after comparing the photos of each, but not going to be a quick easy thing to do.

Thanks for checking and for the suggestion!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 63.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 85.00
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 64.99
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club?tu=panzerfreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.