20240317_235736 (resized).jpg
20240318_001720 (resized).jpg
sttng-card-1 (resized).png
sttng-card-2 (resized).png
star_trek_the_next_generation-1993-f-3 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2194 Fix for low 12V voltage and slow cannons. Linked to ColorDMD Install. Posted by mavantix (6 years ago)

Post #2578 Hallmark Romulan Warbird modification Posted by Pin_Guy (5 years ago)

Post #2659 canon gearbox; detail photos of innards Posted by scooter8416 (5 years ago)

Post #4774 Tubing used for ends of flipper return lanes. Posted by Gogojohnnyquack (3 years ago)

Post #8277 Disable Officer's Club from the high scores in attract mode. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Post #8653 LX-8 ROM Release with link and description. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mesz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2381 5 years ago

Cleaning up a STTNG for a neighbor and wanted to see if anyone had a suggestions on LED placement. Not going to LED the whole machine but would like to add some LEDs here and there. Any suggestions is appreciated!

#2386 5 years ago
Quoted from kevindrives:

I have a blue strip in the back above the borg ship. Adds a nice glow up there.

Quoted from Zitt:

I agree... I did this:

Thanks for the replies! I was thinking about adding a strip under the apron (ball drain area) so this looks like it would be better idea!

Anyone add any LEDs to the small ship left side ramp (apologies for not knowing the actual name)? It has two lights under the wings!

2 weeks later
#2406 5 years ago

So have a STTNG I stripped the pf down on and now have it all back together. Only issue I am running into is that the right cannon is not properly aligning up with the wire-form. What am I doing wrong here? I tried looking at the switch alignment as well as unscrewing the cannon under the pf and rotating it both to no avail!

#2408 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Just loosen the 4 phillips screws holding the canon to the shaft, turn it to line up with the wire-form, tighten it back down, and start playing...you earned it!
These are slotted to give you lots of wiggle room...[quoted image]

Thanks for the detailed response! I took these completely apart and put them back together again not realizing thats what needed to be done. Guess on the one I was lucky in the sense that it aligned perfectly. All good now!

#2412 5 years ago

Another question, have the game all back together now and upon putting the balls back in and turning the game on the machine automatically ejected 2 or 3 balls (forget). Didn't pay much attention to it but after turning the game off and fixing some minor things put the balls back in and turned the game on and again it ejected balls. So is the game not to have all 6 balls in the trough?

#2414 5 years ago
Quoted from Strohz:

That's normal. When you start a new game, it launches 3 balls--one at a time--to stage balls under the left cannon, one under the right, and one under the VUK.

Thanks! I never really played this game till now.....pretty fun game! Neighbor asked me to go through it , clean it and wax it for him. The game hasnt been serviced in 10+ years and it was a re-import routed game....... thing turned out really nice. PF looks great!

3 months later
#2582 5 years ago

Helping out a guy with this machine and need some insight if you owners would??? Several questions/issues:
1. When the game is first turned on the two ships atop the slingshots, only the one on the left side moves upon turning the game on. Is this normal?
2. I read this before but not finding it so being lazy I am asking again .... this game takes 6 balls for which the game automatically puts a ball in the two ships atop the slingshots but the game I am looking at only has 2 balls in the ball trough so where are the other 2 stored?
3. Upon the machines doing a test I am seeing the following switch errors (apologies as I dont have a manual):
A. 57 Top Drop Target (there is no drop targets????)
B. 65 Trough RL 2
C. F8 UL Flipper Button

If you can all help me out with helping my neighbor would much appreciate it!

THANKS!

#2588 5 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Normal for me if they fire when needed this should be okay.

This is not normal. 4 balls are stored in the trough in the 'game reset' position. The other two are stored under the playfield in the vertical up-kickers. Balls are loaded into the canons as needed during gameplay.

A. There is a single drop target to the left of the rollover lanes which blocks the ball lock. It's directly underneath the Borg ship behind the scoop.
B. Sounds like your trough optos need to be cleaned/replaced. If the trough isn't working properly it'll cause a whole host of problems.
C. Maybe an opto on the left flipper board

Quoted from Timerider:

If you haven't already, go get the manual from IPDB: https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=star+trek+next&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick
1. - completely normal.
2. - normally the game "stages" the balls in various trough/VUK areas (and Borg ship?)
Best to go into Test menu, - T.18 Clear Out Balls Test (close coin door to enable voltage for solenoids to eject balls)
Catch the balls as they come out and make sure you indeed have 6 in the machine.
3. - a) there is a single drop target located/hidden in upper-loop.
Page 89 of manual -- #18 is the target.
See page 79 of manual for assy.
b) Page 95 for switch locations. (switch may be showing closed because there's a ball there?)
c) There is no upper-left flipper. F8 is not used, per the switch matrix on page 94. (unless your spinner is not registering, you can ignore F8. But the spinner uses the circuit on the Fliptronics board... so if spinner is not registering points... it may be something deeper.)

Quoted from Pin_Guy:

This is not entirely accurate, 3 balls are "staged" one in each of the VUK's leaving 3 in the trough.
The picture below shows where 3 of the 6 balls get staged:
[quoted image]
And with all balls removed:
[quoted image]

Thank you all for the info.....will try to get back over to my neighbors this weekend and check it out!

2 months later
#2751 5 years ago

Hey all I had posted back here with an issue where I was getting multi-ball (mb) right out of the gate. Come to find that in settings you can get mb right away by shooting into the hole atop the playfield if the setting is set to 1. I changed this as it resolved the almost immediate mb.

Issue still is ..... for no reason the game will start shooting out additional balls. Almost as if the game is not realizing a ball is in play. Anyone encounter this and know where to start looking???

#2758 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

This is almost always caused by bad optos, bad connections to the opto boards and / or cracked solder joints on OPTOs. Start by cleaning them all with a qtip and alcohol, then go into switch test mode and push on the connector on the trough opto board and see if you get any switches registering, that IDC connector gets loose and / or the pins on the board get oxidation. If that doesn't do it I suggest re-flowing the solder on the optos in the left VUK, you might want to go ahead and do that when you pull that VUK to clean those optos.

Thanks will give it a whirl.

#2766 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

This is almost always caused by bad optos, bad connections to the opto boards and / or cracked solder joints on OPTOs. Start by cleaning them all with a qtip and alcohol, then go into switch test mode and push on the connector on the trough opto board and see if you get any switches registering, that IDC connector gets loose and / or the pins on the board get oxidation. If that doesn't do it I suggest re-flowing the solder on the optos in the left VUK, you might want to go ahead and do that when you pull that VUK to clean those optos.

Ok I got a chance to check the machine out (working on a neighbor’s machine) and cleaned all optos. All of them were working. The only issue I see is Ball Through #2 is not registering.

Is this common and, if not, is there something to look for to have an easy fix or is it a matter of soldering new optos in?

#2770 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

These may work but are not an ideal replacement as the wavelength is not a match to the photo transistor (880nm)
The exact replacement is QED123 this part has the ideal wavelength with a very narrow beam angle (8 degrees) https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ON-Semiconductor-Fairchild/QED123?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvAL21a%2FDhxMh7mfA56bpVlNrxBWbhazdE%3D

Thanks for the posts! I was able to test Ball Through #2 (LED #3) and it read 12v and the others were just under 1.4 does appear it’s bad. So now off to ordering.

#2798 5 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Got it, thanks! Next question, I noticed that my center mission start shot has a rattly sound to it. Upon further inspection, I found the assembly isn't locked together and separates easily on both sides. Is this normal and if not, what is the recommended repair method?
[quoted image]

I worked on my neighbors STTNG and his scoop had all the spot welds broken. I took it to a local weld shop and the guy charged me 20$. He also made continuous welds on it as opposed to the original spot welds. He had also regrained the scoop. Thing turned out super nice.

the Mantis ones look great but I hate throwing away parts if they can be fixed. The one I fixed is never going to fail again, looks great and saved my neighbor $5 plus shipping.

#2800 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I'm glad to hear it worked out, but for those reading this thread, be forewarned, your welding experience may be drastically different.

Thus the reason I took it to a local weld shop. If I did it it would look like an abstract piece of metal art (or should I say scrap metal).

#2802 5 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

Which opto?....
Hi STTNG fans. Logic question for the group. Which opto do you predict is failing in the following situation: upon boot up, the catapult launches a ball and goes into the trough, and then the left in lane ball popper pops a ball to left drain line. The cycle repeats over and over. It’s like the normal ball reset procedure but it just happens over and over...
Is it possible to predict which Opto is the culprit?

If you have a meter go to Post #2768 on here and it will tell you how to check.

1 month later
#2853 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I have a pretty simple question. I am in the process of shopping out my new (to me) STTNG. I have the subway off, have cleaned it and cleaned the diverters. I have cleaned the optos on the subway as well. I am wondering about the two VUKs on the left side of the playfield. These have two sets of optos each on them but I don't see a way to clean them without taking the whole assembly off the playfield and then removing the optos. Is this really the only way to do this? If so, is it something I should do while I have the subway off?

Agree with bobukcat, take them off and clean them! It looks harder than it is. I just recently did this and it wasn't as involved as it looks to be.

1 month later
#2958 4 years ago

Hey all trying to help a non-Pinside out by seeing what the value of his machine is. It’s an import, very nice condition, no Pf wear. I cleaned the machine for him about 6 months ago which consisted of taking the entire top of the pf apart, cleaning, polishing and waxing. Game plays but the only issue is ... an opto in the ball through is not working so this need to be fixed and he doesn’t have the knowledge to do so (I am on the West coast so I can’t fix it).

Machine is located just NE of Pittsburgh, PA. He wants to sell to put the money towards a TZ. So he will sell outright or trade for TZ (+cash obviously).

A0034C1C-1B89-41FF-9A77-F73E895838F1 (resized).jpegA0034C1C-1B89-41FF-9A77-F73E895838F1 (resized).jpegE3FD2303-2F27-4E90-B351-86D18FB5D340 (resized).jpegE3FD2303-2F27-4E90-B351-86D18FB5D340 (resized).jpeg54E2418D-7E15-40D0-9AC6-3AB232FEE2F2 (resized).jpeg54E2418D-7E15-40D0-9AC6-3AB232FEE2F2 (resized).jpeg958D5A24-BC2C-4F10-BDD6-BA89FAA028CB (resized).jpeg958D5A24-BC2C-4F10-BDD6-BA89FAA028CB (resized).jpegB5EFB61C-FF84-4B7A-8A3C-739AEBADD4FB (resized).jpegB5EFB61C-FF84-4B7A-8A3C-739AEBADD4FB (resized).jpegB770BE06-64B7-4102-A597-A021C3D21BEE (resized).jpegB770BE06-64B7-4102-A597-A021C3D21BEE (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 63.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 15.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods
Toppers
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 26.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mesz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club?tu=mesz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.