IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2194 Fix for low 12V voltage and slow cannons. Linked to ColorDMD Install. Posted by mavantix (6 years ago)

Post #2578 Hallmark Romulan Warbird modification Posted by Pin_Guy (5 years ago)

Post #2659 canon gearbox; detail photos of innards Posted by scooter8416 (5 years ago)

Post #4774 Tubing used for ends of flipper return lanes. Posted by Gogojohnnyquack (3 years ago)

Post #8277 Disable Officer's Club from the high scores in attract mode. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Post #8653 LX-8 ROM Release with link and description. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mathazar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4068 4 years ago

I just joined the club this weekend! I got my example fairly cheap (at least I think so) and best of all local (9 miles from my house). She mostly works, just a few gremlins here and there. While it spent the last 22 years in the home of the family I bought it from, she's a little rough around the edges cabinet-wise from it's first few routed years. Some holes on the side here and there from a previous operator, a couple of dings, marked up decals on the head, and rusty legs. Inner cabinet a bit dingy but no water damage. The board set is nice and original - no hacks that I can see.

The playfield is really nice - no visible wear but very grimy and dirty. Rubbers on their last legs. A few chips in some plastic pieces but they're all there and no outright cracks. Once I have everything working correctly, it'll be a total topside tear-down and thorough cleaning (and tumbling of metal bits).

I've resolved the first couple of easy issues - no audio in right speaker (bad filter cap) and right gun not finding home (one of the wires to the opto was hanging loose....soldered it back on). I'm now onto the third issue on my laundry list and the last "major" one I hope - the left gun doesn't turn at all.

Problem is obvious from the underside - the plastic crank arm has broken off such that the spinning motor is no longer attached. The longer crank arm looks ok - it's the smaller crank arm that broke off near the roll pin. I ordered a replacement small crank arm on Pinball Life tonight - fingers crossed it arrives by the weekend.

Now my question (and apologies if this has been covered in this thread before....I'm only up to Page 12 of 82 reading thru it): can someone provide me general step by step instructions on how to pull the left cannon assembly out enough that I can reach the roll pin on the motor, remove the broken plastic piece, and install the new small crank arm? Do I have to disassemble the whole cannon assembly to do this repair? Not sure where to start....looks like a lot of topside and bottomside screws and parts....I don't want to remove the whole thing if I don't have to. Thank you!

#4072 4 years ago

Pin_Guy - thank you so much for taking the time to provide the instructions AND most of all the annotated photos! Much appreciated! I'll report back on my progress....hopefully this weekend if the Pinball Life care package comes by then.

1 week later
#4086 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

This was the easiest part...getting the roll pin out of the motor shaft was much more difficult.

Pin_Guy - Wow....you were not kidding. My Pinball Life order arrived today and I started the repair process. Got the cannon assembly out just fine and then spent 30+ minutes trying to get the roll pin out of the motor shaft. I broke my roll pin punch in the process, but I finally got it out. Naturally, the pin went flying across my workshop and after a needle-in-the-haystack search of another 30 minutes, I found it under our treadmill on the other side of the room.

Question for you before re-assembly - the gun shaft and drive plate are absolutely filthy and covered in gunk/grease. My hands got dirtier during the removal than rebuilding a carburetor in my car. My cleanliness OCD is going into overdrive - since it's already apart, can I put the metal bits thru my ultrasonic cleaner or does this assembly require some level of lubrication? I've already run the empty mounting bracket through my cleaner....is it ok to put the drive plate, gun shaft mount, and gun shaft itself (after I remove it from the topside cannon assembly) thru the ultrasonic cleaner as well?

Again - thank you for the clear instructions last week....very much a time saver and it allowed me to get into this with more confidence.

Cannon Clean (resized).jpgCannon Clean (resized).jpg
#4088 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

you can toss all of it in there, you just have to be sure to get all of the water off; the only thing I would advise against is the gearbox and motor. Use a tiny bit of PTFE grease on the shaft when you put it back together.

Thanx, Pin_Guy - got the bits cleaned up and dried, a little grease on the shaft, and reassembled and reinstalled. While the Launcher test from the Test Menu has the left cannon moving now with the new plastic short crank, I'm getting switch issues in the Test Report:

Check Switch 32
Under LGUN SW.2

Check Switch 36
Under LGUN SW.1

Check Switch 38
Left Gun Shooter

In the Launcher test, I'm getting the expected beeps and OPEN and CLOSE status for LEFT HOME SW and LEFT MARK SW. I've double/triple checked the connections I messed with during uninstall/reinstall. The left gun is ignored during gameplay and never tries to "go home". Not sure what to check next????

#4094 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Check and see if the guns are bypassed.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/80#post-5492388
Test the left gun shooter by blocking the opto in switch test with the coin door open

Pin_Guy - Things have taken a turn for the strange with my STTNG. First the good news:

I didn't have the guns bypassed in the adjustments menu, but after retracing/tugging wires under the left gun things magically started working:

- No more credit dot
- No more Test Reports on LGUN switches
- Both guns "cycle" at power on and return to home
- Both guns are utilized and work with Launch Probe
- Both guns are utilized and work with Battle Simulation

Must be a loose wire somewhere...I will have to track that down. In the meantime, I've lifted the playfield several times, cycled game power several times, did 5 Launch Probe instances, did 5 Battle Simulations to completion, and played a few complete games and everything continues to work so far.

On to the bad/distressing news:
I got this STTNG at somewhat of a bargain price ($3K). Three things didn't work which I've managed to fix (right cannon did not move = bad solder joint on the motor wire, right speaker no audio = blown filter cap, left cannon occasionally stops moving = cracked plastic small crank that eventually severed under use after I got it home). As it sits now, it's all working. However, while chasing down wires under the LGUN, something jumped out at me...this surely shows my inexperience with STTNG when checking the system out before buying:

The left A-16922 Proximity Sensor II PCB is *completely missing*. As in totally removed. I found the J1 wire plug folded back up into a wire bundle, not attached to anything. There is a wire hack spliced into the J1 plug at J1-3 and J1-4 that leads up to the topside of the playfield and is attached to a (non-factory, I presume) opto switch secured to the left inlane bracket. WTF?

Some sort of field repair from back in the day to get around a non-functioning PCB perhaps? How is this hack even working? Should I try to put it back to original? All I've been able to find for a suitable replacement PCB is one in Australia ($54US plus $17US shipping).

Thanx again for any advice / direction.

IMG_7832 (resized).jpgIMG_7832 (resized).jpgIMG_7831 (resized).jpgIMG_7831 (resized).jpgIMG_7823 (resized).jpgIMG_7823 (resized).jpg
#4098 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

looks like a magnetic reed switch, I imagine its operating like any other switch matrix switch.

How is that switch (seemingly) replacing the entire functionality of the left A-16922 Proximity Sensor II PCB? I would love to put this back to factory if I can get my hands on a replacement PCB, but the pin seems 100% functional and I also don't want to screw that up.

#4103 4 years ago

My STTNG has firmware LA-7 installed and I see many references/posts with folks having LX-7 firmware. From what I've been able to gather, LA-7 is the "US" version of code while LX-7 is the "Exported" version of code that has additional languages available. Is this true? Are there any other code differences?

I'm going to buy a ColorDMD soon and the required game FW level posted on their site is LX-7. I'm thinking LA-7 would be the same.

#4107 4 years ago

I picked up my STTNG a little under two weeks ago and have been playing it exclusively while getting it to fully function - probably have played 50-60 games. Tonight I played a couple of my other pins for the first time since picking up STTNG (STPro and BKSOR)....they seem so "small" and I swear I'm playing them better and faster after spending so much time a widebody!

#4108 4 years ago

I've got enough time on my new-to-me STTNG now that I'm pretty confident in it working 100%. I ordered a Tangles Eddy board and cable assembly today to replace the workaround switch a previous owner did on the left inlane, and a new ColorDMD is slated to arrive Monday. An LED conversion (with OCD boards) is in the near future after I get the playfield cleaned up (topside tear-down, new posts, maybe new plastics, maybe new ramps, tumble metal bits, clean/wax, etc.).

I do have a bulb out under one of the yellow Neutral Zone inserts....looks like I need to remove the subway in order to access those bulbs for replacing? Does the whole thing have to come out or can it be partially moved to get access? If the whole subway has to be removed, I might save this particular job for the future when I do the LED conversion.

I've got a few other questions that I'll put in individual posts.....

#4109 4 years ago

Is there anything missing here (to the left of the Neutral Zone) besides a screw on the plastics? Somehow it doesn't look quite right to me. I'll be adding a Cliffy to the Neutral Zone hole during the cleanup.

IMG_7833 (resized).jpgIMG_7833 (resized).jpg
#4110 4 years ago

This is the post to the left of the Delta Quadrant entrance....I'm guessing a previous owner secured it with a nail? That should be a regular screw-post, right?

IMG_7834 (resized).jpgIMG_7834 (resized).jpg
#4111 4 years ago

Mylar is starting to bubble a bit over the JACKPOT and EXTRA BALL inserts. If the ball is rolling slow enough over them, it does affect the trajectory. Recommendations? Last year I tried removing mylar from the sling areas of another project (using freeze spray) but it didn't go well...still lifted paint. Wasn't too worried about that as I was installing a hardtop, just trying to make the surface smooth as possible before laying it down. I'm tempted to just live with this on my STTNG.

IMG_7835 (resized).jpgIMG_7835 (resized).jpg
#4112 4 years ago

Shield inserts are in pretty rough shape visually, at least when the insert lights are off. When they're on, it doesn't look that bad but it's still noticeable. Recommendations? Focused wet sanding?

IMG_7836 (resized).jpgIMG_7836 (resized).jpg
#4118 4 years ago

In for a penny, in for a pound. Like I knew I would, I just plopped down $700 on my bargain $3K STTNG. Just ordered new ramps (all three), steel ramp guards, Cliffy's for Neutral Zone, Mission Start, and Catapult, new posts, new rubber sleeves, new rubber kit, and a new plastics set plus plastic protectors. Add that to the $70 Eddy board and cable assembly I bought earlier today and the $400 ColorDMD that should be here Monday....hoo boy! But I *love* this game.

Going to need to recover a bit before pulling the trigger on a set of LEDs plus LED and GI OCD boards. The above will keep me busy for a while.

#4119 4 years ago

Put the new ColorDMD in tonight....wow. Even more impressive than when I put one in my STPro, probably because STPro is such a new machine and the ColorDMD breathes totally new life into a 27 year old pin.

IMG_7847 (resized).jpgIMG_7847 (resized).jpg
#4121 4 years ago

While putting the ColorDMD last night, I came across a new mystery in the backbox that I'm hoping someone can help me decipher. Keep in mind that since fixing the cannons a couple weeks ago, I've got about 60 games on the pin and everything is working (all switches, all solenoids, all lamps but one insert in the Neutral Zone, all modes behaving properly, including Final Frontier, no Credit Dot, no Test Report)

I found two clipped wires that are bundled together in the same wire-wrap by themselves: VIOLET-YELLOW AND VIOLET-BLACK. VIOLET-YELLOW can go to lots of places (50V for solenoids) but I can find reference in the wiring guide docs to only one place for VIOLET-BLACK and that's Solenoid 7 (KNOCKER). When I look at the Knocker, it has VIOLET-BLACK already attached. And it works. And there's a Molex connector for the wires going into the Knocker where one end opposite the Knocker has two VIOLET-YELLOW wires tied together.

Is that Molex connector to the Knocker factory or a hack?

Are there other places in the pin that has a VIOLET-BLACK wire besides the Knocker?

Thanx in advance for any insight....

IMG_7848 (resized).jpgIMG_7848 (resized).jpgIMG_7851 (resized).jpgIMG_7851 (resized).jpg
#4123 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Looks factory, although the wire to the knocker itself is super long.
I would trace the cut wires back to see where they actually go.

OK, this is a little bizarre. I traced the cut VIOLET-YELLOW and VIOLET-BLACK two-wire bundle...it went down the gray (right side) tubing channel to the lower cabinet. There should be no VIOLET-BLACK wires in the lower cabinet. I inspected the wires coming out of the gray channel tube, no VIOLET-BLACK wires. Huh? Either the wires are spliced to different colored wires inside the gray channel tube or they're not attached to anything. I tugged on them, and they came up and out. So I've got this two-wire VIOLET-BLACK and VIOLET-YELLOW set about a foot long cut at both ends (no bare wires showing) connected to nothing.

My guess is if VIOLET-BLACK really is only for the Knocker, and the Knocker is wired up and working albeit with what looks like way longer wire than factory, that someone along the way rewired the Knocker (with the same color coded wires as factory) and for some reason left the clipped section of original wires still in the backbox wiring harness.

IMG_7852 (resized).jpgIMG_7852 (resized).jpg
#4126 4 years ago

Anyone seen a scoring "rollover"? I searched on the thread and forums a bit but didn't find any mention. Had a semi-epic game this afternoon- 17,984,238,880 after about an hour of play, 3-ball setting, 4 Extra Balls collected along the way, 2 complete Final Frontiers and one shot away from starting a 3rd Final Frontier. But during gameplay, the score rolled back to 0 after 9,999,999,990. When the game was over, the full correct score shows up in the high score list. I noticed this a couple of times before on previous games when I passed the 9,999,999,990 mark but this time I took some pictures. First picture shows the correct score on the High Score list while the second picture shows the score after the game ended, with the missing 10B digit (which is how it was displayed during gameplay after 9,999,999,990).

Known bug?

IMG_7855 (resized).jpgIMG_7855 (resized).jpgIMG_7854 (resized).jpgIMG_7854 (resized).jpg
#4140 4 years ago

Is there a Left/Right balance control for the speakers either in the adjustments menu software or a pot or something on the sound board (I can't find either)? While I'm getting sound out of both speakers, the left speaker is noticeably dominant with higher volume. I've reflowed the solder points on the speakers (the right speaker is daisychained off of the left speaker) and checked the connectors back to the sound board. I also tried replacing the daisychain wires from the left speaker to the right speaker. Note: I had a bad cap on the right speaker that I've replaced. With the bad cap, I got NO sound out of the right speaker. With the replacement cap (or the cap bypassed altogether), I get sound out of the right speaker but at about 70% of the volume of the left speaker.

At some point I'll upgrade the original speakers to something better, but I'm wondering if I might have an underlying sound board issue here if there are no Left/Right balance control adjustments that can be made.

1 week later
#4158 4 years ago

New personal best tonight - x3 Final Frontiers / x24 Missions, x14 Artifacts, and collected x4 Extra Balls along the way. All the parts I was waiting on to do a topside teardown/clean/shop job/wax (including new ramps and plastics!) have come in but I can't stop playing this pin.

IMG_7873 (resized).jpgIMG_7873 (resized).jpg
#4163 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Wow! That's amazing! When you do a 2nd Final Frontier, do you get credit for all artifacts you collected so far and get a bigger bonus or does it only count the ones collected since the first Final Frontier? I hope someday to be able to find out for myself but until then I'm just curious

Thanx! In the Final Frontier, you get 1B for every four artifacts you collect and you keep them all. In my first FF, I had 8, so I got 2B. My second FF, I got it up to 11 so I still got 2B. In my third FF, I got it up to 14 so I got 3B. No matter how many artifacts you get, the shot bonus during FF maxes out at 250M. That's where I get the bulk of my points - my goal during FF is to keep all 6 balls active for as long as possible, but ultimately get it down to 3 in the subway so that you're dealing with only 1 ball on the playfield at a time. When in that "zone", I can keep hitting the center hole as the left VUK keeps feeding the left inlane. My personable best there is somewhere around 20 shots in a row. I usually get 5 or 6 in a row, miss the hole, 2nd ball feeds to left flipper, and try to get both in and get back to one at a time method.

My scoring strategy is now heavily weighted to getting artifacts for the FF bonus points. Unless I'm a mission or two away from getting to FF, I'm pretty much targeting the holodeck at ball launch to do the shuttle maze video. I can get an artifact with that about 90% of the time now...I usually crash only if I let my mind wander. Sometimes, tho, on that very last cave where you pick up the artifact my finger will twitch as I'm changing "lanes" and I'll fly right by the artifact and miss picking it up! That is sooooo aggravating...

2 weeks later
#4233 3 years ago

I finally started the topside teardown today to clean up my recent acquisition and put in some new plastics, ramps, posts, rubbers, and LEDs. Man, this thing is dirty. Kinda wondering what I got myself into - I have two 6-foot folding tables full of topside parts, 5 pages of notes, and about 100 pictures. Yikes. I hope Humpty Dumpty goes back together again.

This is the wrong L-shaped left lane guide, correct (solid red as opposed to the other three transparent red)? Anyone know where I can find a replacement? I browsed thru the lane guide plastics on Marco's and Pinball Life and didn't see it.

IMG_7937 (resized).jpgIMG_7937 (resized).jpg
#4238 3 years ago

Thanx...I think what threw me into the weeds when searching Marco's was that I was looking for a red transparent lane guide that was L-Shaped like the opaque one in my game, not double-sided like the other three lane guides. So you're saying that all 4 lane guides at the top are identical (that makes things easier)? I guess a previous owner stuck whatever lane guide he had laying around when the left-most one broke. During teardown, I've found several more interesting hacks as well.

#4239 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I would be surprised if Pinball Life didn't have those lane guides.
If you can't find them. I'm doing a
Pinball.Center group buyin a few days... They seem to have them in stock... if this is the correct one:
https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts/playfield-parts/lane-guides/1875/lane-guide-1-3/4-red-transparent-double-sided-03-8318-9

Many thanx for the offer, @zitt. Apparently I was looking for the wrong thing on Marco's and PinGuy pointed me to the right one. I'm building up a Marco order now and will just add this to it. Thanx again...

#4242 3 years ago

I'm in the middle of my topside tear down, deep cleaning, and semi-shop job. So far, so good. I've got days and days of tumbling metal bits ahead, and while I'm waiting I'd like to go ahead and start the LED conversion. Question for the group here:

Is it ok to power on the machine with all this stuff unattached to check and make sure the replacement LEDs light up (to locate any duds or 555 lamps put in backwards)? Will I damage anything by powering up in this state? Can I just ignore the tons of test report errors to go to the lamp tests in the service menu? I don't care about LED ghosting at this point, I just want to see them light up. I'll be installing the OCD GI and LED boards after I start putting everything back together.

Thanx...

IMG_7954 (resized).JPGIMG_7954 (resized).JPG
#4245 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

It should be safe to power up with the coin door open (assuming you have a working high-power disable switch) but not if you have any switches floating around that could short out to either the GI or feature lamps, keep in mind that the cannons may still run as I don't believe the 12VDC gets disabled by the door.

Thanx, bobukcat . Pretty sure the 12VDC gets disabled with the door - the Flasher bulbs don't work with the door open and neither do the cannons (which are removed anyway).

Unless someone comes back with practical experience (@Pin_Guy? @Zitt?), I'll probably lean on the ultra conservative side and not power-on to check lamps until I have everything reassembled.

#4247 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

It doesn't, only your 50V and 20V gets disabled.
If you have the door open and disconnect the motors from the EMI board you should be ok as long as you don't have exposed wires or parts dangling anywhere underneath...AND you have a working HV disable switch as bobukcat had mentioned.

Ah...I was basing my thought that 12V gets disabled by the fact that the flashers don't flash with the door open. I guess the flashers are using 20V then and not 12V. Thanx for the advice.

The balls won't clear unless the coin door is closed so I'm assuming the HV disable switch on the coin door is working.

#4250 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Question for the group. On maybe 1 power up in 5, the right cannon just sweeps right to left several times, repeatedly tries to fire, and then stops like this with the black firing mechanism exposed. If I push in the black firing mechanism while it's doing this, it works fine and plays fine. I am open to suggestions and am hoping you guys have dealt with this before I begin disassembling the cannons.

When it's repeatedly trying to fire, is the black firing mechanism (plunger) exposed the whole time? If it is, the plunger is triggering the attempt to fire by blocking the opto and the opto thinks there is a ball present and eventually the cannon "cannot find home" because the opto remains blocked by the plunger. See if the plunger is binding up and sticking - may need a new sleeve or just a good cleaning.

#4253 3 years ago

I'm in the ramp reassembly phase of my shop job. Got a set of nice, shiny new ramps - first one I'm rebuilding is the Beta ramp. All of the mounting holes on the new ramp line up exactly with the old ramp, but I've noticed that the smaller gate at the top only fully goes one way ("up" the ramp). When the gate swings in the other direction ("down" the ramp), it hits the side of the ramp and doesn't go high enough for the ball to come down. If a ball goes up the ramp and thru but is too slow and tries to came back down, the ball will get stuck.

Is this the correct behavior of the gate? I took lots of pictures before teardown and it looks just fine and like I said, the holes line up perfectly between old and new ramps so I'm certain the gate is in the right location. For grins, I put the gate back in the old ramp and the same thing occurs. I didn't check the gate movement/clearance before taking the old one apart.

It sure doesn't seem right, but I haven't figured it out yet. Thoughts? Hopefully I'm doing something stupid here....

IMG_7978 (resized).jpgIMG_7978 (resized).jpg
#4260 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Ramp looks great, but I want to take a moment to let you know you are mounting your switches incorrectly, There is a metal plate that the screws screw into, this plate should be on the plastic side of the switch to spread out the mounting force across the switch; having the screws directly on the switch plastic can actually damage the internal parts of switch by putting all the force in a tiny area. This is the reason why the metal plates on the other side of the switches are not tapped holes but instead make you install this tiny tapped plate to screw into.

Thanx, Pin_Guy - I guess a previous owner has them all mucked up. I'm putting the switches back on in the same orientation as I found them originally - I didn't know! And they're all like that....at least the previous owner was consistent. Appreciate the pointer....much easier to do now with the ramps on my bench vs. when installed on the playfield.

#4262 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Most of the cannon shafts will be gunked up from the original grease that was used when the machine was manufactured. Since this part has a metal on metal contact they really should be greased, myself and many others use Super Lube Sythetic grease for parts that should be lubricated. »
You only need enough a tiny bit to prevent corrosion and provide lubrication.

Hey Pin_Guy - I just disassembled the cannons, cleaned, and reassembled. I've got a tube of that Super Lube Synthetic grease....how much is a "tiny bit"? A couple of pea-sized blobs somewhere on the shaft, or a very thin bead along the entire shaft? Thanx...

#4263 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Hey pin_guy - I just disassembled the cannons, cleaned, and reassembled. I've got a tube of that Super Lube Synthetic grease....how much is a "tiny bit"? A couple of pea-sized blobs somewhere on the shaft, or a very thin bead along the entire shaft? Thanx...

I very lightly coated the top of the turret shaft and the top 1/4 of the shaft itself with a cue-tip. Both cannons working great and actually quieter than before.

Everything is back together after a topside tear down and I played a couple of quick games - no errors. Slings need a bit of adjustment on the sensitivity and that's about it. All of the LEDs are in....next activity is to put in the new OCD GI and LED boards so the GI can be dimmed properly and the control lamps don't flicker. After that...flipper rebuilds and figuring out how to get the Alpha Ramp Protectors on (the Delta and Beta protectors went on ok). Alpha is not lining up right....may need to bend/make adjustments.

New ramps are like butter. I was making Delta ramp shots fairly regularly before but they're even easier now.

Nice having all the lights work - I had a couple lamps that were out but I waited until this cleaning as the only way to access was to remove the subway. Also...the previous owner had a red dome under the Romulan ship and that flash bulb was burned out anyway....got a new green LED flasher and a green dome there now....huge difference having that work and with the right color.

#4265 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I very lightly coated the top of the turret shaft and the top 1/4 of the shaft itself with a cue-tip. Both cannons working great and actually quieter than before.
Everything is back together after a topside tear down and I played a couple of quick games - no errors. Slings need a bit of adjustment on the sensitivity and that's about it. All of the LEDs are in....next activity is to put in the new OCD GI and LED boards so the GI can be dimmed properly and the control lamps don't flicker. After that...flipper rebuilds and figuring out how to get the Alpha Ramp Protectors on (the Delta and Beta protectors went on ok). Alpha is not lining up right....may need to bend/make adjustments.
New ramps are like butter. I was making Delta ramp shots fairly regularly before but they're even easier now.
Nice having all the lights work - I had a couple lamps that were out but I waited until this cleaning as the only way to access was to remove the subway. Also...the previous owner had a red dome under the Romulan ship and that flash bulb was burned out anyway....got a new green LED flasher and a green dome there now....huge difference having that work and with the right color.

Ok, I spoke too soon. Played another test game just now and got to the Final Frontier multiball. Played with all 6 balls in play, lost a couple, and with 3 balls still left in play the game thought all balls had drained and it ended and started the next ball. Damn. Did it twice more (Final Frontier) and it did the same thing....ended the Final Frontier prematurely.

It's never done that before in the 100+ games I played from when I got it to before I did the teardown/cleanup. I cleaned the optos while I was at it, maybe I bumped something askew? Pretty sure I read something like this behavior in this thread....time to search and data mine. If anyone knows what this is and can save me some time, I'd appreciate it.

#4267 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

When that’s happened to me it was an issue with the trough transmitter optos. Might be worth checking that. Check the switch matrix to see if they’re registering correctly with all balls in and all balls out. Here’s a post showing what the matrix should look like.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/41#post-4146886
You can also look at each opto through a camera phone to check that they’re lit.

I think I got it. Switch Edge tests ran fine on all switches except one....Borg Entry opto. Acting dead, did not register. When I replaced the Alpha ramp, I took the harness all apart, desoldering the switches, to clean and then put on the new Alpha ramp. I reflowed the solder on the optos, retested, switch now registers in the Switch Edge test. Played a game to Final Frontier and it seems to work now. Will play some more games later after the family goes to bed to confirm, but it's looking good.

#4268 3 years ago

Two more Final Frontiers, Borg multiball, and Romulan multiball....all behaved. Feel confident the issue was my bad solder job on the Borg Entry opto when rebuilding everything onto the new Alpha ramp.

#4269 3 years ago

While troubleshooting that multiball-ending-early issue, I gave the trough board and optos a look-see as EaglePin recommended. I found this mess at J1 that I now cannot unsee. Everything appears to be working so I'm not in a great hurry, but I've got to clean this up or it'll drive me nuts. There were a few other hacks I found during the shop job, but none as egregious as this!

IMG_8020 (resized).jpgIMG_8020 (resized).jpg
#4272 3 years ago

One benefit from all this working from home is being able to occasionally sneak away in-between meetings and work on pins.

So during a long lunch today, I rebuilt the flippers with new bats, prawls, coil stops, coil sleeves, and springs. And new rubber. Wow....my STTNG plays totally different now! Things I couldn't do before the rebuild that I'm now able to do:

- dead flip from right flipper to left
- hit the Alpha ramp and Start Mission from both a held ball and a ball moving down the inlane with the right flipper
- more consistently hit the Warp orbit with the right flipper

And though I wasn't actually trying (it was just a gut reaction flip to save a ball), I backhanded the ball up the Beta ramp with the right flipper. Never did that before, but now that I've see it happen and I need to figure out how to do it on purpose.

If you couldn't tell, my right flipper had some issues before being rebuilt (a little slop and occasional binding).

With all the new rubber, fresh wax, and rebuilt left flipper I've now got to re-calibrate my hits to targets....ball reaction is much crisper now.

#4273 3 years ago

My shop job is finally done! About 60 hours of work and a few hundred dollars in parts:
- Complete topside teardown
- Playfield stripped clean with Naphtha, scrubbed, and waxed
- All plastic posts replaced
- All metal posts ultrasonic cleaned and tumbled
- VUKs and hoods ultrasonic cleaned and hand polished
- Habitrails hand cleaned and polished
- Borg, Shuttlecraft, Romulan, and Klingon plastic ships cleaned
- All opto switches cleaned
- Flippers disassembled, ultrasonic cleaned, and rebuilt with new coil sleeves, springs, coil stops, and prawls.
- Cliffys protectors added for Neutral Zone, Mission Hole, and Ball Shooter Lane
- Brand new Alpha, Beta, and Delta ramps
- Brand new rubbers, plastics, plastic protectors, bumper caps, and lane guides
- Cannons disassembled, ultrasonic cleaned, rebuilt with replaced cranks
- New cannon covers with domed lights
- New green flasher dome for Romulan ship
- ColorDMD added
- LED conversion with OCD LED and OCD GI boards
- New Tangles EDDY PCB and sensor cable to replace missing original EDDY assembly. Previous owner had rigged up an MR switch attached to the inlane guide.
- New pinballs

Prior to this work, my only shop job experience had been on older SS Bally pins (Mata Hari, Black Jack, EBD). Tho frustrating at times, I picked up so much additional knowledge working thru the issues I encountered doing this. And a big thanx to everyone on this forum thread for their help and support, especially Pin_Guy and @zitt.

Time to play and enjoy for a few months and consider adding a Pinsound upgrade. Next project...putting a hardtop on my tired Eight Ball Deluxe playfield.

#4275 3 years ago
Quoted from pfinny:

Looks great ! Few hundred dollars in parts LOL.

That's in case my wife comes across this thread.

1 week later
#4307 3 years ago
Quoted from misterman:

So ever since I've had my machine the to be continued button would never light up. I would like to get it to light up. Where do I start as someone who's pretty new to repair. I have a dmm just not sure exactly where to poke around. The button itself works in game and provides the buy in, just no light.

Quoted from holminone:

I would start by reseating the lamp and then replacing the lamp. Flashes at the end of the game I believe. Never opened one up though...

Agreed - it's probably just a burned out bulb. I'd like to switch mine from incan to LED (I converted to LED with OCD boards a couple weeks ago) but I left that button and the Engage button alone because I couldn't twist off the casing without fear of breaking the 40 year old plastic housing...it looks pretty delicate and I tried twisting it hard but it won't budge. Same kinda button is in my Sterns and they all twist off rather easily.

Is there a trick to getting the STTNG buttons out or are they just seized up from age? I might by a compare spares to have in case I get the notion again to get them out and I wind up breaking them.

#4311 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I'm going to go out there and say there may be nothing wrong with your machine.
To Be continued flashes for me in attract mode and during lamp test - IIRC.
However, it does not work at end of game during buy in.
I haven't tried troubleshooting extensively; but I'm actually thinking either there is a manufacturing defect. Or; the game code is broken.
Of-course; this all could be a bad dream too. YYMV.

Mine flashes after a game...maybe yours is disabled in the menu system (A2 10 "Buy Extra Ball")? It defaults to 1 Credit but can be turned off.

#4316 3 years ago
Quoted from Darkkow:

About 20% of the time, my left launcher ball scoop solenoid will over propel the ball straight into the left drain lane jumping over the left launcher rails. Any thoughts on how to calm that solenoid down?

Following....this happens to me about once out of every 10-15 times as well. Same VUK, same symptom. I've had the game about 3 to 4 months now and this didn't happen in the first 100 games I played. Coincidentally perhaps, after a shop job and cleaning of the subway, VUKs, etc. last month I started seeing this behavior. During the shop job, I didn't change anything on this VUK assembly.

#4318 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

My left cannon loads used to jump off the rail and into the drain lane about 70%-80% of the time. And the scoop on my POTC was also completely inconsistent. I used to cringe when it would be time for that left cannon to load or the POTC scoop to kick out because I knew it was probably going to be the end of that ball. When I checked them out I noticed on both the STTNG coil and on my POTC coil those plungers had a bit of wiggle inside the coil sleeve and the end of the plunger would come to rest on the coil stop in just a slightly different spot (and, therefore, angle) after each kick up. When I tested manually adjusting the plunger rest position to the same spot before each kick up they became consistent. So I came up with an odd fix to try to give the plungers a consistent resting spot. I used duct tape to tape a small amount of foam weather stripping to the coil stops. That gave the plunger a slightly shorter travel and it helped the plunger come back to rest in a consistent spot so each kick up would be consistent. After I did this on my STTNG and POTC they both instantly became 100% reliable. It was like a light switch had been turned on. The STTNG cannon loads never fly off the rail now, and the POTC scoop hits the same spot each time now.
In fact, a couple weeks ago my POTC scoop suddenly started firing inconsistently again in the middle of a game. After the game I lifted the playfield and saw the weather stripping and tape had fallen off the coil stop into the bottom of the cabinet. I re-applied it and it instantly went back to 100% again. Might be worth trying it on your cannon. Here's a post with a picture describing what I did:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/inconsistent-vuk-kickouts-ideas-for-solutions#post-5406189

Thanx for that...nice idea! I'll give that a shot this weekend....

1 week later
#4323 3 years ago

Pretty sure that's normal. At least that's what my ST:TNG does (with original DMD and after I put in a ColorDMD).

#4328 3 years ago

Thought I'd pass this along in case someone else ever runs into this oddity: for the last few days, an intermittent problem cropped up on my recently shopped ST:TNG:

Symptom #1: during multiballs, particularly Final Frontier, the game would "lose track" of the number of balls in play and end prematurely.
Symptom #2: when a ball drained, it sometimes took up to 4 or 5 seconds for the game to recognize the ball in the trough before ending the ball and proceeding to the next ball.

The symptoms got more persistent last night so I had a closer look. When I shopped out the game a month or so ago, I cleaned all the optos and subway so I was going to be surprised if that was it. I did a Switch Edge test and things checked out fine. Then....I noticed when I closed the coin door, I'd get the expected "beep" for the coin door switch closing but that was followed by three more unexpected beeps. I repeated the opening and closing of the coin door a few times and most of the time, I'd get the extra beeps. Watching the screen, I saw it was the optos for Trough Balls 5, 4, and 3! What the heck? I closed the door slowly, and those trough optos would sound off as I pressed the coin door in to turn the lock. Aha.

I looked at the cam lock and the damn thing is bent, i.e. in order to clear the cabinet frame to turn the key to lock the door, you had to press the door inward more. When you do that, the coin mechs PUSH AGAINST THE TROUGH OPTO PCB. And since it's bent, once locked, the door stays in that more-inward position and continually puts pressure on that trough PCB. I replaced the bent one with a new straight one, and now the coin door closes and locks with only the one beep for the coin door switch.

Time will tell, but three games so far, all with Final Frontier, and neither symptom encountered yet.
Coin Door Lock (resized).jpgCoin Door Lock (resized).jpg

#4330 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

It is odd, normally only the locking pin securing the coin mech has to be removed to prevent this, but it looks like your pin was removed and still had this problem. Do you know if your machine has an aftermarket ball trough?

It looks OEM, but I am cringing looking at the wiring hack a previous owner did on the J1 connector for the A-16927 trough PCB (a similar wiring hack is also made on the A-16926 PCB as well). I understand that quick on-site repairs are necessary to keep the revenue coming in on routed games, but it shouldn't take more than an hour to properly re-pin those wires into new connectors. On my to-do list.

IMG_8311 (resized).jpgIMG_8311 (resized).jpg
#4336 3 years ago

Another mystery solved. My right flipper bat has been moving downward ever so slightly these last few days if I let the ball just land on it or when I'm trying to drop catch or trap it. I thought maybe the flipper shaft was moving but I've got the lock down screw pretty tight. I took a closer look the bushing and dang....two of the three screw's heads are sheared right off of the screw and the bushing is moving around on the one good screw left. Found the two screw heads in the bottom of the cabinet.

Time to break out the Dremel, tap what's left of the headless screws, and get them out of there.

IMG_8400 (resized).jpgIMG_8400 (resized).jpg
#4350 3 years ago

I ordered a Smart Eddy board replacement for my STTNG in March from Tangles in Australia. He shipped it (great guy BTW - wouldn't hesitate to buy something from him again) within 4 days of my order and provided me a tracking number....within a few days of that it left Australia but then it was like watching paint dry checking on the tracking status every few days! Ultimately, 2 months later, it showed up at my door. Popped it in (took 5 minutes) and it's been working great since.

1 week later
#4374 3 years ago

In the middle of an above-average game tonight, my left flipper died, no longer moved. Popped it open to see the plunger linkage broken in half. I rebuilt all three flippers several weeks ago using a rebuild kit from Marco's....this is the second flipper to break (same plunger linkage)!

I wound up putting the original plunger back in with the rest of the rebuild parts to get back up and running in 20 minutes. Normally I've been pretty happy with Marco's stuff but two breaks in as many months?
IMG_8596 (resized).jpgIMG_8596 (resized).jpgIMG_8597 (resized).jpgIMG_8597 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#4413 3 years ago
Quoted from misterman:

I just had my first game over 10 billion yesterday and noticed during play it cuts off the billions from the score. After game the score list is correct. Did they really not expect anyone to break 10 billion?

For real. I did a double take when I first noticed that (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/83#post-5552487).

1 week later
#4427 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeSinMD:

Does anyone have a set of the out lane extenders that they would like to get rid of? Or where can I buy a set? Thanks!

I'd like to find a set myself. This place sometimes has them, but their stock doesn't last long when it gets replenished:

https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/star-trek-the-next-generation/7607/extended-exit-lane-ball-guides-star-trek-the-next-generation?number=62329

1 week later
#4437 3 years ago
Quoted from Aquapin:

On boot my right cannon "re-homes" itself while my left just stays put. Is this a software thing or do I need to fine tune the switches? Everything appears correct in test mode.

Most posts I've read on this subject seem to indicate that this is normal behavior. On my ST:TNG, both cannons cycle/test at power-on about 95% of the time. Every once in a while, the right cannon will stay put while the left tests, but then game play is perfectly normal. I haven't figured out a rhyme or reason yet and generally just let it go. I try not think about it unless something actually fails during actual game play and when that happens, it's usually something that doesn't have anything to do with cycling during power on (wire came off of coil, plunger stuck open, busted plastic crank arm, etc.).

1 week later
#4470 3 years ago

I recently rebuilt the upper right flipper (new coil and sleeve, new springs, new prawl, new bat/rubber) and I find getting up the Delta ramp much, much easier now. I was getting up it and to the Borg ship fairly regularly before, but it would usually require hitting the ball as it's coming down the playfield to get the best speed to make it. Now I can make it up the ramp and to the Borg ship almost from a standstill where the ball is just hovering or moving very slowly near the upper right flipper bat.

The hit ball speed up the ramp is now way faster than before (which I initially thought was great). However, I've since noticed that about 2 times out of 10, the ball gets kicked back down the Delta ramp after hitting something when it turns the first right corner....and I think it's the divertor arm. I can't quite see it when it happens as it happens so fast and I'm usually still looking at the upper right flipper after just hitting the ball, and I've been unable to capture it clearly on video so far.

Could too fast of a ball speed up the Delta ramp mess up the timing of the divertor activation? I cleaned all of the optos a few months ago when I did a teardown/shop job, so I'm pretty sure the opto switch is ok. The new coil I put in is the same part number as the original OEM, i.e. not a bigger spec'd coil.

#4472 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I recently rebuilt the upper right flipper (new coil and sleeve, new springs, new prawl, new bat/rubber) and I find getting up the Delta ramp much, much easier now. I was getting up it and to the Borg ship fairly regularly before, but it would usually require hitting the ball as it's coming down the playfield to get the best speed to make it. Now I can make it up the ramp and to the Borg ship almost from a standstill where the ball is just hovering or moving very slowly near the upper right flipper bat.
The hit ball speed up the ramp is now way faster than before (which I initially thought was great). However, I've since noticed that about 2 times out of 10, the ball gets kicked back down the Delta ramp after hitting something when it turns the first right corner....and I think it's the divertor arm. I can't quite see it when it happens as it happens so fast and I'm usually still looking at the upper right flipper after just hitting the ball, and I've been unable to capture it clearly on video so far.
Could too fast of a ball speed up the Delta ramp mess up the timing of the divertor activation? I cleaned all of the optos a few months ago when I did a teardown/shop job, so I'm pretty sure the opto switch is ok. The new coil I put in is the same part number as the original OEM, i.e. not a bigger spec'd coil.

OK - I think I've got it figured out. I couldn't capture this issue very well on video, so I had my son stand there and watch until I could do it a couple of times. He noticed that the ball was flying up the Delta ramp fast enough that it's actually catching air and doing one of two things: 1) flying all the way to the backboard and bouncing back down the Delta ramp, or 2) flying up in the air and hitting the mounting bracket for the Romulan ship and bouncing back down the Delta ramp.

I decided to make a "cover" for that portion of the Delta ramp to keep the ball from getting airborne and going too far off of the playfield. I had some PETG plastic laying around from a previous project, so I whipped out a proof of concept cover in about 20 minutes thinking that if this works, I'll make something nicer/better looking. Well....it appears to work well. I've been playing ST:TNG for the last 4 days (around 50 games) and no more issue with the ball getting kicked back down the Delta ramp if I hit it up there really hard.

Pretty pleased with the PoC - maybe someday I'll design and make something a bit more professional-looking but for now, I'm very happy.

IMG_8792 (resized).jpgIMG_8792 (resized).jpgIMG_8793 (resized).jpgIMG_8793 (resized).jpgIMG_8794 (resized).jpgIMG_8794 (resized).jpgIMG_8795 (resized).jpgIMG_8795 (resized).jpgIMG_8797 (resized).jpgIMG_8797 (resized).jpg
#4474 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Arhh a picture says a 1000 words - you're missing the plastic 31-1803-28 which covers exactly what you've manufactured.

Ya know, I had a feeling that was the case as it seemed to me that having that open space above the top of the ramp was just "wrong" and the little plastic piece that *was* there already halfway up the ramp was slightly thicker than the other clear plastic pieces around the playfield. Add that to the two dozen or so other hacks/missing things I've found since picking up this pin ~4 months ago!

Here's the kicker - I already have that 31-1803-28 plastic piece but didn't know what to do with it. I bought a set of plastic protectors from pinballdecals.com when I shopped the pin out back in April (and put in new ramps). I didn't know the lower plastic piece on that ramp was non-original and I couldn't line up 31-1803-28 to fit anywhere! Oy.....live and learn. Thanx!

#4475 3 years ago

Daaayum....31-1803-28 fits like a glove when the non-original plastic ramp cover is removed.

Thanx, @manny65!

IMG_8798 (resized).jpgIMG_8798 (resized).jpg
#4479 3 years ago
Quoted from misterman:

I recently recorded one of my games and did get this callout at one point. Feel free to try to decipher how it was activated.

You went up the left orbit into a completed Delta ramp shot after achieving Warp 9 on the previous ball.

#4493 3 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

Do I need to switch to the "export" ROM (LX-7) to get this to work?

Quoted from bobukcat:

If you stay with LA-7 you may see some screens that are not colorized so I would recommend you upgrade the ROM

FWIW, I have LA-7 ROMs in mine and I've yet to see uncolorized screens on my ColorDMD (hundreds of games). I don't think there are any animation differences between LA-7 and LX-7...just additional language options on the exported LX-7.

And +1 for the Hi-Rez LCD mode on STTNG!

#4518 3 years ago
Quoted from Lymes:

Are the plastic ramps still available anywhere? Also, looking for a set of nice apron cards. Thanks everyone!

Marcos shows the ramps as in stock:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PR004
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PR005
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PR006

They came with labels. They're pricey but they work well...I bought a set when I shopped my STTNG a few months ago.

#4522 3 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I bought all new ramps from Marco. They are nice, but thicker than stock. One of my cliffys wouldn’t work with the new ramps.

Indeed - I'm using Mantis ramp protectors and one of the Alpha ones won't go on due to the thickness of the repro ramp plastic:

https://mantispinball.com/product-category/star-trek-the-next-generation/

I'd like to get it on there, but I'm also thinking that with the thicker ramp plastic, they're likely to last a lot longer without cracking anyway.

Are yours really Cliffy's (I didn't know Cliffy did STTNG ramp protectors...don't see them on his website)? I keep thinking about the Big Bang Theory line "all Jacuzzi's are hot tubs but not all hot tubs are Jacuzzi's".

1 month later
#4583 3 years ago

This is so cool - I got my STTNG mini this week. Being made and sold by a fellow pinsider on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/866488243/star-trek-next-generation-miniature

Perfect tchotchke for my desk....have an EBD coming too!

IMG_8857 (resized).jpgIMG_8857 (resized).jpgIMG_8858 (resized).jpgIMG_8858 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#4592 3 years ago
Quoted from pinopinballmods:

I understand that I have to replace the loom but in my case the loom seems very good. I have checked all wire in it. As I said on the right cannons every thing is Ok, on the left side it fire the ball once and make another fire in the void during its initial place return as if the ball was again in the cannon. I have replaced too the 2 opto on each cannon and the problem doesn't disappear. .

I can also tell you from personal experience - after years and years of the cannon twisting and turning, that loom is under a lot of stress and can/will kink and bind up. It may not be noticeable from the outside plastic sheathing....it may look ok, it may even measure out ok end to end in a static position, but any actual internal wire breakage, fraying, or deterioration from years of rubbing will show up when the wire loom gets moved or kinked again as a result of the cannon turning.

Replace the loom.

1 week later
#4659 3 years ago
Quoted from luckycreature:

Got my new plastic arm in for under the gun but any clue how to get the pin out that was attached to the old arm? Need to remove it to slide the short side arm over this post. So far having no luck getting it out.

You need a roll pin punch set and a lot of patience. I had to take the whole cannon assembly out, put it on my bench, and hammer away. Broke one of my roll pin punches in the process, but I got the pin out.

https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Gunsmithing-Removing-Automotive-Jewelry/dp/B07JNS1ZF7

1 week later
#4696 3 years ago
Quoted from Baron_VonLoppnow:

Hi all -- this weekend I am going to check out a ST:TNG that likely hasn't been played much or maintained much over the past 15+ years. Any advice on likely trouble spots / issues to look for prior to potentially making an offer? I don't have experience working with / maintaining ST:TNG, but it certainly has a reputation of being a very-high maintenance pin. Thx!!!

This would be a good place to start:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/15#post-3325767

1 month later
#4792 3 years ago

My 17-year-old son and I went for it....taking our STTNG down to the basement with both the head on and the playfield in and letting gravity do its thing. Two really tight turns and more than once I thought it was stuck and mentally thinking of a backup plan to call for help. In the end, it came down unscathed and we both breathed a big sigh of relief. I did take the railings off the wall to get a couple extra inches of clearance.

Good thing I love this pin....no way in hell I'm taking it back upstairs.

IMG_7791 (resized).jpgIMG_7791 (resized).jpgIMG_7792 (resized).jpgIMG_7792 (resized).jpgIMG_7793 (resized).jpgIMG_7793 (resized).jpgIMG_7871 (resized).jpgIMG_7871 (resized).jpg
#4812 3 years ago

FYI - cannon harness looks to be available from Marco's....I think somebody in this thread was looking for it earlier:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/H-17067

4 weeks later
#4954 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Can someone post a closeup pic of their LED OCD board installed?

Here's mine.....

OCB Board Installed (resized).jpgOCB Board Installed (resized).jpg
1 month later
#5200 3 years ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

For those who have LED's in the backbox, how are you eliminating the fast, faint flickering of the bulbs? Did you use GI OCD or non-ghosting bulbs? I'm guessing the patched rom only works on the playfield inserts?

I'm using both GI OCD and LED OCD boards in mine - works like a champ, set it and forget it. No flicker at all using regular LEDs from Comet.

#5203 3 years ago

I first added a ColorDMD and then the GI OCD and LED OCD boards after a thorough shop job (I picked up my mostly-working-but-needed-help STTNG last year for fairly cheap). I've recently been thinking about adding PinSound for a couple of reasons - 1) for the sound quality, of course and 2) to see if an audio issue I've had since Day 1 would be addressed.

The audio issue I'm having, at least I think it's an issue, is the amplitude in the right speaker. The audio is predominately coming out of the left speaker. If I had to guess (actually, an educated guess as I used my trusty old Radio Shack SPL meter to test), the volume out of the left speaker is just over twice than that of the right speaker.

There's no L/R balance control that I can find either in the pin's setup or via a pot on the audio board. I tried some simple stuff first (replacing the right speaker, replacing the filter cap to the right speaker, replacing speaker wires to the right speaker) to no avail.

The audio board is all original with no rework done it that I can tell. I'd rather not shotgun the audio board by replacing all the caps and perhaps introduce new problems as a result of my middling PCB solder reworking skills. Maybe I'll take a harder look at the schematic to see if I can hone in on one or two suspects.

In the meantime, is the disparity of the volume level between the L/R speakers normal? Do you think adding the PinSound hardware would "bypass" this issue?

#5212 3 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

PinSound board and speakers eliminates ALL the sound issues related to audio balancing. It's a 27 year IMPROVEMENT from 1993. What are you waiting for?

Simply put, "budget".

In all seriousness, I will be putting in PinSound very soon. Tax time is upon us and part of our refund is earmarked for Pinsound.

#5216 3 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

It's like anything else such as restoring a home or fixing a vintage car, ..cost and budget

Absolutely. And I decided after some back-of-the-napkin math on my impending tax return to go ahead and buy the PinSound now and pay myself back after the refund. Wow...after the PinSound Plus PCB, the Speaker Kit, and international shipping from France I'm in for just under $600.

I love my STTNG pin. I got it on the cheap last year as it wasn't fully working, it was extremely dirty inside and out, and it had some questionable looking hacks. With a desperate local seller and cash on the glass, I walked away with the pin and a lot more cash in my pocket than I thought I would.

Fortunately, the PCBs were all in good shape. I spent hours and hours (and hours) on a full topside tear down for a deep shop job which included cleaning all optos, getting the cannons working again, rebuilding the flippers, slings, and diverters, and the like. I've also corrected all but a few of the wiring hacks I encountered (the last 3 I'm taking my time with since the pin is mechanically sound now and has been behaving well during months of daily play). I would not have been able to do any of that if it weren't for this forum and its generous contributors....thank you!

I'm not usually one who is much on mods - my playfield looks pretty much stock after replacing all of the ramps and plastics with new. But I have added ColorDMD, LED OCD, GI OCD, Comet LEDs, and now PinSound. I probably have close to $2K in those add-ons and other new parts I've put in to get this pin back and working 100%. The good news even with that $2K, plus what I paid for the pin, I'm still right around market value for a typical bone stock STTNG.

Someday I'll tackle the cabinet. She still looks bright and vibrant with no decal color fade, but when you look closely there are many scratches and dings throughout the body and head. Holes need to be filled in, sanded, re-painted and re-decaled.

Then there's the playfield. Art still looks great, no major issues there. But I've got a couple spots where mylar is bubbling and the shield inserts are a bit cloudy.

If I had unlimited budget, I'd pack this thing up and send it off to HEP for the royal treatment!

#5220 3 years ago

Cary Hardy just posted a nice tutorial and review on a PinSound package install (PinSound Plus, Pinsound Speakers and Sub, conversion from 1.1 to 2.1, shaker, headphone station, and motion board). He put it in a Judge Dredd (WPC DCS system) which aligns nicely with our STTNGs.

After watching this, I'm now even more anxious to get PinSound in my STTNG. Just checked my PinSound tracking and it's cleared customs in France and on the way....hopefully arriving by the weekend!

#5240 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Simply put, "budget".
In all seriousness, I will be putting in PinSound very soon. Tax time is upon us and part of our refund is earmarked for Pinsound.

I went ahead and purchased the PinSound Plus PCB, speakers, sub, and 2.1 stereo wiring kit. I was pleasantly surprised to receive all this gear, from France, a mere 5 days after placing the order.

Installation was straightforward and easy - took less than an hour, including updating the PCB FW which they recommend to do right off the bat. Took me a little longer to understand the nature of installing the orchestration packages, tho. I had several on a USB key but the conversion/installation process seemed to hang or be in the weeds in that after a few hours, it was still "in process" with no real progression. It was only after doing some research I found that folks have not been successful in installing or processing multiple orchestration package at once and that it was best to it do one at a time and build the USB with multiple soundtrack choices that way. Once I did one at a time, it was a breeze.

First impression - WOW. What was once thin and tinny monaural sound is now a much fuller, stereo sound, even with the original, non-remastered soundtrack. I'm enjoying going thru the other remastered sound packages available by other enthusiasts (6 or 7 so far) and have some ideas on my own customizations that I'd like to add.

One thing that made me laugh out loud when I hit it: on one of the remastered soundtracks ("STTNG_Ultimate_Alternate_by_PinballShark"), I started the "Q's Challenge" mission. The background music? Mariachi music from the Deja Q episode. So fitting.

1 week later
#5301 3 years ago

Thanx for this, @jedimastermatt! Only played a few games so far, but I really like it. Ironically, I spent the better half of my weekend starting to make my own custom STTNG orchestration and last night I was working out the cut off/looping issue with the End of Game music (which does not happen with yours). I had already done all of my music, normalized and at the right lengths, and while they play and sound great I'm not as enamored with a few after testing with some practice games. Now I'm thinking I may use your orchestral package as new baseline and pop in a few music tracks of mine that I still like into some missions. Nicely done!

#5312 3 years ago

Hmmm...not sure what I did here. Tonight I was messing around with different orchestration packages for my PinSound board, and all of a sudden instead of "LIGHT LOCK" as a choice during ball launch I'm getting "MULTIPLIER" in its place. If I select it, the x2 multiplier indeed lights.

I've owned this pin for nearly a year - I've never seen anything but "LIGHT LOCK" in that second to last choice. Messing around with PinSound should have nothing to do with this, and I'm confused. I poked around in STTNG settings but didn't see anything related to altering these choices.

What the heck did I do?

Multiplier (resized).jpgMultiplier (resized).jpg
#5314 3 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

Downloaded and have some feedback. First I applaud the ambition. But do have some feedback.
1) Sound balance- the new chirp sounds and some of the voices I find too loud and forward. I notice the distinct start stop of a file when the dbs are so mismatched and I find it distracting.
2) my biggest beef with the original ultimate mix is repetition on some of the modes and not using the random audio selection of the platform to diversify the experience. Despite this I find the original ultimate mix about perfect. I would love a variation that simply adds more musical arrangements to diversify the experience
3) related to 1 the switch hit chirps are just a bit much for me.
If I had a pc I might try and tune this myself.

I had the same observations/experience with the loudness....many files are 5db, 10db, and as high as 17db from each other. I was planning on normalizing my "modified" orchestral package this weekend, perhaps tomorrow night if I get enough cycles. I'll be happy to share when I'm done.

#5319 3 years ago

Oy....I'm down a rat hole now. Was going to have a look around in Settings to check the LIGHT LOCK setting and I can't get into the settings now. None of the 4 service buttons on the coin door are acknowledged, including the two volume control buttons. Machine otherwise starts a game and plays normally, and properly cuts off solenoid power when the coin door is open. Doubtful that all 4 button/switches would fail at once, and wiring looks to be direct from the coin door interface board to the CPU board. Reseated J1 and J3 on the Coin Door Interface board and J205 on the CPU board - connectors look good, still no joy.

Any suggestions?

#5323 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

I'd suggest testing the CPU board first by jumping the pins on J205

Yep, that's where I was going, too. During one of my breaks from work I set up some jumpers on J205 and I am indeed now able to get into Setup, navigate, and adjust volume from there. Need to get back to work....next step later tonight is to check continuity in the wire harness from J1 on the Coin Door Interface PCB to J205 on the CPU and keep working my way backwards.

#5327 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Yep there's not a lot that can go wrong on these - CPU board, wire or switch. Given all 4 switches are inoperative I'd be looking at the ground wire and connectors

Got it sorted. Yep, ground wire. I always remember but don't always seem to heed "all things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the right one". So after confirming with jumpers on CPU J205 that setup/volume works, and confirming continuity in the wire harness from CPU J205 to CDI J1 (which all took about 40 minutes) I started looking at the ground wires going into the CDI. Tracing back to the coin door, yep...a couple of wires broke loose from a coin mech switch. A little too much play in those wires....it probably got caught on the cabinet when opening and closing the coin door a bazillion times.

So what have I learned?
1 - Keep trying to heed "all things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the right one". When you lose the functionality of 4 switches at the same time, it's gotta be something common between the switches....like ground.

2 - In issues with the coin door, test everything and look for clues. While I tested Coin Chute #2 (and it worked), I did not test Coin Chute #1. Had I, I would've found it didn't work and I could troubleshoot that. Had I troubleshot that...I would've found the broken ground wire and further discovered that the Coin Chute #1 ground is daisy-chained to the 4-bank service buttons (something not terribly clear in the schematics). Doh!

No, the broken wires didn't look like that when I found them. They were covered by the plastic shroud that goes over the coin mech switch. At a glance, with the wires going into that plastic shroud, everything looked fine. Didn't find the issue until I took off the plastic shroud.

Coin Door Ground Wire (resized).jpgCoin Door Ground Wire (resized).jpg
#5328 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

There is a setting in the menu that controls how many times you can select light lock from the ball launch to prevent players from reaching Borg MB without even manually ever lighting / locking a single ball. Should be in feature adjustments but I don't remember exactly what it's called.
Edit: It's called Skill Lock Count in the Feature Adjs.[quoted image]

Yep - it was set to NONE. And I found a few other changed values in setup that weren't my doing. My son fessed up....may be time to hide the coin door key.

#5330 3 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

Please don't use this as the baseline. Use the original ultimate mix as the baseline. Seriously, this version is 100% trash. Lots of noise, DB way off. A disgrace to the original ultimate mix honestly.

100% trash? That's a little harsh - I still like this package very much and appreciate his effort. Replaced 7 or 8 music pieces I like better, put in the Ultramix end of ball bonus sounds (which I really like), and normalized all files so that they're all within 1db of each other tonight. Took about an hour. Will probably tweak a few more sounds (I kinda like the original SFX for asteroid explosions and Borg ship hits). Haven't noticed any "noise" yet.

1 week later
#5375 3 years ago

I put the extenders in mine about 3 or 4 months ago (took several weeks to get here from Portugal as all the US vendors were sold out). Doesn't feel like cheating to me - it has cut down on the side drains but not dramatically so. IMO, it just now seems more fair.

2 weeks later
#5399 3 years ago

New personal best for me this afternoon! No I did not take the glass off! It was just one of those games where most everything went right.

- Game took 52 minutes to complete
- 3-ball setting
- All factory default settings except for kickback....set to Easy
- Picked up x5 extra balls along the way
- Had 10B after the first ball (25 minutes!) with x3 extra balls stacked up
- Completed all missions on the first ball with x2 of each element for 2B extra points
- By the end of the game, I had x5 of the first three elements and x4 of the Singing Stone
- Completed all missions x3 times collecting 2B, 3B, and 4B
- Completed Warp 9 task on the first ball
- Completed Romulan and Cardassian missions x2 each but oddly I did not trigger the Ferengi mission the whole game
- I lost count of how many Picard Maneuver callouts I got
- Battled the Borg x4 times
- Out of x8 total balls, x3 were drains within 30 seconds of launching
- Previous best was 25B but that was on a 5-ball setting

Whew! That was fun!

KVWHS (resized).jpgKVWHS (resized).jpg

#5410 3 years ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

Anyone know what part #'s these two posts are? My lower post that goes into the playfield has the threads of the top post broken off in it and the top hex wireform support is completely missing. Here's a pic of what I need (PC: Pezpunk). I found what I think might be the hex post on PPS site.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I think it's just one post, and the wireform screws into the top of it. I got my post from Marco's last year but it's no longer in stock:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=02-4934

1 month later
#5553 2 years ago
Quoted from Redwizard000:

What do you think, specifically for the STTNG, about the LCD vs LED ColorDMD debate? I am really thinking LED, myself.

FWIW, I went with LCD. I prefer the "smoothness" of it vs. the "brightness" you get with LED. It's all subjective, just depends on what you like to see. There's no wrong answer with this particular debate.

#5560 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Pinsound quality is meh? 2.1 Digital Stereo with multiple sound track mixes? meh? It's not really just an improvement to the original sound, it's entire sound replacement. Equal to the upgrade of a color dmd. Pinsound is a drastic enhancement to your machine.

I think he might mean the current sound quality of his STTNG is "meh", hence he might look into a Pinsound upgrade....

"I might look in to a Pinsound upgrade as well, the sound quality is kinda meh."

I'll add that upgrading to Pinsound was a game changer for me as well. With the stock sound system, the majority of the audio came out of the left speaker only....so much so that I thought there was something wrong until I found an STTNG onsite at a location and it did the same. With Pinsound, full 2.1 stereo and at a louder volume, it's quite immersive. I'm having fun making my own sound packages, too. Almost ready to post mine to the Pinsound community.

#5583 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Mick's Pinball - Star Trek Next Generation Start Mission LED Mod

Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Mick's Pinball - Star Trek Next Generation Engine Lighting Mod

Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Mick's Pinball has developed a NEW MOD for the Star Trek Next Generation pinball. Animated Dome Flashers

Each of these upcoming mods from Mick's is cool on its own, but I wouldn't want all three in my STTNG at the same time....it'd be too distracting. If I had to pick just one, I think I'd get the Engine Lighting Mod. The pulsing seems appropriate in bringing the engine "to life" while being nice and subtle.

#5618 2 years ago

This has to be a scam, but if any of you are in OK this may be worth checking out: STTNG for $1K.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/1202781468

#5626 2 years ago
Quoted from jadziedzic:

The connectors used in these games typically have a "mating cycle" count in the range of a couple of dozen removals and insertions. Each cycle contributes to the eventual degradation of the contact in the connector (the contact begins to lose tension after a certain number of mating cycles), which can lead to intermittent issues.

I'd have to agree. In the industry, this is known as the "contact durability cycle". Modern-day molex connectors CDC is in the 100's last time I saw a data sheet on it. Older ones from the 70's/80's/90's I've got no idea, but I'd have to guess it's less given that the older games were more or less considered disposable after a certain amount of time. IDC connectors I'd imagine are even less durable.

2 weeks later
#5712 2 years ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

I always thought that if you get the LED OCD you won't need the GI OCD on top? Do we actually need both?

For Williams WPC95/WPC89 games, you need both. http://ledocd.com/faq.html

#5737 2 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

picked it up yesterday for £500/$700!!!

Holy crap! That's the deal of the year so far, IMO. Congrats!!!

1 week later
#5794 2 years ago

Anyone know where I can get a working proximity board for the lane returns? I couldn't find it when I looked last year and the aftermarket piece I got was the wrong thing. If anyone has an extra one or has successfully replaced theirs, please let me know.

Proximity board = Eddy board? If that's what you're talking about, here's where I got mine: ebay.com link: itm It took forever to get here (nearly 5 weeks....Australia to Denver) but it works great in my STTNG, the guy who makes them has great service, and it's not that expensive. Listing shows he has 2 left but he's still making them so that number should go up.

#5795 2 years ago

SantaEatsCheese - if you need the cable harness too, that might be a harder find. The seller (eBay) I got mine from appears to no longer make them and Marco's is out of stock as well. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-17064. You could ask the guy in Australia who makes the replacement Eddy PCB if he also does the cable harness, too.

2 weeks later
#5916 2 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

A few hundred? The plus board is over 400. Where can I get one cheaper

I haven't priced them lately, but I picked up my Plus for $369.95 and the 2.1 Speaker Kit for $129.95 back in February direct from the Pinsound guys in France. Plus $80 shipping (yikes). But it arrived in less than a week and I've been a very happy camper since getting it installed and making my own custom STTNG mix.

#5919 2 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Yeah that’s a better price then what I was seeing on pinsound’s web site

Wow...I just checked Pinsound's website and indeed, the Plus jumped $74 since I bought it on their website in February!

#5929 2 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Where can I get a list of all screws/fasteners that are used on this pin? I’ve been changing some of the post rubbers and noticed some of the screws look old and need replacing.

Download the STTNG Operations Guide and Parts List: https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2357

1 week later
#5990 2 years ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

do any of you gurus have some detailed photos of the single drop target at the back?

There are nearly 2000 STTNG photos in this thread (probably half of them from @Pin_Guy, lol!) - my guess is you can probably find whatever you're looking for already. Quick search found this:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/11#post-3165559

1 week later
#6071 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I don't know if I will because I don't like the delay the pinsound has when you first turn it on while waiting on the firmware of the card to boot.

It depends on how many different soundtracks you have on the same USB. I keep 7 or 8 different ones on one USB stick when I want to sample others work and get ideas for my own soundtrack. That does add some boot time for the Pinsound to be ready. But after creating my own soundtrack, one that I play with 99% of the time, I keep that on its own USB stick. With just the one, Pinsound is ready almost immediately after turning on the game.

Here's an example - the game is turned on at 4 seconds, the game is ready at 14 seconds, and the Pinsound board is ready at 17 seconds (only 3 seconds after the game is booted). Not bad.

The sound for this video is being taken directly from the Pinsound's RCA out jacks into my OBS rig on my laptop, so there's no ambient flipper or cannon movement noise. I'm playing around with different stuff (lighting, sound, player cam, player audio, etc.) so this is a WIP. I'd spend more time on this but I just started a Meteor restoration and I'm really into that right now for my spare time.

#6084 2 years ago

Here's a video showcasing the custom Pinsound soundtrack I assembled for my STTNG. I took elements of soundtrack packages from Jedimastermatt, Pinballshark, and PinHead and then added my own touches. I reached into Star Trek Beyond, TOS, and Into Darkness for some music cuts.

In addition to the Pinsound board, I also have their upgraded 2.1 speakers and subwoofer in my cabinet...sometimes the bass in the soundtrack shakes my flipper cam mounted to the lockbar, so apologies in advance if it makes you dizzy.

I took elements of soundtrack packages from Jedimastermatt, Pinballshark, and PinHead and then added my own touches.

Speech is pretty much the same as original although I did re-encode the files and increased their amplitude a bit. You can hear the custom SFX and background music for things like "mission select", "mission ready", "end theme", etc. throughout the video. Here are some time indexes for specific custom music to sample:

Startup
Holodeck message: 00:16

Music
Rescue Mission #1: 00:45
Time Rift Mission #1: 01:45
Shuttle Simulation #1: 02:48 (left flipper button stuck and I crashed into the cavern wall)
Worm Hole Mission: 03:23
Borg Multiball #1: 04:15
Search the Galaxy Mission: 06:20
Asteroid Threat Mission #1: 07:04
Q's Challenge Mission #1: 08:06 (with two wicked saves at 08:29 and 08:39)
Shuttle Simulation #2: 09:13 (made it thru this time)
Battle Simulation #1: 09:53
Romulan Multiball: 11:11 (lots of bass/flipper camera shake here)
Final Frontier #1: 11:58 (6 Artifacts)
Battle Simulation #2: 13:29
Ferengi Multiball: 14:50
Q's Challenge Mission #2: 17:31
Riker's Poker: 18:07
Rescue Mission #2: 19:06 (rescued everyone this time)
Asteroid Threat Mission #2: 20:05
Time Rift Mission #2: 21:29
Borg Multiball #2: 22:07
Bought in one more ball: 23:12
Final Frontier #2: 23:15 (11 Artifacts)
End Theme: 24:53

While I triggered most everything, I didn't get to Cardassian Multiball this particular game.

This afternoon, I submitted the soundtrack (STTNG_Mathazar_Mix_v1.7.zip) to Pinsound for inclusion on the community site, but it needs to be approved by one of their moderators before it's posted. Watch for it soon.

#6101 2 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

So I got my subway diverters all cleaned up. Is the diverter shaft supposed to be greased or lubed?

Please reference this post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/9#post-3109983

#6185 2 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

I guess not. I’ve asked for some advice and help on multiple occasions and I get no responses. Did I do something wrong ?

I see lots of people answering questions in your posts (me included, at least for Pinsound questions). Support isn't real-time around here....as much as we try not to, most of us do have lives outside of reading pinball forums. Might take a few days or more to get answers you're looking for....sometimes never if no one simply has a good response to share.

What are your latest questions that have gone unanswered?

#6210 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

BS ... Marco is usually higher than just about everyone for the same parts. If they’re paying $70 for this part they need to find a new supplier.

That's why you need to shop around. I love Marco's - they ship same day (usually) and if not the same day, the next day. Their support is EXCELLENT. Email them questions, they get back to you in a few hours. Forget something with your order? They'll try to get it in for you before your original order ships (but it's usually shipped already!). They ship you the wrong thing (this has happened to me ONCE in 3 years and 50+ orders)? They'll advance ship you the right thing and either not have you send back the wrong thing (if it's cheap) or they'll email you a prepaid USPS or UPS shipping label to send it back.

Some things are more expensive on Marcos, other things are not. But when you're trying to find that hard-to-find part I know I get giddy when someone has it stock. Plus...it's always convenient to get all or most of your stuff in one order from one place....I don't mind paying a few $$ extra for that convenience as Marco's consistently has more in stock (at least stuff I'm looking for) vs. other places.

Still - shop around. Marco's, Pinball Life, Pinball Resources, Planetary Pinball (a great place for 22 and 18 AWG wire, BTW....$1.70 to $2.25 for 10 feet, and they usually stock most all of the color combinations), Big Daddy, Great Plains Electronics, etc. are all great resources. For bigger ticket items (Alltek boards, CPR backglasses/playfields/plastics, LED displays, etc.) it usually cheaper to buy direct from the makers unless you want to save on shipping charges and bundle that stuff into larger Marcos/etc order.

1 week later
#6388 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

PinSound isn't just better quality audio/music, it's a total and complete sound UPGRADE to the machine. It allows custom music packages to be added, providing for an game refresh.
Love it, and worth the $$

While I love being able to customize my own soundtrack with my Pinsound, my favorite part of the upgrade is the ability to covert from 1.1 monaural to 2.1 stereo. I'm a bit of an audiophile, and it always bugged me that the pin's sound predominately emanated from the larger left speaker - it felt so unbalanced. STTNG was my first Williams DMD era game, and I actually thought there was something wrong with my sound board, speakers, or filter caps when I first acquired it and shopped it out. Come to find out it's by design. Pinsound to the rescue!

#6394 2 years ago

Hundreds of games played in 18 months of ownership, and this has never happened to me.

During one of the missions (Time Rift) today the ball caught so much air on a hit that it flew right up into the right cannon. The cannon light came on, and Picard said "launch a probe". I hit the target that was lit and was awarded a free game. The Time Rift mission then resumed from where it left off.

Nice to see the 28 year old software handle that unusual sequence!

3 weeks later
#6519 2 years ago
Quoted from koji:

Hello TNG club, I was wondering about issues related to the right phaser. I've noticed mine is quite slow, I figured I would need to clean it out and service it.. but when powering the machine on at first, I noticed it is moving much more quickly, like I presume it should? I was wondering if there might be something else going on here? some setting or reason it would move more slowly in game only? The left seems much faster.
Thank you-

The cannon will move slowly during ball search check if the plunger is stuck open either because the sleeve is dirty/catching on the plunger, or maybe the plunger is magnetized from years of use and getting stuck open.

1 week later
#6542 2 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Is there a master bulb list somewhere that someone has compiled ? I’m wanting to LED out my machine and also am thinking about LED OCD. Thanks !

If you can't find the spreadsheet to download, here's a picture of the chart (playfield only, no backbox).

STTNG Bulb Chart (resized).jpgSTTNG Bulb Chart (resized).jpg
1 month later
#6621 2 years ago

The plungers on both my cannons are sticking and not returning. I think they need to be demagnetized as the coil sleeves are clean and smooth and the mechs are not binding up at all.

I don't have a demagnetizer or degausser - I found this nice cheap one that does both magnetize and demagnetize. Would this be sufficient? Does anyone have a recommendation for a tool? Thanx in advance...

https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-40010-Magnetizer-or-Demagnetizer/dp/B00018AONE/ref=psdc_553336_t1_B00PBCDRN4

1 week later
#6652 2 years ago
Quoted from horseflesh:

Holy smokes I think you just helped me fix a flaky cannon. Somehow, I didn't realize the plungers could get magnetized. Once in a blue moon I have a weak shot or a failure to retract despite everything being clean and all the electrical connections being solid.

Yep. All I did was slowly pass the plunger thru this cheap demagnitizer I picked up for $5 on Amazon. Plunger no longer sticks. I'll see how long it lasts but for now I'm happy.

Demag (resized).jpgDemag (resized).jpg
#6673 2 years ago

My license plate for years before moving to Colorado....

RTFM (resized).JPGRTFM (resized).JPG
3 weeks later
#6799 2 years ago

While this may be a longshot, this happened to me when I picked up my STTNG a year or so ago. Check and make sure your flipper bats are indeed Williams.
When I got mine (which needed a shop job something terrible), someone had put in Data East bats (slightly shorter than Williams) and it was extremely difficult to get up the Delta ramp....every once in a blue moon, I'd make it up there. I put in new Williams bats and I started making the Delta ramp much more frequently. After the shop job, which included flipper rebuilds (but I kept the original coils), I'm able to get up the Delta ramp all the time now pretty easily.

3 weeks later
#6902 2 years ago
Quoted from mtadams29:

Machines powers up no problem, start button begins a game but no ball is put in play, and the flippers are dead.

Are any coils working (slings, pops)? Coin door closed?

3 months later
#7447 2 years ago

My license plate from when I lived in Florida....

RTFM (resized).JPGRTFM (resized).JPG
2 months later
#7729 1 year ago
Quoted from tectonyc:

Our TNG still has the original press fit molex connectors (?) and one wire soldered straight to the pin. Does anyone have a link to how to replace them with crimped on/more permanent connectors? I need the "rewiring for dummies" version, if possible.

This re-wiring tutorial may be a good place to start for you:

3 weeks later
#7804 1 year ago

Time to fix a previous owner's hack that I should've fixed 2 years ago when I first got the machine. When I got this STTNG back in March 2020, I did the following:

- Full top-side tear down, cleaning (including ultrasonic and tumbling for metal bits), and waxing
- New balls and rubbers
- Tie Back mod
- LED conversion (both GI and Control)
- Added ColorDMD
- Added PinSound, including new speakers and stereo cable
- Re-pinned most connectors in the backbox and corrected some fairly bad wiring hack jobs

The hack job left over is in trough wiring. I left it alone because, frankly, it was working, reliable, and I wanted to play.

Now a couple of years later, I'm getting intermittent opto issues in the trough and the game loses track of how many balls are in play. It's usually Trough SW1 and Trough SW2 that are incorrect. The PCBs seem ok....I can wiggle the wires at the IDC connector and get the switches to work. Here's the ugly looking hack, with Ground and +12V soldered directly to each of the trough PCBs and not part of either connector housing:

Trough Wiring (resized).jpgTrough Wiring (resized).jpg

I can wiggle the flaky wires into place and keep playing, but it's time to fix this right. I'm not fan of IDC connectors and had planned on re-pinning these as Molex, but most of these wires "loop" into the IDC connector. How do I convert to the Molex type pin? Cut the loop of the wire, creating two ends, and crimp a pin onto those two ends?

1 week later
#7825 1 year ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Time to fix a previous owner's hack that I should've fixed 2 years ago when I first got the machine.

As a reminder, this previous owner's hack worked for me for a couple of years but lately I've experienced opto errors in the trough that can be corrected by wiggling wires. Between the direct-solder-to-the-board hacks and an aging IDC connector, it's time to make it right.

Took the plunge today and started with the easier of the two boards (just a few wires). I've decided to go with the method of soldering the two wires together to a new, single splice wire, cover that splice with heat shrink tubing, and crimp on .100 pins to the single wires going into new Molex connectors.

Here's what I started with:
IMG_1836 (resized).jpgIMG_1836 (resized).jpg

Spliced each two wire set to a single 20AWG wire, covered with heat shrink tubing, and crimped on .100 pins.
IMG_1837 (resized).jpgIMG_1837 (resized).jpg

Stuck the pins into a new Molex connector. I didn't have any 5 position .100 connectors in my stash, but I had plenty of 10's. I cut one down to 5.
IMG_1839 (resized).jpgIMG_1839 (resized).jpg

....and the connector gets plugged into the trough board for the first time in who knows how long.
IMG_1840 (resized).jpgIMG_1840 (resized).jpg

Fired the game up and everything works as it did before (with wiggling the wires in the IDC connector) so I haven't lost any ground. Will tackle the bigger task of doing the same repair to the IDC connector tomorrow or Thursday.

#7827 1 year ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Stepping back for a second to compliment you on getting things to work. Maybe it's time to invest in some new trough opto boards....they are not expensive. The .100 connectors aren't difficult to rebuild either. I get the whole save a $ thing.....however your $10,000. machine is worth the $100 investment.

Thanks, Eric. I thought about that, but with the exception of the tie-back mod I usually fall in the camp of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I need to do the connectors now for obvious reasons. Assuming the trough optos are working 100% after re-pinning and converting to Molex, I'll continue to play and enjoy the game. If/when more trough issues crop up, I'll buy new boards and swap them out (which should be an easy 10 minute process after getting rid of the hard-wired kludge where wires were soldered directly to the PCBs).

Funny thing - I do love my STTNG but I haven't played it much lately....been on a BKSoR, Meteor, and STPro kick. When I played my STTNG for the first time in a couple of months a few weeks ago, I immediately hit this trough wiring issue. Now that it's been down waiting for me to finish the re-pinning, I've been dying to play it.....and I can't yet. You always seem to want what you don't or can't have!

#7829 1 year ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

You should not have to solder to the boards (as seen in the photos) and it's an example of previous "hacks" and "work-arounds" to get it to work in a previous life.

Wow, thanks for the newsflash.

Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Reliability is important when having a pinball machine. The ball trough boards are critical to the machine knowing it has all the balls properly staged. Here is my machine with new boards (not expensive), rebuilt connectors and the new improved "rail system". Hope this helps.

For the last two years and 600+ games after shopping my STTNG upon acquisition, this pin has indeed been reliable. In fact, I chose not to correct this particular previous owner hack at shop time BECAUSE of that reliability and the thought that I'd address it at the point it may eventually fail. This pin was going in my basement with my other pins for home use, not being routed onsite where I'm depending on it for collecting money. Well, now I'm at that point - and my diagnosis is that the failure is due to the deterioration of a nearly 30-year old IDC connector.

Like I said in my original post, if after re-pinning the connectors my Trough #2 opto again works reliably, I'm moving on to enjoy my game. If I still experience some intermittent issues, I'll invest the $70 in some replacement boards and shipping costs from Pinball Life. Simple as that.

And BTW - I don't appreciate you using MY photos of MY machine in your Facebook group posting this morning as examples of what should be fixed. If you asked me beforehand about using my photos, I would've said "sure, I don't care". But not asking me first and making another preachy post wasn't exactly a classy move.

#7832 1 year ago

Trough board connectors re-pinned and converted to Molex. Of the 10 wires, I had the correct colors for 7 of them in my parts and materials stash. I substituted White-Red with Red-White, Gray-Yellow with Gray, and White-Violet with White out of necessity.

IMG_1871 (resized).jpgIMG_1871 (resized).jpg

Played a dozen games after buttoning the system back up and ran through all of the missions and all of the multiballs, including Final Frontier. Game and ball tracking is solid again, but my son and I will put on a few more dozen games this weekend to be sure. For now, no need to scrap out the Trough PCBs IMO.

IMG_1868 (resized).jpgIMG_1868 (resized).jpgIMG_1870 (resized).jpgIMG_1870 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#7839 1 year ago
Quoted from oradke:

Damn, what a score!! I‘m positively jealous.
Did you post it on Pindigo? You‘d be #25 on the global top scores list.

My personal best set last year (5-ball setting). After several 15B+ scores I did finally switch it to 3-ball.

KVWHS (resized).jpgKVWHS (resized).jpg
#7842 1 year ago
Quoted from Tallon:

Anyone have a parts game or specifically a right cannon assembly. Rustylizard and I grabbed a project and we know it needs the top parts for sure. Not sure on the motor assembly. Any help with parts would be much appreciated

Shopping list to get you started. All show as in stock.

Wire Looms
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/H-17067

Motor
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-17562

Motor Bracket
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-11799-R

Gun Plastic
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-17750

Shaft
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-17080

Kicker Bracket
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-17083

Plate Nut
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-11798

Crank Arms
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8619 (small)
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8620 (large)

3 weeks later
#7948 1 year ago

What pinsound mix are you guys using? I just set up the ultimate mix and I'm a bit disappointed. Callouts are neither custom nor loud enough and music keeps cutting out. Will try another mix or throw on LOTR soon. I know lots of effort went into these so thanks in any case.

I made this mix last year: https://www.pinsound-community.org/index.php?/files/file/375-sttng_mathazar_mix_v17zip/. One of the first things I did was normalized all files (Music to 89.9db, SFX to 91db, Voice to 91.5db). The link also has a 26min video demo.

3 weeks later
#7996 1 year ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Anyone done the roller-arm-switch update to their gun rotating mech? Do you have a part # for the microswitch?

I've never tried to locate one for sale, but here's the assembly drawing.

EDIT: Whoops - wrong drawing. Looking for the gun assembly.....

STTNG Catapult Assembly (resized).jpgSTTNG Catapult Assembly (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#8076 1 year ago
Quoted from goldgrae:

I am a complete beginner to soldering -- is there a way to simply desolder the pins? Or does the board need more work?

As Thor-NL points out, the pins themselves look pretty good and could be used for a new connector if you can clean off all the solder. A handheld/manual solder sucker/pump would work and it's cheap - $5 or so. But they're pain to work with. You could use solder wicking (cheap as well), but that could also be a pain. If you can invest a couple hundred bucks (and if you do future board repair involving desoldering), a desoldering station is a great investment and would make quick work of cleaning those pins of solder. Something like:

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Desoldering-Station-Anesty-Professional/dp/B07542D82F/ref=sr_1_6

Any method you choose, do a search on YouTube and I'm sure you'll find examples of how to do each of them.

1 week later
#8100 1 year ago

I still love Inner Light and actually stop what I'm doing and watch it if I'm channel surfing and it's on (BBC America runs a lot of STTNG back to back). That, and Darmok.

"I'm not crying, you are!"

#8127 1 year ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Well that's good to know. But how do you get all the balls out of the subway?

Go into the game's setup, select TESTS, select the last test CLR OUT BALLS, close the coin door, and catch all 6 balls as they're ejected out onto the playfield.

2 months later
#8366 1 year ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:

I am looking at OCD boards for my new baby, I gather the LED one is likely more important as I may leave incandescent in the shields inserts on the GI circuit. Where do folks physically mount these boards if I get one or both of them? Thanks

I have the OCD board mounted on the bottom right of the backbox and the LED board mounted on the left side of the backbox. I don't have a pic of my LED board by here's my OCD board.

OCB Board Installed (resized).jpgOCB Board Installed (resized).jpg
#8368 1 year ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

First time I'm hearing of these OCD boards. What do they benefit to they provide? Thanks

Prevents flickering when systems fade the GI bulbs and on inserts/control lamps in general. You need two boards - the LED OCD for inserts and GI OCD for general illumination. Read up on them here, buy thru Comet Pinball:

http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=22

http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=24

#8370 1 year ago
Quoted from Days:

I bought 3, 2 of them never worked, i used different laptops , different cables, installed software etc etc... never regonised.
I contacted the creator, i started to give me online help trying to solve the problem but he ended by stop answering my mails...
Quite disappointing....

That's surprising - worked for me right out of the box on my Win10 laptop. The software UI was kinda clunky with a 90's feel, but serviceable. I played around with it for an afternoon, get the settings I wanted (which didn't stray far at all from the defaults) and have never run the SW again.

#8380 1 year ago

Amazing game!
Looking at your collection. You will be fine. If you look at the pinside map, there are around 100 STTNG on route in the USA vs 200 Fish Tales despite similar age and production ammounts. https://pinside.com/pinball/map/mapbox#3.85/36.2/-94.87/0/26 Look at what is on Fish Tales and then what is in STTNG. Fish Tales only real break point is what... the reel lock?
STTNG has 30ish optos, any one of which breakng can hose your game. The photon launch guns are a common break point as well. There was a grounding issue that has to be fixed with a tieback mod to prevent issues. There are a few ribbon cables that if plugged in wrong can smoke multiple coils.
I personally love mine. It's my favoite game, but it wasn't my first game. If you get STTNG up and running it can keep going for a while but it doesn't like to get moved. If you get one, I would recommend throwing new cannon looms in it. For lack of a better way of putting it, there is a pack of about 7 wires hooked up to a unique connector that goes to each cannon. These wires get contorted multiple times every game, and they can have internal breaks that cause all sorts of weird issues. Replacing these bulletproofs the cannons pretty good. You also need to have a couple of spare optos. Overall, its really not that bad, but intermediate troubleshooting skills are needed. If you buy one you need to be able to do field repairs with a soldering iron. Boards can be replaced easily at a cost, but you will inevitably have to replace an opto or 14.
I would expect to have to fix a handful of things no matter what the seller says in the first month of ownership, and then to fix something else every 500 to 1000 plays. If you are keeping Super Man working you'll do fine with Star Trek.
Good luck!

That's an excellent and accurate summary, and perfectly describes my experience owning an STTNG for the last 2.5 years, lol!

2 weeks later
#8496 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

My wife did good this year. What mix should I put on it? I rather something that still has the original feel and isn’t a complete wild makeover.

I shamelessly plug my mix. Included in the link is a video example so if it's not your cup of tea, you don't have to bother with downloading/installing it.

https://www.pinsound-community.org/index.php?/files/file/375-sttng_mathazar_mix_v17zip/

3 weeks later
#8600 1 year ago

Not adjustable in terms of length of time, just ON or OFF. From the manual:

A.2 Feature Adjustments
#12 - Return to Duty
This is a ball saving feature. The ball is returned to the player if it is drained at the beginning of ball-in-play.

ON = The ball is returned to the player.
OFF = The ball is not returned to the player.

#8606 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

"Don't Move" - Worf
"Here is another chance" - Troy
I think there's one more that's used for ball save I'm forgetting.

"Here's your ball back" - Q

#8609 1 year ago
Quoted from ArcadeDanger:

I've never heard this one before, when does this one get triggered? When you get a 3rd return to duty or is it just random which one of the 3 you get?

Out of nearly 3 years of STTNG ownership and constant weekly (sometimes daily) play, I've only heard this a couple of times myself. I'm GUESSING that maybe if you start the Q mission very quickly at ball launch and your ball drains with RETURN TO DUTY flashing that it triggers this sound bite. I'll have to test that theory with the glass off when I get the time.

2 weeks later
#8633 1 year ago
Quoted from Kenz:

Any new roms or pinsound mixes worth updating for on STTNG.

Pinsound mixes are distributed via their user forum: https://www.pinsound-community.org/index.php?/files/category/32-star-trek-tng/. Last new one uploaded in May 2022.

#8644 1 year ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

I should be getting my pinsound and speakers in soon. Which Ultimate do you suggest? Seems there are three titled that. Is is from Jedimaster, Mathazar, or Pinballshark? When I had this game several years ago, I had downloaded PinballShark's version and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'll put a plug in there for mine, lol. In that download section for the pinsound files, I posted a link to a 20 minute video of my STTNG so you can hear my pinsound package as the game is played.

2 months later
#8975 12 months ago

Funny - when I got my STTNG a few years ago, my 5-pin connectors were also wired on directly to the board.
IMG_1836 (resized).jpgIMG_1836 (resized).jpg

The wire lengths were too short to make the journey to the other side of the PCB and be in a proper connector without undo stress, so I spliced in extensions.
IMG_1840 (resized).jpgIMG_1840 (resized).jpg

Here's the wiring diagram from the manual if it helps.
Wiring (resized).jpgWiring (resized).jpg

#8979 12 months ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

!= (or <> or "does not equal")

Indeed.

Wiring2 (resized).jpgWiring2 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#9082 11 months ago

If you'll take suggestions from others besides Eric

Fixes: Tie Back. Hands down.

Upgrades: Pinsound narrowly beats out ColorDMD (at least for me)

Mods: If money were no object, just about any of @eric_manuel's mods. With money being an object, I'd say color-matching LEDs for inserts with retro warm white LEDs for GI. However, with STTNG, that also means an upgrade of sorts....to properly do LEDs in a Williams WPC game you need to drive them with LED OCD and GI OCD boards.

3 months later
#9526 7 months ago
Quoted from Electronmagic:

What options are out there for backboard decals?

Couple here (Borg one looks interesting): https://www.pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/STTNG_Page.html

One here: https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/star-trek-the-next-generation-pinpanel

The latter one is nice as it's a graphical continuation of pingraffix's side blades (https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/star-trek-the-next-generation-pinblades)

2 weeks later
#9583 7 months ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Is pinsound worth it for this game?

Yes

#9595 6 months ago
Quoted from radium:

Late reply but, I put pinsound in my game after this thread recommended it. For the money, it’s just “ok” for me. It’s definitely an upgrade if you have cash to burn but I enjoyed the game just as much before. I’ll probably move it to the IJ I’m building.

If you didn't replace the factory speakers, sub, and wire for stereo you're missing out on lot of the Pinsound benefit. Still, for me, while the sound quality is drastically improved I get the most fun out of creating my own soundtracks to run through Pinsound. Probably helps that I'm a die hard Trek fan as well. Hope it works well for you in IJ!

3 months later
#9816 3 months ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Pinsound - I think I need to see/hear one in a game before I drop that coin.

For me the customization you can do with the soundtracks is just as fun / impressive as the sound quality itself. It's a chunk of change, but worth it at least to me. I think I dropped about $650 for the Pinsound board, stereo kit, upgraded speakers, and sub (about 2.5 years ago).

#9825 3 months ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

This was cool. Not cheap as you mentioned.
Gotta be honest though I HIGHLY doubt I would ever have the time or patience to do custom sound work. I am all for better sound and usually change speakers and what not in my games (which I know I want to do for this game when I get it as it is still 100% stock) but if all I do is run the stock soundtrack I don't think its worth the $650 plus for the Pinsound package - and was that just for the audio side of things or was that for audio and shaker package?
What pinsound stuff should be ordered anyway as their site confuses me with all these packages.
Appreciate your feedback!

Prices are indeed up from when I bought 3 years ago (I opted not to get a shaker....may add one when I put in my new STTNG playfield):
Pinsound Invoice (resized).jpgPinsound Invoice (resized).jpg
I played with the original soundtrack for weeks before I made my own. I don't think it sounded crappy at all....the Pinsound's stereo conversion from the original mono probably had a lot to do with that, giving it a deeper, richer sound out of the box. But the sound quality really improved when I added my own music from high quality CD rips, replaced/updated some sound effects, and leveled the audio amplitude of all the files on my computer before putting them into a soundtrack. The Pinsound community site has over a dozen STTNG soundtracks submitted by users, free to download and try:

https://www.pinsound-community.org/index.php?/files/category/32-star-trek-tng/

Changing soundtracks takes only a few minutes.

#9885 3 months ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

thanks for this post. I like the special security screws on the plaque, legit!

More on the Jonathan Frakes sale of his STTNG. I think the guy who posted this on pinside wound up buying it and I saw pictures of it from him somewhere....it was in rougher shape than I expected.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-price-discussion-thread/page/17#post-7549110

#9886 3 months ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Another thing to consider, as "COLD SOLDER JOINTS". This will require removing each board, and reflowing the solder on every/all of the connectors locations on the back of the board. Dozens of problems go away magically when this task is done. Careful when doing each spot, as to no "bridge" two pins together.
However will a machine like yours appears to be, I know it's not been done. Especially on the connector locations with burns. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Besides poor repair work or aging solder, another reason to do this - people tend to "roll" the connector off of the stakes by pulling up one side more forcibly that the other. That puts repeated stress on the end pins which, over the years, have a tendency to make the pin stakes break away from the solder and create the cold solder joint.

#9936 89 days ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

Did the connectors to the ball trough normally look like this? Obviously not the bodge wires soldered directly to the board, but the connector even looks wrong given the angle it's bent at.
Any advice for repining/reconnecting? I'm getting occasional extra balls and feel like I have to start with this mess before looking at much else.
[quoted image]

That seems to be a popular hack - my STTNG was like that when I first got it as well. I've spent the last couple of years slowly getting rid of hacks like that in mine while still playing almost daily! She's getting taken apart this summer tho when my new playfield is ready from Ron Kruzman.

IMG_1836 (resized).jpgIMG_1836 (resized).jpgIMG_1837 (resized).jpgIMG_1837 (resized).jpgIMG_1840 (resized).jpgIMG_1840 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#10109 62 days ago
Quoted from jibmums:

I'd like to pull it, wash it off with dish soap and water, rinse & blow with compressed air, rinse again with 91% alcohol and blow dry with compressed air again. Is there even the slightest chance of this damaging the board at all?

Back in the late 80's at the start of my engineering career, I wrote assembly code, provided tech support, and performed QA testing for a hardware based RAID controller company. In those days, all of our ISA and EISA based controller 4-layer PCBs were hand assembled with thru-hole IC's and components. At the end of our hallway were two consumer line dishwashers - after the assembly crew would finish 40 boards, each dishwasher got 20 of them to run a hot water rinse cycle for 90 minutes with a mild detergent. Those were the days - less than 10 years later, we had a dedicated manufacturing facility built down the street with 90% of the 12-layer boards built via automation using pick and place machines with surface mount parts. And a huge industrial-sized washer (about the size of a standard mini-van) that washed 150 boards at a time with a special solution, then dried them.

In other words, like the others have said, you'll be fine washing your board if you let it dry.

Caveat - do not wash PCBs if they have relays or microswitch devices on them. You don't want to chance water getting inside those.

1 month later
#10334 10 days ago

I know I may be in the minority (and that's fine), but I absolutely love Pinsound. I'm somewhat of an amateur audiophile - for 40 years, I've made my own personal remixes of my favorite music. First with turntables and cassettes in the 80's, now with software and media files on my computer. I relished the opportunity to make my own custom soundtrack for my STTNG while at the same time, convert from mono to stereo and upgrade the speaker hardware as well. I cleaned up the callout media files to eliminate background noise and hiss and made them stereo. I replaced some with ones that I liked better, sampled off of my own Blu-ray rips from the show. I did the same with sound effects and music....hearing the asteroids pan from left to right or right to left is awesome, especially with a subwoofer. And for music, I didn't just limit it to the STTNG TV show....I also used music from the movies.

When the family isn't in the mood to hear or feel the rec room shaking with my STTNG Pinsound package, I just plug my headphones into the Pinsound jack and get lost in the game without annoying the rest of the people in the house.

ColorDMD is still my #1 upgrade followed closely by Pinsound. I have LX8 but have not installed it yet as my STTNG is in the middle of being torn down to swap in a new playfield (currently being re-cleared by Kruzman....should have it back this summer). Once I start playing with LX8, or LX9 if that's out by then, the new ROM code may challenge my top 2 STTNG upgrade spots. We'll see, and I'm looking forward to it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 64.99
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 85.00
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 63.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mathazar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club?tu=mathazar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.