Demag (resized).jpg
20211013_092720 (resized).jpg
SpkrPanel-WPC-5 (resized).jpg
aaf5417104e9d33a460775ac6d5e710bbd18f563 (resized).jpg
20211012_185456 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2194 Fix for low 12V voltage and slow cannons. Linked to ColorDMD Install. Posted by mavantix (3 years ago)

Post #2578 Hallmark Romulan Warbird modification Posted by Pin_Guy (2 years ago)

Post #2659 canon gearbox; detail photos of innards Posted by scooter8416 (2 years ago)

Post #4774 Tubing used for ends of flipper return lanes. Posted by Gogojohnnyquack (11 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lyonsden.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#332 5 years ago

I've joined the club. So very, very happy.

IMG_1860_(resized).jpeg

1 week later
1 month later
#543 5 years ago

If the ball is getting kicked out when flippers, slings are activated, it is probably because they are vibrating the game and causing an opto to break connection and appear to be blocked by a ball. Everything you describe is pointing to a flaky opto in your ball trough. The trough opto boards are notorious for failing. The resistor wires can break, the solder joints everywhere can break (cause a cold joint), the header can be tarnished and the plug to opto boards can be toasted.

You can take the boards out, reflow solder on everything and look for broken legs on resistors, or just get a new set of boards (improved design):

http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/index.html?http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/pinball/dcs_tr.html
http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/index.html?http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/pinball/dcs_tt.html

#574 5 years ago

I agree that power is cutting out to one/both of the opto boards. It could also be upstream in the 12V unregulated circuit coming from the power driver board. I had a similar problem and traced it to tarnished pins/plugs on J112. I replaced the header and the plug, and all has been good. The 12V unregulated circuit isn't too complicated to debug and it is at least easy to see if that is where the problem is by watching LED1 on the power driver board. If it is dims or periodically goes out when you get the whole set of optos being triggered, you know that is where the problem may likely be (or upstream in the transformer).

#596 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

It's not just me... everyone I've discussed this with tends to agree. The plastic tool just fails after a few connections.
But; it's possible my Neanderthal paws are making it worse.

Agreed -- the IDC "pusher" that pinball life sells does not last a long time. I bought one from digikey/mouser which has lasted a LONG time and then eventually upgraded to a gun style from AMP/TYCO because I was making a lot for the pinduino mod harnesses and wanted something that was MUCH faster to use.

1 month later
#660 5 years ago

Also the wiring harness.. .

3 weeks later
#679 5 years ago

Personally, I like frosted 1SMD for colored inserts (with flex heads where appropriate), and frosted 2SMD (cool white) for the GI. Then I would add two spots on the slings to brighten up the center of the PF which is too far away from the GI to be light and is normally quite dark.

2 years later
#2526 2 years ago

I finally had a chance to put programmable (addressable) LEDs on the ramps of a STTNG using a Pinduino. Been wanting to do this for a long time and am very happy with how it turned out.

Code is open source: https://github.com/elyons/professor_pinball_pinduino_sketches/tree/master/Star-Trek-TNG

Get a pinduino and go nuts!

#2529 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Nice work, not really my cup of tea but I can really appreciate the opportunities for customization. One thought I had during your video was when in a battle mode (Borg or Cardashians (sp?)) and no other shots recently hit it could pulse red for red alert. I know there's no call-out for it but it might be cool if not over-done. Thanks for sharing.

That is a great idea. I'll see if I can figure out a unique combination of flashers/motors that will let me detect one/both of those events (and then something to signal the canceling of them to return the LED ramp lights to "normal" behavior.)

Another idea I'd like to do is to use the pinduino to just drive LEDs in the Borg ship. It would be great to have it green (never understood why it has blue film in its cutouts) in normal play, and then flash red when hit in multiball.

#2532 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

On my STNG RearGI project; I connected up to the lamp and Flasher matrix with an opto matrix. On that project; I made "blue" or "green" borg an option.
The Borg ship is blue because if you watch the episode; the "Type 3 ship" which is based on has blue "windows".

Thanks for the info on the episode -- I'll need to go look that one up and rewatch it. Also, thanks for the link to your thread. That is one hell of a board you made (and I love your Klingon warbird boards). Would be fun to talk shop at some point.

#2537 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Come to TPF'19; and we can.

Would love to -- on my to do list, but not sure if it will be this year. I've only heard amazing things about TPF.

3 weeks later
#2579 2 years ago

I finished creating an interactive lighting mod for the Borg ship using a Pinduino. I love how this came out!

Code is open source: https://github.com/elyons/professor_pinball_pinduino_sketches/tree/master/Star-Trek-TNG-Borg-Ship

Instructions for making and install: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QDoO863FE4dWp3FHEwc2Je9srSBjR-u140ANjziPrn4

And I can make plug and play kits for people who are interested: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1025-professor-pinball/02169-pinduino-sttng-borg-ship-lighting

Of course, I like it when people make their own. If anyone goes that route, feel free to PM me if you have any questions (always happy to help). Also, let me know what you think of the code and if you have any suggestions.

#2589 2 years ago
Quoted from Twister:

Wow, Eric, this look really awesome.
Now this is a hard question for me, the borg pinduino, or the ramps pinduino
I think both is not possible

Thanks! Both can be connected and have that setup in my game. Pinduinos are stackable and I use one to control the ramps and one for the Borg ship. For the video, I turned off the ramps just so the ramps wouldn't overshadow the shop. I'll get a video together of both running -- the effects are pretty amazing.

#2592 2 years ago

Here is the video showing both the ramps and Borg ship being driven by Pinduinos. Two pinduinos are required and I've posted a photo of the stacked pinduinos in my STTNG. Damn, I love this game and so happy to have one back in my collection.

IMG_7834 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lyonsden.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside