IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2194 Fix for low 12V voltage and slow cannons. Linked to ColorDMD Install. Posted by mavantix (6 years ago)

Post #2578 Hallmark Romulan Warbird modification Posted by Pin_Guy (5 years ago)

Post #2659 canon gearbox; detail photos of innards Posted by scooter8416 (5 years ago)

Post #4774 Tubing used for ends of flipper return lanes. Posted by Gogojohnnyquack (3 years ago)

Post #8277 Disable Officer's Club from the high scores in attract mode. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Post #8653 LX-8 ROM Release with link and description. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider johns.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#162 8 years ago

Getting a high score, but tilting the last ball:

Worf: You are without honor! You are an honorable player!

Make up your mind already!

7 months later
#633 7 years ago
Quoted from ibjames:

so I looked at the diode, it was indeed grey side to the wires, so I soldered it and flipped it, played a few games, friends came over and started playing, they didn't notice the upper flipper wasn't working, so I checked it and yep, in the tests I can't get it to work anymore. I also noticed that the wire to the upper right switch 58 was throwing an error, it is also connected via the same wire as the drop target, so I put it back, and it seemed ok, but it would keep falling off. Looking at it, it looks like when I'm putting the game back in playing position the switch is getting bashed, I don't know why. I kept putting the connector back on and then the connector prong broke off....
The upper flipper didn't change, I can't get it to work. The initial test doesn't throw a code.. I'm going to order a switch and put it in and see how I fare (any suggestions on where to go to get this?) I don't know what is going on with the upper flipper, in tests it just goes through the test and it doesn't do anything. I don't have any blown fuses

This sounds like the same problem I had.

The playfield slides and pivots on two metal pins screwed into the cabinet. The motion of rotating the playfield up eventually unscrewed the right pin from the side of the cabinet. You need to screw this pin back into the cabinet.

I only noticed it on mine because I had the game in switch test mode when I lifted the playfield, and I could hear a switch activate as the pivot pin contacted the switch. It hadn't unscrewed enough by that point to break the switch.

On your game, this may have also hit the wires on the upper right flipper causing a short and a fuse to blow on the fliptronics board, so you might want to check this out.

3 months later
#788 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

Third time lucky ( I hope so )

"U.S.S. ENTERPRISE MISSIONS Shoot START MISSION to Behind Each Mission. Shoot Flashing Emblems Complete Missions." should be "Begin Each Mission" and "Emblems to Complete Missions" and a missing colon after MISSIONS. Maybe the fourth times a charm?

#789 7 years ago
Quoted from Bdkorn:

I just purchased a STTNG and it seems I have an issue in the upper right of the playfield. Any ideas on how best to address it?
Many thanks for any advice,
- Brian

I thought that worn area by the right emblem insert was caused by the ball dropping onto the playfield after launching. Maybe the heat from the bulb contributed to it. Mine is like that too.

1 month later
#841 7 years ago

When I bought my game it had the Cliffy one without the holes, but it wouldn't stay in place even after trying to bend the metal to make it hold better. I felt like it would/could slide into the targets and possibly make the target switches get stuck closed, so I ended up drilling a hole in it and installing a wood screw. Now it's held in place. I didn't want to have a malfunction during a tournament it was in.

1 month later
#953 7 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

Does anyone have any good suggestions for spotlights in STTNG? it is very dark...

I don't know about spotlights but I have cool white LED bulbs in the GI and bright ones under the slingshots aimed toward the center with translucent Titan rings. These light the area above the flippers where it matters the most. I also have a white LED under the Klingon ship wing aimed toward the center of the playfield, but hidden from the direct view from the player's perspective. I believe these bulbs under the wings were intended to light the playfield a bit, but I see other removing or rotating the ship and putting darker lights under there.

1 month later
#1231 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

pcprogramer I was looking at your video of the repaired drop target and would like to offer a suggestion.
The current location of the switch insulator pad on your drop target switch seems incorrect as it has no function in its current location. I feel this pad should be on the opposite side of the switch where the switch attaches to a metal plate, this will allow it to offer some protection of a bent lead on the switch shorting to ground; additionally, having this insulator behind the switch will add additional clearance between the drop target and the actuator arm, allowing it to fully clear the drop target rather than dragging on it.

The Operations Manual shows the clear plastic piece (03-8630 Guide, Actuator) on the outside of the switch, and it's positioned upward to prevent the switch lever from being pushed sideways (toward the left side of the cabinet). I don't know why, but it seems to end up positioned downward, maybe because someone thinks it's supposed to shield the wires. When I bought mine it was positioned downward and my switch lever had a lot of lateral play in it just like pcprogramer's switch. The shape of the tab on the drop target tends to push the lever sideways, so I believe this plastic should be placed on the outside of the switch (as shown in the diagram).

The switch was acting flaky. Data would say, "lock is lit" at random times, like when I'd use the flippers before ball launch. I replaced the switch and reused the lever after bending it where it connects to the switch to make it tighter. It's been working well since then.

Quoted from Djshakes:

Alright, anyone have a suggestion on how to reduce the voltage to this diode laser. It is rated for 5v. The cannon motor is 12v. It fries the laser. Is there a resistor or something that would knock the current down to 5-6v?

My left cannon laser stopped working and I noticed there was a transistor soldered and heat shrunk inline with the wires. This transistor would get very hot when the cannon motor was on (when the laser should be on). I'm not sure if this was a problem with the transistor or the laser shorted out. I did accidentally let the cannon rod fire into the laser when I was working on it, so the laser itself may have been damaged. I just ended up removing both lasers. The cannon modes are too easy with the lasers IMHO, but I'm curious about how/why the lasers fail.

#1250 7 years ago
Quoted from saber07:

Final Frontier issue:
I was able to find the issue is with the trough optos 5 and 6 sometimes triggering when the coin door is closed. I was able to wiggle the board some to get them to not be triggered, but it seems very finnicky. Any idea how to alleviate this?

Check the leads on the big blue resistors on the trough opto board. It's a common problem that the heat and vibration cause the metal leads to break. It will still be contacting, but vibrations (like from balls draining, flippers, etc.) will momentarily break the contact to the board and trigger the opto switch.

1 week later
#1335 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I'm having a recurring, occasional issue where my STTNG goes into a ball search when a ball is lost, and never seems to find the ball.

What do you mean by "lost"? Presumably you know where the ball is! Does it go into one of the playfield scoops, then it doesn't kick a ball up?

#1360 7 years ago

You may have a loose screw or piece of broken plastic in the subway preventing the ball from rolling down to one of the up kickers. I had a plastic piece of the Alpha Ramp break and fall into the subway and it caused this problem.

2 months later
#1637 6 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

Neutral zone lock is lit after completing and playing the 3 neutral zone modes and hitting the neutral zone again. Maybe too if the multiball percentage is too low.

I just tried it and this worked! This is the first explanation I've read on when this lock lights. Seems like it's not worth going for just to light the lock unless you have plunge into lock turned off. Turning off plunge into lock and holodeck makes the game a bit more challenging.

3 months later
#1809 6 years ago

And check that a wire didn't come loose from one of the diverter coils.

3 months later
#1923 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

my brother, a non-pinhead at all, has become obsessed with this game. 3 weeks out of the last four, i have gotten a text from him on friday or saturday afternoon which basically amounted to "can i come over and play STTNG tonight?" he lives an hour away. all 4 times, he comes over, and just marathons the game for like 5-6 hours straight. i hang out and chat with him, and give him tips, and then sometime between 1am and 3am he leaves. he just raves about what a great game it is, and has no interest in playing any of my other games. he's getting pretty good ... he can make Final Frontier occasionally, but I don't think he's done it with 4 artifacts yet. he also hasn't made warp 9. but he's definitely improving! i'm trying to get him to join our local league, but i'm not sure he's keen on the idea of playing games other than STTNG, haha.

Now that he's hooked, turn off free play, lol.

#1937 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Right flipper sometimes stays up. Seems to come from the flipper button mech.
I whack the button and flipper drops back down.
Suggestions?
(I see it's not using leaf switches)

When it gets stuck up gently turn off the game. If it stays up, then it's a mechanical issue. If it goes down then it's an electrical issue.

#1938 6 years ago
Quoted from BriPin:

Quick question for the group: During Final Frontier the advance in rank hole emblem is flashing but never awards the bonus but does register as a shot and shows the shuttle animation. Also, the start mission hole sometimes doesn't start a mission when it should but registers as a shot and also will show the shuttle animation as well. I've tested all optos and they all register normally so I'm perplexed as to what the issue could be. It exhibits this behavior with the original CPU as well as a Rottendog CPU. Any help is appreciated and thanks.

Sounds like a flaky opto under the start mission hole. If that opto doesn't register, the ball travels down the subway and hits the opto under the rank hole, so the game thinks the ball fell through the rank hole. A similar thing happens if you fall in the neutral zone hole without hitting a stand up target. The ball rolls down the subway and the game thinks the ball fell in the rank hole.

Also, if you have a weak unregulated 12 volt supply it will cause opto issues. This seems to happen more during multiballs. If a cannon is rotating it will drive the opto voltage down because they use the same 12 volt unregulated circuit.

1 month later
#2092 6 years ago

Clean the diverter mechanisms. Just replace all the optos in the subway VUKs (4, 2, 2). You can get them cheap. Get new trough opto boards from Great Lakes Modular if you can. Check all your voltages at the test points on the power board in attract mode and while playing or doing tests. Test all the 5 large capacitors on the power board and the smaller capacitors. Test the 5 bridge rectifiers. Do the tie-back mod on the wire on the drop target coil. Rebuild all the flippers including new flipper bats. Rebuild the slingshot mechs and pop bumpers if they are weak. Go ahead and resolder all the solder joints on all the solenoids. Replace all the playfield rubbers. Check for cracks on the ramp plastics where the ball hits when entering. Either replace the ramps if cracked/broken or install metal ramp protectors. Install a set of plastics protectors under the plastics around the playfield. Install LEDs if you want. Some of the bulb holders (like for the shields) get loose solder joints, so you may have to clean and resolder them if the lights are flaky.

#2100 6 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Also has anyone had trouble with their plunger launcher missing the top hole (the hole behind the single drop target)? Mine bounces off the metal backstop somehow and does not fall in the hole most of the time. Really annoying and I'm having a tough time telling why it's bouncing off.

I'm not sure where it's hitting the metal backstop, but one thing to check is that the plunged ball isn't hitting the habit trail above it that leads back to the right inlane. If the top habit trail is not aligned directly on top of the bottom one it will interfere with the ball and slow it down enough that it doesn't reach the hole.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 63.95
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 15.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 64.99
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider johns.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club?tu=johns and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.