IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2194 Fix for low 12V voltage and slow cannons. Linked to ColorDMD Install. Posted by mavantix (6 years ago)

Post #2578 Hallmark Romulan Warbird modification Posted by Pin_Guy (5 years ago)

Post #2659 canon gearbox; detail photos of innards Posted by scooter8416 (5 years ago)

Post #4774 Tubing used for ends of flipper return lanes. Posted by Gogojohnnyquack (3 years ago)

Post #8277 Disable Officer's Club from the high scores in attract mode. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Post #8653 LX-8 ROM Release with link and description. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jaybird815.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3787 4 years ago

I recently joined the club, I’m currently going through the machine with a fine tooth comb, I found this in the bottom of the cabinet, anyone know what it is?

23B8DD93-DA62-4EF9-B45E-76ECC2A83728 (resized).jpeg23B8DD93-DA62-4EF9-B45E-76ECC2A83728 (resized).jpeg
#3791 4 years ago

It sure is! Nice call!!

AD474DD3-C87C-4206-B284-F900063656F4 (resized).jpegAD474DD3-C87C-4206-B284-F900063656F4 (resized).jpeg
#3794 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

You don't have a SBA coin mech in there do you?

I’m not sure what an SBA is, but here’s a pic

CC39152E-80F4-4804-AE3B-12886AA31196 (resized).jpegCC39152E-80F4-4804-AE3B-12886AA31196 (resized).jpeg
#3796 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Looking at your coin box, it looks like that divider was installed on the left, you would only do this if you have different coin mechs, like one for quarters and another for dollars ... like for the Susan B. Anthony dollar. Its very uncommon to have anything other than $.25 mechs in a US machine and you have a US coin door. I'm just trying to logically figure out why you have a machine with a coin box divider that was actually used ....

It was used for sure because you can see the marks on the steel, I’m guessing tokens?

#3799 4 years ago

I just finished up shopping this game out and I go to play a game and the credit registered but no balls came out, any ideas? Thanks

UPDATE: blown f112 on the driver board, now it’s continuously firing balls into and out of left VUK

#3808 4 years ago

Also J-206 and J-207: and J-208 and J-209 are interchangeable, incase you ever have a broken pin/solder joint etc.

#3818 4 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

thx. Easy to take apart? should I put some silcone sparay or leave alone? I know this is an ongoing pinball argument to lubricate moving parts or not

I probably wouldn’t, it’s right by a coil so it will get gunked up again pretty quick, a good cleaning should suffice.

1 week later
#3861 4 years ago

I’m working on getting this pin dialed in, I have a question on the top diverter, when I hit the shot up the ramp, the diverter catches the ball and then after a second or so it releases the ball down to feed the flipper, in gameplay videos I’ve seen there is no delay and the ball is just fed right back to flipper, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

#3863 4 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

I am guessing you are talking about the Delta Quadrant Ramp.
When LOCK is NOT lit, the diverter should activate and send the ball directly to the right flipper.
When LOCK is lit, the diverter should NOT move, and the ball should make it up to the borg ship and lock. However sometimes a shot that's not hard enough to make the bork ship hump will roll back down and then to the right flipper so in this case it would seem like there is a delay.

Yes the Delta ramp, the diverter is actually catching the ball and then there’s a 2-3 second delay, the diverter then releases the ball to the right flipper which just seemed weird to me, it’s not a smooth flow back to the right flipper like I’ve seen on videos, maybe the position of the diverter is off? Should it be flush with the back panel?

#3865 4 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

I still don't get it. The diverter is a curved piece of metal. When is it triggered the ball should follow the curve and onto the ramp to the right flipper. I can't understand how the diverter could "hold" the ball. Makes no sense! Pic?

I know, it’s weird. 1 out 10 shots will get rejected by the diverter and come back down the ramp, the others are actually held there for a moment before it’s released. That’s why I’m thinking the diverter may not be positioned right. I’ll get a pic when I get home from work

#3872 4 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

I still don't get it. The diverter is a curved piece of metal. When is it triggered the ball should follow the curve and onto the ramp to the right flipper. I can't understand how the diverter could "hold" the ball. Makes no sense! Pic?

The diverter was actually pinning the ball against the ramp, crazy, I adjusted it back about a 1/2” and it’s working how it should.

C0254EC3-A5D4-4FB8-9F76-EFA88A679641 (resized).jpegC0254EC3-A5D4-4FB8-9F76-EFA88A679641 (resized).jpeg
#3876 4 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Finishing up my friends pin....Under pf I noticed what looks like a large single plastic subway. Looks like a pretty involved removal and reinstall. Is it as bad as it looks? Looks like alot has to come off to get it off. Any tips or insight?
Thx.

It’s a lot easier than it looks, remove the right vuk, I believe there’s 2 or 3 connectors to unplug, then remove the subway mounting screws and the whole thing will slide out

#3880 4 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Ok that did come out easy.
One coil question. The main diverter coil is fried. Think it’s an AE 25-1000 any others that will work? I can order one but have some odd spares if there are any you can switch out

IIRC correctly 25 is the gauge of the wire and the second number determines the strength of coil, lower the number the stronger the coil, so you’d want to replace it with a 25-xxxx, there’s a thread on here somewhere about coil compatibility

#3893 4 years ago
Quoted from arthurrag:

Yes, it is a great machine. I love it, Playing and fixing. My kids bought it for me for Christmas. They know I like to fix things. My day job is high end x-ray machines. But it has been a long time since it was relays, coils and mechanical switches. Sometimes I cannot see the forest for the trees. I appreciate your help.

Welcome aboard!

#3903 4 years ago
Quoted from arthurrag:

Hi,
I have a ST:TNG. When I purchased the machine the Enterprise ship lights were inoperable. I looked into it and found the wires hanging loosed under the play field. Do these get connected to the G.I. circuit, Flasher, or some other location? I cannot find any information in the manual. Thanks
Art

Snap a picture of the loose wiring

#3916 4 years ago

I’d never had played it, I wasn’t a Trekkie at all growing up, it’s now one of my favorites, and I probably wouldn’t have known it’s greatness if one didn’t land in my lap recently, such an awesome game

#3918 4 years ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

I love this in color[quoted image]

Did you go for the straight or the three of a kind?

#3946 4 years ago

Is this ship I circled part of a stock sttng or is this a mod? Mine has nothing in back left corner, Thanks

B127192B-7CCA-4499-BBA4-E2C81E11DE78 (resized).jpegB127192B-7CCA-4499-BBA4-E2C81E11DE78 (resized).jpeg
#3949 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Honestly? I don't know. It came with it when I got it from the previous owner. It has a spot in it for an old fashioned flasher bulb, but there is a small LED on the bridge of the Romulan ship so it must be a mod. I don't know if that Klingon ship is stock or not either, it has LED 455 bulbs plugged in under the wings. I know the enterprise and shuttle are not original. They appear to be Christmas ornaments. Every time you start up the machine the Enterprise model says something about boldly going in a miniature really worn out speaker. May take the two ships on the right out someday and replace with a stock shuttle and repaint the shuttle myself.

Mine has the bird of prey, I believe it’s called, but not that other one in back corner

#3951 4 years ago

Thanks, now I have to hunt one down

#3956 4 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

The original machine came with the Romulan Warbird (back left corner), Klingon Bird of Prey (left side), Borg ship (back centre) and shuttle craft (back right corner). Note in the picture the original shuttle craft has been replaced with one that predominantly appeared in Deep Space Nine. It is also common to replace the Warbird and Bird of Prey with Hallmark versions as they have more detail.

That pic I posted is not my sttng, I have all the original ships except the Romulan Warbird is missing, I’m wondering if I should go original or put one a modded one back there

#3958 4 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

I wonder if you'd be able to find an original ... then again people do swap it out for the Hallmark, so you'd probably be able to get one if you want to go that way

There’s actually one for sale here, but I’m thinking I may as well upgrade to a nicer modded one

#3961 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Check out my DIY post on this https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/52#post-4753118. If you just want to buy one and install it send me a PM...I still have the one I made when creating that post.

I appreciate it! I’ll probably take you up on that, are there any other must have mods? I’ve put the comet led kit in and have done a complete tear down shop job with titan rubbers and the borg ship pinbits as well as put a new subway in, I am absolutely loving this game!

#3963 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

IMO:
Target decals
Domed covers for cannon - DIY for $2.50 https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/8#post-3085040
Color changing LED under neutral zone
Star Post lighting
COLORDMD LED Display!!!
Some things I did to mine:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/4#post-2885291

Yeah ColorDMD is coming after I get my boards back from bullet proofing, I’m currently using the ones out of my BSD to dial her in, man this is by far the longest it’s ever taken me on a pin, now that it is, BSD is going have to take a back seat, I wasn’t expecting this pin to be as fun as it is

#3985 4 years ago

Big thanks to Pin Guy! I just need clean up the wiring and mount it, a lot better than nothing back there lol

A843514B-F6AA-4F52-A172-9412D838EF5B (resized).jpegA843514B-F6AA-4F52-A172-9412D838EF5B (resized).jpeg
#3987 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Looks great! I should have posted these earlier...one of the best spots to run the wire is right alongside the Delta Ramp wiring and out the big hole in the playfield, I'm faily certain the clear cover plastic already has a hole in a perfect spot for this:
[quoted image]
Looking at the picture of your Romulan ship, something looks a bit off, are you missing the green flasher cover? The hole in the bottom of the ship is the correct size to fit tightly onto this cover.
[quoted image]

Haha, yeah, the green cover is in the dishwasher.

#3995 4 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Pin_Guy thx alot!!...adjusted the settings till coil fixed and played a bunch of games...My left gun worked fine in test and did not search at all when I turned game on tonight. So I need to to just double check the switches to make sure they are making good contact. Hate intermittent issues.
I do have one issue and its the one repair I hate...flippers. My left flipper is perfect ball is super fast and all the shots are easy to hit...The right flipper just does not have the same power....Ball travles off it like an EM and goes about 2/3 the speed as the left....I don't feel any slop or mechanical....What should I check? clean flipper switch optos? new coil?
Thanks!

I had the same issue, I rebuilt them all, and now I’m nailing the Picard Maneuver

#3998 4 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Thx. I’ll rebuild them including coil stops
But when I take them apart what are you looking for as far as problem areas?

Just replace all the parts that come with rebuild kit, like pin guy said, coils either work or they don’t, it’s about 15 minutes a piece I’d say

#4002 4 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Question about the 17636 coils... where should they be placed?
I know from the factory they’re all 11629. I bought a STTNG not far back that has the 17636 upgraded coils installed tho.
My lower left is a 11629 and the upper and lower rights are 17636. It plays well so I would assume that’s right. But I’ve also seen all 3 as 17636?

I’m not 100% sure but this might help

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-flipper-coils-fl-11629-fl-17636

#4037 4 years ago

Red and white goes on pin 6 of J107

C334BD78-6598-4780-BA7B-FFF183D29103 (resized).jpegC334BD78-6598-4780-BA7B-FFF183D29103 (resized).jpeg
#4040 4 years ago
A5D455C0-F308-44DA-91A0-E0FD5667A581 (resized).jpegA5D455C0-F308-44DA-91A0-E0FD5667A581 (resized).jpeg
#4070 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I just joined the club this weekend! I got my example fairly cheap (at least I think so) and best of all local (9 miles from my house). She mostly works, just a few gremlins here and there. While it spent the last 22 years in the home of the family I bought it from, she's a little rough around the edges cabinet-wise from it's first few routed years. Some holes on the side here and there from a previous operator, a couple of dings, marked up decals on the head, and rusty legs. Inner cabinet a bit dingy but no water damage. The board set is nice and original - no hacks that I can see.
The playfield is really nice - no visible wear but very grimy and dirty. Rubbers on their last legs. A few chips in some plastic pieces but they're all there and no outright cracks. Once I have everything working correctly, it'll be a total topside tear-down and thorough cleaning (and tumbling of metal bits).
I've resolved the first couple of easy issues - no audio in right speaker (bad filter cap) and right gun not finding home (one of the wires to the opto was hanging loose....soldered it back on). I'm now onto the third issue on my laundry list and the last "major" one I hope - the left gun doesn't turn at all.
Problem is obvious from the underside - the plastic crank arm has broken off such that the spinning motor is no longer attached. The longer crank arm looks ok - it's the smaller crank arm that broke off near the roll pin. I ordered a replacement small crank arm on Pinball Life tonight - fingers crossed it arrives by the weekend.
Now my question (and apologies if this has been covered in this thread before....I'm only up to Page 12 of 82 reading thru it): can someone provide me general step by step instructions on how to pull the left cannon assembly out enough that I can reach the roll pin on the motor, remove the broken plastic piece, and install the new small crank arm? Do I have to disassemble the whole cannon assembly to do this repair? Not sure where to start....looks like a lot of topside and bottomside screws and parts....I don't want to remove the whole thing if I don't have to. Thank you!

Congrats! Great game, you’ll have your pinball repair/maintenance PHD in no time getting it dialed in, every other pin will be easy, comparatively speaking.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 63.95
$ 64.99
$ 9.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jaybird815.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club?tu=jaybird815 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.