IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2194 Fix for low 12V voltage and slow cannons. Linked to ColorDMD Install. Posted by mavantix (6 years ago)

Post #2578 Hallmark Romulan Warbird modification Posted by Pin_Guy (5 years ago)

Post #2659 canon gearbox; detail photos of innards Posted by scooter8416 (5 years ago)

Post #4774 Tubing used for ends of flipper return lanes. Posted by Gogojohnnyquack (3 years ago)

Post #8277 Disable Officer's Club from the high scores in attract mode. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Post #8653 LX-8 ROM Release with link and description. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jadziedzic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5254 3 years ago

From the "Great quality control!" department, here's a Mirco reproduction ST:TNG playfield a customer recently provided to me for use in a playfield swap; notice anything odd about the right side flipper bushing hole? When my customer approached the distributor about this error, they were told by Mirco "Simple solution, use a drill bit and open the hole up to the right size." I've done numerous playfield swaps and have dealt with a fair share of mis-placed post holes, dimples, etc., but that response made me chuckle. I wonder how many folks would be comfortable drilling a 1/2" hole in a brand-new reproduction playfield through clear coat without chipping the edges or tearing out the edges of the playfield, to say nothing of getting the hole in just the right spot.

A few hours spent building a custom jig and sweating bullets, and it came out fine. I used Ron Kruzman's playfield prep kit to get some clear coat into the edge of the new hole; even though it won't see any ball traffic I didn't want to risk separation down the road.

IMG_0169 (resized).JPGIMG_0169 (resized).JPGIMG_0176 (resized).JPGIMG_0176 (resized).JPGIMG_0177 (resized).JPGIMG_0177 (resized).JPG
#5257 3 years ago

This playfield was supplied to me by a customer with his game, so I can't give you an exact date when it was received. But based on when I was contacted, I'd guess the customer received the playfield in early November 2020.

Was the routing of the slots for the lower inlane sensors on the back side of your playfield too shallow? The ones on this playfield are about 3/64" shallower than the factory playfield; fortunately that doesn't seem to impact the ability of the inductors to sense the ball travel, just made it a bit challenging to mount them since they stick out further below the playfield than the original mounting brackets accommodate.

Oh, and the upper mounting screw "divots" for the top rollover lane guides were mis-aligned too, but at least the narrow post base still covers the divot when the screw is in the proper position.

For $1,000 this should have been perfectly machined.

1 week later
#5297 3 years ago

With regards to the cannon switches, it's worthwhile to replace the "mark" switches (5647-12693-58) with ones that have a roller actuator (5647-12693-06); these are more reliable than the -58 switches with the bent actuator (over time the bent part of the actuator can wear away from contact with the cam).

There was a factory retrofit kit available with the roller actuator switches (kit part number A-19153) which also included instructions on how to swap out the -58 switches, but it's pretty obvious what needs to be done: install a 1N4004 diode on the new switch in the correct orientation (banded end of diode faces switch "button", other end of diode to switch terminal on opposite end), unsolder wires to old mark switch, remove and replace mark switch, solder wires back on. Tweak the switch position as needed so the mark switch is closed when the cannon is in the home position.

Here's a picture of the left cannon, home switch at top of picture, mark switch (with roller actuator) at bottom of picture:

IMG_0254 (resized).JPGIMG_0254 (resized).JPG
#5305 3 years ago
Quoted from longwetsocks:

Having a similar issue right now. Did you find the problem was the angle of the metal bracket?

Unless the ball is traveling at an exceptionally high rate of speed it's unlikely the metal ball deflector bracket is at fault; there's also not much room for adjustment there. A standard post sleeve rubber (0.453" OD) should be used on the post to the left of the bracket; I'm not sure using a 7/8" sleeve there would stick far enough into the ball path to cause bounce-outs, but it's possible. Also check the ball gate to the left of the gobble hole behind the drop target, if the gate wire is sticking up (or an incorrect one is installed) that might deflect the ball. Best bet is to pull the Borg ship assembly and take a picture or two of the area and share it here.

#5337 3 years ago
Quoted from mappy24:

How do I get access to the alpha ramp switch to replace it? It looks like a number of things have to be dismantled to get to it?
Thanks as always for any pointers!

The Delta ramp will have to come off. Here's the order I'd tackle this:

1) Remove Borg ship plastic from Borg lock mechanism (3 screws)
2) Remove Romulan ship (1 screw)
3) Disconnect the two crossing wire ramps where they're joined above the center of the playfield (long #8 screw, elastic stop nut, 2 washers, flat metal ball guide); remember how the ball guide is oriented so you can put it back the same way
4) Remove the wire form that leads from the center exit of the Delta ramp and drops the ball onto the lower right wire form. 1 screw mounts the the right end of the wire form to the top of the metal ball guide immediately behind the upper right flipper (long #8 screw, #8 post, 2 washers). You'll probably have to rotate the wire form a bit once you've pulled it from the bracket on the Delta ramp exit so you can get it free of the lower right wire form and spiral wire form.
5) Remove 2 screws mounting Delta ramp exit to vertical riser on Borg mechanism
6) Remove 2 screws mounting Delta ramp bottom to playfield
7) Remove 2 screws mounting Delta ramp to back panel of playfield

You will be able to move the Delta ramp out of the way to access the switch on the Alpha ramp now (essentially rotate it clockwise and rest it on top of the lower left side of the Alpha ramp; there is no need to disconnect the wiring harness that leads from the Delta ramp under the playfield.

Reverse the above steps to put things back together. Leave the 3 sets of screws that mount the Delta ramp (steps 5, 6, and 7) loose until the ramp is in place, then tighten in the order 6, 5, 7.

#5340 3 years ago
Quoted from wildwillys:

Hi everyone i need a little help on where to start. My Star Trek has been resetting in the middle of a game and i was planning on rebuilding the power board since it is original and has never been worked on, I was going to order WPC-PDA12697X from Marco but then read it really isn't needed most of the time. I am running a color DMD so what parts should i order and where do I start.
Thanks, Jeff

Start at pinwiki.com and read the section on WPC game resets before you do anything; it will save you a LOT of flailing about.

#5344 3 years ago

The banded end of the diode should connect to the end of the switch where the actuator button* is located ("band to button"), the non-banded end should connect to the terminal at the opposite end of the switch, along with the white wire; the green wire goes in the middle.

* Or think of it as the end where the switch actuator lever is hinged.

#5346 3 years ago
Quoted from mappy24:

That's how it was when I originally installed the new switch, the banded end was connected to the white wire terminal and the green wire was in the middle, the same as the old switch, that's when I had the problem with multiple switches being activated. Even with the old switch installed it did this though, so I believe the problem lies elsewhere.
I'll flip the diode around when I get home tonight then test again.
Thanks!

The diode is reversed in the first picture, and in both pictures the white wire is on the wrong end of the switch; it should be on the right end as viewed in your pictures. More specifically, the banded end of the diode connects to the "C" terminal, the green wire connects to the "NO" terminal, and the non-banded end of the diode and the white wire connect to the "NC" terminal.

#5348 3 years ago

Yes, that's the correct wiring for any WPC microswitch using the 5647-12693 body; the "NC" terminal is used as a handy connection point for the white wire and the non-banded end of the diode. (Note that the white wire and the green wire *typically* have a colored stripe, but on some switches with an inline connector the stripe may not be present.)

#5357 3 years ago
Quoted from SDVmnt:

My bad.. Meant say. NO board works on the left side. Out of the 3 of them I have . I can get them all to register if I pass a ball over the removed sensor. But not though the playfield.

Inductors (the component mounted on the wider connector - not a resistor) rarely go bad. I'd be more inclined to suspect a bad connection that is causing additional resistance in the sensor wiring that is reducing the sensitivity. The inductor (100 micro-Henries, 10%, 90mA) is actually available at Marco under part number 5551-10648-01 should you decide to replace it. Before swapping out the inductor, though, I'd check the 2-pin IDC-style connector at the end of the sensor cable to be sure the wire is making good contact with the "V" slot of the connector (or just replace it with a 2-pin crimp-on 0.100" connector).

#5362 3 years ago

FWIW, I have a Mirco ST:TNG playfield in the shop which has a shallower recess routed in the back of the playfield for the connector/inductor assembly (maybe an eighth of an inch shallower than the OEM playfield), and I have no issues with the proximity boards detecting the ball through the greater span of wood.

Like I suggested, take a GOOD LOOK at the 2-pin connector on the sensor cable assembly (and the other connector as well) to be sure you don't have a wire that's loose in the "V" slot of the connector pin. I'd even try CAREFULLY removing the inductor from the wider connector to see if you have tarnish or oxidation build-up on the leads of the inductor that are stuffed into the connector; removing and replacing the inductor will also tend to wipe off any light build-up.

1 week later
#5383 3 years ago
Quoted from Jherre6:

Does anyone know the machine screw size for the top of the cannons? My 2 year old wanted to help the other day and walked off with them. I’m still looking!

#6-32x5/16" round washer head machine screw was there originally; they're a bit hard to find outside of a well-stocked hardware store. A #6-32x3/8" round head machine screw with a flat washer will work fine. If you're ordering stuff from Marco look for 4006-01027-06, the 3/8" long version of the original round washer head screw.

1 month later
#5456 3 years ago
Quoted from mappy24:

Both my cannon plungers appear to have become magnetized so they frequently stick on when fired. I've added a temporary solution of adding a 1mm foam spacer to prevent the plunger from fully plunging so it can't stick to the metal plate any more - is this a bad idea?! The cannons work fine now

It's more likely the impact of the "head" of the plunger smacking into the coil mounting bracket has caused a groove to form in the face of the bracket, and the head is getting jammed in the bracket; I've seen that on a few ST:TNGs. Replacing the coil mounting bracket resolves the issue, but if the foam spacer is working there's no harm in going that way.

2 weeks later
#5530 2 years ago

Assuming you unplugged the switch matrix wires (the white w/tracer and green w/tracer wires) at J208/J209 for your test, the odds are good you have a blown 74LS240 at U13; less likely but still possible are blown LM339s at U18 and U19 (I'd bet on U13 since all but one row is showing a short). The most likely cause is a short between the 50 volt coil supply and a switch matrix row wire (white w/tracer). I suggest you carefully check ALL under-playfield wiring to see if you can find a possible short between any white w/tracer wire and one of the heavier-gauge (18 gauge) violet/yellow, violet/green, or violet/orange wires. A wire may have come loose in transit, or perhaps a coil shifted such that one of the terminals is shorting to the metal of some mechanism.

1 week later
#5625 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

I make this suggestion to everyone. Reset each and every connector multiple times on every board

The connectors used in these games typically have a "mating cycle" count in the range of a couple of dozen removals and insertions. Each cycle contributes to the eventual degradation of the contact in the connector (the contact begins to lose tension after a certain number of mating cycles), which can lead to intermittent issues.

1 month later
#5904 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Looking for the correct length of the threaded standoff that supports the wireform at the end of the Delta ramp. A part number for that would help. If it’s in the manual then I’ve overlooked it.

02-4935-3

#5937 2 years ago

Check Planetary Pinball (combined with Bay Area Amusements):

03-8318-18

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-03-8318-18&Category_Code=LG

1 week later
#6027 2 years ago

If you ever need replacement scoops the first place to check is Mantis Amusements; Kerry makes the best replacements bar none.

https://mantispinball.com/product-category/star-trek-the-next-generation/

These *may* be sold by other dealers, but why not go directly to the source?

1 week later
#6174 2 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

you can purchase wire by the foot from marco if your up to going through the looms and repinning all those that are in disrepair...

Go to Planetary Pinball for wire (by the 10-foot length); some of the wire I recently purchased from Marco appeared to be copper-plated something-or-other (aluminum probably) rather than pure copper.

#6175 2 years ago

This may not be the most useful set of pictures, best ones I have of the harness (first is prior to playfield swap, second and third are after):

IMG_0040 (resized).JPGIMG_0040 (resized).JPGIMG_0248 (resized).JPGIMG_0248 (resized).JPGIMG_0249 (resized).JPGIMG_0249 (resized).JPG
#6191 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Looks great but the harnesses were all only installed correctly in the first one.
Since the subway was installed nearly last during the assembly of this machine with only the 3 VUK assemblies installed after it, it would stand to reason that all of the wiring harness would be out of the way of this area so the subway and subsequent VUKs could all be dropped right in place.

If you look a little more closely you'll see the free end of the playfield harness (with the black slit tubing) is looped back up onto the front playfield supports counter-clockwise from the bottom where it exits the playfield; I tie them up this way when replacing the playfield in the cabinet. The harness *is* routed correctly on the playfield.

#6223 2 years ago

Pinball Heaven in the UK sells a pair of the cannon harnesses for ~$32 USD - even with shipping to the States it's a good price in comparison to state-side dealers.

#6227 2 years ago

The original screws used were #6-32 x 5/16" round washer head machine screws (4006-01027-05); the 3/8" long part mentioned above (4006-01027-06) is a compatible replacement if you can't find the 5/16" variety.

#6239 2 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

So I had a couple fuses pop on me today. F114 and F115. I don’t know why. All I did recently was change out sling switches and when I tested the machine the other day, it was fine. I did some minor
Leaf switch adjustments and went to turn on the machine and the balls weren’t shooting out of the launcher. One after the l the other they just loaded up but wouldn’t launch. Any ideas what I did wrong ? Where can I buy fuses and I’m having a hard time removing them.

F114 is the input to the unregulated +18V supply to the lamp columns; the +12VDC supply to the switch matrix for opto switches is sourced from there and feeds through F115 to the opto emitters (LEDs) in the opto switches. If you lose either of those fuses the opto switches will appear "closed" (which is why the cannons swing and the ball trough barfed out all the balls). Do you have any "mods" attached to the +12VDC supply (power driver board J117/118/119) or via alligator clips? ST:TNG sucks up much of the +12VDC supply so it's a good idea to power mods (other than perhaps a ColorDMD) from a separate power source.

#6294 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Anyone know what screw size is needed for the dual bridge heat sink on the PDB? Mine is missing one of the screws somehow.

It's a #10-32 x 5/8" SEMS (captive lockwasher) machine screw (part number 4010-01006-10).

2 months later
#6665 2 years ago

The hex spacer is a 02-4935-3 2.2" spacer, the playfield post is an 02-4659-1 #10 post with female threads on top. Both available from Marco.

Quoted from Purplecheesemonk:

I've joined the club and read through all 134 pages. My probe has discovered a broken post. Does anyone know what part number these two pieces are and where I can get new ones?
[quoted image]

#6672 2 years ago
Quoted from Redwizard000:

I guess. Are you supposed to put that stuff on the screws when you rebuild the flippers...? I have only rebuilt flippers once before and there was no lock tight on them.

"Read The Fine Manual" (page 2-17 for ST:TNG): Williams recommends LocTite 245 on the coil stop, bushing, and solenoid bracket screws.

3 weeks later
#6791 2 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Could it be sticking in that circular groove it has created?

This - When the coil stop bracket gets that deformed the plunger head can stick in the groove, I've had to replace the bracket a couple of times when all else failed.

BTW, not sure why someone stuck a flat washer under the coil stop bracket, but that doesn't belong there.

2 months later
#7113 2 years ago
Quoted from Rahxephon1:

Does anyone have some pictures of the underside of the catapult (around the coil and mechanism).

Here are a couple of the assembly out of the game.

IMG_0128 (resized).JPGIMG_0128 (resized).JPGIMG_0129 (resized).JPGIMG_0129 (resized).JPG
#7144 2 years ago

The eddy board trim pots are Piher PT10LV10-103A2020-S (10k Ohm 20 % 0.15 W). There's a seller on eBay who has lots of 24 at $12.72 for the lot (search on the part number without the "-S").

2 weeks later
#7276 2 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

Anyone have problems with the eddy sensors working in the Mirco playfields because the ball sensor isn’t routed deep enough to sense the ball rolling over it up top ?

Yes, I noticed that issue with the routing on a recent playfield swap I did for a customer. Before I dove into the swap I performed a test with the ball sensor (inductor) installed and connected to an eddy board powered via an external supply, and it seemed the sensor and board adjustments were able to compensate for the larger gap between the ball and the sensor.

During acceptance testing the eddy board showed signs of drift after the game was powered on for an extended period, so I opted to replace both the IC and the trimmer pot; the board was much more stable after that. (I had a pair of the Australian guy's self-adjusting boards on hand but didn't need to use those.)

If I do another ST:TNG playfield swap I'll adjust the depth of the routing to match the original...

3 months later
#7690 1 year ago

A better fix is to purchase a new wiring harness for the left canon and replace the hackery that currently exists; the color-striped ribbon cable is someone's (bad) idea of how to fix broken wires in the factory canon wiring harness. The new harness will come with all the required connectors pre-installed.

1 month later
#7835 1 year ago

As I recall F8 is connected to the spinner in the left orbit lane.

1 week later
#7856 1 year ago

The microswitch with the roller actuator is 5647-12693-06; if you can't find one, use Stern 180-5119-02 as a substitute. (FYI, Pinball Life shows 5647-12693-06 as in stock.)

3 weeks later
#7950 1 year ago
Quoted from ray-dude:

Folks, I just swapped in a NVRAM on my new (to me) STTNG and I'm seeing some funkiness. Game plays, but all playfield lights are lit all the time, in battle simulation no balls come up to launchers, etc.
I suspect a switch matrix issue, but would appreciate some help to confirm
Could someone share a picture of what a normal switch matrix looks like in test mode? I'm not sure which switches are normally on and normally off in this game. Mine is attached, which looks like a lot lit up
Thanks in advance![quoted image]

Take ALL of the balls out of your game and then compare T.1 results to page 2-42 in the manual; the switches are that are shown with a gray shading in the manual will correspond to the switches showing closed in T.1. Your right return lane switch is stuck closed...

3 weeks later
#7998 1 year ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Anyone done the roller-arm-switch update to their gun rotating mech? Do you have a part # for the microswitch?

5647-12693-06; use 180-5119-02 if you can't find the former. Pinball Life appears to stock the Williams part. The -06 switch was part of an upgrade kit released to address issues with the flat switch actuator blade wearing and breaking.

#8006 1 year ago

Those are commonly called "S.E.M.S." screws: screws with a captive lock washer. To check the thread size just grab a #6 screw from somewhere and see if it fits in the bracket. I believe you can find the #4-40 and #6-32 versions in the boxes of screws in the "nuts & bolts" aisle at Lowes.

No nut is used on the back side of this assembly.

1 month later
#8227 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Getting ready to install a PSU5 no noise on the driver board --> https://www.ezsbc.com/product/psu5-nonoise/
I'm going to keep the heatsink but replace the screws, nuts, and lockwashers.
Question is how others have assembled it. Use the thermal pad like the original? Heat sink grease instead of pad, or nothing at all and just bolt it together?
Looking for best practice when using these.
Thanks

I keep the heatsink (for cosmetic reasons) and insulator when I install a PSU5; there's no need for grease as the PSU5 is very efficient and runs cool. Definitely be sure to use #6 split lock washers and discrete nuts instead of the KEPS nuts (with captive toothed lock washers) as I noted over on Pinwiki to avoid potential shorts to components on the PSU5 board.

#8235 1 year ago
Quoted from mtadams29:

Got an issue I am hoping all you fine folks can assist with. My STTNG has been working great and then I had a coil get stuck and burn up. Replaced the coil, which was for the under divertor top. And then I wasn't getting any balls to stage properly, kept cycling one over and over. Ran the solenoid tests and 4 would not do anything: Under divertor top, under divertor bottom, drop up, drop dwn, and the top divertor. I realized the top divertor was gummed up, cleaned it and put it back together, which solved that problem, then noticed that fuse F103 was blown and replaced it. Of course, that allowed the others to fire, but the instant under divertor top fired it locked up again. I shut the machine off quickly so the coil didn't melt down like before, but it fires and locks every time I turn the machine on. Where should I start looking? Also, is it odd that F103 blew and not F104? From the schematics, it looks to me like 104 would be the fuse effected, not 103. Thanks in advance!

Check for a loose ribbon cable connection to the 8-driver board from the CPU board; if there's a loose connection the input will float which results in the driver transistors turning on. This can also happen if the diode tie-back connection to the 8-driver board fails. There's a mod on Pinwiki for the 8-driver board to add pull-down resistors to the inputs to prevent this failure mode (and more descriptions of tie-back diode mods): https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation#Diode_.22Tie_Back.22_missing_causes_8-Driver_Board_transistor_to_fail

1 month later
4 weeks later
#8545 1 year ago

Light machine oil is the simplest and best lubricant for rotating shafts. At one point Williams included a "Lubrication" section in the game manual but that was omitted in games after T2.

3 months later
#8962 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Still trying to resolve my lack of power to my ball trough , should the led on the opto board under the playfield be on at all times?
mine remains off constantly !

There is a 2-pin inline connector in the wiring harness by the PC board in the middle of the lower playfield (underneath) that has the sockets for the start mission, shield, & etc. inserts; that connector has a black wire and a gray/yellow wire, which is 12V opto power, but I don't remember what is "downstream" of that connector. Take a close look and see if perhaps that is disconnected. If not, you'll have to trace back to the power driver board connector to find the break in continuity.

2 months later
#9224 10 months ago
Quoted from Tallon:

Don't "wrap" it around anything. Feed the cable up thru the hole stay to the left on the left side and the right on the right side.

The rationale for making a single turn (loop) around the canon support bearing with the harness is to minimize the strain on the wires in the harness at the point where it passes beneath the playfield. I'm not sure if the guys at Pinball Heaven pioneered that technique, but here's a link to their Web page describing the method: https://www.pinball.co.uk/pinball-problems/star-trek-tng-cannons/

#9234 10 months ago
Quoted from Axl:

Trying to fix a STTNG that had the 8 driver board fried and one coil. When I power it up, none of the coils from the 8 driver board works.
The 12v that goes to cannons is not working. The 12v is entering the board though.
I have tested all transistors and predrivers, they all look fine.
Is my board configured correct?
[quoted image]

Your 8-driver board has jumpers at SW2, SW4, and SW6 which is correct, although from the looks of the board there may be "questionable" rework.

I've seen more problems with the ribbon cable from the CPU board to the 80-driver board being partially dislodged (or having loose header connectors) than I have with the tie-back diode connection breaking, but in any event that vulnerability should be addressed. IF you run the board without the ribbon cable connected the inputs will float and trigger the coils and flashers connected to the 8-driver board, and the result is usually at least one blown coil and/or blown flash lamps depending on the actual use of the board. (There is modification to the board described over on pinwiki.com that addresses this vulnerability.) Replacing the ribbon cable if it is at all loose is good insurance.

The lack of 12v at the cannons is not related to the 8-driver board; as I recall that power is sourced via a black & gray/yellow cable which if I recall correctly has an in-line connector under the playfield in the area of the cannons. Also check for "mods" tapping power off J116/117/118 on the power driver board which sources the 12v power.

#9265 9 months ago
Quoted from Beinsi:

The machine is new to me and i got it in pieces so i had to put humpty dumpty together again. It came from another eu country and is convertrd to 230v. And yes it is the circuit breaker for that room where my games are.
I think it is a little weird that it isnt any fuses that blows but the breaker.. but am thinking of disconnecting the power board first to see what happens?

Start by disconnecting the connector from the power junction box to the transformer (pull the line cord out of the wall first). Plug the game back in and see what happens; if the mains breaker blows either there's an issue with the wiring in the power junction box (maybe the wrong value MOV installed) OR the line filter assembly is shorted. By the way, is the correct amperage fuse installed in the power junction box? Not a cause of this problem, but it is odd the line fuse in the power junction box doesn't blow before the mains breaker.

1 week later
#9337 9 months ago

The auto-adjusting feature of this "Tangles" eddy sensor board is a plus: https://www.tanglestech.com/TPP-1023

2 weeks later
#9455 9 months ago
Quoted from monkfe:

they are and I've purchased a couple for my roadshow machine, but the boards don't really fail(generally speaking)...the pot fails. So I'd like to replace just that. If someone has a good replacement pot that fits the hole spacing...post it please...

I've found lots of NOS "Piher" brand pots on eBay (the originals used on the eddy boards I've had to repair). You'll need to find one that matches the value of the pot originally installed on your board. Here's an example part number: Piher PT10LV10-103A2020-S; the resistance value is the number following the dash (2 digits, power of ten multiplier - 10,000 in this example).

2 weeks later
#9489 8 months ago
Quoted from Romulus:

Does anyone know if a harness buildup guide exists, or a hook up chart? I'll be the first to admit I've been spoiled by aviation manuals, it would be nice if something existed that tells me "Connector Jxxx-x to Connector Jxxx-x), you get me idea.

The closest you'll get is the information in section 3 of the manual; most of the PC board diagrams have annotations for each pin of each connector showing the wire color code and destination.

1 month later
#9648 6 months ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I'm getting a delayed end of ball sequence. When the ball drains, sometimes the mode music etc. will keep playing for a bout 5 seconds before the end of ball sequence starts. It gets really weird when, say, a mode is ending and the music changes at this exact moment. Anyone experience this? I'm going to check the outhole and trough switches, but I'm thinking this could be a logic issue. Hope not.

A potential cause is divots in the track of the ball trough assembly causing balls to hang up on the divot; movement or shaking frequently dislodges the balls. You can dress the track with a file to remove the divots or you can buy a shim that slides into the trough and provides a new surface for the balls to travel on.

2 months later
#9753 4 months ago

You can buy violet with green tracer wire (22-gauge) from Bay Area Amusements (aka Planetary Pinball) as part number HA-30022-75 (original part number is CW-30022-75); it's available in increments of 10 feet. While the color makes no difference electrically it's always nice to match the factory look.

1 week later
#9761 4 months ago
Quoted from jibmums:

But each cannon moves in a different direction, shouldn't one be wrapped clockwise and the other counter-clockwise?

Yes, that's correct, left cannon is a clockwise wrap, right cannon is a counter-clockwise wrap. Here's a link to Pinball Heaven's recommendation for routing the cannon harness: https://www.pinball.co.uk/pinball-problems/star-trek-tng-cannons/ (FWIW they make a great product.)

4 weeks later
#9955 3 months ago
Quoted from fourlights:

Any tips on how to locate switch 33? I've been able to figure out most of the errors in my STTNG, but "Check Switch 33 Under R. Gun SW.2" won't go away. The manual just says it's under the playfield, but all of the switches I've checked in that area do nothing when I run a switch test. TIA!

Switch 33 is one of the opto switches that are part of the ball popper assembly under the playfield (right side). There might be a wire broken off the opto transistor or LED boards, a bad opto or LED, or issues with the associated switch comparator board.

4 weeks later
#10139 63 days ago

I've had cases where the small ribbon cable leading to the 8-driver board became dislodged (old connectors that lost tension), which will cause some of the controlled circuits (solenoids, flashers) to lock on; I've had this happen on an IJ, an ST:TNG, and a TZ.

1 month later
#10295 22 days ago

Due to the vibration in that area it's not unusual for the solder joints around a lamp socket to crack; if all three do so the socket can fall off the board. I've occasionally found a socket (or two) in the bottom of a cabinet due to this issue. Reflowing the solder on those lamp socket pins is always a wise idea when shopping games with lamp boards.

Accidentally ripping the socket off when trying to change a bulb happens too, but since most operators can't be bothered to replace burned-out lamps that's usually more of an "happens at home" issue.

1 week later
#10342 13 days ago
Quoted from Zitt:

how did you enlarge the hole without a new speaker plastic?
Seems like it'd be hard to enlarge hole on existing wood; did you CNC a new wood speaker/dmd mount?

Back in the day I wrote this: http://www.dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_replacement.html

A circle cutter (aka "fly cutter") works pretty well to make a larger hole (see http://www.dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_wooden_display_panel.html).

I've seen replacement wood speaker panels for sale with pre-machined holes for matching 5-1/4" speakers, which are obviously an easier method if you can find them.

The holes in the screened speaker panel are of the same size, so all that's needed is to enlarge the hole in the wood panel.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 15.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 85.00
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jadziedzic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club?tu=jadziedzic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.