00_sttng_solenoid_flasher_table.jpg
Pinside_forum_8105770_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_2118 (resized).jpeg
101_2838 (resized).JPG
101_2836 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2194 Fix for low 12V voltage and slow cannons. Linked to ColorDMD Install. Posted by mavantix (6 years ago)

Post #2578 Hallmark Romulan Warbird modification Posted by Pin_Guy (5 years ago)

Post #2659 canon gearbox; detail photos of innards Posted by scooter8416 (5 years ago)

Post #4774 Tubing used for ends of flipper return lanes. Posted by Gogojohnnyquack (3 years ago)

Post #8277 Disable Officer's Club from the high scores in attract mode. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Post #8653 LX-8 ROM Release with link and description. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheeks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1396 7 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

I cut everything from the same sheet
All in total there are 11 pieces I applied to the game... I made templates for each spot and I've got enough of the decal left over to replicate another complete set or multiples without the backboard. Being as it's all cut from a sheet randomly, it's not gonna look exactly like mine but if anybody's interested hit me up.

Not a big fan of that on the VUKs (I'm getting mine plated with Black Nickel), but it looks sweet as a backboard. Is that some existing decal or are you making backboards on your own? I'd be interested in the backboard if you're making them. Please let me know.

1 month later
#1593 6 years ago
Quoted from Higloss67:

Probably going to remove it and replace the playfield years down the road if I need to.

Why would you even need to do this? The game is in your home, right? I've never understood why people think they need all this excessive playfield protection in a home environment when these things are made to go out on route and get 1000s of plays.

I agree with plastic protectors since they can break from a single random airball, and hole protectors since we've all seen those get chewed up. But full playfield protectors are complete overkill. Keep your game moderately clean and you will be fine. I've had STTNG for about 15 years with nothing on the playfield what-so-ever and it doesn't look any different than the day I got it.

#1629 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Good question - the answer is, the Delta Ramp lock will only light if the percentage of games with a multiball falls below a certain level. There is an adjustment for this, "multiball percentage" I think.

Really stupid logic, because you know, hitting the Delta ramp for a ball lock is SO much easier than the right orbit.

The Neutral Zone I get.

7 months later
#1960 6 years ago

Hmm...this "new" shuttle craft has me on the fence. For quite a while I have been planning on installing the Hallmark DS9 shuttle (sacrilege, I know) because I can *fairly easily* wire it into the lighting and because the original shuttle looks like cheese (as do most of the original ships that came in the game). This shuttle looks a lot better than the original one, obviously fits the game context better than the DS9 one, it just isn't going to get wired into the lighting.

Decisions...

#1968 6 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

Hmm, maybe Zitt will figure out how to put some lights in the Eaglemoss model for us! It would be pretty cool if the nacelles glowed light blue! Hint hint zitt

Exactly who I was thinking of since I have MULTIPLE of his mods, but I wasn't gonna call him out like that (although I do agree with you).

1 week later
#1989 6 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

New mirrored backglass is now available from CPR. Will someone please post a review after they have installed?

Didn't even know this existed. I'll be curious to hear reviews as well. CPR backglasses have been hit and miss for me. Was interested in Bride of Pinbot, but it looked too muddy for me to try it. Paragon and Bally Star Trek I bought and ended up selling to others, they were way too muddy as well. Other games like Bally Strikes and Spares and Solar Fire have been awesome!

If I had to guess, this will the greatest either since it seems to be the CMYK glasses they've struggled with (although I have not seen the last several they've created in person).

2 months later
#2160 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Switch hits during Rescue add crew members to the shuttles (which is why slamming the spinner usually rewards an artifact), hitting Alpha and Beta ramps launch the shuttles the crew are in (thereby rescuing them). The Center shot beams crew members up five at a time. If you hit enough switches and the two ramps you can save all crew members which by then usually awards your second artifact for the mode.

Wait, there are 2 shuttles? I knew about loading the shuttle versus transporting people out, but I assumed either ramp launched THE shuttle that had as many people in it as you loaded up. If there are 2 shuttles, are their people counts separate and if so, what builds one versus the other?

1 month later
#2223 6 years ago

Any way to re-center the playfield in the cabinet? There is quite a bit of room on one side, and it rubs on the other. I'm wanting to add mirrors and/or PinStadium lights and I just don't see a way to fit anything on the one side. Just nudging it over does not adjust the alignment in any permanent way.

2 years later
#4644 3 years ago

Hey guys, I had a bunch of issues crop up with my game today all at once. They seem unrelated, but they happened together, so I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

My game has most of the top disassembled (ramps and wireforms). Before reassembling, I installed a GI OCD. I installed this without issue yesterday. Today when I went to update the software, the game started smoking when I turned it on. None of what's going on seems to have anything to do with GI OCD, but since that was what I was working on, I'm mentioning it.

Here's what all is wrong - these are all new issues:
I immediately turned off the game and saw that the small coil that drops the rear drop target was smoking. It seems fried now.

When I tested coils, it didn't seem that the coils in the same grouping as the burnt coil work, although fuse 105 was not blown.

However, I did notice that fuse 103 was blown (and continues to blow if I put a new one in). This fuse goes to 4 flashers, but 3 of them are in the Borg ship and are not currently connected. I don't see an obvious issue with the only flasher currently connected to this fuse.

I noticed that there are 2 flashers in the backbox that are stuck on (Romulan2 and the one that comes after in the tests).

Additionally, now the error report says I have a ground short on switch rows 2, 5, and 7.

I'm dumb, so all of these things seem totally unrelated, but they all cropped up today at the same time. Any ideas where I should start looking? I didn't see any obvious shorts, and I'm not sure how 3 rows would all short at the same time anyway. I'm hoping there's one thing I'm totally missing that is creating all of the issues.

THANKS!!!

#4653 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

This makes perfect sense as all the coils in the same group with the drop target are powered through J107-1 which is tied to F103. Not sure how you got to F105, but it doesn't matter since its irrelevant.

Quoted from Manny65:

Guessing the STTNG Op Manual is wrong and F103 should say Solenoids #37-#40 - right?? This would make more sense ... I enjoyed trying to work out this one myself, but got thrown off by the manual.

This is exactly what happened.

Thanks for this. I checked my game and there is a tie-back going from the larger drop target up coil to J4-1 on the 8-driver board. For reference, it was the small drop target down coil that burnt. I checked continuity from the large coil lug to J4-1 and it checked. I also checked continuity from J107-1 to J4-1 and it checked as well. So, it seems the wiring is OK.

If I put a fuse in F103 and power on, it blows and the game entire game resets. If I disconnect either J4 or J107, the fuse does not blow (and the game boots fine). Any ideas where to go next?

And on the other issues with the switch rows, I determined it was a faulty ribbon cable (the one that connects in 4 places).

1 week later
#4679 3 years ago

Checking back in to see if anyone has any suggestions for what I should check next:

I checked my game and there is a tie-back going from the larger drop target up coil to J4-1 on the 8-driver board. For reference, it was the small drop target down coil that burnt. I checked continuity from the large coil lug to J4-1 and it checked. I also checked continuity from J107-1 to J4-1 and it checked as well. So, it seems the wiring is OK.

If I put a fuse in F103 and power on, it blows and the entire game resets. If I disconnect either J4 or J107 and turn the game on, the fuse does not blow (and the game boots fine). Any ideas where to go next?

#4682 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Sounds like the transistor (Q13 on the 8-Driver Board) that drives the drop coil (not the larger reset one) is shorted, this caused the coil to melt. First test / replace that transistor then (before you power on the game) replace the melted coil too.

Thanks for this! I've looked at a lot of resources, and they all seem to have different suggestions of how to test transitors, including one source that said don't bother testing them on the 8-Driver board, they will all test bad. ???

I have a DMM. How should I test Q13?

Also, the burnt drop coil is SM1-26-600, and it's totally fried. So, it's hard to tell if the center is supposed to come out or if it's just melted in there. From looking online, it looks like this small coil has the center "pin" permanently connected, since this is how it screwed onto the bracket. Correct?

#4685 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Correct it comes with a built-in core. The coil magnetises the core and pulls in the actuator, that pushes the drop target off the target stop

Awesome, thanks for clarifying. It looked that way from the pictures I found online trying to purchase a new one.

Quoted from bobukcat:

It's still a TIP102 so I don't know why it would test any differently than the same kind of transistor used everywhere else. Same goes for the pre-driver transistors (2N4403) which could also be shorted and causing your issue. The more common failure is the driver (TIP102) though.
Edit: Sorry for not answering your how to test question:

No worries, I'll review the video and go from there.

Thanks everyone for the help...can't wait to play the game again. It's been disassembled for a couple years (getting black nickel plated, full topside teardown, I had surgery, and now this...) so I've never played the game with my upgrades yet. I still have a few things to finish (new hallmark ships, Zitt mod, etc.) but looking forward to it.
20201020_175724 (resized).jpg20201020_175724 (resized).jpg

#4689 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I'd like to see more pictures of that black nickel plating when you get a chance. I'm not sure I'd do the same but it's intriguing and looks really sharp in that picture! Good luck getting it going again, such a great game!

I temporarily moved the game out of my work room (so I can reassemble Shadow while I figure out what's up with STTNG) and the lighting where I took that pic sucks. Once I move the game back in I'll try to get pictures. I can tell the black nickel doesn't photo well. In the picture it looks like black powder coat, but in reality they do not look the same. For lack of more refined descriptions, black powder coat looks like glossy paint, while black nickel looks like black chrome.

1 week later
#4731 3 years ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

I like working on them as much as playing - sometimes more. I offered to restore my neighbors TZ just so I could have a project, but I think he wants to do it himself.

Man I wish you were local to me! I have a long list of games I'm trying to fix up. Hell, I'd give you a game to work on and another one as a loaner to play in your free time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.99
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheeks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club?tu=Cheeks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.