IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2194 Fix for low 12V voltage and slow cannons. Linked to ColorDMD Install. Posted by mavantix (6 years ago)

Post #2578 Hallmark Romulan Warbird modification Posted by Pin_Guy (5 years ago)

Post #2659 canon gearbox; detail photos of innards Posted by scooter8416 (5 years ago)

Post #4774 Tubing used for ends of flipper return lanes. Posted by Gogojohnnyquack (3 years ago)

Post #8277 Disable Officer's Club from the high scores in attract mode. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Post #8653 LX-8 ROM Release with link and description. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BriPin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1708 6 years ago

I just joined the club and am trying to get her running. Does anyone know where these two wires in front of the z connector go? I'm hoping they are for the left flipper opto as that's one of the things not working. Also the z connector isn't connected to anything but I assume it should be. Thanks for any help!

IMG_9866 (resized).JPGIMG_9866 (resized).JPG

#1711 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Match up the wire colors pin-for-pin.

Thanks for the welcome and the help. That was an easy fix and my Romulan flasher is now working! Do you perhaps know the part number for the flipper optos? I need to replace two of them and I can't find it in the manual. Thanks again!

#1713 6 years ago

I did swap them and the flipper works so I think the two u-shaped opts are bad. Thanks for the link but I wanted to know the part number for the just the u-shaped optos so I could replace those. I'll probably order the whole board though. Thanks Pin_Guy!

#1714 6 years ago
Quoted from BriPin:

I wanted to know the part number for the just the u-shaped optos

I think I just found it. Part #5490-12451-00.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5490-12451-00

2 weeks later
#1757 6 years ago

I'm getting high voltage readings on my flipper coils of 65V and the rest of the coils are reading 85V. Is this normal? My machine is a Japanese re-import and I think I have the butterfly connector configured correctly. Can anyone confirm that this is acceptable?

IMG_0067 (resized).JPGIMG_0067 (resized).JPG

#1759 6 years ago
Quoted from Higloss67:

This is for the 120vac.

Thanks for the picture. It seems mine is correct. I still wonder why I'm getting high voltage? I'm making my way through the pinwiki and it says very little could cause high voltage to the solenoids. I wonder what those few things could be although I am sure transformer problems is one of them. Speaking of which, mine hums more than I'm used to with my other pins.

#1761 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

It must not know the words.

I giggled.

Thanks for your input. I did go through the ground braid when I got this machine and it was broken in a spot so I jumped it with alligator clips and now I get continuity throughout. I checked J102 5&9 last night and if I remember correctly I was getting about 33V-34V A/C coming in. I also tested TP5 again and was getting about 83VDC. What reading do you get on TP5?

#1765 6 years ago

I just rebuilt the lower flippers and now a left flip up the Alpha ramp causes the ball come screaming down and smack in to the wireform at the ball drop area and bounce out onto the playfield or bounce out and get stuck on the base of the left cannon. Anyone else have this problem?

#1766 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

check that all the boards are mounted with all the screws and that they are snugged down.

Thanks for the input but everything is snug.

#1768 6 years ago

I reused the FL-11629 coils. It seems to have calmed down somewhat but a clean hit up the Alpha ramp will still cause the issue and I haven't even replaced the crappy ramps yet. Although unrelated, I also put Titan post sleeves on and man, the ball is hopping and airballing all over the place. I don't know if its supposed to be like this.

#1772 6 years ago
Quoted from Higloss67:

Is your coil voltage still high?

I'm still getting ~65V at the flippers and ~85V at the rest of the coils. I believe that my butterfly connector that I posted above is correct. Is there some other way to adjust the AC voltage?

#1773 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

You may want to check the capacitors in the sound circuit. Power supply filter capacitors C24 and C25. The coupling capacitors C15, C21, and C20. And C22.

I'll check it out. Would that cause higher than normal voltages at the coils?

Quoted from bobukcat:

I have them in almost all my games and it greatly increases difficulty on some of them

I have them in my other games as well but don't get the crazy airballs that I'm seeing with this machine.

2 months later
#1893 6 years ago

So, I'm reassembling after a loooong shop job and the brackets on two of my new ramps don't fit the wireforms. I'm beyond frustrated to have to deal with this again as my Taxi ramps had the same issue and I should have checked before getting this far in. Has anyone had a similar problem with the repro ramps?

IMG_0984 (resized).JPGIMG_0984 (resized).JPG
IMG_0986 (resized).JPGIMG_0986 (resized).JPG

4 weeks later
#1919 6 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

Update F116 fuse. Looked good but was not. So ColorDMD + Pinstadium lights might be too much. Will look at separate supply for color dmd.

I just danced that dance a few days ago after I installed a ColorDMD. I ended up replacing BR5 and C30 and F116 no longer blows. My voltages are much better too (+-15.25V at TP1). Onward to my other issues!

2 weeks later
#1936 6 years ago

Quick question for the group: During Final Frontier the advance in rank hole emblem is flashing but never awards the bonus but does register as a shot and shows the shuttle animation. Also, the start mission hole sometimes doesn't start a mission when it should but registers as a shot and also will show the shuttle animation as well. I've tested all optos and they all register normally so I'm perplexed as to what the issue could be. It exhibits this behavior with the original CPU as well as a Rottendog CPU. Any help is appreciated and thanks.

#1940 6 years ago
Quoted from JohnS:

If that opto doesn't register, the ball travels down the subway and hits the opto under the rank hole, so the game thinks the ball fell through the rank hole.

Thanks for your reply. That's the weird thing about it. When it doesn't register at the start mission hole it just travels down the subway with no other award or trigger from any of the the other optos as it travels past them but it is always ejected from the VUK. I can't manually recreate the issue so I'm still left scratching my head.

#1941 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

check the subway up near the start mission hole for cracks

I put in a new subway with Mantis protectors. I checked many times to make sure the protector isn't obstructing the opto. Maybe I'll pull it out to rule out a blockage from it.

Can anyone confirm that during Final Frontier the rank hole definitely
scores a bonus?

2 weeks later
#1973 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

would be a good candidate if the nacelles can be detached from the ship.

They can be removed. I just broke one of the attachment points. The bottom is die-cast and the top and nacelles are plastic.

IMG_1718 (resized).JPGIMG_1718 (resized).JPG

#1974 6 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

I still think this shuttle looks much more detailed than the original version one

Thanks for the tip ClarkKent. It is smaller but it looks much better than my original.

IMG_1721 (resized).JPGIMG_1721 (resized).JPG

#1975 6 years ago
Quoted from BriPin:

the start mission hole sometimes doesn't start a mission when it should

Just to follow up on my issue: I repinned connectors, replaced the LM339, replaced the optos, replaced diodes and removed the mantis protector but still the under borg hole would intermittently not register a shot. Then I figured it had to be that the ball was somehow hopping over the opto. And then I remembered I didn't install the metal guard at the hole under the playfield as I thought it was redundant with the Mantis protectors in place. I was wrong; it is there to avoid this very situation Once I put it back all is as it should be. Live and learn!

3 months later
#2206 6 years ago
Quoted from mnrocketry:

I was cleaning off the shelves and found these repro STTNG ramp decals. Anybody need them? Send me a PM.

PM sent!

#2218 6 years ago

Quick question for the group: I just got my Rock undercab LED kit and J125 pin 3 is keyed on his connector but the board is keyed at pin 4. Am I doing something wrong or is the connector keyed incorrectly? Thanks!

#2221 6 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

Looking at the manual, J125 has pin 4 keyed. Verify with your mod manufacturer.

I did and he made a mistake in the instructions and its supposed to connect to J122 not J125. Thanks!

3 weeks later
2 months later
#2331 5 years ago
Quoted from radium:

My right canon rotates and then weakly vomits the ball

When does it do it? During Final Frontier? Mine shoots normally except during FF when it just dribbles out as you describe.

4 months later
#2488 5 years ago
Quoted from Celofane:

Just a little game to test Final Frontier with my fresh Pinsound card

Your machine started a ball search at around the 12 minute mark. I wonder why? What ROM version are you running?

1 month later
#2554 5 years ago

F116 blew for the second time. Is it normal for F116 itself to to be too hot to touch for long with a Color DMD and Pinsound installed? I already replaced BR5 and C30 to fix the slow cannons but I'm wondering what else I could do? Thanks!

2 months later
#2736 5 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Anyone? Please? Even just a high quality pic? PM me please!

I can pull out my HP 4670 scanner over the weekend to get you a decent scan.

#2738 5 years ago

play_pinball Here you go. You don't realize how bad your cab is until you scan it and zoom to 100% So it could use some touch up. PM me with your email address so I can send the full scan. I also scanned it in 600 DPI which may be overkill but I wanted to see my dings in even higher resolution

STTNG 300 DPI.jpgSTTNG 300 DPI.jpg
1 week later
#2792 5 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Am I missing a post here?

Yes and a 1" rubber ring.

#2794 5 years ago

Mine was the same way when I got it. You can have it re-welded or buy the improved version. I went with the Mantis scoop

https://mantispinball.com/product/star-trek-the-next-generation-mission-start-scoop/

#2796 5 years ago

From what I remember the spot welded points are above the playfield.

1 week later
#2811 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

The canon plungers (particulary the left) sticks "on"

Mine does this too and the fact that you can bang it to make it reset means it a mechanical issue. The plunger is binding somewhere and I tried many times to readjust and I also replaced the plunger but it still happens intermittently.

2 weeks later
#2846 5 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

I'm going to give these a try.

Zitt's product looks great but I put two of these on my BOP with some colored gels over them (picture is without gels) but I did have to put a resistor in-line because I'm using GI OCDLED. I liked the cost effectiveness and the ability to try different colored gels to suit the game and/or my mood.

https://www.cometpinball.com/6-3-V-Plug-Play-Strips-Comet-Pinball-p/6.3vsmdstrips.htm

IMG_3114 (resized).jpgIMG_3114 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#2906 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

I might try the old style Cliffy from Pinball Life. It has screw holes to secure the Cliffy.

I had the same problem so I just drilled a hole in the bottom center of the protector and screwed it in to the bottom of the playfield similar to the old protectors. Works great!

6 months later
#3632 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeSinMD:

It was working, but now when I shoot there, it doesn’t know that I made it.

Is this metal piece installed? I didn't reinstall this when I finished my teardown and the ball would hop over the opto if this isn't there.

IMG_9959 (resized).jpgIMG_9959 (resized).jpg
3 months later
#4039 4 years ago

Pin 5 of J106?

1 year later
#5917 2 years ago
3 weeks later
#6140 2 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Obviously can only install 2 in STTNG.

You can install a third ring light. I cut one up from Comet Pinball and ran some small jumpers to complete the circuit.

IMG_4210 (resized).JPGIMG_4210 (resized).JPG
4 months later
#6834 2 years ago
Quoted from Nacman:

comment if you think this is an issue

As MrMikeman said, it's normal. I believe they 'sing' because the software is pulsing the coil on and off rapidly.

#6839 2 years ago
Quoted from Nacman:

would a different coil pulse quiter

No I wouldn’t think so. It’s just the way it is and is louder with the glass off. You won’t notice it during gameplay.

1 month later
#7138 2 years ago

I don't know how accurate my notes are and what the differences between the two are but I have this as the replacement.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Amphenol-Piher/PT10LV10-103A2020?qs=PZ1ub9NEDaWrX8IHli%2FVDQ%3D%3D

#7148 2 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

that must be for a different board, STTNG seems to call for 2K ohms and horizontal mount is more likely to fit better, but thanks. If someone has the correct ones I would appreciate it. Or if these will work: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Amphenol-Piher/PT10LV10-202A2020-S?qs=pCZPOPZMYPhb8H8I5oW3PQ%3D%3D

I guess there are different revisions of the board because mine is definitely stamped 10K on the pot but you’re right about the orientation being incorrect in my link.

7 months later
#8015 1 year ago
Quoted from ray-dude:

Folks, I'm getting a bunch of airballs from my oblong shuttle targets (A-15658-4 in the manual)
Alas, searching Marco and PBL I'm not seeing these targets. Does anyone have a source or a pointer to an equivalent part number? (ideally reenforced if available)

Did you try to bend the switch bracket forward toward the playfield? They get bent back over time and cause air balls.

PBResource has them http://www.pbresource.com/pfswiwms.html.

3 weeks later
#8135 1 year ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Some detailed information about the STTNG Pinball Borg Ship. Nice ideas about painting too. Back Alley Creations does amazing paint work, if you want to customize your ship.
https://backalleycreations.com/.../borg-ship-and-cannons...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Link is no good and I can’t find it on their website. Care to re-share?

#8159 1 year ago
Quoted from Tallon:

I have had a few of the German re-imports come back in and have had 2 set up exactly the same as you. The high current cut off wiring isn't present but can easily be added. It's actually a secondary harness and plugs into the main harness after the transformer. I'm having the loom made up and if your interested, the maker should have them in his site along with cannon looms if I can ever get the old ones to him.

I’d be interested as well! I have a Japanese re-import with a coin counter installed as well and can’t figure out how this is supposed to be wired.

1 month later
#8288 1 year ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Has anyone here used the Delta Ramp Protector from Marco -
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/RG-12
on a Starship Fantasy replacement Delta Quadrant ramp? Did it pretty much install as-is, or did you have fitment issues due to the thicker plastic of the new ramp, and have to bend the hell out of the thing?

Buy it from mantis directly. https://mantispinball.com/product/star-trek-the-next-generation-delta-ramp-protector/

There weren’t fitness issue for me with a Starship ramp once I realized it was better to screw in the little tab into the post first and then bend the protector into position and then secure it to the ramp.

#8293 1 year ago

Arrrggghhh ... So I guess I'm another victim of the Tieback issue despite having run an additional wire from J4 pin 1 on the 8 driver to pin 1 of J108 on the MPU. My drop up coil fried along with a locked on Romulan flasher. I pulled the 74ALS576 chip and verified it as bad. I'm still not sure why this happened. Would a bad intermittent ribbon cable cause this even though I the tieback wire is in place at the drop target along with the additional wire? Also, when I ground the replacement coils drive wire to the cabinet the coil won't fire despite having power at the other lug. Why is this or is there more of an issue? Thanks for any help.

1 month later
#8395 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

So... I actually was trying to put together a rules explanation and gameplay video earlier this week. If you are considering the game here is yet another random internet stranger's (me) opinion.

Nice video. Your engine GI lights are out.

6 months later
#9346 9 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Any recommendations for replacement magnet boards for the in lanes? I have to adjust one of mine every few games. I replaced one a while back and it's rock solid but cannot for the life of me find it online. Thanks!

I had the same issue and tried cleaning the pot by removing it from the board twice and I still had to reset it every few games. What eventually helped me was pulling out the resistor or whatever it is that’s pushed into that connector that’s under the playfield and tinning the ends of the leads and cleaning the connector as best I could and I haven’t had a problem since and it’s been about eight months. I guess it makes sense that connection would wear over time just like a header would. Good luck!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.99
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
$ 63.95
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BriPin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club?tu=BriPin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.