IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2194 Fix for low 12V voltage and slow cannons. Linked to ColorDMD Install. Posted by mavantix (6 years ago)

Post #2578 Hallmark Romulan Warbird modification Posted by Pin_Guy (5 years ago)

Post #2659 canon gearbox; detail photos of innards Posted by scooter8416 (5 years ago)

Post #4774 Tubing used for ends of flipper return lanes. Posted by Gogojohnnyquack (3 years ago)

Post #8277 Disable Officer's Club from the high scores in attract mode. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Post #8653 LX-8 ROM Release with link and description. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Axl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#110 9 years ago

Wow, that Borg ship looked amazing!
I just started painting mine. At least with the primer.
But I am looking at ending up with the same colour scheme as you have.
I have seen some that are done very black, and that doesn't look right.
So gray shades with a bit of metallic is the way I am going.
Maybe I have to get a more light gray color for the base?

image.jpgimage.jpg

Axl

9 months later
#165 8 years ago

Finally got the time to get the painting done on my ship. Really happy with the results!
And I had a fun time doing it.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

Now, on to the cannons.

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

4 months later
#345 8 years ago
Quoted from mskoenen:

Has anyone installed a playfield spotlight? If so, where did you put it?

I am in the exact same boat.
I had a long stare at the playfield, but I could not find any good places for them.
I would like to light up the Borg ship and the general PF areas

Axl

1 week later
#367 8 years ago

Someone just offered to buy my STTNG. I have to admit that it is somewhat tempting, but at the same time, I just freaking love that game!
Is there any games that can compare to STTNG, toys/features/code?

Axl

1 week later
#401 8 years ago

Thanks for the info about the domed cannons. I bought the domes myself, but could not figure out how to remove the old ones.
Now I know

Axl

2 months later
#648 7 years ago

Pin guy: what do you treat the metal brackets with when you have cleaned them up? And what do you use to clean them?

Axl

5 months later
#951 7 years ago

Does anyone have any good suggestions for spotlights in STTNG? it is very dark...

#957 7 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

This is where I installed mine! Used the super bright 4smd white bulbs!

Thank you!
That looks like a good place to have them.
I will update the thread when I place mine.

#958 7 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

Are there others that make sense to consider as well?

I have The Shadow next to my STTNG. TS is a totally different beast, lightening fast, great ruleset, animation, music. It will never leave!

4 weeks later
#1244 7 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

The tieback mod has been covered many times on Pinside, maybe we should make a specific thread about it so we can easily refer everyone to the thread?

The best thing would be to update the first post in this thread. That way it would be very easy to find, and for new owners would see it
right away.

1 week later
#1300 7 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

ny tips on reducing the glare from the DMD?

This is cheap, works wonders, and won`t look silly in the machine.

http://www.cometpinball.com/DMD-GLARE-ELIMINATOR-p/dmdglare.htm

#1325 7 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Looks like that would work great also. It doesn't say what machines it fits, or if its universal.

It is universal. i Have it on Pinball Magic, BSD, STTNG, TS and so on.

2 months later
#1605 6 years ago

Regarding the Tieback mod. this is a great thread with very good explanation.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-tieback-clarification#post-3041844

8 months later
#2093 6 years ago

What is the easiest way to adjust the upper flipper so it is perfectly aligned?
I can make the shot, but not consistently, and would just want to make sure it is perfect.

4 months later
#2300 5 years ago

I am thinking about doing a top shop of my STTNG and changing all the optos for fresh ones. This will be my 7th or so top shop.

How bad is it?

2 months later
#2378 5 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

For you, Ill make you one quickly

Thank you for those cards, fit the theme and design of the machine.

#2382 5 years ago

to change out the mission start cover, do i need to remove the subway? or can i sneak it out?

#2384 5 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

to change out the mission start cover, do i need to remove the subway? or can i sneak it out?

To answer my own question, no.

side note, the owner before med cleand up the game very nice. removed the subway and it was very clean. impressive.
The game has been performing flawless in 3 years now. is that a record?

5 months later
#2661 5 years ago
Quoted from scooter8416:

Finished up the cannon gearboxes tonight.

Someone make this a Key post!

4 weeks later
#2688 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

these are much cleaner and IMO give you better ball control.

I would say too much ball control. Go with the titan ones. They are silicone and plays like a normal red rubber. The super bands are too sticky for my taste.

#2694 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

this is an in home pin for a player that wants to enjoy the game and not have it as "the black sheep" of his collection.

You are totally right. With you 100% When I think back, my game came with super bands. Maybe that’s the reason that I got hooked in.

2 years later
#6462 2 years ago

last year (!) my son was playing my game and shouted from the basement that it was on fire.
Found out the hard way that the tieback mod was not done.
I have tried to fix the old board, no go. I have bought a new board and coil. I have done the tieback mod with the tieback going to J08 as suggested
at pinwiki.

I have checked all my fuses, all good. still, all the diverter coils are dead.
I bet this has come up like 100 times, but I am stumped. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

2 months later
#6756 2 years ago

I am trying to work trough this list made by Pin_Guy
The game did not have the tieback mod and fried a coil and the board. new board and coil is in the game.

Here is the checklist:

In order to properly diagnose this problem you should perform testing on all parts listed above with power off:
1) You should read a short between the +50V TP (TP6) on the power board and J4-1 CHECK
2) You should NOT have a short between J4-1 (50V) and J4-7 (GND) CHECK
3) With the J4 cable removed, the coils should measure around 10 ohms each between the Pin 1 of the J4 cable and solenoids at pins 2, 4, and 5; and 5 ohms at pin 6.
4) The transistors should have high resistance between J4-7 (GND) and the solenoids connectors on J4 pins 2-6 with the cable removed CHECK
5) The blocking diodes should pass a diode test between J4-1 (+50V) and the solenoid connectors on J4 pins 2-6 with the cable removed CHECK
If the above tests do not ALL pass, powering on the machine could result in secondary failures as mentioned above.

Any suggestions on what to test next? i do not get the readings on
3) With the J4 cable removed, the coils should measure around 10 ohms each between the Pin 1 of the J4 cable and solenoids at pins 2, 4, and 5; and 5 ohms at pin 6.
my readings is way off. am i using the multimeter wrong?

please educate me

1 year later
#8303 1 year ago

My 8 driver board fried today. I thought I had fixed the problem. The board was fixed, new coil, tie back mod done.
Then while I was playing, the machine took some thinking, then the transistor on thee 8 driver and the coil associated fried.

What did I do wrong?

3FAF6994-D208-4571-A8EC-4EF250552742 (resized).jpeg3FAF6994-D208-4571-A8EC-4EF250552742 (resized).jpeg

Tie back mod

F586F86E-85BD-4DD7-A6D8-36587CC0F88E (resized).jpegF586F86E-85BD-4DD7-A6D8-36587CC0F88E (resized).jpegB9AEADCE-CDC2-4135-A259-49ECC8219268 (resized).jpegB9AEADCE-CDC2-4135-A259-49ECC8219268 (resized).jpeg

#8305 1 year ago

I tested all the transistors and pre drivers. The only one I needed to replace was the burnt one.
I have a spare board. What do I need to test before I replace it? Except the coil, that is given.

7 months later
#9230 10 months ago

Trying to fix a STTNG that had the 8 driver board fried and one coil. When I power it up, none of the coils from the 8 driver board works.

The 12v that goes to cannons is not working. The 12v is entering the board though.
I have tested all transistors and predrivers, they all look fine.

Is my board configured correct?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#9232 10 months ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

First question I have.....did you do the factory required TIE BACK "Fix" / "Mod"? It's discussed a dozen times on this page?

Yes, I did, I checked continuity on several connections and around the game. All good.
my only regret is that I didn’t check that it was done when I bought the game.

#9240 10 months ago
Quoted from radium:

That board looks like its seen some shit. Maybe just replace it unless you just like the challenge.

Actuqlly, that board is brand new! It’s from pinball center. They sell shit products though.

5 months later
#9757 4 months ago

I bought the STTNG cannon replacement harness. In the manual it says that you should turn the cable clockwise. I don’t understand that.
Has anyone installed it and has some knowledge?

2 months later
#10221 36 days ago

My game started to activate the plunger in attract mode after a while. I counted 9 activations with random timing. Then not ring for 30 minutes and then once more. Any suggestions on what it could be?

Edit:

I played a game now, and everything went bananas. It repeatedly plunged, and a lot of phantom scoring. A short in the switch matrix?

#10223 36 days ago

Very weird. It worked fine during the weekend. I will check. Hopefully it will be a quick fix.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 64.99
8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 63.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Axl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club?tu=Axl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.