IMG_1999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240414_092939 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,370 posts in this topic. You are on page 76 of 208.
#3751 4 years ago
Quoted from pfinny:

The linkage connection would have to be removed and mounted to the other side, would probably have to weld it

Yes, if you can do that then you can make it work as the original linkage just fit through a hole in the plate and was welded. This is essentially an unbreakable game specific part so its unlikely that it will be restocked, so if the original is missing your options are severely limited.

Picture of the original weld:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3752 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Mine does this too - did yours include the 3M double sided tape to affix it to the playfield? Try bending the little arms that grab onto the underside

I tried bending the arms a little bit but it wasn't enough to prevent movement. Mine did not come with 3M tape...did yours? That may work if it doesn't raise up the lip at all to affect the ball??

#3753 4 years ago
Quoted from PinHigh1:

I tried bending the arms a little bit but it wasn't enough to prevent movement. Mine did not come with 3M tape...did yours? That may work if it doesn't raise up the lip at all to affect the ball??

Mine did not - but I added it, and there’s far less movement

#3754 4 years ago

I thought Cliffy had started shipping all of his protectors with 3M tape? I think i read that somewhere, but i could easily be wrong...

#3755 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballphile:

Hello: I'm new here, and I'd like to ask a couple of questions please.
In preparation for installing a Color DMD (thanks, spblat), I got some power issues cleaned up (hopefully). I also wanted to clean all the optos in the game. However, in searching the ST:TNG operations manual, I don't see all of the optos listed in one place, and I couldn't find a list in a quick search of the forum. Does anyone know of a list of the most common optos that need cleaning in this game please? (Also, years ago, I used a Q-tip with isopropyl alcohol to clean optos in other games before. Is that still the preferred approach?)
Also, I wanted to replace the five ribbon cables. Is there anything special about the pinball specific cables, or will generic ones work as long as the pin count and length are appropriate? (I think one of them has a ferrite device as well).
Many thanks in advance for your help!

The switch matrix (shown a few posts previously in this thread) will have a shaded box for each of the optos. Cleaning them with a q-tip and alcohol is fine, be sure to check or reflow the solder on the ones in the two left VUKs while you have them apart.

#3756 4 years ago

Thank you, bobukcat!

#3757 4 years ago

I've recently started making cannon wire harnesses using MIL-W-16878/4 Type E Stranded Wire. If you are unfamiliar with this type wire, it's the same wire that's you will find in military electronics. The wire insulation is Extruded Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) and allows for use in high temperature environments and protects the wire against abrasion, chemicals, oils, solvents, and solder damage, and it's flame and moisture resistant. The conductor is 19 strands of 34 gauge silver plated copper, this makes the wire very flexible, low loss, and expensive.

I've actually place my soldering iron (@600F) directly on the PTFE insulation for several seconds and the insulation remained undamaged.

The upside, this cable should last forever.

The downside, this wire is 3x as expensive as standard 7/30 PVC coated tin plated copper wire.

The questions: Do you think this is overkill for the application? At $55/pair are these harnesses over priced?

#3758 4 years ago

Marco sold replacement looms for $49. So; no I don't consider 55/pair expensive.

#3759 4 years ago

I don't think its over priced either. A good deal if I never have to replace them ever again

#3760 4 years ago

Well my Row short is killing me.. Replaced 57 switch Top Drop Target Cherry switch thinking that was it.. Still getting 57 Row short. WHT-VIO - GRN-BLK.. If I pull the green black all go to open. Other switches register when that green wire is off too. I'm stumped. Traced the green/blk wire and pulled the next connector in line but that didn't clear the short.

Am I understanding the matrix wrong? Poor Picard is getting pissed at me!

IMG_20200109_192508_MP (resized).jpgIMG_20200109_192508_MP (resized).jpg
#3761 4 years ago

My gun harnesses are original. I’d be in for a set.

#3762 4 years ago
Quoted from SDVmnt:

Still getting 57 Row short. WHT-VIO - GRN-BLK..

Do you get this when the drop target is up?

#3763 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Do you get this when the drop target is up?

Strangely.. I just turned it back on to double check. Switch was open. Pushed target up to make sure it wasn't on. Everything connected and still open. Started lowering the deck and row short. That tells me a short in the wire from 57 to the head right?

Or does it reset somehow after powering off/on.

#3764 4 years ago
Quoted from SDVmnt:

Strangely.. I just turned it back on to double check. Switch was open. Pushed target up to make sure it wasn't on. Everything connected and still open. Started lowering the deck and row short. That tells me a short in the wire from 57 to the head right?

More than likely.

What you are seeing is column 5 is going low all the time (either open or shorted to ground), then when the drop target switch closes, row 7 stays low during every column and is seen as a row short. If you take a voltage measurement on Column 5 when you have the error, I'll bet you read nearly no voltage on it.

#3765 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I'd start with the connector on the driver board, these are often toasted on this game and if it hasn't been fixed properly could be causing your issues. Did you just LED this game or did this happen after you were playing?

Finally got a chance to have a look at this and it didn't align with the pinout given in the manual?

IMG_20200110_175014 (resized).jpgIMG_20200110_175014 (resized).jpg

IMG_20200110_175034 (resized).jpgIMG_20200110_175034 (resized).jpg

I feel like the orange in 120-1 should be 120-2, the yellow in 120-2 should be 120-3 and The brown in 121-3 should be 121-1? That would explain why the insert and shields GI are swapped around at least, right?

Some of the others seem a bit out of place too? 120-7 and 120-8 should be 120-8 and 120-9? 121-9 should be 121-7?

#3766 4 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

Finally got a chance to have a look at this and it didn't align with the pinout given in the manual?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I feel like the orange in 120-1 should be 120-2, the yellow in 120-2 should be 120-3 and The brown in 121-3 should be 121-1? That would explain why the insert and shields GI are swapped around at least, right?
Some of the others seem a bit out of place too? 120-7 and 120-8 should be 120-8 and 120-9? 121-9 should be 121-7?

Mine is as per the manual (except white-green on J121 which is in 121-8 rather than 121-10 as indicated in the manual)

#3767 4 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

I feel like the orange in 120-1 should be 120-2, the yellow in 120-2 should be 120-3 and The brown in 121-3 should be 121-1?

Both your J120 and J121 are different from mine; I'm not 100% sure which one is correct though; but I would assume that you wouldn't want the same pin position populated on both J120 and J121; I mention this so you are aware that if decide to move one of them on J120, you should also consider moving the one using that connection point on J121 as well.

#3768 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I've recently started making cannon wire harnesses using MIL-W-16878/4 Type E Stranded Wire. If you are unfamiliar with this type wire, it's the same wire that's you will find in military electronics. The wire insulation is Extruded Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) and allows for use in high temperature environments and protects the wire against abrasion, chemicals, oils, solvents, and solder damage, and it's flame and moisture resistant. The conductor is 19 strands of 34 gauge silver plated copper, this makes the wire very flexible, low loss, and expensive.
I've actually place my soldering iron (@600F) directly on the PTFE insulation for several seconds and the insulation remained undamaged.
The upside, this cable should last forever.
The downside, this wire is 3x as expensive as standard 7/30 PVC coated tin plated copper wire.
The questions: Do you think this is overkill for the application? At $55/pair are these harnesses over priced?

If you could provide a bubble-envelope, no custums service to Europe, i'd be in for a set

#3769 4 years ago

So last night I turn on my STTNG for the first time after about 3 weeks (been busy with other things), and I get the dreaded "insert coin" message. Having been there on my LAH I pull out the translite right away, and of course, the nice copper heads from Duracell started leaking. Juts minimal, and except for the contact on the battery holder I am not seeing any damage. So of course, I think I got "lucky". Pull the board and cleaned it with vinegar and alcohol...still no damage on the board to be seen.....puhhh...
Board goes back in, reset all connectors, turn on,....error. Tilt switch stuck closed....what!?!?!?!
So I take another look....darn it. Battery must have leaked onto all J connectors. 3 of the 4 on the bottom clearly show corrosion.
So now my question, should I replace with crimped IDCs or keep it stock and use punch down? How far back should I cut the cable? Pretty much cut them right behind the IDCs for now.

20200112_203151 (resized).jpg20200112_203151 (resized).jpg
#3770 4 years ago

Guys - check your batteries. I make it a point of swapping batteries at every TPF regardless of their age... that way; I know the likeliness of leakage is near zero. One day; maybe I'll covert to nvram.

#3771 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Guys - check your batteries. I make it a point of swapping batteries at every TPF regardless of their age... that way; I know the likeliness of leakage is near zero. One day; maybe I'll covert to nvram.

I had just swapped them 9 months ago.....so I cannot blame myself for not paying attention to it....what's your take on punch vs crimp though.

#3772 4 years ago

I know I sound like a broken record on this, but why is anyone using Alkaline batteries? AA sized lithium batteries have been commercially available for over 30 years!

Now to answer your question...I use IDC punch downs because I like working with them better and have the correct tools for them; from a function standpoint use whatever you prefer as it makes no difference for these logic circuits.

#3773 4 years ago

Pinside has a feature, whereby you can record when you change the battery on the machines in your collection and it'll send email reminders when they are due to be changed.

#3774 4 years ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

I had just swapped them 9 months ago.....so I cannot blame myself for not paying attention to it....what's your take on punch vs crimp though.

Yikes, Duracells?
Strangely; my two Ballys ( Star Trek Star Trek: The Mirror Universe ) have remote battery packs; but my STNG and DEST does not. I think it comes down to not having the CPU board out of the games long enough to do a remote pack.

My take is crimp because I trust crimps more the Punch … my opinion differs form Pin_Guy … but to each his own.

#3775 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Crap, I need to check mine tonight. Lithium batteries AT MINIMUM.

#3776 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Yikes, Duracells?
Strangely; my two Ballys ( Star Trek Star Trek: The Mirror Universe ) have remote battery packs; but my STNG and DEST does not. I think it comes down to not having the CPU board out of the games long enough to do a remote pack.
My take is crimp because I trust crimps more the Punch … my opinion differs form pin_guy … but to each his own.

Just read about this “Mirror Universe” retheme. This is so incredibly bad ass. Hat tip.

#3777 4 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Pinside has a feature, whereby you can record when you change the battery on the machines in your collection and it'll send email reminders when they are due to be changed.

I use the pinside battery tracker too, but have also made a Google Sheets form to track the play of each machine and also include the date of battery change. I have never noticed a leakage issue with my lithium batteries and they are going strong after a couple years.

#3778 4 years ago
Quoted from TimBoch:

I use the pinside battery tracker too, but have also made a Google Sheets form to track the play of each machine and also include the date of battery change. I have never noticed a leakage issue with my lithium batteries and they are going strong after a couple years.[quoted image]

Do lithium batteries leak (like alkaline)? And if they do, does it cause any issues?

It is interesting checking out the game stats, how many games you put on machines and your average ball times. I also like comparing things like left vs right outlane drains and left vs right flipper usage.

#3779 4 years ago

Permission to come aboard?

TNG (resized).pngTNG (resized).png

#3780 4 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Do lithium batteries leak (like alkaline)? And if they do, does it cause any issues?
It is interesting checking out the game stats, how many games you put on machines and your average ball times. I also like comparing things like left vs right outlane drains and left vs right flipper usage.

they technically do, but it is WAAAAY less often and takes much longer to happen. Basically they would die before this is a real issue

#3781 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Permission to come aboard?

Granted.

#3782 4 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

I have heard they can, and seen a picture of one that leaked once and it was a coincell type. I personally use lithium batteries in everything that takes a battery and have for decades and have yet to see one leak. The current set of batteries in my STTNG were installed in November 2015, I never check them and don't loose any sleep over it.

If you are still concerned, here is the application handbook for Energizer Lithium Batteries...yes its more information than you ever wanted to know.
https://data.energizer.com/PDFs/lithiuml91l92_appman.pdf

#3783 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I personally use lithium batteries in everything that takes a battery and have for decades and have yet to see one leak. The current set of batteries in my STTNG were installed in November 2015, I never check them and don't loose any sleep over it.

Getting a good life out of them - maybe they're dilithium??

#3784 4 years ago

I listened......now I just need to wait for the idc connectors.

20200114_202500 (resized).jpg20200114_202500 (resized).jpg
#3785 4 years ago

I have an issue with weak flippers.

I have rebuilt all flippers. Coils (3x 11629), sleeves, bats, bushings, plungers+links.
Also checked the transformer jumpering. It's on 230V, which is correct. I also tried next lower one (220V I think), no difference.

This is what they are probably supposed to be like:

Mine feel like half the power.

I can never make the left orbit. And rarely the Delta quadrant.

Any suggestions what to try next?

#3786 4 years ago
Quoted from ViperVS:

I have an issue with weak flippers.
I have rebuilt all flippers. Coils (3x 11629), sleeves, bats, bushings, plungers+links.
Also checked the transformer jumpering. It's on 230V, which is correct. I also tried next lower one (220V I think), no difference.
This is what they are probably supposed to be like:

Mine feel like half the power.
I can never make the left orbit. And rarely the Delta quadrant.
Any suggestions what to try next?

Have you cleaned / checked / replaced the flipper switch optos and interrupters?

#3787 4 years ago

I recently joined the club, I’m currently going through the machine with a fine tooth comb, I found this in the bottom of the cabinet, anyone know what it is?

23B8DD93-DA62-4EF9-B45E-76ECC2A83728 (resized).jpeg23B8DD93-DA62-4EF9-B45E-76ECC2A83728 (resized).jpeg
#3788 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I recently joined the club, I’m currently going through the machine with a fine tooth comb, I found this in the bottom of the cabinet, anyone know what it is?

Its a random piece of metal that is not part of your machine.

#3789 4 years ago

Pretty sure it's a divider for the coinbox. Incase you had quarters and something else you could divide it and not have to sort it.

#3790 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

Pretty sure it's a divider for the coinbox. Incase you had quarters and something else you could divide it and not have to sort it.

interesting...I was attempting to judge size based on the grain marks and put it at roughly 1" x 4" ... but the shape would be about right if it was much larger than I suspected.

Still...not part of your machine.

#3791 4 years ago

It sure is! Nice call!!

AD474DD3-C87C-4206-B284-F900063656F4 (resized).jpegAD474DD3-C87C-4206-B284-F900063656F4 (resized).jpeg
#3792 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

retty sure it's a divider for the coinbox. Incase you had quarters and something else you could divide it and not have to sort it.

I had to look it up ...

#3793 4 years ago

You don't have a SBA coin mech in there do you?

#3794 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

You don't have a SBA coin mech in there do you?

I’m not sure what an SBA is, but here’s a pic

CC39152E-80F4-4804-AE3B-12886AA31196 (resized).jpegCC39152E-80F4-4804-AE3B-12886AA31196 (resized).jpeg
#3795 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I’m not sure what an SBA is, but here’s a pic

Looking at your coin box, it looks like that divider was installed on the left, you would only do this if you have different coin mechs, like one for quarters and another for dollars ... like for the Susan B. Anthony dollar. Its very uncommon to have anything other than $.25 mechs in a US machine and you have a US coin door. I'm just trying to logically figure out why you have a machine with a coin box divider that was actually used ....

#3796 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Looking at your coin box, it looks like that divider was installed on the left, you would only do this if you have different coin mechs, like one for quarters and another for dollars ... like for the Susan B. Anthony dollar. Its very uncommon to have anything other than $.25 mechs in a US machine and you have a US coin door. I'm just trying to logically figure out why you have a machine with a coin box divider that was actually used ....

It was used for sure because you can see the marks on the steel, I’m guessing tokens?

#3797 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I know I sound like a broken record on this, but why is anyone using Alkaline batteries? AA sized lithium batteries have been commercially available for over 30 years!

Anyone using NiHM rechargeable batteries in this role besides me? Any reason I shouldn't?

#3798 4 years ago

Susan B Anthony. They were the dollar coin back then.

#3799 4 years ago

I just finished up shopping this game out and I go to play a game and the credit registered but no balls came out, any ideas? Thanks

UPDATE: blown f112 on the driver board, now it’s continuously firing balls into and out of left VUK

#3800 4 years ago

I would guess it's trying to stage the balls in the subway and failing.

Have you tested that all of the coils work in the solenoid test? You should be able to hear the subway diverters fire.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.99
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 63.95
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 15.00
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,370 posts in this topic. You are on page 76 of 208.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/76?hl=arcadedanger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.