Topic Stats

• 3,622 posts
  • 315 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Kobex
  • Topic is favorited by 194 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 973 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
32634AE7-78D6-4957-B078-2DFC650D9D48 (resized).jpeg
024E9455-064A-46C3-BB90-D9972549CAF2 (resized).jpeg
7DB193FE-C053-4393-9F1C-4EAC6C2227DA (resized).jpeg
20171115_140928 (resized).jpg
sttng 020 (resized).JPG
sttng 019 (resized).JPG
D341BCBC-D506-4B20-A253-332E64299FA6 (resized).jpeg
STTNG CREW 19 PST NC (resized).jpg
STTNG NC SHIPS PST (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_20191008_173607 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3622 posts in this topic. You are on page 73 of 73.
#3601 6 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

“Under Siege”. That’s why the game has those cannons apparently.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation_(pinball)

Huh crazy. Seems like a weird choice for a movie tie in, but it was popular for a second. Wonder if there was any work done on it before it became STTNG.

#3602 5 days ago

Hey does anyone have a good used right sling plastic they’d sell me? Shoot me a PM please.

7DB193FE-C053-4393-9F1C-4EAC6C2227DA (resized).jpeg

#3603 5 days ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Hey does anyone have a good used right sling plastic they’d sell me? Shoot me a PM please.

Maybe. I have one, but I'm not sure which side it is. I'll look when I get home.

#3604 5 days ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Maybe. I have one, but I'm not sure which side it is. I'll look when I get home.

Much appreciated sir.

#3605 5 days ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

[quoted image]

You and I have a very similar play style.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/84487

#3606 5 days ago

Hahahah it’s a talent.

#3607 4 days ago

Picked up my STTNG today and it played perfectly for about 10 games.
But now the left cannon is constantly moving and the game is calling to launch a class 1 probe- even if another mode/mission is running.
Is this a cannon opto issue?

#3608 4 days ago
Quoted from Hijacked:

But now the left cannon is constantly moving and the game is calling to launch a class 1 probe- even if another mode/mission is running.

It's pretty much ALWAYS an opto issue, but not necessarily one on the cannon. I'd start in test mode and eliminate the Optos which do work and focus on the others

#3609 4 days ago
Quoted from Hijacked:

Go into settings and disable that cannon and see how the game behaves, it could be an opto issue or an issue with the wiring harness to that cannon.

#3610 4 days ago

I had read about Rikers Poker Night game (you can enable it in the diagnostic menus) but only learned yesterday how to activate it. Basically, when you get the holodeck mode (video mode; aka shuttle through the caverns game), you are prompted to take the 25M or try the video mode. The hidden Riker's poker night is accessed through there, you basically hold the phaser trigger and the right flipper button to get into it. You're given a poker hand, then you select a card left and right flippers, then trigger to discard. Both to finish your hand.

I only won 1 time out of 4 games I played. You get points for beating Riker and then for the type of hand you have (4 of a Kind netted ~ 45M points).

STTNG is my favorite right now, so many levels of challenge.

#3611 4 days ago

I have joined the club! This is my first pin, and I'm really enjoying it.

I have a intermittent issue with the flippers, however. If a ball comes in a little hot and I have the right flipper(s) fully extended, the force of the ball impacting the flipper can sometimes force the flipper down a bit while I'm still holding the button in. Since the flipper had some give the ball basically sticks to it as opposed to bouncing off, and while the ball is resting there the flipper sits in a "drooped" state. The amount it droops after impact varies. Sometimes it just dips just a bit and holds there, and sometimes it slowly droops down quite a bit. If I still hold the flipper button in and the flipper is still close to horizontal (thus the ball doesn't move much), sometimes the flipper "re-engages" to normal which auto-hits the ball back up all while I'm just holding down the button.

I thought it might not be a flipper problem since I've had it happen on both left and right before. It almost never happens on the left, but that could be because the ball doesn't come in that fast to an extended flipper on the left nearly as often. Or maybe it's due to the right activating two flippers instead of one? I'm not sure. Or maybe I'm going nuts and it didn't really happen on the left. That is entirely possible.

I'm also not sure if there's an easy way to isolate to a flipper issue, power issue, or other. I could check the power levels when I get home. I believe I saw some previous posts in this or another thread about how to do that. Is it normal to have the lights behind the backglass dim momentarily ever time you activate a flipper, or would that indicate a potential power deficiency?

Outside of these somewhat rare occurrences, the flippers appear to operate at normal strength. I seem to be able to make all the necessary shots from a cradle if hit cleanly. Well, my neutral zone center target only fires some of the time on impact, which makes battle simulation a pain, I'm guessing that'll just be a switch adjustment. I tried to already tweak it once without fully removing it and the activation chance on hit went from ~5% to ~60%. Maybe I just need to pop it out for a proper adjustment.

I did add an LED Color DMD, although the flipper issue didn't appear to act any differently before and after.

If this is a common-ish problem, any insight would be appreciated! I tried to look around but didn't see posts detailing exactly this behavior.

#3612 4 days ago
Quoted from Kobex:

I have joined the club! This is my first pin, and I'm really enjoying it.
I have a intermittent issue with the flippers, however. If a ball comes in a little hot and I have the right flipper(s) fully extended, the force of the ball impacting the flipper can sometimes force the flipper down a bit while I'm still holding the button in. Since the flipper had some give the ball basically sticks to it as opposed to bouncing off, and while the ball is resting there the flipper sits in a "drooped" state. The amount it droops after impact varies. Sometimes it just dips just a bit and holds there, and sometimes it slowly droops down quite a bit. If I still hold the flipper button in and the flipper is still close to horizontal (thus the ball doesn't move much), sometimes the flipper "re-engages" to normal which auto-hits the ball back up all while I'm just holding down the button.
I thought it might not be a flipper problem since I've had it happen on both left and right before. It almost never happens on the left, but that could be because the ball doesn't come in that fast to an extended flipper on the left nearly as often. Or maybe it's due to the right activating two flippers instead of one? I'm not sure. Or maybe I'm going nuts and it didn't really happen on the left. That is entirely possible.
I'm also not sure if there's an easy way to isolate to a flipper issue, power issue, or other. I could check the power levels when I get home. I believe I saw some previous posts in this or another thread about how to do that. Is it normal to have the lights behind the backglass dim momentarily ever time you activate a flipper, or would that indicate a potential power deficiency?
Outside of these somewhat rare occurrences, the flippers appear to operate at normal strength. I seem to be able to make all the necessary shots from a cradle if hit cleanly. Well, my neutral zone center target only fires some of the time on impact, which makes battle simulation a pain, I'm guessing that'll just be a switch adjustment. I tried to already tweak it once without fully removing it and the activation chance on hit went from ~5% to ~60%. Maybe I just need to pop it out for a proper adjustment.
I did add an LED Color DMD, although the flipper issue didn't appear to act any differently before and after.
If this is a common-ish problem, any insight would be appreciated! I tried to look around but didn't see posts detailing exactly this behavior.

Welcome to the club, it's a great game and you have all sorts of fantastic support help for it here!

What you describe sounds like a pretty standard flipper EOS (end of stroke) problem. The EOS's sole purpose in a modern game like STTNG (as opposed to old EM's and Solid State games) is to tell the computer that the flipper has been knocked down and needs to be re-energized. The EOS switches on STTNG are normally open so if you go into switch test mode and manually push the flipper bat up you should see the switch close at the end of stroke and re-open when you release it. My guess is you have dirty or, since the game is new to you, missing EOS switches. It could be something else so do this test and if they are not registering you'll need to examine the flipper assemblies and clean (just with some rough paper, never a file) / adjust those switches, assuming they are installed. If they are installed and clean but still not registering we can help you troubleshoot that too, could be a broken wire or something more difficult.

#3613 4 days ago
Quoted from ArcadeDanger:

I only won 1 time out of 4 games I played. You get points for beating Riker and then for the type of hand you have (4 of a Kind netted ~ 45M points).

It's really hard to call his bluff when you can't see his left eye twitching Have you found/tried the Arkanoid/Breakout clone game? It's worth a look too, you have to enter a flipper combination during attract - the display will flicker to confirm entry if I remember correctly - and then access it the same way you get to the poker game.

#3614 4 days ago
Quoted from slippifishi:

It's really hard to call his bluff when you can't see his left eye twitching Have you found/tried the Arkanoid/Breakout clone game? It's worth a look too, you have to enter a flipper combination during attract - the display will flicker to confirm entry if I remember correctly - and then access it the same way you get to the poker game.

This website has a neat listing of Easter eggs in a lot of pinball machines. The list is in alphabetical order so just scroll down to Star Trek Next Generation.

http://hem.bredband.net/b257182/Cows&Easter.htm

#3615 3 days ago

I play poker 100% of holodeck visits. Wish I could make it mandatory in the settings.

#3616 3 days ago

Can someone point me to a photo of the underside of the right cannon ? I can't seem to find the switch setup in the manual, and I am
Pretty sure I have the wrong switches installed in mine. It's always misaligned and I'm having trouble correcting it

#3617 3 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Can someone point me to a photo of the underside of the right cannon ? I can't seem to find the switch setup in the manual, and I am
Pretty sure I have the wrong switches installed in mine. It's always misaligned and I'm having trouble correcting it

I took these on mine. Hope they help. Let me know if you need a different shot though.

024E9455-064A-46C3-BB90-D9972549CAF2 (resized).jpeg32634AE7-78D6-4957-B078-2DFC650D9D48 (resized).jpeg
#3618 3 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

If you are talking about the cannon aligning to the wireform when parked, this is not typically aligned by the switches underneath. This final alignment is made by loosing the four screws holding the cannon assembly to the Plate Nut and manually turning the cannon to where it needs to be positioned when parked.

#3619 3 days ago

Excellent. That photo was in the EXACT spot I needed. And thanks pin_guy for the clarification.

I did do the adjustment already, but perhaps I need to do it again. The leaf on the switch was bent quite a bit and once I straightened it the alignment was worse. I was concerned that maybe it wasn’t supposed to be straight, but the photo confirms it.

The cannon also seems to slip when rotating, maybe I need to check how tight the screws are.

One other question: what in the heck purpose does the screw to the top of the gearbox do? It seems like it would always be closed.

#3620 2 days ago

I have rebuilt all flippers and I think they are still a bit weak.
Am I supposed to make the left orbit shot all the way around with cradled ball?
How about delta quadrant ramp with ”slow ball”?
Playfield is cleaned/waxed and at 6,5”. Bottom coils are 11629. Upper is 11630 (Wrong?).

#3621 2 days ago
Quoted from ViperVS:

layfield is cleaned/waxed and at 6,5”. Bottom coils are 11629. Upper is 11630 (Wrong?).

My game has these installed:

The manual and parts list shows these as FL-11629, however when I performed my restoration, my game had two FL-11629 coils which I could tell were original, and a single FL-11630 for the right flipper which was obviously much newer and wrong. It's my understanding that the FL-17636 was an "experimental coil" and was changed mid-production to the FL-11629 which is a much stronger coil.

As you can see in the diagram below the FL-11629 is much stronger than the FL-17636.

#3622 2 days ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Welcome to the club, it's a great game and you have all sorts of fantastic support help for it here!

What you describe sounds like a pretty standard flipper EOS (end of stroke) problem. The EOS's sole purpose in a modern game like STTNG (as opposed to old EM's and Solid State games) is to tell the computer that the flipper has been knocked down and needs to be re-energized. The EOS switches on STTNG are normally open so if you go into switch test mode and manually push the flipper bat up you should see the switch close at the end of stroke and re-open when you release it. My guess is you have dirty or, since the game is new to you, missing EOS switches. It could be something else so do this test and if they are not registering you'll need to examine the flipper assemblies and clean (just with some rough paper, never a file) / adjust those switches, assuming they are installed. If they are installed and clean but still not registering we can help you troubleshoot that too, could be a broken wire or something more difficult.

It looks like that's it! My right EOS was activating closer to halfway through the travel instead of near the very end of the extended flipper. If a ball hit the flipper hard enough it would dislodge it slightly but not far enough to deactivate the switch yet. I adjusted the switch it a bit and it seems to be doing its job now.

Thanks!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
There are 3622 posts in this topic. You are on page 73 of 73.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside