IMG_2001 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240414_092939 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,380 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 208.
#3551 4 years ago

Wanted to share my work in progress on my new shuttle model. Just doing some final touch-up before I start casting my little garage kit.
I got a new series of decals to go with it.

thumbnail_IMG_20191008_173607 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_20191008_173607 (resized).jpg
#3552 4 years ago
Quoted from pinfarmer:

Wanted to share my work in progress on my new shuttle model. Just doing some final touch-up before I start casting my little garage kit.
I got a new series of decals to go with it.[quoted image]

Nice! How are you making those?

#3553 4 years ago

So here is my work in progress for my custom sounds (swear roms) on my Pinsound card. Once I am closer to the desired result I will make a better recording through the headphone jack.

There are still a few tweaks to make(already made some after this recording), as well as I am waiting for the next version of Pinsound Studio since it will allow prioritization of sound calls. Right now everything overlaps. So for example when Data talks and you press the flippers, capt Picard says F#@ you mr Data(or Thank you mr Data) but Data keeps talking.

The music is from 3 different sound packages made by others although I have adjusted some songs so the looping works.

I have a few modes that have alternate music and it’s random so difficult to record all possibilities. Same goes for Picard’s funny calls. Sometimes he says it without swearing, sometimes he swears. Keeps it fresh and not annoying

The Youtube link is “unlisted”. Please don’t publish it elsewhere. It’s just WIP.

* If swearing offends you then this is not for you! Move along! Obviously not kid friendly but my kids are adults now so all good *

BTW My favourite sound call is Picard saying FAN-F@#$NG-TASTIC around the 1:15 mark. lol

Cheers,

Mike

#3554 4 years ago

That's awesome! My favorite is at 4:10...

#3555 4 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

That's awesome! My favorite is at 4:10...

He says way better things but it didn’t happen this time... instead of saying “Q.. what are you doing here” he calmly says: “Q... Go f#@$ yourself.”
And sometimes after Q says “let’s play a little game”. Picard answers “Where would you like to put it now Q?”. That quote comes from the funny roms(lx7). The background music for that mode is sometimes the mariachi music from the “Deja Q” episode.

Lol

#3556 4 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

He says way better things but it didn’t happen this time... instead of saying “Q.. what are you doing here” he calmly says: “Q... Go f#@$ yourself.”
And sometimes after Q says “let’s play a little game”. Picard answers “Where would you like to put it now Q?”. That quote comes from the funny roms(lx7). The background music for that mode is sometimes the mariachi music from the “Deja Q” episode.
Lol

Are they all in the cast’ voices? I’ve heard those sessions were remarkably funny

#3557 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Are they all in the cast’ voices? I’ve heard those sessions were remarkably funny

The funny roms aren't really all that funny. It's mostly the actors goofing off (out of character). Patrick Stewart did say "Where do you want to put it now Q?". There's a setting in the adjustments for "Alternate Sound", which, when turned on, will give you some of those quotes once in a while. Switched it off after 2 weeks. The call outs gets annoying and unfortunately have nothing to do with game play. Most of the "funny" stuff is heard in attract mode when you press both flipper buttons. You get to cycle through 8-10 funny quotes. There are many game quotes and goofy quotes on the roms that were never programmed into the game and are never heard at all. Pinsound studio lets you see/hear all the ROM audio whether it's used in the game or not.

However, even with "Alternate Sound" switched off, there are differences with the regular roms. Capt Picard quotes often have "Patrick" added. So he'll say "Brilliant, Patrick" or "Fantastic, Patrick". I took those out with Pinsound. The nice addition with the special roms is that there are 4 different capt's log entries for end game and they reflect what you have accomplished in the game.

In addition to the generic one from the regular roms, there are log entries for Q, the Borg, and the final frontier. Of course I have made alternate versions of those as well with captain Picard swearing a little.

#3558 4 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

The funny roms aren't really all that funny. It's mostly the actors goofing off (out of character). Patrick Stewart did say "Where do you want to put it now Q?". There's a setting in the adjustments for "Alternate Sound", which, when turned on, will give you some of those quotes once in a while. Switched it off after 2 weeks. The call outs gets annoying and unfortunately have nothing to do with game play. Most of the "funny" stuff is heard in attract mode when you press both flipper buttons. You get to cycle through 8-10 funny quotes. There are many game quotes and goofy quotes on the roms that were never programmed into the game and are never heard at all. Pinsound studio lets you see/hear all the ROM audio whether it's used in the game or not.
However, even with "Alternate Sound" switched off, there are differences with the regular roms. Capt Picard quotes often have "Patrick" added. So he'll say "Brilliant, Patrick" or "Fantastic, Patrick". I took those out with Pinsound. The nice addition with the special roms is that there are 4 different capt's log entries for end game and they reflect what you have accomplished in the game.
In addition to the generic one from the regular roms, there are log entries for Q, the Borg, and the final frontier. Of course I have made alternate versions of those as well with captain Picard swearing a little.

Ha, I was wondering if the captains log entries were different. I swore I didn’t remember them on my original STTNG but my new one has the alternate roms.

The best line I have noticed is “We will never surrender... unless you pay us enough!”

#3559 4 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

The best line I have noticed is “We will never surrender... unless you pay us enough!”

Agreed... number one.

#3560 4 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Crap, obviously I need to get on this..

#3561 4 years ago

Occasionally when the drop target in my machine changes position it starts to click about another half dozen times. This doesn't seem to affect the gameplay at all, it seems to be operating correctly, just really checking to see if this is normal behaviour?

#3562 4 years ago
Quoted from mappy24:

Occasionally when the drop target in my machine changes position it starts to click about another half dozen times. This doesn't seem to affect the gameplay at all, it seems to be operating correctly, just really checking to see if this is normal behaviour?

That’s usually a flaky switch. Mines doing that too. Time for a rebuild.

#3563 4 years ago

Okay. This is driving me crazy. I currently have my STTNG up for sale or trade. Everything was working perfectly. DMD, gameplay, VUKs, audio. I slid it eight feet away on the leg levelers. There was a small amount of vibration due to the leg levelers on my concrete floor. Once in the new location I turned it on and the DMD says "slam tilt switch is stuck closed". I have read everything about this situation. So far haven't been able to track down the gremlin. Many times right now if I hit a flipper button or hit the coin door switches, it will reset the machine. Any thoughts out there after a similar situation or possible cure?

#3564 4 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

That’s usually a flaky switch. Mines doing that too. Time for a rebuild.

OK so not normal then, this is one thing you can't verify in Pinball Arcade

Tested the switch and it's fine. Tested the coils and noticed that the drop down was sluggish, I'm guessing the solenoid fires and if the switch isn't triggered fast enough it fires the solenoid another few times to make sure? So, I gave the mechanism a good clean and removed a whole load of gunk in between the plastic and metal. Put it back and initial tests are positive.

#3565 4 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Any thoughts out there after a similar situation or possible cure?

I would begin with reseating all connectors and ribbon-cables.
And make sure the slam tilt is moving freely, and not stuck with the vibrations.

#3566 4 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

I would begin with reseating all connectors and ribbon-cables.
And make sure the slam tilt is moving freely, and not stuck with the vibrations.

I have reseated all the connections, ribbon cables, and have confirmed the switches are not stuck closed. I have also switched out the coin door switches with known working ones, and that did not correct the issue. With the error showing on the DMD, I can activate a coin switch or press both flippers and the game most of the time will shut down and reset, with the same error showing upon startup. I have tested all the diodes on the board that the coin door connects to and they all test correct (not sure if this would cause this issue or not).

#3567 4 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

I have reseated all the connections, ribbon cables, and have confirmed the switches are not stuck closed. I have also switched out the coin door switches with known working ones, and that did not correct the issue. With the error showing on the DMD, I can activate a coin switch or press both flippers and the game most of the time will shut down and reset, with the same error showing upon startup. I have tested all the diodes on the board that the coin door connects to and they all test correct (not sure if this would cause this issue or not).

Have never encountered this issue but I'd check closely all the switches, coils and connectors near the edges on the bottom of the PF to make sure something didn't move just enough to short something out to the service rails or something else.

#3568 4 years ago

Problem #1 - *new item* the left cannon loads up a ball, you press the trigger, the audio effect for the cannon sounds off, but the ball isn't ejected... for another second and a half, by which time of course you've missed your target. Consistently intermittent, sometimes it'll actually behave as expected. Any suggestions where to start? This was the cannon that had the leads that had to resoldered.

Problem #2 - My Romulan flasher is also not working (again). Bulb isn't the problem. I'm thinking transistor on the 8 driver board? The tieback modification (resistor array) seems to have helped it for a bit but now nothing.

#3569 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeDanger:

Problem #1 - *new item* the left cannon loads up a ball, you press the trigger, the audio effect for the cannon sounds off, but the ball isn't ejected... for another second and a half, by which time of course you've missed your target. Consistently intermittent, sometimes it'll actually behave as expected. Any suggestions where to start? This was the cannon that had the leads that had to resoldered.

When you resoldered did you fully replace your cannon wire looms? The original Williams wires were not sufficiently up to the task of the strain created by the rotation and break down over time. I had intermittent problems that were solved by replacing them. https://www.pinball.co.uk/game-specific-parts/star-trek-tng/cannon-looms-for-star-trek-tng-h-17067/

#3570 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Crap, obviously I need to get on this..

Yeah, I was on the fence about putting Pinsound in STTNG but now it's a must.

#3571 4 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Yeah, I was on the fence about putting Pinsound in STTNG but now it's a must.

Hell yes.

#3572 4 years ago

I haven't generally been sold on Pinsound for most games, but I think ST:TNG is one I could be convinced otherwise on. I'll have to look into it.

#3573 4 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

I haven't generally been sold on Pinsound for most games, but I think ST:TNG is one I could be convinced otherwise on. I'll have to look into it.

INCREDIBLE PinSound mixes have been made for Getaway, CFTBL, TZ, DW, STTNG, LOTR... there's a bunch more.

#3574 4 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

As Rdoyle1978 mentioned, it depends on your games and the available mixes. Improved audio hardware was a selling point for me. It addressed audio noise with old hardware, added stereo, and allowed me to dial-in the balance between sub and front.
Addam's Family (and other early 90's) sound/effects are so heavily compressed that I really don't like the way they sound. So even an 'average' improved mix is an improvement. If you miss the 'old feel' of the game, you can switch between mixes and change the entire vibe of the game.

#3575 4 years ago

Do any step-by-step instructions (or similar) exist on putting everything back on the playfield? The back is layers and I’m sure I’ll miss something I won’t notice till done...

#3576 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeDanger:

Problem #2 - My Romulan flasher is also not working (again). Bulb isn't the problem. I'm thinking transistor on the 8 driver board? The tieback modification (resistor array) seems to have helped it for a bit but now nothing.

#1 was a detached soldered purple wire at the top of the coil. Thinking as it rotated the wire would touch eventually and trigger the coil to eject the ball. Fixed.

#2 was interesting, I decided to give the wires a firmness test, and that seems to have connected whatever was loose. Romulan Flasher is back in business. Funny enough, now I have spare TIP102s and the transistors if I ever do have an issue.

Thanks for the assists as always, this thread is amazing.

#3577 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyArcade:

Do any step-by-step instructions (or similar) exist on putting everything back on the playfield? The back is layers and I’m sure I’ll miss something I won’t notice till done...

Not sure if that exists John. When I pulled my topside apart, I laid the pieces on a table somewhat in the order and approximate location they came off. Cleaned up and waxed the playfield, then cleaned each piece individually before putting it back in place. Time consuming but somewhat of a method.

#3578 4 years ago

Best thing is to look very carefully at your disassembly pictures in reverse order when re-assembling it.

... and it still happens sometimes

I missed installing the two tee nuts for the Kickback mech and didn't realize it until after the entire bottom side of the playfield was complete and I was working on the top

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3579 4 years ago

My game has stopped loading the cannons during Battle Simulation mode. The mode starts, Ball is ejected from the left VUK. Shooting into a scoop does not load them either, Ball is again ejected from the left VUK. I assume it’s an opto, any ideas which one to check first?

#3580 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

My game has stopped loading the cannons during Battle Simulation mode. The mode starts, Ball is ejected from the left VUK. Shooting into a scoop does not load them either, Ball is again ejected from the left VUK. I assume it’s an opto, any ideas which one to check first?

Might not be optos. Make sure first that the subway diverter is working, and that all your cannon poppers are working.

Could just be a busted wire, that’s all it was last time I had this issue.

#3581 4 years ago

Is this game supposed to have a bubble level on it for Playfield angle? I just got one and it doesn’t have it. I don’t even see holes where one would have been. Just wondering because most other games from this era do. I’m sure I will be asking more questions as I get into it more. Thanks! Mìke

#3582 4 years ago

This translite is now available without the control panel in an updated version. With or without the crew. I added the exploding sun trying to incorporate the cabinet decals.

STTNG CREW 19 PST NC (resized).jpgSTTNG CREW 19 PST NC (resized).jpgSTTNG NC SHIPS PST (resized).jpgSTTNG NC SHIPS PST (resized).jpg
#3583 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

now available

Where? How much? The one without the crew is one of the better alternates I've seen.

#3584 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeSinMD:

s this game supposed to have a bubble level on it for Playfield angle?

nope.

#3585 4 years ago

Bought a lockdown bar for my sttng on eBay. Listing was for Williams Bally widebody and the packaging had on it Marco pn A-17996.

But it won’t slide in. The inside piece is glued off center whereas my old one is centered.

Is this for a different machine or perhaps made wrong? Is that glue normal?
It was listed as never used, guy bought for a project he never finished.

Or is the new bar correct and my lock down mech in the pin is off?

D341BCBC-D506-4B20-A253-332E64299FA6 (resized).jpegD341BCBC-D506-4B20-A253-332E64299FA6 (resized).jpeg
#3586 4 years ago

Mine broke years ago. Pretty sure it was the factory lock down bar. It was originally spot welded together. The spot welds broke on mine. I drilled a hole in the spot welds on the lower bracket, clamped it together and welded it together with an old AC stick welder. Doesn't look pretty but it works. You can see discoloration spots on the top side where the weld got hot but it doesn't bother me.

sttng 019 (resized).JPGsttng 019 (resized).JPGsttng 020 (resized).JPGsttng 020 (resized).JPG
#3587 4 years ago

The one you purchased was made wrong, the welded piece should be centered.

Unfortunately, its fairly common for these to break, I used JB Weld on mine and its holding so far. I made sure to get overlapping coverage on is so that it wraps around the locking part. Kind of like the one you purchased, only with a little more coverage area.

#3588 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

The one you purchased was made wrong, the welded piece should be centered.
Unfortunately, its fairly common for these to break, I used JB Weld on mine and its holding so far. I made sure to get overlapping coverage on is so that it wraps around the locking part. Kind of like the one you purchased, only with a little more coverage area.

Yeah, confirmed it was made wrong. eBay seller offered to refund, so sending it back to him and Marco will do the replacement directly with him.

It looks like the new one had no weld and it is all glue or epoxy of some sort to hold the two pieces together.

#3589 4 years ago

Yeah, confirmed it was made wrong. eBay seller offered to refund, so sending it back to him and Marco will do the replacement directly with him.
It looks like the new one had no weld and it is all glue or epoxy of some sort to hold the two pieces together.

I recommend this one: https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-widebody-stainless-steel-lockdown-bar.html as you can see in the description it is also not welded and they look really nice without the little marks on the top.

#3590 4 years ago

New owner here. What color are the borg windows originally? The ones on mine are blue and are taped in, and the previous owner has green LEDs installed in there. Just curious.

#3591 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeSinMD:

at color are the borg windows originally?

Mine were and are blue. I put blue LEDs behind them.

#3592 4 years ago

The left flasher on the romulan ship is green and I didn’t think the borg should be green too. I think I will switch the borg LEDs to blue

#3593 4 years ago

They were originally blue to go along with the color of the translite. But many changed them to the Borg green mod to go along more with the look of the show I think. Mine came with the green mod when I bought it. I changed mine back to blue when I bought a new borg ship since the original had a lot of warping due to the heat of the old bulbs. I kind of like the way the blue lights up the playfield more. But I can switch mine anytime I want now.

20171115_140928 (resized).jpg20171115_140928 (resized).jpg
#3594 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeSinMD:

The ones on mine are blue and are taped in

Sounds original to me.

#3595 4 years ago

Blue windows are original.
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Borg_type_03

The windows in that episode are blue.

#3596 4 years ago

Thanks everyone

#3597 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Blue windows are original.
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Borg_type_03
The windows in that episode are blue.

Blew my mind! I thought the ship was a modified design somehow from when the game was going to be that Steven Seagal movie. I had no idea this was an actual show-designed ship! How did I miss that episode?

#3598 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

...from when the game was going to be that Steven Seagal movie.

Wait, what?

#3599 4 years ago

Next thing: I’m getting the u6 sound board chksum error. The game will play fine sometimes, then the sound will just cut out during a ball. Then when the next ball starts the sound comes back on. I want to try a new e prom. Can anyone recommend a place to get one ? Or any other suggestions? Already tried reseating all the connectors. And there are a couple of new ribbon cables on it. Thanks

#3600 4 years ago

“Under Siege”. That’s why the game has those cannons apparently.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation_(pinball)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 15.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 63.95
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 85.00
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,380 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 208.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/72?hl=arcadedanger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.