Topic Stats

• 3,485 posts
  • 306 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by SeaLawyer
  • Topic is favorited by 186 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 936 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BC5CE26D-9BE4-4B75-84A7-C7AB94572C3B (resized).jpeg
B5E3D79A-D576-4234-BDA1-FB8B747C5189 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_2019-09-17 Dip Switch Settings xls - wpcdipsettings pdf (resized).png
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_17f (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
5D0C9855-42C0-4D69-9CAC-72A68253C7B0 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
80037948-0B22-4902-9DE2-D0044C91456C (resized).jpeg
CD1F93B4-09F3-4F16-A645-CD7253631824 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
Shuttle Samples (resized).jpg
20170217_180158 (resized).jpg
F9ED6DCB-1920-4FAC-AB72-AA81D697A580 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
0991EE7B-0312-4F90-84A7-04A1E187A5ED (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3485 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 70.
#3351 29 days ago

Replaced all of the .100” connectors tonight. I was going to do the .156” but the biggest Molex connector I have is 12 pin. Another night I suppose. The new connectors pass the wiggle test and a handful of games, of course. Hoping all of my work to this board kills any random mulitball problems, but we shall see!

3335C0AE-7A87-4832-8CE2-590193B76DE4 (resized).jpeg
#3352 28 days ago

82B47004-F04E-4498-A166-BF2B75519852 (resized).jpeg

One to beam up!

Nothing really fancy. Picked it up from a buddy. It was having some problems and turns out I needed to replace C2 and Q2 and rebuild the section under them cause the traces were toast... which is way beyond me so my buddy dsuperbee did it! Fixed a couple busted lamp boards and did a little cleaning and it’s playing good!

Glad to be back in the TNG owners club at last.

#3353 28 days ago
Quoted from Manny65:

How long do you put a board in for? And what's the best way removing all the water - like the flipper relay switch on a WPC Power Driver board?

2 minute was is generally enough time to clean a board; another 2 minutes to rinse, followed by blow dry with an air compressor. The relays pose a unique problem as you simply cannot get water in them, I would remove them before washing the board, you can still had wash the backside after soldering them in, but I wouldn't submerge it.

#3354 28 days ago

Clean dirty sections that you need to service with alcohol; otherwise, if it's ugly, dirty and ain't broke, don't fuck with it and play the damn game!

#3355 28 days ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Clean dirty sections that you need to service with alcohol; otherwise, if it's ugly, dirty and ain't broke, don't fuck with it and play the damn game!

I enjoy the board work. Have for years. So it’s a win-win. I get to have fun and the boards hopefully will live on a lot longer.

I’d love to learn a better way to repair bad traces, outside of using jumpers. Jumpers work, but it’s not the prettiest solution....

#3356 28 days ago

Is anyone else running the extra dialogue roms?

I notice when I turn the Special Dialog option on I get the “funny” calls at game start (Hello, Mr. Dorn.) and when you start multiball (We will never surrender... unless you pay us enough!) but even when I turn it off some seem to sneak through (Fantastic, Patrick!) as well as new end of game quotes I don’t remember like “Our experience in the Final Frontier was most remarkable.”

There also aren’t as many silly call outs as I expected, especially from Riker who I heard was quite the clown during the recording session for the game.

Anyways, does that sound like proper behavior for these sound roms?

#3357 28 days ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I’d love to learn a better way to repair bad traces, outside of using jumpers. Jumpers work, but it’s not the prettiest solution....

There are thru-hole and trace repair kits for this type of work, but they are very expensive.

#3358 28 days ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I take a little more pride in my work than that.

This is an photo transistor board I recently took in...
I wasn't even going to work on it on my repair bench being this dirty.

This is what it looked like when I shipped it out after replacing one of the LM339s...
You are just not going to get the board this clean with alcohol alone.

Repaired_Back (resized).JPG

#3359 28 days ago

And a CPU board I worked on:

#3360 28 days ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

And a CPU board I worked on:[quoted image]

Scrubbing bubbles?

#3361 28 days ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Scrubbing bubbles?

Yep.

#3362 27 days ago

A great place to buy fuses is Great Plains Electronics especially if you are building an inventory. 1/2 to 1/3 the price of other places and he carries the odd sizes that we need in pinball machines.

Great source for other parts too like capacitors (he has the big lamp matrix caps used on early SS and atari vids, plus the best price on the large filter caps for SS games), transistors, diodes, ICs, resistors, connectors, etc. A general great source for electronic pinball parts.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/categories.asp?cat=13

#3363 27 days ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

A great place to buy fuses is Great Plains Electronics especially if you are building an inventory. 1/2 to 1/3 the price of other places and he carries the odd sizes that we need in pinball machines.
Great source for other parts too like capacitors (he has the big lamp matrix caps used on early SS and atari vids, plus the best price on the large filter caps for SS games), transistors, diodes, ICs, resistors, connectors, etc. A general great source for electronic pinball parts.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/categories.asp?cat=13

Isn’t GPE effectively closed for the time being?

#3364 27 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Not that I know of. Was just there and the site will let me place an order. Ed does close down the site from time to time when he goes on vacation or gets too busy at his real job (he is a single person operation, I believe).

#3365 27 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You’re thinking of Great Lakes Modular.

I do that a lot too.

#3366 27 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

dude don’t scare me like that

#3367 27 days ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I take a little more pride in my work than that.
This is an photo transistor board I recently took in...
I wasn't even going to work on it on my repair bench being this dirty.
[quoted image]
This is what it looked like when I shipped it out after replacing one of the LM339s...
You are just not going to get the board this clean with alcohol alone.
[quoted image]

I take pride in less work more pinball.

#3368 26 days ago

I’ve noticed when I hit the delta ramp that 99.99% of the time the ball gets diverted back down the wire form ramp. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it get sent to the borg ship and launched out.

I recently played STTNG on location and found it relatively easy to get the ball into the borg ship.

Could there be an issue that causes the diverter to not allow any balls into the ship?

#3369 26 days ago
Quoted from Pinless:

I’ve noticed when I hit the delta ramp that 99.99% of the time the ball gets diverted back down the wire form ramp. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it get sent to the borg ship and launched out.
I recently played STTNG on location and found it relatively easy to get the ball into the borg ship.
Could there be an issue that causes the diverter to not allow any balls into the ship?

The ball is only supposed to go into the ship when lock is lit above the Delta ramp. Unless that light above the delta ramp is lit, the ball is supposed to be diverted back down the wire.

#3370 26 days ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

You’re thinking of Great Lakes Modular.
I do that a lot too.

Oh damn! My mistake

#3371 26 days ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

The ball is only supposed to go into the ship when lock is lit above the Delta ramp. Unless that light above the delta ramp is lit, the ball is supposed to be diverted back down the wire.

Yeah, the game is a little weird with lighting lock. The lock at the ramp will light after lighting lock the first time. Depending on how often balls have been locked, it may when you light lock the second time. The neutral zone lock will only light if lock has not been lit fit a few games, and sometimes the light will not illuminate.

#3372 26 days ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Yeah, the game is a little weird with lighting lock. The lock at the ramp will light after lighting lock the first time. Depending on how often balls have been locked, it may when you light lock the second time. The neutral zone lock will only light if lock has not been lit fit a few games, and sometimes the light will not illuminate.

yeah, still puzzled about that, havent got a lock lit on the borg ship for a very long time as well. I know the ROM is trying to acheive a certain ratio of multi ball per game by NOT lligthing the lock lit on the neutral zone and/or the borg ship, but this is really anoying. Any idea what should be the setting to maximize the lock lit on the borg ship that I always find rewarding? ( got the latest ROM )

#3373 26 days ago
Quoted from etien:

yeah, still puzzled about that, havent got a lock lit on the borg ship for a very long time as well. I know the ROM is trying to acheive a certain ratio of multi ball per game by NOT lligthing the lock lit on the neutral zone and/or the borg ship, but this is really anoying. Any idea what should be the setting to maximize the lock lit on the borg ship that I always find rewarding? ( got the latest ROM )

I'll have to do some more testing where I actually take notes because my memory is lousy but I believe that if you use the Skill Shot lock option you won't get the ramp lock lit at all during that effort to achieve MB no matter how many times you hit the drop target to light lock. I almost never use the Skill Shot Lock (I have mine set to only allow it once per game anyway) and get the ramp lit pretty consistently when knocking down the D.T.

#3374 26 days ago
Quoted from etien:

I think there has to be either a setting, ROM or a bad switch keeping the lock from lighting.

I’ve played my pin 50+ times and i can’t remember it ever locking.

I played a couple STTNG’s on location and had the lock lit on my first couple of quarters.

#3375 26 days ago
Quoted from Pinless:

I think there has to be either a setting, ROM or a bad switch keeping the lock from lighting.
I’ve played my pin 50+ times and i can’t remember it ever locking.
I played a couple STTNG’s on location and had the lock lit on my first couple of quarters.

Next Gen absolutely has some weird lock rules I never quite figured out. Like lighting the Delta (borg) lock, or the one at the Neutral Zone. I did that the other day and was like, whaaaa?

I thought it was maybe if you didn't take a lock at launch and then hit the lock shot... but then I hit it and apparently not as far as I can tell.

#3376 26 days ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

lighting the Delta (borg) lock

This is only lit when you get multiball on 50% or less of your recent games. It's referred to as "Skill Lock" in the settings if I remember correctly.

Neutral zone I believe works in a similar fashion although the "Lock Lit" insert that points to the Neutral Zone was only written into the attract mode show and never into the actual game code. You can still lock a ball that way though.

#3377 26 days ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

This is only lit when you get multiball on 50% or less of your recent games. It's referred to as "Skill Lock" in the settings if I remember correctly.
Neutral zone I believe works in a similar fashion although the "Lock Lit" insert that points to the Neutral Zone was only written into the attract mode show and never into the actual game code. You can still lock a ball that way though.

Skill Lock setting is actually used to control or disable how many times you can use the skill shot to lock a ball. I think the other NZ and Advance Rank locks are indeed used to help achieve whatever threshold is configured for MB% in the adjustments.

#3378 26 days ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Could be a delta ramp entry opto failure with the game on location that is not causing the ball diverter coil to not energize.

edit: nahhhh...you would know right away.

#3379 26 days ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Nope, there is a delta ramp entry opto failure with the game on location that is not causing the ball diverter coil to not energize.

If I were to take the glass off to test the lock, what sequence of switches must be hit?

#3380 26 days ago
Quoted from Pinless:

If I were to take the glass off to test the lock, what sequence of switches must be hit?

You made me play my game...

Game1:
On ball 1 with no balls locked, as soon as I hit the top drop target to light locks (not at ball launch) the Delta ramp was flashing...and locked ball 1 into the Borg Ship.

Game2:
Ball launch, hit Beta ramp for flipper skill shot, passed to left flipper, hit drop target to lock light and Delta ramp was flashing, hit delta ramp and locked ball 1 in Borg ship.

Game 3:
Ball launch, chose lite lock at ball launch to lock ball one. Hit upper drop target to light lock, Delta ramp was flashing, hit Delta ramp to lock ball 2 in Borg ship.

Seems like it should be pretty easy to lock after all ....

Quoted from Pinless:

I would say ... maybe. What game code are you running?

#3381 26 days ago

My game has apparently adopted a nasty random bug where it will decide to launch the ball when the right flipper is hit. I have flipper launch turned off and 99% of the time this doesn't happen but one of our league players told me it happened to him last month and it did it to me last night. I've stood and hit the right flipper with the ball sitting in the launcher dozens and dozens of time in testing and not been able to reproduce it. Everything else on the game works fine and I've never seen the left flipper cause this.

#3382 26 days ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

My game has apparently adopted a nasty random bug where it will decide to launch the ball when the right flipper is hit. I have flipper launch turned off and 99% of the time this doesn't happen but one of our league players told me it happened to him last month and it did it to me last night.

IIRC ... This will only happen on ball 2.

#3383 25 days ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

You made me play my game...
Game1:
On ball 1 with no balls locked, as soon as I hit the top drop target to light locks (not at ball launch) the Delta ramp was flashing...and locked ball 1 into the Borg Ship.
Game2:
Ball launch, hit Beta ramp for flipper skill shot, passed to left flipper, hit drop target to lock light and Delta ramp was flashing, hit delta ramp and locked ball 1 in Borg ship.
Game 3:
Ball launch, chose lite lock at ball launch to lock ball one. Hit upper drop target to light lock, Delta ramp was flashing, hit Delta ramp to lock ball 2 in Borg ship.
Seems like it should be pretty easy to lock after all ....

I would say ... maybe. What game code are you running?

I’m running LX7. Thanks for checking the sequence. I’ll compare it to my game once it’s back up and running this weekend.

#3384 25 days ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

IIRC ... This will only happen on ball 2.

Interesting, I'll test that and report back.

#3385 23 days ago

I finally figured out what was causing my F103,104 & 105 to blow on startup. It drove me crazy for a couple weeks. I probably went through $30 worth of fuses.

A failed transistor on the (brand new) auxiliary driver board was causing the blanking circuit to not operate when the pin was powered on.

I would have never thought there was anything on the aux board that could affect it, but it definitely does.

Thanks to Pin_Guy, Zaza and Chris Hibler for the countless messages trying to help me diagnose it. You guys are awesome.

#3386 23 days ago

I'll be putting my STTNG on the market shortly, $6500 CAD, watch for the post and photos soon.

#3387 23 days ago

Having an issue with the weapons system on my STTNG.

My left cannon moves and tests fine but it won’t fire when it’s in certain positions, notably the one where it needs to be to hit the mode start shot. I’m assuming an issue with the cannon loom... there’s a lot of tape going on there so it looks like someone has serviced it before. All the connections at either end of the loom look fine, so rather than dick around with it I figure I’ll just install the upgraded ones and call it good (if it fixes the issue!)

Can anyone point me towards someone who is selling good cannon looms? There’s a site called Pinball Heaven that appears to, are they legit?

#3388 23 days ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

My left cannon moves and tests fine but it won’t fire when it’s in certain positions, notably the one where it needs to be to hit the mode start shot. I’m assuming an issue with the cannon loom...

Not likely, this is probably going to be an issue with the MARK switch under the playfield.

#3389 23 days ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Its not, this is going to be an issue with the MARK switch under the playfield.

I will be super happy if that’s the case. How do I diagnose that? In test it seems to be 100% and the switch seems responsive.

#3390 23 days ago

Not necessarily, pin_guy. This sounds very much like an issue I had until I changed out my looms. There was just enough play in the old looms where they'd work/fire unless they were in certain positions straining the connection.

#3391 23 days ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Not necessarily, pin_guy. This sounds very much like an issue I had until I changed out my looms. There was just enough play in the old looms where they'd work/fire unless they were in certain positions straining the connection.

This is very true, I tend to take things mentioned in topics very literally. So when I hear cannon tests fine, I assume it to be true. It is possible that a broken wire for the firing coil can cause this.

Quoted from gunstarhero:

How do I diagnose that?

Manually move the cannon to a point it should fire...
if the mark switch reads closed in test, then its something else.
Measure your +50V on the cannon coil, if its there its likely something else
flick a ground wire across the return side of the coil, if it fires, it can be the cannon loom or some other issue.

#3392 23 days ago

The input is appreciated. I started in the exact same place PinGuy, had to be one/both of the switches, bad alignment, something... but they both seem too good to be bad and everything lines up as open where it should.

I know how it looks but this is not my first cruise on the Enterprise.

So any loom leads? Honestly I think I’ll just feel better with them replaced.

#3393 23 days ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

So any loom leads? Honestly I think I’ll just feel better with them replaced.

pretty much any of them will get the job done. I know there was a shortage a few months back and I built one for a friend that lives close by; I actually planned on making some and putting them on e-bay, but never got around to it :/

I suppose you can also ohm out all 8 wires going to the cannon to see if any are not making contact with the cannon is a position where you know it doesn't work.

#3394 23 days ago

Well as luck would have it, I actually accidentally ordered two sets when I got mine from Pinball Heaven (UK). I'd sell you the extra for a few bucks less than what it'd cost to order from them (and hey, you don't have to wait for international shipping!) $30ppd, pm me if interested.

#3395 22 days ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Well as luck would have it, I actually accidentally ordered two sets when I got mine from Pinball Heaven (UK). I'd sell you the extra for a few bucks less than what it'd cost to order from them (and hey, you don't have to wait for international shipping!) $30ppd, pm me if interested.

PM sent!

#3396 22 days ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

My game has apparently adopted a nasty random bug where it will decide to launch the ball when the right flipper is hit. I have flipper launch turned off and 99% of the time this doesn't happen but one of our league players told me it happened to him last month and it did it to me last night. I've stood and hit the right flipper with the ball sitting in the launcher dozens and dozens of time in testing and not been able to reproduce it. Everything else on the game works fine and I've never seen the left flipper cause this.

I had this issue but more frequently and mostly on ball one. If your cannons aren't registered as parked after the boot/reset test, that button launch can happen. My Canon shafts were randomly sticking and causing that issue. I simply stretched the springs and the shafts stopped sticking. Check your cannons while diagnosing.

#3397 21 days ago

Some days you get lucky. Was going to remove my ram today and install nvram. Pulled the cpu and the ram was already in a socket. As best I know they never did that from the factory, but whomever installed the socket did an excellent job, looks original. Popped in an nvram, removed the battery holder and replaced J210. Up and running again, wish all board work was that easy!

#3398 21 days ago

I swear my STTNG is cursed. I fix 2 things and then 2 other things start acting up. It’s non-stop.

The background music is cutting out randomly. Other sound effects are still working, but it’s oddly silent while you’re playing. A few seconds later the music comes back.

#3399 21 days ago
Quoted from Pinless:

I swear my STTNG is cursed. I fix 2 things and then 2 other things start acting up. It’s non-stop

Sounds typical for sttng

#3400 20 days ago

Can someone share a picture of what the wire connections for the drop target switch are supposed to look like?

Found a loose wire and a sketchy connection on mine and want to put it back like it’s supposed to be

B3B6F247-6D49-444E-B42F-675BA47C6BFE (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
There are 3485 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 70.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside