Topic Stats

• 3,325 posts
  • 300 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Pinless
  • Topic is favorited by 177 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 907 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

9AEC3880-46C3-4AF5-BC8F-5B8315346B0B (resized).jpeg
Shuttle attachment2 (resized).jpg
Shuttle attachment1 (resized).jpg
0751C6B4-C19E-4E16-9272-26C741120BA5 (resized).png
D042BEC9-1AC4-4EAA-9AA5-69C2C326D505 (resized).jpeg
472A4D6F-9BB6-4C7E-B8A5-B0B58F8C2282 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20190730_195628_GIF.gif
image (resized).jpg
C4BC9F0B-6FA6-48B4-9C87-C2E12426E063 (resized).png
52636AD2-0578-4FCD-8973-21A4575CD5BF (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3325 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 67.
#3301 6 days ago
Quoted from dashv:

Thanks for all the advice and insights folks. I decided to pass on the STNG because higher resolution photos showed more playfield wear than I am comfortable with for the price they are asking.

I'm sorry to hear that but you are probably making the right call as this particular machine is likely overpriced.

Quoted from dashv:

Their techs seemed quite sharp and knowledgeable. I floated a bid by the owner for a playfield swap but he would rather not go that route. Playfield swap and color DMD would have pushed the price to at least $9,500.

$2900 for a color DMD and a playfield swap is a lot of money, and seems a little high to me but may be about right ... the parts are $1300 thats a known amount, the labor is going to vary, but IMO its roughly double what it should be. for $1600 you are paying someone that knows exactly what they are doing $100/hr as this should be no more than a 2 day job; if they are unfamiliar with the machine, it may take them 4 days to do it so $50/hr.

In reality though, if you dropped of a machine with me and provided all the parts, I would charge you $1000 for the job since it would take up my whole weekend and I would have to work 12 days in a row ...

#3302 6 days ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I'm sorry to hear that but you are probably making the right call as this particular machine is likely overpriced.

$2900 for a color DMD and a playfield swap is a lot of money, and seems a little high to me but may be about right ... the parts are $1300 thats a known amount, the labor is going to vary, but IMO its roughly double what it should be. for $1600 you are paying someone that knows exactly what they are doing $100/hr as this should be no more than a 2 day job; if they are unfamiliar with the machine, it may take them 4 days to do it so $50/hr.
In reality though, if you dropped of a machine with me and provided all the parts, I would charge you $1000 for the job since it would take up my whole weekend and I would have to work 12 days in a row ...

Color DMD $400
https://shop.colordmd.com/colordmd-replacement-display-for-star-trek-the-next-generation-pinball-machine/

New Playfield $1,200
https://mircoplayfields.com/en/p/star-trek-tng-mirco-playfield

At least from these sources.

So they’d be doing the playfield swap with $900 towards labor for a job that they assumed to be 1 man week with normal hours (no overtime) to a level they would be comfortable warranting for 90 days.

And their support actually would include sending a local(ish) repair person to my house if we couldn’t handle it over the phone. I asked. If I was open to throwing $500 more towards labor they would have considered it. But that was a hard sell for me since I was feeling it was overpriced for the current condition.

I have no hard feelings about it. It was the right call for me to pass.

So who here wants to sell me theirs?

#3303 6 days ago
Quoted from dashv:

Color DMD $400
https://shop.colordmd.com/colordmd-replacement-display-for-star-trek-the-next-generation-pinball-machine/
New Playfield $1,200
https://mircoplayfields.com/en/p/star-trek-tng-mirco-playfield
At least from these sources.
So they’d be doing the playfield swap with $900 towards labor for a job that they assumed to be 1 man week with normal hours (no overtime) to a level they would be comfortable warranting for 90 days.
And their support actually would include sending a local(ish) repair person to my house if we couldn’t handle it over the phone. I asked. If I was open to throwing $500 more towards labor they would have considered it. But that was a hard sell for me since I was feeling it was overpriced for the current condition.
I have no hard feelings about it. It was the right call for me to pass.

This was a good call. $9500 for a used game, even one as good as STTNG - is just nuts. You can spend 2 months learning most of the basics you need to know, and save yourself $5,000. Buy a brand new game (try Oktoberfest!) for $7k and you won't have issues for a long long time. STTNG is packed, no question about that - but more recent JJP and AP games are just as feature-packed. No, they aren't Star Trek. But still.

#3304 6 days ago
Quoted from dashv:

For $9500 I'd be temped to sell you mine and would provide free lifetime support.

#3305 6 days ago
Quoted from dashv:

Thanks for all the advice and insights folks. I decided to pass on the STNG because higher resolution photos showed more playfield wear than I am comfortable with for the price they are asking.
Their techs seemed quite sharp and knowledgeable. I floated a bid by the owner for a playfield swap but he would rather not go that route. Playfield swap and color DMD would have pushed the price to at least $9,500.
Kinda bummed/exhausted from the exercise. I see several for sale here on pinside that seem to have nice playfields but I’d have to start over with asking about condition, service, etc.
I’m starting to think I just don’t have the chops to go into used pin purchases informed enough or skilled enough to avoid disasters and money pits of one form or another.
Maybe I should stick to new ones.

I think you just went the wrong route. From my experience, 9.5/10 collectors are beyond honest, and most are more than willing to help you after purchase if you need some specific help. I've only been semi-burned once, and I should have known better. Businesses are the worst to buy from as they must make a profit.

You have the benefit of having reviews and opinions on pinside sellers, so find a game in good condition from a reputable seller and buy it. It's really that easy. Buying local is pretty close to the same. Ask around. Get to know the collectors around you. Again, pinball people are almost all awesome and really enjoy the transaction process. Who else wants to listen to you in the flesh talk about your passion for a game with crazy sewers and opto controls? If you think it will just be 20 minutes to pick up a game, think again! Good times.

#3306 6 days ago
Quoted from dashv:

Kinda bummed/exhausted from the exercise. I see several for sale here on pinside that seem to have nice playfields but I’d have to start over with asking about condition, service, etc.
I’m starting to think I just don’t have the chops to go into used pin purchases informed enough or skilled enough to avoid disasters and money pits of one form or another.
Maybe I should stick to new ones.

Where do you live? Maybe there’d be some local pinhead willing to help. STTNG is a really great game, but you made the right choice. For that price you could have a NIB machine, and a high end one at that. Still though, my STTNG gets way more play than my WOZ. More than my TZ, although it’s always my first love. STTNG is one of the top games I’ve ever owned.

This is the second STTNG I’ve owned. The first one I painstakingly refurbished for my brother in-law and gave it to him as a present (when pinball was still affordable). He kept it for years, but then got mixed up with drugs. As best I know, he sold it and a Roadshow that I let him borrow. Never saw the machines again or him and my sister. I’m not bitter, as his machine gave me the opportunity to learn how awesome a machine it is. Still to this day it’s my wife’s favorite.

Don’t do heroin. Stick to the lesser evils, ha ha. Funny, kinda.

#3307 6 days ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Where do you live? Maybe there’d be some local pinhead willing to help. STTNG is a really great game, but you made the right choice. For that price you could have a NIB machine, and a high end one at that. Still though, my STTNG gets way more play than my WOZ. More than my TZ, although it’s always my first love. STTNG is one of the top games I’ve ever owned.
This is the second STTNG I’ve owned. The first one I painstakingly refurbished for my brother in-law and gave it to him as a present (when pinball was still affordable). He kept it for years, but then got mixed up with drugs. As best I know, he sold it and a Roadshow that I let him borrow. Never saw the machines again or him and my sister. I’m not bitter, as his machine gave me the opportunity to learn how awesome a machine it is. Still to this day it’s my wife’s favorite.
Don’t do heroin. Stick to the lesser evils, ha ha. Funny, kinda.

Whoah. That’s quite a burn. Mad respect that you can manage to not be bitter about it.

I’m in NC. I see one in the market place in SC. I might ask about it and maybe do a road trip.

I have zero local friends in the hobby and have only lived here for a couple of months so I’m not in or familiar with any of the groups or anything like that.

Been to a few local barcades, but not when the owners are around.

But I should do a new topic for that rather than hijack this thread anymore.

#3308 6 days ago

Well this thread is a bit of an open forum, unless someone complains, ha ha. If you were closer I’d offer up help, but I’m in KY. Still though, this group is always willing to help when we can. I’ve done so much work to my STTNG, I think I have all of the bugs worked out. Maybe.

Family. They were just that, so I let it go. Hard to watch people so close to you degrade. They were making well over $250k a year, business owners, one was a lawyer. The higher they rise, the harder they fall. Sad stuff. Heroin is no joke. Makes me scared for my own kids...

#3309 6 days ago
Quoted from dashv:

Whoah. That’s quite a burn. Mad respect that you can manage to not be bitter about it.
I’m in NC. I see one in the market place in SC. I might ask about it and maybe do a road trip.
I have zero local friends in the hobby and have only lived here for a couple of months so I’m not in or familiar with any of the groups or anything like that.
Been to a few local barcades, but not when the owners are around.
But I should do a new topic for that rather than hijack this thread anymore.

Check Facebook for a local sellers group. There are general groups on there that are good too. Spend less time stressing about quality and more time finding quality people. I've also learned to avoid nit picking pins. A little wear is always there... I've only turned down a couple buys. Most I just play a couple games, look it over and take it home. I always find a few minor issues, but I don't care.

#3310 6 days ago

$9500 is less than what HEP wanted for his base STTNG plus restoration services that he's working on right now. Now that might be worth it

#3311 5 days ago
Quoted from pzy:

$9500 is less than what HEP wanted for his base STTNG plus restoration services that he's working on right now. Now that might be worth it

Forgive my ignorance.

HEP?

#3312 5 days ago
Quoted from dashv:

Forgive my ignorance.
HEP?

He restores machines. Here’s a link to his thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/69#post-5023745

#3313 5 days ago

I’m on my 3rd outage of my trough transmitting board since last October. A new board was put in after the first outage. Does anyone have tips on how to bulletproof them a bit? Fortunately this time it’s LED 6 out so the game has been mostly playable as normal.

I just found a transmitter board online at this place, anyone know if their boards are more durable (Part #DCS-TT on the website)?

http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/

#3314 5 days ago

GLM has great products, though they were having fulfillment issues earlier this year so I'd check to make sure whatever you want is in stock first.

And yes, HEP is the top-end of pin restoration in my opinion. If I had the money, I'd have at least one!

Here's a STTNG he did: http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album435

#3315 5 days ago
Quoted from pzy:

Holy crap. That would literally buy you the most perfect machine in existence. And he wanted LESS.

#3316 5 days ago
Quoted from pzy:

And yes, HEP is the top-end of pin restoration in my opinion.

HEP is #1 in restoration services for sure ... but I still feel mine is done better

#3317 5 days ago

Did some sound board work tonight. I replaced the two large caps (C20 and C21), and because it was already out of the machine, I also replace C32 and C41.

Now for the fun part. I have an external sub hooked up to my machine but found the bass to still be a bit lacking. So, I removed R39 from the board and made a small rig to let me adjust the bass. I put a 4.7K resistor inline with a 10K potentiometer, in a small wire harness, covering all exposed stuff with heat shrink tubing. Even if the pot gets set to 0 ohms, there’s at least 4.7K inline in the circuit. Admittedly I’ll never set the pot to 0 ohms, but I do have more bass control now. Yeah, it’s a bit of a hack. But I never intend to sell this machine, so I don’t care. Things rattle in the room now when I play the machine. I’m loving it!

And everyone was right about the Hakko 808. I got my parts for it today and used it. OMG I didn’t know what I was missing. The smaller caps and resistor literally fell out of the board. The snap caps were a different story, of course...

9AEC3880-46C3-4AF5-BC8F-5B8315346B0B (resized).jpeg
#3318 5 days ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

HEP is #1 in restoration services for sure ... but I still feel mine is done better

Is there any pics posted of your finished machine pin_guy? I know there are many you have shared during your tear down and rebuild. Would love some Ideas/Inspiration from your machine

#3319 5 days ago

there are several posted throughout this forum...you can search out posts by me ... if there is anything specific you are looking for let me know.

#3320 4 days ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I’m on my 3rd outage of my trough transmitting board since last October. A new board was put in after the first outage. Does anyone have tips on how to bulletproof them a bit? Fortunately this time it’s LED 6 out so the game has been mostly playable as normal.
I just found a transmitter board online at this place, anyone know if their boards are more durable (Part #DCS-TT on the website)?
http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/

Those boards were great, I have a set in my Judge Dredd, but sadly I am pretty sure they’re out of business.

#3321 4 days ago

Has anyone 100% solved the random multi ball problem?

Mine spits out an extra ball on the playfield every 50 games or so. I got to thinking, maybe it’s because a ball rolled backward in the ball trough, past an opto, the reversed course and flagged the opto again.

Just wondering if the above is possible, or maybe there’s still something elusive wrong with my machine.

#3322 4 days ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Mine spits out an extra ball on the playfield every 50 games or so.

Remove all the balls, put your game in switch edge test and wiggle the opto boards wiring to see if one drops out.

#3323 3 days ago

I did solve my rando ball problem. As pin-guy suggested.
Mine turned out to be the IDC connector's "teeth" no longer gripping the power wires going to the LED board. I replaced it with a proper crimped on version and no more problems.

#3324 3 days ago
Quoted from Zitt:

That said; I looked at my stash. Have smaller 15, 32, and 512k eproms… but no 27c040's (4Mbit) which the schematics claim U5 is.

pinless … I ordered some 4Mbit eeproms from a China "pull" vendor … just so I had some on hand.
I'm assuming you're good... or you got a prom from PinGuy. If not; let me know.

#3325 1 day ago
Quoted from Zitt:

pinless … I ordered some 4Mbit eeproms from a China "pull" vendor … just so I had some on hand.
I'm assuming you're good... or you got a prom from PinGuy. If not; let me know.

I was able to locate one, thanks! It still didn’t resolve my “5 tones after the bong” issue though.

After I finally get all of the issues resolved with this pin the only part left untouched may be the coin door.

My new cabinet should be here in a couple weeks. Trying to figure out what I should do with the original cabinet that needs some repair work.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
There are 3325 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 67.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside