IMG_1999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240414_092939 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,372 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 208.
#2701 5 years ago

Would anyone be able to scan (or already have access to) a high quality flat image of this section of artwork on the right side of the cabinet? I’m trying to patch this big hole someone drilled in the cabinet... for some reason.

I figure since it’s a clean enough cut that I could print a patch decal.

Also, anyone have any idea WHY someone would cut a hole like this?! The pic shows the incomplete plug I’ve been making to fill the hole.

215AFA0F-C196-4A59-8DDE-3398546B1366 (resized).jpeg215AFA0F-C196-4A59-8DDE-3398546B1366 (resized).jpeg
#2702 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

This is under the Borg ship cover attached to the Borg assembly, more than likely you are seeing an error from not locking a ball in the Borg ship in X number of games, just drop a ball in the ship from the Delta Ramp entrance an it will likely clear.
[quoted image]

This is a common problem, I got mine from Marco, its not spot welded like the original, so it should hold up better.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16626

Thank you!!!! I was looking all over Marco's site, for some stupid reason I could not find it, thanks for the link.
As for the switch, how do you even get a ball in that thing up the ramp. Mine never has enough velocity to get all the way there and just drops down the wire ramp. I am wondering if my ramp is warped (no pun intended).

#2703 5 years ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

Thank you!!!! I was looking all over Marco's site, for some stupid reason I could not find it, thanks for the link.
As for the switch, how do you even get a ball in that thing up the ramp. Mine never has enough velocity to get all the way there and just drops down the wire ramp. I am wondering if my ramp is warped (no pun intended).

If your game can't make that shot and it's clean overall I'd suggest that a rebuild of the upper flipper may be in order. It is not an easy shot and hitting it clean enough to make the Borg lock when lit is even harder but it certainly should be makeable.

#2704 5 years ago

Mine never has enough velocity to get all the way there and just drops down the wire ramp. I am wondering if my ramp is warped (no pun intended).

This is the single most difficult shot to make in this game. This could be a lack of power from the flipper, but there is a ball diverter that actuates when the Borg lock isn't lit that can cause some issues; if this diverter doesn't retract properly due to gummed up grease, broken return spring, misalignment, etc... it will kill the balls momentum and you will never be able to make this shot.

#2705 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

This is the single most difficult shot to make in this game. This could be a lack of power from the flipper, but there is a ball diverter that actuates when the Borg lock isn't lit that can cause some issues; if this diverter doesn't retract properly due to gummed up grease, broken return spring, misalignment, etc... it will kill the balls momentum and you will never be able to make this shot.

I guess I'll just have to pay more attention, might just not be lit when I made it.
I got my first billion last night. Actually 1,875,000....got lucky on the Borg jackpot. Got quadruple jackpot. But still did not make the ramp up into the Borg ship ‍♀️

#2706 5 years ago

Looking for the main lamp board for STTNG as well as the complete subway assembly. Lets hope someone has these for sale!

#2707 5 years ago

Selling my custom lit 1701-D topper.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/74794
It is not flawless, but still pretty cool. Selling it because I am working on an upgraded version, and these things (Diamond Select Toys) are quite pricey if you can actually still get a hold of one (the updated version).
There are tons playmates out there, but they just don't have the same detail. [quoted image][quoted image]

Finally took some more images. Including the areas that got messed up, but you cannot see them when it is installed on the head.

20190223_162323 (resized).jpg20190223_162323 (resized).jpg20190223_161722 (resized).jpg20190223_161722 (resized).jpg20190223_161731 (resized).jpg20190223_161731 (resized).jpg20190223_161746 (resized).jpg20190223_161746 (resized).jpg20190223_161802 (resized).jpg20190223_161802 (resized).jpg20190223_161819 (resized).jpg20190223_161819 (resized).jpg20190223_162312 (resized).jpg20190223_162312 (resized).jpg20190210_181421 (resized).jpg20190210_181421 (resized).jpg
#2708 5 years ago

Hi, I picked up an STTNG last week and the right cannon suddenly stopped working, it could be moved freely by hand.

Looking under the playfield I can see that the right cannon has a different screw to the left one. Tightening this screw fixed the issue but does anyone know what part number screw should be in here?

IMG_20190224_210100 (resized).jpgIMG_20190224_210100 (resized).jpg
#2709 5 years ago
Quoted from mappy24:

does anyone know what part number screw should be in here?

Yes, after performing a "better than new" factory condition restoration of my machine and every assembly in it, I literally know every single part in the machine down to the most minute detail.

I can tell you at first glace the screws and self locking nut were never meant to be in this assembly...

EDIT: I linked the wrong parts information initially, I have a more detailed parts breakdown that lists every part that was used in every assembly, I'll try to dig it up but it could take me a bit to find it.

I believe the screw and washer are the same as used to connect the motor shaft to the plate, but without the proper reference material I can't guarantee it.
Screws: MS 8-32 x 3/8 PL-HH-S (4008-01168-06) https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4008-01168-06
Washers: FW .203 x.625 x .059 (4700-00023-00) https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4700-00023-00

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2710 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

EDIT: I linked the wrong parts information initially, I have a more detailed parts breakdown that lists every part that was used in every assembly, I'll try to dig it up but it could take me a bit to find it.

I'll wait for your expert knowledge, thanks in advance!

#2711 5 years ago

Ok, since this is the screw that mounts the upper cannon assembly to the lower bracket assembly, this part could be listed as part of either assembly...or neither and fell through the cracks. I don't want to leave you hanging so here are the complete parts listing for both assemblies (NOTE With the exception of the bracker, Right and left assemblies share the same parts list) only the Right side assemblies are listed here:
Gun Assembly:
Bracket Assembly

#2712 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Ok, since this is the screw that mounts the upper cannon assembly to the lower bracket assembly, this part could be listed as part of either assembly...or neither and fell through the cracks. I don't want to leave you hanging so here are the complete parts listing for both assemblies (NOTE With the exception of the bracker, Right and left assemblies share the same parts list so only the Right side is listed here:
Gun Assembly:
[quoted image]
Bracket Assembly
[quoted image]

Fantastic, thank you!

#2713 5 years ago

I honestly believe these are the parts you need, but I cant prove it.

Screws: MS 8-32 x 3/8 PL-HH-S (4008-01168-06) https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4008-01168-06
Washers: FW .203 x.625 x .059 (4700-00023-00) https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4700-00023-00

#2714 5 years ago

Who sells those extended outlanes for this game?

#2715 5 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Only Pinbits has these, but they are sold out ATM:
https://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=306

#2716 5 years ago

Thanks for that information- anyone have a used set they wish to part with?

#2717 5 years ago

I have a refurbished Pinball.Center set of stainless steel extended ball guides if you're interested.
Send me PM.

#2718 5 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

got mine from pinball centre a month ago

#2719 5 years ago
Quoted from trumpy:

got mine from pinball centre a month ago

I stand corrected. Pinball Center (I never heard of them before) does have them, and they are in stock

#2720 5 years ago

Greetings to all STTNG enthusiasts.

I present you my STTNG Xingothx's Edition, in progress which will be a unique model, since I myself realized all the parts and decals personalized, with stainless steel parts brushed effect.

If you want to know more, everything is described here (french forum):

http://www.neo-arcadia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=44484&start=2875#p1210822

http://www.neo-arcadia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=44484&start=2925#p1235340

LkzxRR (resized).jpgLkzxRR (resized).jpg

gBaxXQ (resized).jpggBaxXQ (resized).jpg

hHrlLT (resized).jpghHrlLT (resized).jpg

BtfYR0 (resized).jpgBtfYR0 (resized).jpg

W7Prju (resized).jpgW7Prju (resized).jpg

jRVali (resized).jpgjRVali (resized).jpg

ZuJbu6 (resized).jpgZuJbu6 (resized).jpg

wrZpo3 (resized).jpgwrZpo3 (resized).jpg

NVw8Gt (resized).jpgNVw8Gt (resized).jpg

hXePl4 (resized).jpghXePl4 (resized).jpg

m3ECF2 (resized).jpgm3ECF2 (resized).jpg

6JpRxx (resized).jpg6JpRxx (resized).jpg

it is not for sale, unique copy

All parts of my STTNG Wips' s link, are at the bottom of this thread:

http://www.neo-arcadia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=44484&start=2875#p1202921

#2721 5 years ago

Great work! I like it.
I am working on similar mods.
Speaker panel is finished. Next will be apron with integrated Display.

IMG_20190202_184507 (resized).jpgIMG_20190202_184507 (resized).jpg
#2722 5 years ago

great work to

#2723 5 years ago

Has anyone put an NVRAM in their game? Do you have to solder in a new socket/chip or does the RAM pull out?

#2724 5 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Has anyone put an NVRAM in their game? Do you have to solder in a new socket/chip or does the RAM pull out?

I have...
Original

Removed

Running Board with original RAM now socketed

On the original CPU the RAM was soldered in, if you have an aftermarket board it's likely socketed. Just toss in AA Lithium batteries in the holder and don't worry about it...if you cant help but worry...I will socket your board, install NVRAM, and give you a lifetime guarantee on this work for $50 +shipping. Keep in mind this conversion makes your RTC (Real Time Clock) function as an hour meter counting run hours from 01/01/70...it's up to you if this is a gain or loss in functionality.

#2725 5 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

IME they are rarely socketed. Between my and my friend's, I have installed NVRAM in probably 15 games. Not 1 was socketed.

WPC era MPU boards have tiny traces that are very close together which makes removing the RAM tricky without damaging traces around the pads of the RAM. I would not attempt socketing this board unless you have lots of experience.

If you want the clock to stay accurate or don't know someone that can socket your board, the lithium batteries are a great option.

#2726 5 years ago

The left outlane kickback feature doesn't always successfully return the ball into play (will just drain anyway) and other times it will work but it can take 2 or 3 kicks to successfully return the ball. Is this a timing issue or should I just replace the coil even though it seems strong in test mode?

#2727 5 years ago
Quoted from mappy24:

The left outlane kickback feature doesn't always successfully return the ball into play (will just drain anyway) and other times it will work but it can take 2 or 3 kicks to successfully return the ball. Is this a timing issue or should I just replace the coil even though it seems strong in test mode?

Bookmarked. It doesn't happen a lot on my machine, but if the ball exits at high speed my return will occasionally fire too late.

#2728 5 years ago
Quoted from mappy24:

take it out of the game clean it, replace the coil stop and sleeve then make sure everything is tight. when you put it back in the machine make sure it is properly aligned so the plunger doesnt hit the ball guide and you should be good to go. Coils rarely fail, and when they do, you can usually tell as the sleeve is melted or the coil winding is broken and it doesn't fire. If you want to verify the coil, its an AE-23-800 so should measure 4.1 ohms across the windings.

Exploded View:
1117 (resized).JPG1117 (resized).JPG

Assembled:
1118 (resized).JPG1118 (resized).JPG

Installed:

#2729 5 years ago
Quoted from mappy24:

In addition to what @pin_guy said, the timing of the kickback can be adjusted by tweaking when exactly the switch closes as it goes over the outlane switch. It is a tricky adjustment as you need to find the balance where it works for fast AND slow moving balls.

Slightly bend the switch wire up or down to make timing adjustments. Remember, the enemy of good is better.

#2730 5 years ago

Thanks, I'll check out all of the above!

The kickback issue has been demoted to priority 2 as I seem to now have an issue with opto switch 47 (under borg hole) becoming stuck open. I first noticed it during multiball when the machine was handing out multiple jackpots and then continuously starting modes afterwards.

In the single switch test, 47 was stuck open and obstructing the beam made no difference, I've wiggled wires on the opto boards, cleaned them and reflowed the solder and I thought I had fixed it, but it's started doing it again. I understand this is quite a common fault! Should I replace the optos in the subway next?

Added over 5 years ago:

Edit: It’s occurred to me that while I was wiggling wires on the little opto PCB’s and the backbox connector (that I thought was the right thing to do!) I forgot that there is a 16opto board somewhere that all these switches connect back to? I’ll check out the connectors on that board later in case there is a loose connection. Any other troubleshooting suggestions gratefully received though! Still getting familiar with this machine....

#2731 5 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Would anyone be able to scan (or already have access to) a high quality flat image of this section of artwork on the right side of the cabinet? I’m trying to patch this big hole someone drilled in the cabinet... for some reason.
I figure since it’s a clean enough cut that I could print a patch decal.
Also, anyone have any idea WHY someone would cut a hole like this?! The pic shows the incomplete plug I’ve been making to fill the hole.
[quoted image]

Anyone? Please? Even just a high quality pic? PM me please!

4efe35820687bc6715375233bafa5281b109f36c.jpeg (resized).jpg4efe35820687bc6715375233bafa5281b109f36c.jpeg (resized).jpg
#2732 5 years ago

The right side of my cabinet is up against the wall, but if no one else delivers within a few hours I'll pull it out and take a pic!

#2733 5 years ago

[quoted image]

This any good to you??

IMG_20190301_191647 (resized).jpgIMG_20190301_191647 (resized).jpg
#2734 5 years ago

Much appreciated! I'll give it a shot and report back.

#2735 5 years ago

Much appreciated! I'll give it a shot and report back.

I might be able to get access to a handheld scanner on Monday if you can wait, not sure how well it will work with all the black but can give it a go if you want?

#2736 5 years ago

I can pull out my HP 4670 scanner over the weekend to get you a decent scan.

#2737 5 years ago

Thanks BriPin and mappy24

That first pic has a little flare that's making it difficult to print and my photo editing skills just aren't high enough. A scan would be stellar.

#2738 5 years ago

play_pinball Here you go. You don't realize how bad your cab is until you scan it and zoom to 100% So it could use some touch up. PM me with your email address so I can send the full scan. I also scanned it in 600 DPI which may be overkill but I wanted to see my dings in even higher resolution

STTNG 300 DPI.jpgSTTNG 300 DPI.jpg
#2739 5 years ago
Quoted from BriPin:

play_pinball Here you go. You don't realize how bad your cab is until you scan it and zoom to 100% So it could use some touch up. PM me with your email address so I can send the full scan. I also scanned it in 600 DPI which may be overkill but I wanted to see my dings in even higher resolution [quoted image]

play_pinball is my brother. I don't think he saw this before he went to sleep so I PM'd you his email address.

#2740 5 years ago

Going to need some some pointers with opto #47 under borg hole.

It was working fine last night, so I tried wiggling the connectors on the 16opto board, I've also disconnected and reseated all the connectors but I couldn't find any problems there.

Prior to this, I've removed, cleaned and reflowed the solder on the little opto boards.

So I figured that all was well and had a few games.

Later last night, I went into the single switch test and noticed that #47 was stuck open again, blocking the opto with a piece of paper did nothing.

I wiggled lots of wires around the area but no joy....until suddenly the switch started working again for no apparent reason.

I'm thinking next time this happens, get a camera on the opto to check for signs of life? Or a multimeter to check voltages.

I thought I might try swapping the optos with another pair from the subway to see if the problem moves. Can these things go bad? Is it worth just replacing both the opto PCB's?

Thanks in advance for any tips or troubleshooting steps that I haven't thought of yet!

#2741 5 years ago

Shameless bump
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/74794
I am surprise there has been zero interest so far.

#2742 5 years ago
Quoted from mappy24:

Later last night, I went into the single switch test and noticed that #47 was stuck open again, blocking the opto with a piece of paper did nothing.

First thing you need to know when troubleshooting these is that they read closed when the beam is NOT blocked, so blocking a switch that's already reading blocked (open) will have no effect.

Quoted from mappy24:

I'm thinking next time this happens, get a camera on the opto to check for signs of life? Or a multimeter to check voltages.

This is the logical next step, with the intermittent nature, it sure seems like a wiring/connector issue; although it could also be a weak opto transmitter or dirty optics.

The following images should contain everything you need to isolate the problem.

Optics (resized).pngOptics (resized).png
Optical Emitter (resized).pngOptical Emitter (resized).png
Opto receiver (resized).pngOpto receiver (resized).png

#2743 5 years ago

Are these 2 plastics at the top of the ramps factory? When I hit the ramps, sometimes the ball doesn't make it up the ramps and the flippers seem to have enough power. The ball hits at the top of the plastic guards. I don't know if my flippers are set too high? Anything else that could cause this if these are factory?

IMG_4022_LI (resized).jpgIMG_4022_LI (resized).jpgIMG_4023_LI (resized).jpgIMG_4023_LI (resized).jpg
#2744 5 years ago

Yep factory..

#2745 5 years ago
Quoted from mappy24:

Going to need some some pointers with opto #47 under borg hole.
It was working fine last night, so I tried wiggling the connectors on the 16opto board, I've also disconnected and reseated all the connectors but I couldn't find any problems there.
Prior to this, I've removed, cleaned and reflowed the solder on the little opto boards.
So I figured that all was well and had a few games.
I wiggled lots of wires around the area but no joy....until suddenly the switch started working again for no apparent reason.
I thought I might try swapping the optos with another pair from the subway to see if the problem moves. Can these things go bad? Is it worth just replacing both the opto PCB's?
Thanks in advance for any tips or troubleshooting steps that I haven't thought of yet!

When I first picked up my STTNG several years ago I chased similar problems with the 16 opto board. Turned out to be J5, specifically the connections to the switch matrix. Power and other pins worked fine but the switch matrix connections would flake out every few days. You could try replacing the header pins on the board and install a new connector using a new housing and crimp on pins.

I used a very light layer of dielectric grease (silicone grease) on the header pins of the connector. Put a thin layer of grease on a Qtip, and wipe it on the headers pins. You shouldn't see any grease on the pins. This prevents oxidation of the contact points of the connector. I have not touched this board ever since.

#2746 5 years ago

Thanks for the info guys, typically the switch hasn't failed again since but I'll be armed with good information for when it does!

#2747 5 years ago

I'd check to make sure your ramp isn't set to low causing the ramp flap to become a "ramp" which causes the ball to "jump" off the ramp and hit the underside of those plastics.

#2748 5 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Are these 2 plastics at the top of the ramps factory? When I hit the ramps, sometimes the ball doesn't make it up the ramps and the flippers seem to have enough power. The ball hits at the top of the plastic guards. I don't know if my flippers are set too high? Anything else that could cause this if these are factory?
[quoted image][quoted image]

I had the same issue specifically on the shuttle ramp; on mine I know there's a spacer (maybe 1/4") between the ramp and the clear plastic at the top of the ramp. Not sure if the spacer is factory or not.

#2749 5 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

[quoted image][quoted image]

I put small nylon spacers to raise the clear plastic up slightly to keep the ball from impacting the plastic as the ball goes up the ramp. Seems to work well.

20170217_180158 (resized).jpg20170217_180158 (resized).jpg20170303_114012 (resized).jpg20170303_114012 (resized).jpg
#2750 5 years ago

I had my STTNG at the Louisville Arcade Expo this weekend. It was set to 3 ball settings, return to duty was default setting (on), Lock Skill shot set to three and the left kick-back was set to easy. I reset the high scores before the show started and I'm shocked at how low all the scores are, it seems no one could get over a billion points. When I saw this Saturday I thought something must be wrong so I played a quick game, not really trying my hardest and easily put about 1.3B on it. I don't know if it was just a case of most players not being really good at pinball, the good players not playing that game or just not familiar with it or a combination of those factors. With these settings you are guaranteed to get to Borg MB if you want, though your jackpots may not be very high if you don't do anything in modes before that. I'd prefer to make it a little more accessible for players at these shows but I refuse to put outlane extenders on it, other than setting the left kick-back to always on (kinda lame) and a longer ball-save timer are there any suggestions for making is easier but not too easy?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.99
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 63.95
$ 15.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 85.00
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 10,372 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 208.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/55?hl=jesperpark and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.