20240318_234508 (resized).jpg
pinsound (resized).PNG
20240317_235736 (resized).jpg
20240318_001720 (resized).jpg
sttng-card-1 (resized).png
sttng-card-2 (resized).png
star_trek_the_next_generation-1993-f-3 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,264 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 206.
#2151 6 years ago

Anyone have a set of backbox head decals they'd be willing to part with? Don't need the main cab, just the backbox but none of the usual suspects I've checked has them anymore.

#2152 6 years ago

I can't stop playing this pin, and I've had one before years ago. Its just so perfect from start to finish.
I usually try and pound out as many modes as possible and complete them all for artifacts..soo hard to get them all, haven't yet. I've had 3 billion and 250 million per shot though, and today just cranked a FF worth 8 billion plus. High score is 22 billion, with 20 modes (balls end bonus)

Even with all that, I love the change of pace with the mini modes at the left hole ( name of that hole is escaping me currently... Lol) that is, when I can pull away from the normal modes...
always discovering little details, a Steve Ritchie masterpiece game, I have zero plans to part with mine.

Anyways, just had to share.
I had asked a question earlier in this thread "can this be a reliable pin?" because of trouble I had with a previous one and stories from others, and let me tell you, mine has been trouble free/rock solid since I gave it a quick once over, and it is played a lot.
Only things I had to do when I brought it home were solder a resistor on the trough opto board, adjust a few switches, unfreeze a stuck diverter (old grease) clean the rear drop target, widen a vuk wall and its been awesome.

"We will never surrender! "

#2153 6 years ago

ALSO- wanted to ask if anyone knew, what builds the jackpot value? Some games I've had a super only be 60 million, another time it was 309 million!

And during rescue mode, when you hit the start mode hole, it says "energize " ten million everytime, but what are the center ramp and right ramp for then? I see these numbers going up a down for crew members?

#2154 6 years ago

Has anyone tried putting the cannon gear box in an ultrasonic cleaner without taking it apart first?

#2155 6 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

And during rescue mode, when you hit the start mode hole, it says "energize " ten million everytime, but what are the center ramp and right ramp for then? I see these numbers going up a down for crew members?

Switch hits during Rescue add crew members to the shuttles (which is why slamming the spinner usually rewards an artifact), hitting Alpha and Beta ramps launch the shuttles the crew are in (thereby rescuing them). The Center shot beams crew members up five at a time. If you hit enough switches and the two ramps you can save all crew members which by then usually awards your second artifact for the mode.

#2156 6 years ago
Quoted from jathomp22:

Has anyone tried putting the cannon gear box in an ultrasonic cleaner without taking it apart first?

The gearbox is supposed to be sealed ... no liquid or or out.

#2157 6 years ago

ALSO- wanted to ask if anyone knew, what builds the jackpot value? Some games I've had a super only be 60 million, another time it was 309 million!

I think the spinner ups the jackpot, no?

I've had this for well over a year; and still discovering gameplay elements about it...It is truly a masterpiece pin; I like it more and more every time I play on it.

#2158 6 years ago

I’m not 100% on this, but I believe it’s from advancing rank. Because I know increasing rank increases score edit: scoring

#2159 6 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

I think the spinner ups the jackpot, no?
I've had this for well over a year; and still discovering gameplay elements about it...It is truly a masterpiece pin; I like it more and more every time I play on it.

Spinner repairs the shields, I don't think it affects jackpot but I could be wrong on that.

#2160 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Switch hits during Rescue add crew members to the shuttles (which is why slamming the spinner usually rewards an artifact), hitting Alpha and Beta ramps launch the shuttles the crew are in (thereby rescuing them). The Center shot beams crew members up five at a time. If you hit enough switches and the two ramps you can save all crew members which by then usually awards your second artifact for the mode.

Wait, there are 2 shuttles? I knew about loading the shuttle versus transporting people out, but I assumed either ramp launched THE shuttle that had as many people in it as you loaded up. If there are 2 shuttles, are their people counts separate and if so, what builds one versus the other?

#2161 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Wait, there are 2 shuttles? I knew about loading the shuttle versus transporting people out, but I assumed either ramp launched THE shuttle that had as many people in it as you loaded up. If there are 2 shuttles, are their people counts separate and if so, what builds one versus the other?

There aren't any "fixed" number of shuttles as hitting either Alpha or Beta ramp launches a shuttle with as many crew as you had loaded on it. Once you load 45 crew via switch hits (again, the spinner is the best way to do this) and hit either ramp you'll rescue all personnel, collect the second artifact and end the mode.

#2162 6 years ago

Guys, the POP BUMPERS raise the jackpot value. And they do it at any point during the game. It increases over time with no limit. On a long enough game, Borg jackpots outpace Final Frontier.

Also, making the three cannon shots at the beginning of Borg multiball increase the jackpot by about 15 million a shot. They are HUGE.

1 week later
#2163 6 years ago

Hey there,

Just about to replace the switch on my spinner.

I was just curious if someone could check their machine and verify if there should be a diode on that switch. No need to open the hood. It is easy to see from above the playfield.

Thanks.

#2164 6 years ago
Quoted from Hoser:

Hey there,
Just about to replace the switch on my spinner.
I was just curious if someone could check their machine and verify if there should be a diode on that switch. No need to open the hood. It is easy to see from above the playfield.
Thanks.

No diode on mine, no problems.

15202693873901142645417 (resized).jpg15202693873901142645417 (resized).jpg

#2165 6 years ago

Thanks,

Then I'll just replace the switch and report back!

#2166 6 years ago
Quoted from Hoser:

Thanks,
Then I'll just replace the switch and report back!

The spinner switch on STTNG runs thru the Fliptronics flipper board. You may want to read thru this thread too, might be helpful: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-spinner-not-working-eos-errors

#2167 6 years ago

Yeah, replacing the switch did not fix it. And I did notice the "Right EOS" Error message when you boot up.

Quoted from Timerider:

The spinner switch on STTNG runs thru the Fliptronics flipper board. You may want to read thru this thread too, might be helpful: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-spinner-not-working-eos-errors

Wow, thanks for the link. This will certainly save me a ton of time. I hadn't gotten to the schematics yet, but now I know where to look.

#2168 6 years ago

I just like posting pictures...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2169 6 years ago

Joined the club. Unfortunately she is still packed as I am waiting for the basement remodel to finish. Painful.

#2170 6 years ago
Quoted from Hoser:

I hadn't gotten to the schematics yet, but now I know where to look.

#2171 6 years ago

Any one have a used Delta Quadrant Plastic Ramp that they want to sell?

#2172 6 years ago

Lost my drop target. Anyone know the fuse associated with it? All the other coils seem to be working... I don’t see it on the list

#2173 6 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Lost my drop target. Anyone know the fuse associated with it? All the other coils seem to be working... I don’t see it on the list

The drop (up and down) and the 2 subway diverters all get their power from J107-1. F103 is the fuse that you'd look at.

#2174 6 years ago

Been tracking down a reset issue and replacing connectors specifically, z connector..J114 seemed very loose so I just replaced it and since is when these problems. Edit::Diverters all work it’s just the drop target... everything’s got power board sends signal to coil but coil don’t fire.. gonna try ribbon cable as I may have whacked it seating wires

#2175 6 years ago

K. So it wasn’t ribbon cables. Everything else appears working normal. All the connections are solid. Everything else works except the drop target, and it appears the board is sending the signal to the drop target but the drop target isn’t responding. Target has power.... what am I missing? Again, it worked before I replaced the connector at j114. Would Simone please take a picture of thier j114 so I can make sure I didn’t put a wire in the wrong spot because other than that I got nothing

#2176 6 years ago

I’m wondering if I flip flopped the grounds. The upper one loops back to the aux board... is it supposed to be the lower?

#2177 6 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Everything else works except the drop target, and it appears the board is sending the signal to the drop target but the drop target isn’t responding.

I still dont know whats wrong with the drop target...Does it not drop, or does it not raise? The drop target has two separate coils and two separate drivers for these coils but you haven't provided enough information about the problem for anyone to respond to. Please provide more detailed information about the issue you are experiencing and you will surely get better responses.

Attached it the wiring information for connector J114 you were requesting, hopefully this will aid you in solving this issue.

#2178 6 years ago

It dosent go up, or try to go down. I thought I head/ saw it try and go down when I initially booted so when I realized it was no longer working checked the fuse.. and then checked all the connections, put in test and verified it was sending the pulses, checked power at the drop coil and the little solonoid coil... then I replaced the ribbon cable from the cpu to aux board... and now I’m just stumped

#2179 6 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

I replaced the ribbon cable from the cpu to aux board

So I suggested the ribbon because other things on the 8 driver board work such as the diverters and flasher. The drop target up/down are the only things on the 8 driver board that aren't working. Stumped too!

#2180 6 years ago

Got it! Thanks for the help pin_guy! I had the 12v’s swapped. Doh!

#2181 6 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Got it! Thanks for the help pin_guy! I had the 12v’s swapped. Doh!

That'll do it every time

Glad you got it fixed; this game was made to be played!

#2182 6 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

I lost my drop target recently too. Thankfully, all it was was a wire that got disconnected. Soldered back on and good to go!
Now I just need to get the balls to stay on the track to the cannons. They keep firing out to strong or something.

#2183 6 years ago

Shopped a nice STTNG for a friend...He's had it a few months and its playing great. Somehow the beta ramp now has a crack across the bottom of the ramp just above the ramp flap and it now has a lip where the crack is...If we need to buy a new ramp I will but wanted to see if anyone has a very nice used on that they would have for sale..If so shoot me a pic and price. Thx

#2184 6 years ago

When your used search fails; Starship Fantasy has them... or did at TPF'18.

#2185 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

When your used search fails; Starship Fantasy has them... or did at TPF'18.

I found new ones. Just seeing if any used pop up first thx

#2186 6 years ago

Oh please help!

My game was playing great, having the ball of my life, over 6 billion on ball 3! Have it set to 5 ball. Then during the final frontier, I lost the balls, the flippers, and then the game just started sending the balls out to the plunger and stacking up the balls. I turned the game off, and took the balls out, turn the game on, the game shows no errors. Try to start a game, even without balls, game has no idea there isn't anything wrong. Normally the game at powerup, the L/h Turret moves full sweep, now it does nothing. In test mode, I can't get them to move either. Says switches are closed. But hitting the enter button, the plunger goes, but hitting up or down and nothing happens. Plus can't even choose a mode during game start up with the flippers. But they test ok in coil test. But don't work during a game. Not seeing any help with the manual. Connector somewhere? Cannon motors both decided to fry and took out something?

#2187 6 years ago

Check fuses.
Sounds like the fuse which supplies opto power gave up.
Measure them as good out of the circuit - with a DVM.

#2188 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Check fuses.

Are these on the main boards in the back box or on under the play field?

#2189 6 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Are these on the main boards in the back box or on under the play field?

They’re in the back box.

#2190 6 years ago

I have a new unused ramp set with decals available if anyone needs them.
$200 U.S. or $250 cdn.

IMG_20180325_121653125 (resized).jpgIMG_20180325_121653125 (resized).jpgIMG_20180325_121602841 (resized).jpgIMG_20180325_121602841 (resized).jpgIMG_20180325_121544710 (resized).jpgIMG_20180325_121544710 (resized).jpgIMG_20180325_121514232 (resized).jpgIMG_20180325_121514232 (resized).jpg

Added over 6 years ago: Ramps sold.

#2191 6 years ago

Nice ramps, really like to find a nice used Delta ramp.

#2192 6 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I have a new unused ramp set with decals available if anyone needs them.
$200 U.S. or $250 cdn.

I could use the beta ramp....

#2193 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

They’re in the back box.

well after checking all the fuses in the backbox, first, all looked perfect, but F116, a slow blow 3A on the power driver board read an open. Can't seem to find in the manual what this powers but obviously a problem. I think I'm gonna order a new motor/gearbox and wire harness for my cannons, just to be on the safe side since maybe they were a problem, since I can't test them now and were never as fast as I saw on youtube, pretty slow actually, but slow enough to aim your shot, but i still don't know what this fuse powers/ is for. Yay marco for having these parts in stock!.

#2194 6 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

well after checking all the fuses in the backbox, first, all looked perfect, but F116, a slow blow 3A on the power driver board read an open. Can't seem to find in the manual what this powers but obviously a problem. I think I'm gonna order a new motor/gearbox and wire harness for my cannons, just to be on the safe side since maybe they were a problem, since I can't test them now and were never as fast as I saw on youtube, pretty slow actually, but slow enough to aim your shot, but i still don't know what this fuse powers/ is for. Yay marco for having these parts in stock!.

It's unlikely it's your harness wires, though you can visually inspect them to be sure. I'd check voltages on your test points, TP1 to be specific. Likely your unregulated 12v is low. Test/replace the bridge rectifier BR5 and cap C30. How do I know? Same thing happened to me after installing colordmd because it was loading up the 12v unreg and slow cannons/blowing F116 is true tell sign you have low voltage due to a bad bridge rectifier. $3 in parts to fix this if you can do board soldering work, save your money I bet your canon motors and all that are fine.

#2195 6 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

It's unlikely it's your harness wires,

Did another look over the wires, nothing obvious as far as a defect, had a spare 3A slow blow fuse and presto, game is back to normal! Yay. I guess you are right with the caps, etc maybe needing changing. May take the board in for a swap of all caps and bridge rectifiers, no idea how old they are, maybe original. But at least now the game works just fine. Wild how one little 3amp fuse can screw up so much stuff! I'll check on that test point 1 and see what voltage is there as well, just to be sure.

#2196 6 years ago

Getting 11.56 volts DC at test point one with positive lead on test point and negative on ground strap in the back box with the game is attract mode. Is this OK? Or should it be a minimum of 12 volts DC meaning my caps aren't great.

#2197 6 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Getting 11.56 volts DC at test point one with positive lead on test point and negative on ground strap in the back box with the game is attract mode. Is this OK? Or should it be a minimum of 12 volts DC meaning my caps aren't great.

Yeah, that's pretty low. I would suggest replacing the bridge and cap as mavantix suggested.

#2198 6 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Getting 11.56 volts DC at test point one with positive lead on test point and negative on ground strap in the back box

11.56 is very low for the unregulated 12V.

Warning: Replacing PBD capacitors is not a simple repair; many folks that have attempted this ended up damaging their boards by braking traces and pulling out thru-holes.

#2199 6 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

I also had a problem with my 12 volt unregulated being low which only showed up after installing the ColorDMD but I had noticed problems before that. The 12 volt unregulated powers the optos and the cannon motors which will affect the flippers as well as slow down the cannons. Here is a video I made showing the process of testing the voltages and replacing the Bridge Rectifiers and Filter Capacitors on the Power Driver Board.

#2200 6 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Did another look over the wires, nothing obvious as far as a defect, had a spare 3A slow blow fuse and presto, game is back to normal! Yay. I guess you are right with the caps, etc maybe needing changing. May take the board in for a swap of all caps and bridge rectifiers, no idea how old they are, maybe original. But at least now the game works just fine. Wild how one little 3amp fuse can screw up so much stuff! I'll check on that test point 1 and see what voltage is there as well, just to be sure.

Mine experienced the exact symptoms you have described, and it blew the replacement fuse within a week or so. After replacing BR5 it's been solid, cannons are faster/normal again. You can test the bridge rectifier with a DMM, and you'll probably find a diode in BR5 is bad.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 64.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
$ 63.95
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 15.00
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 9.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
There are 10,264 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 206.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/44?hl=kevindrives and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.