IMG_2001 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240414_092939 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,383 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 208.
#2101 6 years ago

Anyone know the best place to get the cannon long crank arm? My left cannon has a heavily taped, glued, and epoxy reconstructed shell of a left crank arm. Someone clearly tried really hard to not source that part and I didn't mind too much when that side was operational. Unfortunately, now that side has begun to slow down intermittently, and I want to replace this hack job before anything else.

If it's BAA, I guess I'll order replacement slings too..

Thanks.

#2103 6 years ago

I know, wow eh?

Kinda breaks your heart to see a STTNG like that...

#2104 6 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Could anyone snap pictures of their left cannon home switch wiring under the playfield?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-left-launcher-alignment-calibration

#2105 6 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Anyone know the best place to get the cannon long crank arm? My left cannon has a heavily taped, glued, and epoxy reconstructed shell of a left crank arm. Someone clearly tried really hard to not source that part and I didn't mind too much when that side was operational. Unfortunately, now that side has begun to slow down intermittently, and I want to replace this hack job before anything else.
If it's BAA, I guess I'll order replacement slings too..
Thanks.

BAA is where I picked mine up several months ago. I couldn't find them anywhere else. Not that BAA is a bad place or order through, just not one of my regulars.

EDIT: looks like Marco has them back in stock if you like them better: http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=03-8620

I would get the short one too and replace both while you are at it: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8619

The short one is a little harder to replace due to the pressed in pin but that is what broke on mine.

#2106 6 years ago

Hey guys just out of curiosity is the pinside average price on this title pretty accurate? I have been offered one in a trade that is super nice but I see these thinga listed in a high range of price. I’m just looking for an average price on a way above average condition machine.

#2107 6 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Hey guys just out of curiosity is the pinside average price on this title pretty accurate? I have been offered one in a trade that is super nice but I see these thinga listed in a high range of price. I’m just looking for an average price on a way above average condition machine.

Pinside is saying average $4300
Range $3980 to $4620

The problem is, what do you consider WAY ABOVE AVERAGE condition? How many other STTNGs have you compared it to?

I would say $4000 to $5000 based on current prices. If it is truly way above average, you are at the top of this range.

#2108 6 years ago

Perfect! This confused me until I realized something is not quite right on my machine...

I believe my left cannon assembly is upsidedown!!! Can someone confirm?

image.jpegimage.jpeg

I think the playfield support rails are also in the wrong spot and maybe backwards.

#2109 6 years ago
Quoted from radium:

I believe my left cannon assembly is upsidedown!!! Can someone confirm?

It does look a little odd...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2110 6 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Mine bounces off the metal backstop somehow and does not fall in the hole most of the time. Really annoying and I'm having a tough time telling why it's bouncing off.

Check to ensure you top drop target assembly is secure and tight.
At TPF in a recent year; mine wouldn't autolaunch into the top hole because the assembly wasn't secure and the top drop surface wasn't high enough in the PF hole. The result is that the ball lost all of it momentum trying to get out of the drop hole that it wouldn't reach the rear hole behind the drop.

#2111 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Check to ensure you top drop target assembly is secure and tight.
At TPF in a recent year; mine wouldn't autolaunch into the top hole because the assembly wasn't secure and the top drop surface wasn't high enough in the PF hole. The result is that the ball lost all of it momentum trying to get out of the drop hole that it wouldn't reach the rear hole behind the drop.

That was it! There is a bolt to adjust the target height, and after I raised it 1/4" it makes the shot every time. It was too low and the ball would jump up out of the hole and hit the backstop and bounce off.

Thanks, I would have not thought to try adjusting that.

#2112 6 years ago

If that fixed it great; BUT, please make sure the screws which mount the assembly to the underside of the PF are tight.
If they are; you fixed it.
If not; you'll need to tighten the assembly to the PF and then re-adjust the drop target.
On my machine; that drop assembly has been removed so often that the wood had begun to strip.

#2113 6 years ago

Picked this up on Saturday night. Guess it had been stored in warehouse for nearly 20 years. Every time I pick up a game, people make conversation about my half pool cue that I use to roll the pin in with ease. Hey, it works amazingly well, and sometimes I use two.

To my surprise, it plays great. Gave it a quick check through, boards are clean and no hacks or bad connectors, so that's always a plus. I've put a lot of games on it after the following were addressed, despite it needing new bulbs and rubber.

Trough opto 6 wasn't registering. Changed the optos out, still nothing, but it would receive a signal, by flashing one of the opposite end optos that were good. Reflowed solder on the resistor, all good now.

As Pin_Guy mentioned, the Borg diverter was almost frozen stuck. Trying to free it up by hand and lubricant just wasn't enough, so I ended up taking the whole mech out and apart, cleaned, adjusted, working freely and perfectly now.

I had an interesting issue with the left upper VUK. About 1-10 balls would get stuck somehow, and then a double ball search would seem to free it. I thought this was strange, because it wouldn't make multiple attempts to kick it, I was wondering why the optos didn't seem to sense it fall back in and retry? I was surprised to find the ball getting stuck between the walls of the VUK (pictured below) two flat head screw driver and a little pry, ball kicks freely now.

So, good start to ownership, looking forward to giving it a good once over with some fresh parts soon. Still need to clean up the subway and drop target, but several dozen games in, no issues, 100%.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#2114 6 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Picked this up on Saturday night. Guess it had been stored in warehouse for nearly 20 years.

Nice to see another great pinball being used again and not dying a slow death in storage. Similar to my Space Shuttle, it was folded up and stored for about 10 years in a person's basement. Corrosion everywhere, but with a month of work and a lot of new parts, it is alive and playing happily next to my Star Trek!

#2115 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

If that fixed it great; BUT, please make sure the screws which mount the assembly to the underside of the PF are tight.
If they are; you fixed it.
If not; you'll need to tighten the assembly to the PF and then re-adjust the drop target.
On my machine; that drop assembly has been removed so often that the wood had begun to strip.

Thanks, yeah it's tight. Someone put a completely new drop assembly on this game for some reason. I think, like me, they just didn't know how to adjust.

Somebody put A LOT of money into this game and seemed to create as many problems than they fixed. Bad soldering, wrong parts, entire assemblies put in backwards, wires moved to wrong connectors, etc. It's a mess but I'm having a blast fixing it. Plus it was cheap.

#2116 6 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Picked this up on Saturday night.

Congratulations on your recent purchase, sounds like you found a gem!

#2117 6 years ago

Finally found one! In terrible condition, more pics to come. Scooped It up for $2000 and missing backglass, dmd, av board and dmd cover.

20180121_122206 (resized).jpg20180121_122206 (resized).jpg

#2118 6 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

Finally found one! In terrible condition, more pics to come. Scooped It up for $2000 and missing backglass, dmd, av board and dmd cover.

Good work Captain Okarcades, the Federation is proud of you!!

#2119 6 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

Not to mention picking up a ToM in the same trip! That's a game that is VERY high up on my want list ... you have great taste in pins!

#2120 6 years ago

In my opinion, STTNG is equal if not better than TZ (or any other machine). Soooooo much fun. Still find things ive never played before

#2121 6 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

I wish you wouldve have that ToM when we were talking trades!

#2122 6 years ago

I may be willing to trade still. What do you have?

#2123 6 years ago

Here is my star trek I just picked up. Almost complete except for a backglass, dmd, and av board. Ita in really rough shape but I got a pretty good price on it! Already got a color dmd and av board. Gonna take a long time to get this baby good looking again!

20180131_201409 (resized).jpg20180131_201409 (resized).jpg
20180131_201413 (resized).jpg20180131_201413 (resized).jpg
20180131_201415 (resized).jpg20180131_201415 (resized).jpg
20180131_201417 (resized).jpg20180131_201417 (resized).jpg
20180131_201419 (resized).jpg20180131_201419 (resized).jpg
20180131_201422 (resized).jpg20180131_201422 (resized).jpg
20180131_192747 (resized).jpg20180131_192747 (resized).jpg

#2124 6 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

Gonna take a long time to get this baby good looking again!

Not as long as you may think; this is a very well documented title when it comes to repairs. If you'd like to consider an aftermarket apron, I still have 1 left. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-illuminated-apron-1

I also have 2 left that aren't powder-coated if you'd like to try something different.

#2125 6 years ago

I’m in the club.

Mine randomly when a ball is locked, sits idle for a few minutes before providing another ball.

It locks,it, then i stand there for like 5 minutes while it goes through the motions to find the ball. Itmwill then eventually spit a ball put.

Its annoying.

Any idea where to look first to fix this issue?

#2126 6 years ago

I just installed pinsound.. it really does change the game. But the mix seems to be out of whack - the callouts are hardly audible, drowned out by the music. Anyone else experience this? Or do I need to make board adjustments?

#2127 6 years ago
Quoted from Smart_Bomb:

Any idea where to look first to fix this issue?

Remove all of the balls (there should be 6) then go into switch edge test, with the balls removed ALL of the optical switches should read closed.

The ball could also be getting hung up in the subway...while you have all the balls out and are in edge test, drop a ball into the subway and watch its progress, you should be able to see it pass the subway opto, and then all of the VUK optos should change sequentially until it ends up at the VUK coil.

#2128 6 years ago

I've got a question for the collective. I hadn't played in a while and my son and I were fighting the Borg the other night, and even beat it I think (I got the Super jackpot and he got at least 3 hits on it). However, a ball never fired out of the Borg ship, although one appeared to roll out the start mission scoop after the super jackpot. Am I correct in remembering that a ball should fire from the upper ship and land on the playfield at some point? If so does it shoot out, or just drop down? Or does it actually come out the scoop and I have to do something else to get it to fire? Just trying to figure out if something isn't working right since it doesn't match what I recall. Thanks.

#2129 6 years ago
Quoted from Strohz:

I've got a question for the collective. I hadn't played in a while and my son and I were fighting the Borg the other night, and even beat it I think (I got the Super jackpot and he got at least 3 hits on it). However, a ball never fired out of the Borg ship, although one appeared to roll out the start mission scoop after the super jackpot. Am I correct in remembering that a ball should fire from the upper ship and land on the playfield at some point? If so does it shoot out, or just drop down? Or does it actually come out the scoop and I have to do something else to get it to fire? Just trying to figure out if something isn't working right since it doesn't match what I recall. Thanks.

A ball will only shoot out of the Borg ship if you locked one in there (up the Delta ramp). If you locked them all in the lock behind the pops or the Neutral Zone, none come from the ship.

If you did lock one in the ship, check the solenoid that is under the Borg ship plastic.

#2130 6 years ago
Quoted from Strohz:

If so does it shoot out, or just drop down?

It will shoot out (if there is a ball there) and it should come at you with a really good velocity to it.

#2131 6 years ago

Does anyone have a picture of the attachment points for the launch habitrail on STNG?

I've been test playing a lot of STNG for a new project I'm working on and noticed that my right cannon is regularly hitting the habitrail when I try to hit the neutral zone during Battle Simulation. I recently took apart my right side ramps to install my POP caps and thinking I may have reassembled it incorrectly. Maybe be as simple as not putting the washer in the right place. This "problem" wasn't there before my disassembly.

#2132 6 years ago

IMG_0303 (resized).JPGIMG_0303 (resized).JPG

280 (resized).JPG280 (resized).JPG

286 (resized).JPG286 (resized).JPG

#2133 6 years ago

AAARRRGGFHHHHH!!!!!!

I had the playfield up... dropped a screw... 90 minutes later and I still can't find it. I heard it bounce off the subway and that was it. This has got to be the worst possible machine to own if you have arthritis.

But I still love it.

#2134 6 years ago
Quoted from radium:

I had the playfield up... dropped a screw... 90 minutes later and I still can't find it. I heard it bounce off the subway and that was it. This has got to be the worst possible machine to own if you have arthritis.

Check the woofer on the bottom of the cabinet. I can't tell you how many times I've had a screw drop and attach itself to the speaker.

Pin_Guy ... many thanks. I have the large washer ontop which might be the problem. I'll move it to the bottom.
Also; I don't have spacer between the two habit trails. It hasn't since I've owned it. At least that's what I recall... will go check the machine shortly.

I just posted about my Rear GI lighting project for STNG:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stng-a-reargi-prototype
for those that may be interested.

#2135 6 years ago

Zitt
I seem to recall there is a lot of positional movement to these rails and it took some time to get them positioned properly.

#2136 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

It will shoot out (if there is a ball there)

Quoted from Schwaggs:

A ball will only shoot out of the Borg ship if you locked one in there

Thanks guys, I thought I remembered it doing that but didn't realize one had to be locked up there first. When one rolled out of the start mode scoop, I was so disappointed and wasn't sure what to think

#2137 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I seem to recall there is a lot of positional movement to these rails and it took some time to get them positioned properly.

I moved the large washer to be between the plastic and the bottom habitrail mount and it "fixed" it. Just a small movement in the Z direction was enough to get the ball to clear the habitrail.
Thanks.

#2138 6 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

I just installed pinsound.. it really does change the game. But the mix seems to be out of whack - the callouts are hardly audible, drowned out by the music. Anyone else experience this? Or do I need to make board adjustments?

It depends on the mix. There are several out there. If it's done correctly, it should be volume balanced between music and voice. The hardware doesn't control that. I guess maybe if you way cranked the bass that would drown out some callouts.

#2139 6 years ago
Quoted from budroosker:

It depends on the mix. There are several out there. If it's done correctly, it should be volume balanced between music and voice. The hardware doesn't control that. I guess maybe if you way cranked the bass that would drown out some callouts.

Thanks.. it's Pinball Shark's remix, and it sounds fine on his youtube video. I turned the base all the way down and the mix still sounds way off. Maybe i need to get my ears checked

#2140 6 years ago

For those interested in the fix for this obscure problem, the trough opto photo transistor board had failed, more specifically U2 (LM339) on the photo transistor board failed, this component was causing unstable column drive pulses to the comparitor circuits as well as loading of the reference voltage.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/42#post-4174256

The board was repaired by replacing U2; due to the tiny pads, traces, and thru-holes, I have to say the skill required to replace this part is fairly high.

IC_Removed (resized).JPGIC_Removed (resized).JPG

#2141 6 years ago

I posted a way to adjust the music volume to anyone's liking. Here's the link:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-ultimate-pinsound-mix#post-4210643

Quoted from adamross:

Thanks.. it's Pinball Shark's remix, and it sounds fine on his youtube video. I turned the base all the way down and the mix still sounds way off. Maybe i need to get my ears checked

#2142 6 years ago

Hello all,
Finally I have my STTNG at a place were im happy to post about it. Its my first pinny and is now working 100 percent.
Mods ive done so far,
Colour dmd, mirrored sides, leds, Romulan ship, leds for the under side and rear, 12 inch sub and amp (acts like a shaker), new main speakers with independent volume control, neutral zone protector.
Also fixed stuck borg ramp divert, rebuilt flippers, replaced a couple of opto switches, replaced 12v bridge, replaced broken kicker and broken top drop target assembly. Replaced some broken plastics, cleaned and polished. Also had to add a second 12v supply.
All this was done via the manual and this forum. So thank you all so much for the info, my wife hates you all, but my quality time with the STTNG pinball has been worth it.

20180207_220425 (resized).jpg20180207_220425 (resized).jpg

20180207_220649 (resized).jpg20180207_220649 (resized).jpg

20180207_220901 (resized).jpg20180207_220901 (resized).jpg

#2143 6 years ago

Nice game, looks pretty good.

But you missed a few mods you might be interested in. (shameless plug)
STNG PopCaps
VUK dresskit
Klingon Bird of Prey WingLEDs

#2144 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

STNG PopCaps
VUK dresskit

Hands down the VUK dresskit is an absolute must. Talk about such a simple and elegant way to add that finishing touch to your game. They look great, apply easily, and are made out of durable material.

#2145 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

STNG PopCaps
VUK dresskit

All great upgrades. Shameless plug for my illuminated apron too: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-illuminated-apron-1
Have 2 powder coated ones left, and 2 you paint it kits.

#2146 6 years ago
Quoted from Pie-STTNG:

Finally I have my STTNG at a place were im happy to post about it. Its my first pinny and is now working 100 percent.

CONGRATULATION! This is an outstanding pin to add to any collection and a great way to start a new collection.

#2147 6 years ago

John, your shameless plug worked. Just ordered the vuk and bird of prey led kit. Mine has no klingon ship or attachment. Got the hallmark ship from amazon and will have to come up with a way to mount it.

#2148 6 years ago
Quoted from Pie-STTNG:

will have to come up with a way to mount it.

Drill a hole in it (be careful to only cut through the fist part of the bottom to minimize damage to the wires,
Fix the wiring and tuck it out of the way.
Cut the second half of the hole
Use hot glue to secure it to the flasher.

937 (resized).JPG937 (resized).JPG
958 (resized).JPG958 (resized).JPG
IMG_1885 (resized).JPGIMG_1885 (resized).JPG

#2149 6 years ago

Sorry my bad. I meant the bird of prey.

#2150 6 years ago

Bend a coat hanger. Worked for another customer.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 85.00
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 64.99
$ 63.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

There are 10,383 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 208.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/43?hl=bendit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.