IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240401_105156_Chrome.jpg
IMG_7240 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin_guy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

932 posts in this topic match your search for posts by pin_guy. You are on page 2 of 4.
#2040 6 years ago

A coil is nothing more than a spool of copper wire coated with a special high temperature insulation, and while they can go bad, it's very rare. These are also incredibly easy to check and if they ohm out properly then they are fine.

The part number actually tells you exactly what it is, an AE 25-1000 is a thousand wraps of 25 gauge magnet wire.

#2042 6 years ago

Now that was one DIRTY pin, but she's cleaning up nicely!

#2044 6 years ago
Quoted from Jargus:

Just left the club, trading for an MMR LE.

#2064 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Is there any chance this game could be remade?

Nearly none, IIRC I had read somewhere that Stern Pinball had purchased exclusive rights to produce Star Trek themed pinball machines.

#2065 6 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Has anyone tried just using blue incandescents for the shields?

If there is anywhere I would not want incandescent bulbs its in the shields, I feel the heat from the incandescent getting trapped under the shields is one of the main reasons that these specific inserts end up with ghosting issues. For this reason, my game has LED's for the shields and nacelles as I actually prefer the traditional incandescent bulbs for this title.

#2074 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Would it be a super-stupid idea to use incandescent bulbs in the inserts, coupled with a DC fan to move the heat away from the bulbs?
(DC fans used in computers).

Stupid?

I run 44's in most of my inserts and don't really worry too much since most of the inserts aren't on all the time like the shields and nacelles are, plus my machine isn't on that much, and I rarely have it on for more than an hour on any given day. Essentially it all depends on how you run your machine, if you like your having all your machines on even if they aren't being played (they were designed for this) then you may want to consider some cooling options if you plan on using incandescents

#2078 6 years ago

pezpunk Can you post a two pictures of your switch edge test screen, one with all the balls removed, and one with all the balls in the trough please?

#2079 6 years ago

pezpunk

Any luck on repairing your issue yet?

#2085 6 years ago

pezpunk

The first part is easy; the game is seeing balls in the trough and is trying to remove them; that is why the it keeps kicking a ball to the launcher; when in game the same is sort of true except the game also sees that there is a ball blocking switch 67 (trough up) this tells the software that the ball never made it into play, plus the program sees all your balls are in the trough...

So why is the ball trough photo transistor board not working and causing a ground short on Row 7 when 6 balls are in the trough?

This is a very odd indeed...but, all these problems point to a failure of your ball trough photo transistor board. A shorted D5 on this board would cause a ground short on Row 7 whenever it was pulled low, but this should only be when the opto is clear which would also be a closed switch 67. Normally opto switch 67 would be closed all the time, but yours isn't; your S67 doesn't close until you install a sixth ball in the trough, this makes no sense as the sixth trough ball is switch 61 and is on a different LM339 from switch 67.

In order to really see whats going on you are going to need an o'scope...maybe you have one?
I'm going to speculate that when your drop target switch wire broke, it came in contact with the solenoid voltage for a moment, this voltage would be sufficient to damage your LM339's on the trough board...the only thing I don't like is that this happening will usually take out U20 on you MPU.

I've included a couple images that show the normal operation of the LM339 on the opto board.

Unblocked Opto - Row is driven LOW while its column is active, this is why unblocked optos show as a closed switch.
Opto Clear (resized).pngOpto Clear (resized).png

Blocked OPTO - Row is driven HIGH while its column is active.
Opto Blocked (resized).pngOpto Blocked (resized).png

If you would like to send me your trough board, I would be more than happy to take a look at it for you...Just PM me.

#2087 6 years ago

pezpunk

Yes, I am fairly confident that replacing the board will fix your machine, I would be a little more confident if I knew for sure your column 6 drive was working even though it appears to be based on switch 68 working.

I'm more confident that your original board (assuming it's original) can be repaired, so my offer still stands to repair your board if you desire. While this repair technically would be cost prohibited over buying a new board, I'll do this repair for you as one STTNG owner to another so all you are paying for is the shipping cost.

#2091 6 years ago

First of all ... welcome back!

Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I've talked with a few people and have noticed on other next gens I've played, it's a tough game to get 100%, including a previous one I had. What truth is there to this?

This is a tough question to answer as it's very subjective as the skill level of the people working on it varies greatly; fortunately, you have already found this thread and should you run into issues with your game you cant resolve, its likely you will find the answers here.

I remember the optos being a pain, and the diverter in the subway needing to be just right, or you can end up with premature games or added balls in play, losing track of balls, etc.

I would definitely be concerned with both the subway diverters and the Borg diverter based on the age of the game, this would even hold true if you found a NIB machine...if these assemblies have not been disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt, the 25+ year old grease on them will be hardened and result in mechanisms that operate poorly. Taking the time to properly rebuilding these mechanisms should allow them to operate trouble free for decades.

#2104 6 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Could anyone snap pictures of their left cannon home switch wiring under the playfield?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-left-launcher-alignment-calibration

#2109 6 years ago
Quoted from radium:

I believe my left cannon assembly is upsidedown!!! Can someone confirm?

It does look a little odd...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2116 6 years ago

Picked this up on Saturday night.

Congratulations on your recent purchase, sounds like you found a gem!

#2119 6 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

Finally found one! In terrible condition, more pics to come. Scooped It up for $2000 and missing backglass, dmd, av board and dmd cover.

Not to mention picking up a ToM in the same trip! That's a game that is VERY high up on my want list ... you have great taste in pins!

#2127 6 years ago
Quoted from Smart_Bomb:

Any idea where to look first to fix this issue?

Remove all of the balls (there should be 6) then go into switch edge test, with the balls removed ALL of the optical switches should read closed.

The ball could also be getting hung up in the subway...while you have all the balls out and are in edge test, drop a ball into the subway and watch its progress, you should be able to see it pass the subway opto, and then all of the VUK optos should change sequentially until it ends up at the VUK coil.

#2130 6 years ago
Quoted from Strohz:

If so does it shoot out, or just drop down?

It will shoot out (if there is a ball there) and it should come at you with a really good velocity to it.

#2132 6 years ago

IMG_0303 (resized).JPGIMG_0303 (resized).JPG

280 (resized).JPG280 (resized).JPG

286 (resized).JPG286 (resized).JPG

#2135 6 years ago

Zitt
I seem to recall there is a lot of positional movement to these rails and it took some time to get them positioned properly.

#2140 6 years ago

For those interested in the fix for this obscure problem, the trough opto photo transistor board had failed, more specifically U2 (LM339) on the photo transistor board failed, this component was causing unstable column drive pulses to the comparitor circuits as well as loading of the reference voltage.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/42#post-4174256

The board was repaired by replacing U2; due to the tiny pads, traces, and thru-holes, I have to say the skill required to replace this part is fairly high.

IC_Removed (resized).JPGIC_Removed (resized).JPG

#2146 6 years ago
Quoted from Pie-STTNG:

Finally I have my STTNG at a place were im happy to post about it. Its my first pinny and is now working 100 percent.

CONGRATULATION! This is an outstanding pin to add to any collection and a great way to start a new collection.

#2148 6 years ago
Quoted from Pie-STTNG:

will have to come up with a way to mount it.

Drill a hole in it (be careful to only cut through the fist part of the bottom to minimize damage to the wires,
Fix the wiring and tuck it out of the way.
Cut the second half of the hole
Use hot glue to secure it to the flasher.

937 (resized).JPG937 (resized).JPG
958 (resized).JPG958 (resized).JPG
IMG_1885 (resized).JPGIMG_1885 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#2156 6 years ago
Quoted from jathomp22:

Has anyone tried putting the cannon gear box in an ultrasonic cleaner without taking it apart first?

The gearbox is supposed to be sealed ... no liquid or or out.

1 week later
#2168 6 years ago

I just like posting pictures...

#2170 6 years ago
Quoted from Hoser:

I hadn't gotten to the schematics yet, but now I know where to look.

1 week later
#2177 6 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Everything else works except the drop target, and it appears the board is sending the signal to the drop target but the drop target isn’t responding.

I still dont know whats wrong with the drop target...Does it not drop, or does it not raise? The drop target has two separate coils and two separate drivers for these coils but you haven't provided enough information about the problem for anyone to respond to. Please provide more detailed information about the issue you are experiencing and you will surely get better responses.

Attached it the wiring information for connector J114 you were requesting, hopefully this will aid you in solving this issue.

#2181 6 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Got it! Thanks for the help pin_guy! I had the 12v’s swapped. Doh!

That'll do it every time

Glad you got it fixed; this game was made to be played!

1 week later
#2198 6 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Getting 11.56 volts DC at test point one with positive lead on test point and negative on ground strap in the back box

11.56 is very low for the unregulated 12V.

Warning: Replacing PBD capacitors is not a simple repair; many folks that have attempted this ended up damaging their boards by braking traces and pulling out thru-holes.

#2202 6 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

I'll order the rebuild kit that marco sells later and change out all the caps and bridge rectifiers and keep the board as a spare.

I cringe everytime I see someone say this but wish you the best of luck with this repair.

#2217 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

That sounds reasonable.
I'd look to see what upstream from the bridge rectifiers could be an issue because those voltages seem correct.

J116, J117, and J118 on the power board are all wired the same, this is where your +12VU leaves the PDB...one of these is your playfield 12V that controls everything that isn't working. Do a good inspection on these, if they look fine, try swapping them around. If none of that helps you are going to have to start measuring your 12V under the playfield (Grey-Yellow) to see where it gets lost.

#2224 6 years ago
Quoted from BriPin:

Quick question for the group: I just got my Rock undercab LED kit and J125 pin 3 is keyed on his connector but the board is keyed at pin 4. Am I doing something wrong or is the connector keyed incorrectly? Thanks!

NM...answered

#2225 6 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

Ok I'll do that when I get the new Rectifier put in. None of the 12v works however the color dmd works when plugged into any of those 3.

if the color DMD works then your 12VU is fine as the Color DMD uses 12VU exclusively in operation.

#2226 6 years ago
Quoted from jesperpark:

I am guessing it's something bigger and looking for advise what to start looking at next.

Don't get me started on the reset fix ... I've made it clear where I stand on this ...

The best place for you to start is by measuring the power supply voltages on the PDB, post these numbers here and we can go from there.

#2229 6 years ago

I was actually expecting test point readings, but I can work with this; your 12VR is a little low at J114-1 and probably a little lower at the MPU, but I don't think this is problematic...yet.

Your 5V is a tiny bit low at J114 but likely lower at the MPU since there are a total of 4 connection points between the PDB and the MPU...a few tenths make a difference here; ideally, you should have around 5.2V at the 5VR test point TP2

At 15.8V your 12VU is fine, and you should have plenty of power to drive your DMD and other features. This voltage is actually a little higer than it should be and I suspect its due to it not being loaded by your playfield boards. I suggest that you start chasing this voltage down under the playfield as there is probaly a break in the circuit. With your playfield raised, the voltage will feed to the bottom right parts first and make its way across the playfield in an inverted U pattern. One of the last points to receive this power is the 16 OPTO board, this means a break in this voltage anywhere along the way is going to cause some serious issues.

Quoted from mavantix:

Your 18V is way low, and 12v-reg low probably as a result.

This is possible, but I don't see anywhere where it was measured, the only place you can measure this voltage is at TP8, and there is no voltage readings recorded for this test point.

Quoted from jesperpark:

117-2 = 4.9v
117-4 = 15.8v

I'm going to just assume these are reversed as you just cant have 12V on the 5V line, and 5V on the 12V line on this connector

#2230 6 years ago

Sorry, I was confusing your problem with another guys that has no working cannons and other 12V related issues...

Like mavantix mentioned, this is likely a problem with your 18V lamp matrix, please measure TP8 and report back with your readings.

Below is a diagram to aid you in locating your test points:

#2234 6 years ago
Quoted from jesperpark:

Okay ill give all TPs

TP1 = 14.6v
TP2 = 4.9v
TP3 = 11.7v
TP4 = .4v
TP5 = 0v
TP6 = 72.3v
TP7 = 21.4v
TP8 = 17.8v

Thanks again

If anything, I suspect your 5V regulator on the MPU ... and your reset fix. please measure the voltage across the C31 on the MPU, if this voltage is lower that 4.9, remove the reset fix and remeasure this voltage. Please respond back with all these measurements.

#2238 6 years ago
Quoted from jesperpark:

So with the "fix" in I get 5.1v, without "fix" I get 4.7v

Thanks for the continued help

I think I got off track here a little bit as your were asking for help for strobing GI's. For your 5V section you are loosing .2V between the MPU and PDB, this is going to be caused by headers/connectors and is one of the primary caused of your original reset issues. The 5V is also starting off low, replacing the 5V regulator would likely correct this, but for now your reset fix is working, just keep this at the back of your mind if you experience additional issues with resets.

For your

Quoted from jesperpark:Now it booted back up, it did restart once in 5 minutes but I was able to play 2 games. Issue now is when i hit start, the 6 bulbs for the shields start to flicker. I then left it on for another 10 minutes with no more restarts, but all the LEDs are really flickering across the whole machine. So I am guessing it's something bigger and looking for advise what to start looking at next.

Is it just GI's that flicker, or is it all lamps in the game? If its just the GI's then I would suspect an issue with the dimming circuit or control data. There is a couple of easy things you can try...

Flip over the ribbon cable between the MPU and PDB, this will make change the conductors used for communications.
Go into game settings and disable the GI dimming feature, if the problem persists, the issue is likely on the PDB itself.
Pull the MPU, place on a hard flat surface and press in on the ASIC chip to ensure its seated well.

General dimming "theory of operation"... from PinWIKI http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#GI_Lamps_Not_Dimming

The driver board generates the ZC signal with the BR2, D3/D38 and U6 circuitry (different resistors).
The ZC signal is connected to the ASIC (across the driver board, the ribbon, and then across the MPU).
The ASIC uses the ZC signal to determine when to send the /TRIAC signal to U1 pin 11 (an 74LS374 buffer IC) as it simultaneously presents GI string enable data on the data bus.
U1 latches GI string enable data from the MPU's data bus.
The output of U1 forms signals T0 thru T4, which enable the TRIAC circuitry.

#2240 6 years ago
Quoted from jesperpark:

Well after pulling the the power board, and finding a bunch of poor soldering and jumper wires everywhere, when the caps and Br's were chasnged.

#2242 6 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

Uhhg, yeah, sounds like someone hacked at the board. New board is probably a good idea, maybe sell your old one for someone to properly fix if it's salvageable.

I can do trace and thruhole repair and may be interested in purchasing this board; if you are interested in selling the board please PM me with pictures of the damaged areas and I would be willing make an offer on the damaged one based on how much time I anticipate having to put into it to make the proper repairs.

NOTE: The term "proper repairs" is very subjective; IMO proper repairs of thru holes mean installing solid copper eyelets of the same inside diameter and pad size as the original (see 3 repaired pads in pic below ). I may have a mild case of OCD...

Once tinned before installing parts, these eyelets will look exactly like the original pads, but you cannot get a soldering iron hot enough to damage them.

#2245 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Can you share some info on how you did this?

The technique is relatively straight forward, first you clean the area the best you can. This board didn't need new traces so it was a fairly straight forward process. The most important part is having the right size eyelets, to match the circuit board, as these must be the right length and diameter.

Once you have your eyelet selected, you need the matching ball mill to drill out the hole to the same size as the outside diameter of the eyelet, DO NOT use a regular drill bit for this as it can damage the traces.

After the new holes are done the eyelets should fit right in, yet be snug enough to not fall out. For these I used a hand setting tool and small hammer to set them and then tap them flat, since these are copper they work really easy and flatten right out without a lot of force.

Circuit Medic carries a lot of the stuff to do this kind of work and I believe have guides available on line. http://www.circuitmedic.com/products/kits.shtml

I've been doing work like this for a long time and have access to kits that haven't been produced in a very long time. The eyelet kit used in this specific repair is shown here:

DSC00439 (resized).JPGDSC00439 (resized).JPG

#2249 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Daymn... That stuff is expensive.

Unfortunately the price of these items has really escalated as the demand has decreased. The fact is we currently live in a "throw away" society and its more cost effective to buy a new board than to hire a technician to repair the original board; this killed off the repair sector and escalated the cost of repair materials which are much harder to find these days.

The kit pictured is in a really nice felt lined metal box and was manufactured in the late 70's or early 80's; this was one of the manufacturers sample kits they they would provide to the larger repair facilities. I consider myself very fortunate to have acquired this kit.

#2256 6 years ago
Quoted from angus:

I did a lot of testing in switch test already. it will go to the R gun in switch test occasionally. So it really seems like it is just the ball wanting to go down that path occasionally and not the diverter

This is a mechanical issues, the ball only goes where its directed to go, it takes the electrical action of a coil to direct the ball to anywhere other than the upper left VUK...in the absence of this electrical energy, only a mechanical force can keep the diverters closed and direct the ball to the right gun.

Quoted from angus:

So once that happens the game just goes into ball search but doesn't kick it out of the right gun. nothing looks wrong in the subway.

Only a failing opto in the right gun can cause the game to go into ball search at this point. No matter how clean the game is, it looks like you have multiple issues happening here.

STTNG Guru

#2263 6 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Ok. New to the club. Game has been sitting in a Trekkie couple’s home since 1998. It’s dirty and I am hoping it cleans up well. Couple of questions:

1). See attached photo of what switch errors were present when I ran test. Doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason (column/row) that’s out. Can anyone give advice on what next step should be?

2) Balls. I used the menu button to release all balls. They all fired out and drained. Now, when I turn on the the game, it says “locating balls” and can’t find anything. No ball gets ejected into shooter lane. What next?

Good points of the game? Cabinet solid. DMD perfect. Cannons rotate and fire correctly. The game did fire up and played when at their house and when I got it here. Translite very good. I am excited to dial this in. Need some experienced STTNG folks here to guide me through

First off, WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!! You now have, what I consider to be, the best pinball ever made.

The only "real" issue I see here is that you have a bad trough opto, and in this game its a big problem. More than likely you either have a broken load resistor on your transmitter board, or a failed IR LED, these are very easy to fix. The opto board is subject to a lot of vibration...especially if its a first generation board without the anti-shock bushings.

#2271 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

How would one know if the opto board is without the anti-shock bushings?

You can see them under the mounting screws. They are black runner grommets with metal sleeve in them, the sleeve allows you to securely tighten the board in place while still allowing the board some movement to absorb the shocks.

#2275 5 years ago
Quoted from PTHermes:

Board experts, I've been having problems with F116 blowing randomly, can't seem to tie it to anything. I pulled the board assuming BR5 was bad, but it diode tested fine.

If BR5 was bad it should blow the immediately and all the time; since this is the only fuse for the entire 12VU circuit, you may have other issues going on that may not be tied to the PDB

Quoted from PTHermes:

BR1 on the other hand showed null for diagram 2 below, and over 1 volt when I reversed the leads.

That doesn't sound right; figure 1 and 2 should measure the same.

Quoted from PTHermes:

Additionally BR4 has a previous repair, and was replaced with a 15amp instead of 35, but tests OK; should I replace this two while I have it on the bench?

This is the BR for your flashers, it may not need to be 35A to operate and it could be that the only reason a 35A was used as it would have been cheaper to manufacture these boards using only one type of bridge rectifier vs sourcing multiple parts. Its up to you if you want to replace it, I probably would because it would annoy me knowing it was different.

#2283 5 years ago

At idle with nobody playing, I noticed a burned coil smell coming from Next Gen. Shut the game off and investigated it this evening. Center diverter under the playfield coil is burned/stuck solid. S0ooo, definitely a bad coil there, but probably bad transistor too.

I like to recommend the following hardening procedure to anyone that has experiences issues in this area.

1. Locate the +50V DC tieback wire which is a THIN violet-green wire (normally soldered to the drop down target coil)
2. Cut this wire from the drop down target.
3. Carefully extract this wire from the playfield solonoid harness back to the cable management ring below the aux driver board... NOTE: this can be a PITA to do, and you may need to cut and replace multiple wire ties along the way, but keep telling yourself that it will be worth it in the end.
4. Once removed from the harness you will have a lot of extra wire (a good thing) you need to have enough wire to reach J108-1 on the power driver board. J108-1 is an ideal location as its unused in STTNG, and pin 1 is fused by the same fuse that powers the subway coils so if you blow a fuse and loose power at this pin, you also lost power to the coils/drive transistor it protects.
5. Using your favorite type connector (I use IDC) land the wire at J108-1, be sure to leave yourself a few inches of wire for future repairs.
6. Play your machine!

#2285 5 years ago

What can I assume happened here? What would have caused that center diverter coil to heat up and melt?

Failure of drive transistor causing the coil to lock on is the primary cause, this failure often occurs from a missing tieback voltage.
Another possible cause is a bad ribbon cable between the MPU and aux driver board, verify that this cable is connected properly on both ends.

2 weeks later
#2291 5 years ago
Quoted from HughesDForce:

My game has been launching extra balls since I got it. Trough opto #2 wasn’t registering, so I replaced both trough opto boards

The best way to troubleshoot opto problems is to remove all the balls and look at your switch edge test; any opto that is not closed will require attention. This simple test will immediately identify the majority of opto issues.

#2295 5 years ago
Quoted from HughesDForce:

Of the 4 bad pairs, 3 transmitters still worked. From what I've read, it's usually the transmitters that fail?

How did you test these? If you tested these by looking at them through a camera, they may be glowing, yet lack the luminescent intensity required to activate the photo-transistor.

While I feel it's not common to have so many simultaneous failures, you have to keep in mind is that these IR LED have a limited lifespan; while it's a long lifespan that's rated in thousands of hours, on a game that's over 25 years old it would not be uncommon for this time to be reached. The most cost effective way to repair these optos is to bulk buy the individual IR LEDs. You can pick up 100 IR LED's from Mouser for $25.50, which in the world of pinball is practically free. https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ON-Semiconductor-Fairchild/QED123?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtdAabcSkQOlzjLIThujcXr You can also buy the exact same item for as low as $1 each from Marco if you prefer http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5671-12731-00

#2302 5 years ago

I didn't think it was too difficult; there is just a lot of stuff, so take a lot of pictures. Probably the toughest part was getting all the wireforms to line up properly

3 weeks later
#2306 5 years ago

Welcome aboard, Captain!

#2311 5 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Just a quick question, I've put in a new coil, FL-17636, to replace the upper R/H flipper, game came with all of these coils for all 3 flippers. But I still seem to have trouble making that L/H ramp, it never goes as fast as I see on youtube. It can make the ramp, sometimes, and even go into the borg ship, just not very strong.

FL-17636 was an experimental coil that was installed in early runs of STTNG, and the original manuals will show this is the correct coil. It's my understanding that later runs of this machine had FL-11629 coils installed and this is supported by documentation included in the Williams Green parts catalog dated July 1996. (see image)

FWIW: I have the original FL-17636 installed in my machine and have no issues making this shot; the most important thing here is that the flipper needs to be right inline with the ball guide, any error in this alignment will result in a weaker shot. The one thing I do notice is that the FL-17636 has a much weaker secondary, so fast balls have an easier time moving the flipper, the EOS (if adjusted and working) will then apply full power to the coil knocking the ball away.

FL11629 (Blue Coil Wrapper) - power 4 ohms; hold 132 ohms
FL17636 (Blue Coil Wrapper) - power 4.4 ohms; hold 373 ohms

One of my favorite STTNG pictures:

1 week later
#2315 5 years ago

1) run a display test and let it complete all the way thru to see if there are any RAM or aging errors

2) replace the long ribbon cables

1 week later
#2320 5 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Previously I've cleaned the wire ramps, just put in a new rottendog motherboard versus recapping the original board

WTB your original Power Driver ... please PM me.

#2321 5 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

it couldn't throw the balls hard enough in order for them to go up top, they just kept missing their mark and rolling down the playfield.

Check your alignment of the wireform at the exit side...if its not tossing balls right down the middle of the lane, the ball can loose a lot of momentum.

#2323 5 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Not sure if the ramps were just slightly out of alignment or what so ordered a new coil just in case.

Coils generally either work or they don't; this particular coil is an AE 23-800 and should have a coil resistance of 4.2 ohms. If it reads close to 4.2, then there is nothing wrong with it.

The machine I current have was having a similar problem as yours, what I found during the restoration is that someone tried to fix this by removing nearly 1/3 of the coil wingdings in order to make the coil stronger ... I'm not going to say what I said when I found this during the games disassembly...

The true problem my machine had, is that someone in the past installed the wrong coil stop in the game (the correct one https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16886 is an odd size that was rarely used). This coil stop gave the catapult more throw which caused the ball to be thrown onto the rail rather than down the rail which killed a significant amount of the balls momentum; you can actually see the wear at the end of the rail from the balls being repeatedly hammered into the rail.

I would start by replacing the coil sleeve (https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7066) and the coil stop. After my restoration and alignments, the ball hit the drop target so fast that it would bounce all the way back into the right orbit...this settled down once the wax was worn off and the game got a little dirtier, the ball then started finding their way into the top lanes as they should.

Good luck!

#2327 5 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Another $8 of shipping. Gotta be something else I need for my games to make the shipping bill more appealing.

This always seems to happen to me as well...within a day of ordering something from Marco I found out there was something I need that I didn't order; like you, I generally add additional things so I don't spend more in shipping than merchandise

#2334 5 years ago

Make sure your mark switch is functioning properly in cannon test.

#2337 5 years ago
Quoted from WeLoveScott:

Can someone tell me, is the "trough up" opto just the last one (7th one, slightly offset) opto on the Trough Opto boards? Thanks!

it is, it should normally register as a closed switch (unblocked)

1 week later
#2339 5 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

and it looks like my long crank arm was held together with tape.

Strange, this part should never break. If the shaft is broken, you can probably just epoxy it back together and it should last forever; if not, at least they are cheap. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8620

#2342 5 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

y left cannon popper has been staying locked in the popped position when I fire it up. Or fires even if there isn’t a ball in the cannon.

This failure is caused by the cannon optos indicating a ball is in the cannon and is usually caused by a failure of the the IR LED or cannon wiring.

Quoted from Toasterdog:

I would like to adjust the home position to be more accurate. Can someone steer me to a post or guide me through a small adjustment?

This will help you:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-left-launcher-alignment-calibration#post-4126168

#2343 5 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

It's totally the small one that was broken and glued. Off to PBL I go.

oooh....the small one is a PITA to replace. This is the one that connects directly to gearbox shaft and is held in place with a retention pin...the pin is very difficult to remove, I broke 2 punches trying to remove one

#2353 5 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Is it safe to power on with the subway, right subway VUK, and corresponding connnectors disconnected?

Power on yes, play...NO.

#2361 5 years ago
Quoted from BizPop:

1. My digital screen is starting to get "staticky". See picture. Anyone know of a way to fix this?

run a full diagnostic on the display.

3 weeks later
#2393 5 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Lighting the Romulan ship scared me, too. I just took a circular saw to my Hallmark ship, swapped it for the one that was there, and called that good enough. It looks much better.

The Hallmark ship is only scary because there is so much unknown about the mod, but once you know whats going on its fairly simple.

Myth: There is a circuit board in the ship that's needed for it to operate.
Fact: All the circuit board does is convert 120V AC to DC for the two zener diodes to "regulate" the voltage to around 6.5 volts. Since we already have a 6 volt GI circuit we dont need any of this for it to work as the ship contains 4 incandescent bulbs and they could care less if the voltage is AC or DC for them to glow, as long as its around 6V.

Well heck, I guess that's all there is to it. Of course I've been known to back up what I say with pictures so I won't disappoint.

I was once in the dark with this board as well so I cracked open a Romulan Ship to see what I was dealing with...that's when I found the spider! Okay, not a real spider but this little board with its 8 yellow wires just looks like a spider.

901 (resized).JPG901 (resized).JPG
903 (resized).JPG903 (resized).JPG

Each one of the Zeners in the picture above control one side of the lights and are wired in series in order to reduce the overall current draw.

I would like to strongly discourage taking one apart like this as it is absolutely the hardest way to mod this AND you will chip paint around the warp nacelles which light will shine through and make it look bad.

The best way to do this is to just pull out your drill with a 1-1/4"/32mm hole saw and cut all the way through the bottom layer of plastic, then STOP! The reason you stop when you are through is to minimize damage to the wires, if you go too deep you will start damaging insulation, making more work for yourself. If you drill this perfectly, ALL of the wires will still be connected to the board and you can just cut them off, or desolder them if you prefer.
937 (resized).JPG937 (resized).JPG

After the board is out of the way, tuck all of the wires inside the ship then get your drill back out and cut through the top layer of plastic; since you already have 2 guide holes this is a simple cut, you only have to worry about going too deep and scratching the underside of the top portion of the ship in a place no one can see.

Just take all of the wires, solder them into a single 4 lamp series circuit and call it done. I used heat shrink over every connection and installed a 2 pin molex connector in place of the original tree lighting socket and called it done!
958 (resized).JPG958 (resized).JPG

All thats left is to wire it to any GI socket you see fit, if you made it this far no explanation is necessary. I hot glued mine down to the flasher cover, but realistically the ship never moved while I was game testing it, so its up to you what you want to do here. I cannot fall off as there is no room for it clear the flasher with the glass on, but it may fall if you raise the playfield and don't have it glued down.
IMG_1887 (resized).JPGIMG_1887 (resized).JPGIMG_1888 (resized).JPGIMG_1888 (resized).JPG

Engage!
IMG_1885 (resized).JPGIMG_1885 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#2397 5 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Of course, that's the picture you left out.

Ok so the wires, each bulb has 2 and there are 2 power wires (of course) inside, the 2 power wires have a knot tied in them so they cant pull out, but you can always press these deeper into the ship to make connections easier. You do have to be careful how much force you put on the lamp wires as they can break off the lamp if you aren't careful; before you start, its a good idea to measure the 2 wires to each lamp, they should read around 3.8 ohms.

The first thing I did was add a small jumper wire to the top left light, this is the one furthest away from the power connector, this wire will make it much easier to bridge the gap between the 2 halves; once that was in place I soldered one wire from each of the lamps on one right side of the ship together.

DSC00528 (resized).JPGDSC00528 (resized).JPG

The first wire was tucked away inside the ship, then I soldered the jumper I added earlier to the upper right light to connect the lights on both sides together
DSC00530 (resized).JPGDSC00530 (resized).JPG

As you can see each wire is tucked away after its soldered, the next wire was connecting the 2 lights on the right side. At this point all I have left is two wires, lower right and lower left. These will be connected to the ships power wires.

DSC00531 (resized).JPGDSC00531 (resized).JPG

Just solder each one to one of the power wires.
DSC00532 (resized).JPGDSC00532 (resized).JPG

Then tuck them away inside the ship.
DSC00537 (resized).JPGDSC00537 (resized).JPG

Good luck!

Added over 6 years ago:

EDIT: FURTHER INVESTIGATION INTO HOW I WIRED THIS REVEALED THAT I ACTUALLY ONLY WIRED THE 2 LIGHS ON EACH SIDE IN SERIES WITH EACH OTHER AND WIRED THE 2 PAIRS IN PARALLEL. THIS IS HOW THE ORIGINAL BOARD WIRING WOULD HAVE BEEN AND RESULTS IN THE SHIPS LIGHTING HAVING THE PROPER BRIGHTNESS.

IT IS MUCH MORE DIFFICULT TO WIRE THIS WAY AS EACH OF THE GREEN POWER WIRES WILL HAVE 3 WIRES SOLDERED TOGETHER.

#2398 5 years ago

I have another Hallmark ship I can work on and post new pictures of the wiring changes needed to produce optimal lighting.

#2407 5 years ago

Just loosen the 4 phillips screws holding the canon to the shaft, turn it to line up with the wire-form, tighten it back down, and start playing...you earned it!

These are slotted to give you lots of wiggle room...

Cannon Adjustment (resized).jpgCannon Adjustment (resized).jpg
#2410 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Is there a detail about, or a picture of STTNG that you DON'T have on file?

Probably not, I took around 1500 pictures when I did my full restoration; I have pictures of every sub assembly as they were disassembled and rebuilt.

#2421 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

So; what does everyone think? Worth the extra effort?

LOOKS GREAT!

Quoted from Zitt:

I went and looked at the pre-modded, supposedly plug-in installable in my machine and quickly realized it wasn't up to snuff. The other guys' mod was basically a single LED heatshrinked to each nacelle.

I would have been VERY disappointed with that, no way it would have went in my machine either.

3 weeks later
#2431 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Hey guys, been an owner for a few years now. I finally got around to doing the battery mod so that it now takes a 3v lithium.

I dont know what gain this mod has since you can easily install AA sized lithium batteries in the battery holder

#2433 5 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

Realised I'm running old ROMs... LX-3. What's the best option to upgrade to?

LX7

#2435 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Cheaper, smaller to store spares, easier to purchase, ten minutes to complete...

I guess this comes down to a personal decision on which is better. The following information is provided in order to provide everyone reading this thread with more information on this so they can make an informed decision on their own.

Cheaper, maybe; you would have to calculate the cost of the mod in addition to replacing the battery every 3 years instead of every 10 years. Current pricing for a pack of four AA Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries is $6 USD; of course if you buy these in higher quantities for all your machines, remotes, etc, they are much cheaper.

Easier to purchase? I disagree. AA sized Energizer lithium batteries are available everywhere you can buy batteries, and your ease of purchase is as simple as walking into Walmart with cash, check, or credit card, or just ordering them off amazon . Last time I checked, the coin cell mod cannot be purchased nearly as easily, personally I don't even know where to get one as I never considered getting one.

Storage space for spares? Are you serious? Why would you store spare batteries for something that only needs to be replaced once a decade? besides, I automatically assume that if you own a pinball machine, you have adequate space to store a single pack of 4 AA batteries even though you shouldn't?

10 min to complete is actually much longer than it takes to install 3 AA batteries in the existing battery holder...plus you can do it with the machine power on so that you don't loose any high scores, game settings or audits. perhaps I'm not familiar enough with the mod, but the one I saw required pulling the battery holder and replacing it a new coin cell holder, this type mod cannot be performed by everyone.

#2440 5 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

I assume I should replace that, but does that correlate with the issue outlined above or should I be looking further?

You're on the right track, I would replace the capacitor before performing any further troubleshooting. Should be 25V 100uf aluminum electrolytic

#2446 5 years ago

I believe the game tests only one cannon to check the validity of the column 9 pulse on startup, if more than one cannon is being tested, the game is checking for cannon switch operation prior to flagging a switch error for failure to change states in X games.

#2448 5 years ago

Possibly, but your issue is going to be a VUK opto or subway issue. Fix this problem, play a few games to start Battle Simulation, then power cycle the game and see if it continues to test both cannons

1 week later
#2456 5 years ago
Quoted from pzy:

Anyone have a leg protector recommendation to keep this looking clean and fresh? Plastic or felt?

Neither one, ONLY use the metal ones!

Quoted from pzy:

Don't those require screwing into the cabinet? I'd rather avoid that. Just something to keep the metal legs from digging into/rubbing against the cabinet art, my first instinct is soft felt.

They do, but you really shouldn't worry about that as once installed they are never coming off and you will have no cabinet damage from the legs. This is the best thing you can purchase to keep your obviously pristine cabinet from being damaged. Don't use similar ones that are made of plastic (like stern uses on LE's) as I can confirm that they will not provide the same protection.

#2464 5 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

Permission to board...Finally got my baby!

Welcome aboard Captain!

#2465 5 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

If your cab is original screen artwork you might be ok with pinguards. The main advantage of pinguards is it helps hide any existing wear or damage. However if your cab has been redone with decals I would not recommend these because it will damage and wrinkle them.

Original silk screen was not applied to wood, the original silkscreen was still applied to a vinyl type material bonded to the plywood; while better than decals, it can still wrinkle.

#2466 5 years ago
Quoted from pzy:

On another note, I currently have the "LA-7" and "L1 Music/Speech" ROMs, are those fine for a ColorDMD? Their website says "LX-7" is required.

LA-7 is fine ... LX7 is the international version of the same ROM.

#2467 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

They are completely hidden by the legs, definitely the right choice for any cabinet.

This is what it will look like with metal protectors (some parts on this machine are missing)

935 (resized).JPG935 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#2475 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

What would cause the selection screen to go nuts, as if I am depressing a flipper button really fast, non-stop? (but I am actually NOT touching the flipper buttons at all)

Assuming you aren't waiting too long which speeds up the selection rate, closure of the upper right and upper left flipper optos is what allows you to manually change the selection, you may want to clean them and see if the problem goes away.

For clarification, ALL WPC89 games have four flipper switches, most of which have programmed functions even if the game only has two flippers.

#2478 5 years ago
Quoted from gcmess:

Pick up a STTNG on Sat and have been having fun since....

Welcome aboard Captain!

#2479 5 years ago
Quoted from CaffeineSlug:

There is a diverter in the back, sounds like that's not working properly

This is good advice, the diverted is normally open to the Borg ship; it is pulled closed by delta ramp entry opto when Borg Lock is not lit.

#2500 5 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

Just nabbed a "NOS" neutral zone switch and boy this thing looks like a pain to adjust!

Awesome find! Just wait until you find out what all needs to be removed to replace it

#2503 5 years ago

you already have some damage A Mantis is better at preventing the damage to start with but a cliffy will cover up existing dame and provide protection.

Image below is a mantis protector installed on a new board with 0 plays. NOTE: The Mantis in the photo below sits slightly lower the top of the playfield which could result in minor damage to the clearcoat; routing out a tiny portion of the mounting location on the bottom side of the board to bring the Mantis flush with the topside could guarantee that damage would not occur.

1123 (resized).JPG1123 (resized).JPG
#2510 5 years ago
Quoted from Staf:

hey sttng fans , new in the club . i have a question . in the borg ship the 2 lamps are not light up , when should they light up ?

Welcome aboard Captain!

They should flash in T8 All Lamps, or in individual lamp test T8 - 56

#2517 5 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

However during gameplay the left cannon will randomly begin moving and repeatedly fires the solenoid and then occasionally won’t find hone position and triggers a credit dot.

This is a classic symptom of a cannon opto transmitter failure, essentially the game is seeing a closure of the cannon switch telling it there is a ball in the cannon; it could be caused by low 12v to the opto board under the playfield, bad connection to the opto transmitter in the cannon or at the 16 opto board, a bad filter capacitor on the 16 opto board or even a failing LM339 on the 16 opto board.

#2539 5 years ago
Quoted from mrpilkington:

Thread lurker here. Thinking of picking up a heavy project STTNG. Does anyone know of a populated, or mostly populated playfield for sale?

I have on for sale ... its a fully populated pristine playfield (better than new condition) and 100% operational. I will ship it in a 3/4" plywood cabinet with a glass inspection top layer for only $6000.

#2543 5 years ago
Quoted from scooter8416:

I'd like to use the blue emitters as it seems the Q123(4)s would be fairly easy to mix up with each other. Unless of course the pictures shown aren't correct. Can anyone confirm?

#2545 5 years ago

1 week later
#2548 5 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeDanger:

Hey Folks! I finally found a STTNG of my very own - I'm amazed at the complexity of this game, I've only worked on 1 EM before this.

Welcome aboard Captain and CONGRATULATIONS! This remains one of my all-time favorite games.

the video / dmd is off; anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Its in your best interest to become familiar with the information contained here http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC

For your current issue, look specifically in this section http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Display_problems

You can also try swapping in parts from your TZ to help isolate the issue.

#2552 5 years ago
Quoted from scooter8416:

Thank-you guys for the help. Will be ordering some 123s and 124s.

Slowly getting my sttng all shopped out

I looked at your playfield pictures from this post some time ago and something was just off about it and I finally figured it out! The playfield you are rebuilding has what appears to be a Dec 14 manufacturing date and is likely why I didn't recognize the color registration marks on it. What really threw me off was the playfield in your picture has a machine specific barcode label (SN 336042) for the specific game it came from ... unless I'm still missing something, I'm assuming this doesn't match your machine at all.

Images Original playfield from machine S/N 432591 and matching part labels:

#2555 5 years ago
Quoted from scooter8416:

Just went and looked everything matches but the MPU, driver, and dmd board.

Nice, I wonder if they had multiple board manufacturers for this build.

#2557 5 years ago
Quoted from BriPin:

F116 blew for the second time. Is it normal for F116 itself to to be too hot to touch for long with a Color DMD and Pinsound installed?

This doesn't sound right, What is your voltage at TP1?

Quoted from BriPin:

I already replaced BR5 and C30 to fix the slow cannons but I'm wondering what else I could do?

You can disconnect J116, J117, and J118 one at a time to try and find out which one is pulling excessive current. You will want to keep your coin door open for this as all of your optos will loose power during these tests and cause the game to freak out.

#2558 5 years ago

Update on my display issue - I replaced the DMD with one from a friend's Twilight Zone pin. Worked. Looking over the babcock branded display that was in there, it seems like a section of the board north of the power connectors was cooked. Should I be concerned for the currently working one?

I wouldn't worry too much, but I also wouldn't spend too much time trying to fix a 25+ year old plasma display. A color DMD is one of the best upgrades you can do for STTNG, but if you are on a tight budget you may want to consider a cheap monochrome LED display. Either way you go, the driver and display will generate less heat and use less power, its a win-win.

#2562 5 years ago

the left cannon is not finding home

fix the left cannon error (it's not the switches, and it's not a dirty opto, so I'm guessing something with the wiring or a cold joint)

There are no optos associated with this, and since this switch is not part of the cannon wiring harness AND you are sure that the switch is good. Then the solution is simple!

1) The 8 driver PCB is NOT sending the column 9 pulse to the left gun home switch (J5-1 (VIO-WHT) to SW97)
2) The 8 driver PCB is NOT passing the closed switch data (SW97) to the CPU (J5-1 (VIO-WHT) to J209-8 (WHT-VIO))

EDIT:
3) The cam is not actually closing the switch when the gun rotates to home (switch would function in edge test when manually pressed, but fail to operate on its own) Mechanical adjustment of the home bracket and/or switch positioning on the bracket.

#2565 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Yes, those are optos. I think pinguy meant that there are no optos associated with the cannon finding the home position but if the opto is closed or not working it thinks a ball is there and will try to clear it.

Correct. When you say the cannon cant find home I assume you are getting an error seeing a X "cannon cant find home" error, or you are seeing a home switch error in canon test.

A failed cannon opto will cycle the cannon and fire the cannon coil repeatedly in an attempt to remove the ball from the cannon.

#2570 5 years ago

The price will drive whats acceptable and whats not.

Turn game on, see if balls stage properly and cannons park at home, play the game, look for maintenance alerts, run cannon test in diagnostics. Remove glass, block cannon opto (use paper or something), the cannon should rotate and coil should fire.

HEAD: Look for burnt connectors, corrosion on the CPU, wiring hacks, CPU board power mod (this is a sign of an issue that can haunt you later) Check condition of translight...these are hard to find anymore.

Playfield (TOP): check the ramps, inserts, and borg ship for damage.

Playfield (bottom) and cabinet: Look for cracks in subway, wiring hacks, overall condition.

#2574 5 years ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

Officially joining the club.

Congratulations and welcome aboard!

#2576 5 years ago

Debating about getting the Halmarkt ornaments

Don't debate it, they are inexpensive to buy and and mount yourself and look great.

Also, is there a good source for the dome cannon lights?

Good call, the domes look so much better!

DIY Info:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club?tq=dome&tu=pin_guy

#2578 5 years ago

Hallmark Romulan Warbird

This was asked for serveral months ago, and I finally found some time to get back to documenting the wiring for this mod; this of course meant making another ship

Ideal center of hole location:

After cutting the hole in the ship (easiest part), removing the circuit board, then completing the hole as previously documented here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/48#post-4547077

Start by identifying the the 4 pairs of wires (2 to each lamp) and soldering one wire from each lamp on each side of the ship together, and insulating them with heat shrink tubing.

DSC00574 (resized).JPGDSC00574 (resized).JPG

Go ahead and tuck them inside to get them out of the way. We now only have 4 lamp wires and our 2 power wires.

DSC00575 (resized).JPGDSC00575 (resized).JPG

Take the two lamp wires on the rear side of the ship and solder them to one of the green power wires (it doesn't matter which one you use) and insulate them with shrink tubing, then tuck them out of the way.

DSC00578 (resized).JPGDSC00578 (resized).JPG

The remaining 3 wires all need to connect together, but they aren't long enough to do so, you need to solder a jumper to one of the lamp wires at the front of the ship and feed it around to the rear.

DSC00580 (resized).JPGDSC00580 (resized).JPG

You can then solder the remaining 3 wires together and you're nearly done.

DSC00581 (resized).JPGDSC00581 (resized).JPG

All that's left to do is adding a connector and test the ship.
DSC00586 (resized).JPGDSC00586 (resized).JPG

#2585 5 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Normal for me if they fire when needed this should be okay.

This is not normal. 4 balls are stored in the trough in the 'game reset' position. The other two are stored under the playfield in the vertical up-kickers. Balls are loaded into the canons as needed during gameplay.

This is not entirely accurate, 3 balls are "staged" one in each of the VUK's leaving 3 in the trough.

The picture below shows where 3 of the 6 balls get staged:
Normal Matrix (resized).pngNormal Matrix (resized).png

And with all balls removed:
STTNG Switch Matrix-no balls (resized).jpgSTTNG Switch Matrix-no balls (resized).jpg

#2591 5 years ago

I guess next step would be to trace these red+green wires to see where they are connected, but does anyone have an idea what could be going on?

ArcadeDanger Since you just acquired this machine the list of possibilities is much longer than if it was known to be working and stoped on its own.

The big question here is this ... "Is your Right Ramp Flasher (SOL 42) also out?"
The reason for this question is both of these flashers operate differently than all other flashers in the game as that they are controlled by the 8-Driver PCB assembly (aka Aux Driver Board) located in the upper right corner of the back box. If both of these flashers are out, you likely have a disconnected connector at J3 on the the Aux Driver board, or at the Z connector that ties these tow connections into the rest of the lamp matrix.

If only one of these flashers is out, you can have an issue with its driver Q9 (TIP102), or even a bad ribbon cable causing a dropout of data bit 4 (romulan flasher control signal) into the aux driver board at J1...best way to check for this is to flip over the ribbon cable between the aux driver J1 and cpu J204. THIS MUST BE DONE AT BOTH ENDS OF THE CABLE !!!

Aux Driver Board - Romulan (resized).jpgAux Driver Board - Romulan (resized).jpg
#2596 5 years ago

Now, I am not sure if this really is a big issue and I should bother, but I am wondering if this is the cause why on the shuttle mini game I constantly hit the walls (maybe my reaction time is just way too slow).

The picture shows that the UPPER LEFT flipper switch wiring is sitting in the bottom of the cabinet...while there is no upper left flipper, this switch is still used for some functions ... like moving the shuttle left in video mode.

Rules. Are you guys playing with 3 or 5 balls per game. The original game card reads 5 balls per game on my machine, but I have it set on 3.

It's your machine, set it however you want to. If you start reaching The Final Frontier every game, you will want to set it lower. For those time you really really want one more ball, you always have your buy in button for an extra ball ... unless you disable it.

#2599 5 years ago

Not connected is the grey and yellow wire which appears to be +12V. Guess those were the 12V for the opto boards that I am missing.

ahh, I couldn't tell from the picture that there are multiple wires soldered to the connector on the switch. It should work fine as it is, I can only speculate on the why, I assume it would have to do with increasing reliability of the flippers.

#2602 5 years ago

One more question (for now). I am debating about adding an NVRAM, is there any time related game items that would be affected by this? I cannot seem to see any, since the only thing I can find on time is the time and date display in attract mode.

Nope. It just keeps the time.

This is not an easy change as the RAM isn't socketed and this the pads and traces are tiny. I've seen many boards destroyed in the attempt, so if you aren't 100% sure that you can do it without damaging the board...just don't do it.

#2604 5 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

I've never had a WPC so I don't know if that's normal:

looks normal.

Possible causes of intermittent failures

1) Cannon Mark switch failure

2) Cannon wiring failure

#2610 5 years ago

But, not sure if this is ColorDMD related, but since I installed it, I have an intermittent issue.
Sometimes, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason behind when it happens, the ball when entering the underground subway system from behind the borgship won't eject anymore. This seems to be in particular when there is multiple balls in the game.
Nothing obviously happens till all the balls that are still in the game drain, and then the machine goes into search mode for the ball. Mysterious about this, it appears as if the hidden ball won't fire on top on the first round of all the coils firing, but on the second round.
On the 2nd round the ball finally gets on top, and the coils stop firing eventually. This also has happened on initial launch when skill shot was selected.
Coil test 16, 17, and 18 seem to work fine.
Any thoughs?

This should not be related to the Color DMD install at all this machine should have more than enough power available for everything to operate including the ColorDMD. More than likely you do have a failed opto, the best way to identify this is to make all of the optical switches close all the time by removing all 6 balls and verifying they all register as closed; THEN, monitor your switch edge test and start moving around the playfield knocking on it to see if one changes state...you can also lift the playfield (all of the balls are removed) and start wiggling wires to see if you hear the switch state change sound in edge test...you can then look at the display to see which switch last changed.

#2613 5 years ago
Quoted from SaminVA:

My Power Driver Board still had original capacitors so I pulled the board and replaced all the bridge rectifiers and filter capacitors which brought my 12 volt unregulated voltage back up to over 12 volts

FWIW, I don't recommend anyone without EXPERT level board repair skills AND the proper soldering equipment make an attempt at replacing these snap-in caps. I also recommend not replacing them at all unless you are measuring excessive AC ripple on your DC line...if you don't know what this is or how to measure it, in all likelihood you shouldn't replace the capacitor.

#2616 5 years ago
Quoted from SaminVA:

I had 2 diverter problems with my game, one was sticking from dryed grease and the other was not adjusted properly. I have videos of those too.

I'm not trying to knock Sams Classics here but I've seen this video before and cringed when I saw how he was removing it. If you have to remove the subway, do yourself a solid here and just remove the 3 VUK's first to get them out of the way, then take out the subway. This gives you the opportunity to inspect and clean everything, while you have the VUKs out, you may as well clean all of the optos. After you removed all that ancient clay based grease, you will want to apply a TINY bit of PTFE synthetic grease to the diverter shafts buring reassembly. A dab the size of a pea on each shaft should be enough. Just like the VUKs, clean or replace all the optos, there is literally no reason not to do it while you have the assembly out of the game.

I also use Locktite 615 Epoxy on all of the set screws as I don't want the actuator arms to move at all after they are aligned.

#2622 5 years ago

I've looked underneath the switches seem to make contact, so I'm guessing it's something upstream.

Broken column 5 wire (Green Black), likely between right outer loop and right drop target bank. I'm assuming drop target and right outer loop are registering since you didn't mention any issues with them.

If I was a betting man, I would put my money on a broken wire on the top target of the right target bank (SW #54) as shown below:

#2637 5 years ago
Quoted from scooter8416:

the left gear box is missing a spacer from when it was new.

It doesn't look like there is any top side wear on the gear you would be spacing it away from, so if the gears all align properly you probably don't need it. Its possible that the two gearboxes are slightly different versions and the small washer is all you need in it.

#2640 5 years ago
Quoted from scooter8416:

Yes this ^ and when you drop the gear back on there is a huge gap. I thinking the idea of this spacer is to keep the faces of the gears from touching.

Probably, I try and not speculate on things not said. Since there is no mention of the gears contacting each other, and no visible signs that the gears were rubbing against each other, I had to take it that they were not.

There does seem to be some possible contact on the other gears though; however, this may just be that they haven't been cleaned yet.

I do have a couple of these lying around, I may take one apart just to see what they look like.

#2641 5 years ago
Quoted from scooter8416:

I've been working on rebuilding all the mechs in my game.

Question for scooter8416 : What grease are you going to use when you reseal the gearboxes?

#2645 5 years ago
Quoted from scooter8416:

Plan is to use this;

Found at HFT or Home Depot

That stuff is great, the only thing I use on pins

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-Synthetic-FamilyValue-kes-Super/dp/B000XBH9HI

#2649 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Got my new machine setup. The only issue I notice is the VUK that feeds the left cannon fires the ball into the outlane or even onto the apron (once). Either way it overshoots the cannon 50% of the time. Same coil on the right and that one is perfect. Any known fix?

Alignment issue, game angle too shallow, wrong coil stop, wrong plunger, bad coil...

#2658 5 years ago
Quoted from Groucho:

Anybody install a stronger coil in the shooter lane with the catapult mechanism ?

No, there is no reason you should every have to do this.

For anyone that is having power issues with the catapult, I always recommend replacing the coil stop. Unless your game is HUO, its possible that someone at some time installed the wrong one as it's unlikely they would have the correct one one on hand when making a repair since this part was only used by Bally/Williams in two places...ever. Having too short a coil stop gives the catapult too much throw, resulting in the ball being slammed into the rail causing it to loose a significant amount of its energy.

The correct part: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16886

Side note: I don't recommend grinding down this part, or the plunger to fix mushrooming.

#2663 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Also consider waxing your metal ramp. It changes a lot of the momentum coming off the catapult.

WARNING: {personal.experience} if you have a properly working catapult and wax your rails, your ball will have so much momentum (even with a 7.0 degree playfield) hitting the drop target, that it will not be able to return to the top lanes, but will bounce back to the right orbit lane. This is exactly how a NIB machine played in 1994.

#2666 5 years ago
Quoted from SDVmnt:

Am I missing something obvious?

You may have them on the wrong sides, one if specific for the left side, and the other is for the right side...they should have been labeled.

3 weeks later
#2683 5 years ago
Quoted from aahgo:

just finished doing a PF swap on my STTNG. Things are mostly okay, but I seem to have developed a short in one of the GI strings. I suspect that I did not re-connect the wiring to the pop bumper bulbs properly, as the pictures I took of this area were a little sketchy. Could someone let me know what is the proper wire color to each leg of the three P/B bulbs? Thanks!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-pop-bumper-lights

#2687 5 years ago
Quoted from VZSpyder:

It had never occured to me before that there could be different sizes of flippers! Where do I get replacements, and how do I make sure they are the right ones? And what rubber should I put on them?

Timerider already linked the proper flipper, I would go with the super bands https://www.pinballlife.com/1-12-standard-size-translucent-high-gloss-super-bands-flipper-rubber-17016.html instead of traditional rubber, these are much cleaner and IMO give you better ball control.

#2690 5 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

I would say too much ball control. Go with the titan ones. They are silicone and plays like a normal red rubber. The super bands are too sticky for my taste.

These are very "grabby" and competition players generally don't like them an I get that. Rule #1 in any correspondence is to "know your audiance" granted this is hard to do in a forum with a single post, and perhaps I misjudged the audience here; but this is an in home pin for a player that wants to enjoy the game and not have it as "the black sheep" of his collection. This is reason enough to use super bands, later on once hes tweaked the game an it has good flow, he can always change them out with anything he desires as flipper rubbers are super cheap.

< >

Special thanks to Hammerhead for giving me my 1st negative post in more posts than he has ever made on Pinside; and also thanks for not responding to the post at all to state your opinion as to why you disagree.

</ >

Perhaps I will do like others and just stop posting here...

1 week later
#2700 5 years ago

I need some help locating the "Borg Lock" switch. Anybody any idea where it is? Manual does not locate it and I cannot seem to find it, but it generates an error.

This is under the Borg ship cover attached to the Borg assembly, more than likely you are seeing an error from not locking a ball in the Borg ship in X number of games, just drop a ball in the ship from the Delta Ramp entrance an it will likely clear.

Also, does anybody have an idea where to get new VUK covers? My mission start metal bracket under the Borg ship fell apart into pieces.

This is a common problem, I got mine from Marco, its not spot welded like the original, so it should hold up better.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16626

#2704 5 years ago

Mine never has enough velocity to get all the way there and just drops down the wire ramp. I am wondering if my ramp is warped (no pun intended).

This is the single most difficult shot to make in this game. This could be a lack of power from the flipper, but there is a ball diverter that actuates when the Borg lock isn't lit that can cause some issues; if this diverter doesn't retract properly due to gummed up grease, broken return spring, misalignment, etc... it will kill the balls momentum and you will never be able to make this shot.

#2709 5 years ago
Quoted from mappy24:

does anyone know what part number screw should be in here?

Yes, after performing a "better than new" factory condition restoration of my machine and every assembly in it, I literally know every single part in the machine down to the most minute detail.

I can tell you at first glace the screws and self locking nut were never meant to be in this assembly...

EDIT: I linked the wrong parts information initially, I have a more detailed parts breakdown that lists every part that was used in every assembly, I'll try to dig it up but it could take me a bit to find it.

I believe the screw and washer are the same as used to connect the motor shaft to the plate, but without the proper reference material I can't guarantee it.
Screws: MS 8-32 x 3/8 PL-HH-S (4008-01168-06) https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4008-01168-06
Washers: FW .203 x.625 x .059 (4700-00023-00) https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4700-00023-00

#2711 5 years ago

Ok, since this is the screw that mounts the upper cannon assembly to the lower bracket assembly, this part could be listed as part of either assembly...or neither and fell through the cracks. I don't want to leave you hanging so here are the complete parts listing for both assemblies (NOTE With the exception of the bracker, Right and left assemblies share the same parts list) only the Right side assemblies are listed here:
Gun Assembly:
Bracket Assembly

#2713 5 years ago

I honestly believe these are the parts you need, but I cant prove it.

Screws: MS 8-32 x 3/8 PL-HH-S (4008-01168-06) https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4008-01168-06
Washers: FW .203 x.625 x .059 (4700-00023-00) https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4700-00023-00

#2715 5 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Who sells those extended outlanes for this game?

Only Pinbits has these, but they are sold out ATM:
https://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=306

#2719 5 years ago
Quoted from trumpy:

got mine from pinball centre a month ago

I stand corrected. Pinball Center (I never heard of them before) does have them, and they are in stock

#2724 5 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Has anyone put an NVRAM in their game? Do you have to solder in a new socket/chip or does the RAM pull out?

I have...
Original

Removed

Running Board with original RAM now socketed

On the original CPU the RAM was soldered in, if you have an aftermarket board it's likely socketed. Just toss in AA Lithium batteries in the holder and don't worry about it...if you cant help but worry...I will socket your board, install NVRAM, and give you a lifetime guarantee on this work for $50 +shipping. Keep in mind this conversion makes your RTC (Real Time Clock) function as an hour meter counting run hours from 01/01/70...it's up to you if this is a gain or loss in functionality.

#2728 5 years ago
Quoted from mappy24:

The left outlane kickback feature doesn't always successfully return the ball into play (will just drain anyway) and other times it will work but it can take 2 or 3 kicks to successfully return the ball. Is this a timing issue or should I just replace the coil even though it seems strong in test mode?

take it out of the game clean it, replace the coil stop and sleeve then make sure everything is tight. when you put it back in the machine make sure it is properly aligned so the plunger doesnt hit the ball guide and you should be good to go. Coils rarely fail, and when they do, you can usually tell as the sleeve is melted or the coil winding is broken and it doesn't fire. If you want to verify the coil, its an AE-23-800 so should measure 4.1 ohms across the windings.

Exploded View:
1117 (resized).JPG1117 (resized).JPG

Assembled:
1118 (resized).JPG1118 (resized).JPG

Installed:

#2742 5 years ago
Quoted from mappy24:

Later last night, I went into the single switch test and noticed that #47 was stuck open again, blocking the opto with a piece of paper did nothing.

First thing you need to know when troubleshooting these is that they read closed when the beam is NOT blocked, so blocking a switch that's already reading blocked (open) will have no effect.

Quoted from mappy24:

I'm thinking next time this happens, get a camera on the opto to check for signs of life? Or a multimeter to check voltages.

This is the logical next step, with the intermittent nature, it sure seems like a wiring/connector issue; although it could also be a weak opto transmitter or dirty optics.

The following images should contain everything you need to isolate the problem.

Optics (resized).pngOptics (resized).png
Optical Emitter (resized).pngOptical Emitter (resized).png
Opto receiver (resized).pngOpto receiver (resized).png

#2754 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I'd prefer to make it a little more accessible for players at these shows but I refuse to put outlane extenders on it, other than setting the left kick-back to always on (kinda lame) and a longer ball-save timer are there any suggestions for making is easier but not too easy?

Lane extenders by no means stop drains, while its impossible to say what percentage they save, I would be shocked if its higher than 1 in 4. Unfortunately, this game, by design, severely punishes missed shots with a SDTM or lane drain; there is very little that can be done to offset it.

#2756 5 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Picked up my STTNG this past week

CONGRATULATIONS Captain and welcome aboard!

Quoted from RobF:

I do have a few questions for the experienced owners;

I've worked on this machines once or twice.

Quoted from RobF:

1) Does the lowest pop bumper normally have a colored cap? Mine does not and the ring movement has eaten into the beta ramp sticker. What helps mount the ramp high enough to not interfere with the bumper?

No, this game shipped with only 2 covers on the pops. There simply inst room for the 3rd; most folk cut one to fit and add it as it looks naked without one. Nothing should be hitting the ramp; is it possible something is not assembled correctly?

Quoted from RobF:

2) Sometimes the game chirps loudly on power up/down. I was looking at another game last year that had this issue as well. I haven't researched this one to know if this is common or not.

Totally normal.

Quoted from RobF:

3) Are there missions in the game where 2 balls are kicked out? I have this happen from time to time. I don't understand the game rules enough to know if this could be normal behavior. I have been just assuming it is more voodoo opto issues to track down.

I believe all of the Neutral Zone modes are 2 ball multiball missions with an add-ball-feature on the Ferengi Mode.

Quoted from RobF:

4) Sometimes the game loses a ball in the subway. Last time this happened I ran switch and coil tests and all were functioning proper, but the ball was floating around somewhere. My question is, is there a known spot on the subway that can cause a ball to not travel all the way through to the cannons or left vuc? I tried to look in the coin door to see where the ball was, but couldn't see it. When I tilted the PF up, of course the ball rolled back and was easy to extract. Under all other conditions, the subway works perfectly.

There are multiple reasons this can occur, the most common are subway diverter alignment, old dried up grease or bad springs preventing them from retracting properly, or subway to VUK alignment issues that causes the ball to hang at the transition point.

Quoted from RobF:

5) The launcher only makes the lock hole shot maybe 50% of the time. Any tips for improving that?

There are numerous reason this can happen and many are documented in this thread.

Quoted from RobF:

I already cleaned and lubed the catapult mech.

This isnt one of them, there is absolutely no part of this mechanism that should be lubricated, the only spots on any pinball machine that should ever be lubricated is where you have metal-to-metal moving parts (like the cannon and diverter shafts)

#2761 5 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

I agree with the sentiment in general, but let me explain a little more. When I first got the machine the launch would make the hole exactly 0% of the time. Keep in mind the drop target is broken in the down position. After studying the physics a little and manipulating the ball exit, it was pretty clear that it wasn't coming through with enough oomph to completely follow the orbit. When I checked the launch mechanism I found there was quite a bit of resistance when moving by hand. I took the assembly apart, cleaned and polished the plunger, cleaned the tube, and noticed the two pivot points on the cup arm were not smooth. On disassembly, there was obvious signs of previous grease that was dirty and dried out. I cleaned the pivots and put a thin film of new grease in it's place. After this, the launcher worked much better and was hitting the hole maybe 90%. It was a huge improvement. It wasn't until I realigned and tied down the wireform that the hit rate dropped to 50%.

There are just too many variables here too give any single conclusive answer on what is stealing the balls energy, it may be a little bit from lots of places. The only thing I can tell you with 100% certainty is that if you align everything correctly, and rebuild the catapult with the right parts (double check that the part you have are correct) it should operate flawlessly.

Parts List:

Links to parts (items highlighted in red above are not listed here)
Parts highlighted in green are sub parts used to build the item listed directly above them

Note: I'm sure you don't need every part.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-12293
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16886
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/AE-23-800
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-8413-1
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4301
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7066
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7655-4
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8089
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-135
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-8712-31
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/38-6577
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/23-6622
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4004-01003-12
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4010-01066-06
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4700-00005-00
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4700-00104-00
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4701-00004-00
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/1N4004
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5647-12133-08

#2765 5 years ago
Quoted from mappy24:

Is there an idiots guide to exactly what parts should be lubricated in this machine?

Yes...All moving parts that make Metal on Metal contact. this would be the subway diverter shafts, cannon shafts, Borg diverter shaft, and the slide rails.

Use a good synthetic PTFE grease on the above mentioned parts and you should never have to reapply grease to these parts...that being said, 30 years from now whoever is restoring the machine will want to clean and re-grease these parts

#2769 5 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

I have already replaced two on my newly acquired game. I am ordering up a pile of of these guys for spares.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Semiconductors/VSLB4940?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsn8wIhgY8aVaM3i806UG0n6rOUbET7jt%252BgXOm7wJm%252BtQ%3D%3D

These may work but are not an ideal replacement as the wavelength is not a match to the photo transistor (880nm)

The exact replacement is QED123 this part has the ideal wavelength with a very narrow beam angle (8 degrees) https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ON-Semiconductor-Fairchild/QED123?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvAL21a%2FDhxMh7mfA56bpVlNrxBWbhazdE%3D

#2775 5 years ago
Quoted from BCpinhead:

New to the club! Rescued mine off route!

Congratulations and welcome aboard! I do like seeing these rescued from the wild and your machine appears to be in very good shape.

Quoted from BCpinhead:

Still trying to figure out the correct function of the top drop down target.

The drop target is up at ball launch (unless you select probe or ball lock on launch). The drop target stays down after being hit during play (except at ball launch) in order to light ball lock for Borg Multiball, it will then raise after locking a ball.

The game expects there to always be a ball located in each VUK; so at the end of a game, or on power up if staged balls aren't seen in the ALL 3 VUKs, the drop target will lower and the game will autolaunch balls into the hole behind the drop target in order to stage a ball under each of the three VUKs; subway and VUK opto malfunctions are the primary cause of a failure in this area.

#2784 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Most people prefer the LCD versions of colorDMD rather than the LED version because you set several different modes. Sadily; I can't find a video explaining / contrasting the different types of "dot" modes.

I prefer large dots, which is what the video above appears to be set to.

#2785 5 years ago

Hmmmm...I wonder if I can make a special 3 connector ribbon cable to simultaneously drive ColorDMD LED and LCD displays for a side-by-side comparison.

#2797 5 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

I noticed that my center mission start shot has a rattly sound to it. Upon further inspection, I found the assembly isn't locked together and separates easily on both sides. Is this normal and if not, what is the recommended repair method?

This is normal in the sense that the MANY of the originals are broken.

Quoted from BriPin:

Mine was the same way when I got it. You can have it re-welded or buy the improved version. I went with the Mantis scoop

https://mantispinball.com/product/star-trek-the-next-generation-mission-start-scoop/

You can also get this from Marco, linked here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/54#post-4854624

#2799 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

I worked on my neighbors STTNG and his scoop had all the spot welds broken. I took it to a local weld shop and the guy charged me 20$. He also made continuous welds on it as opposed to the original spot welds. He had also regrained the scoop. Thing turned out super nice.

I'm glad to hear it worked out, but for those reading this thread, be forewarned, your welding experience may be drastically different.

#2806 5 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

Which opto?....

Hi STTNG fans. Logic question for the group. Which opto do you predict is failing in the following situation: upon boot up, the catapult launches a ball and goes into the trough, and then the left in lane ball popper pops a ball to left drain line. The cycle repeats over and over. It’s like the normal ball reset procedure but it just happens over and over...

Is it possible to predict which Opto is the culprit?

This is more than likely a subway diverter issue and not an opto problem. Its super easy to figure out if its an opto problem, first remove all balls, then go into switch edge test and and drop a ball into each of the 3 VUKs one at a time...if all 3 register this is definitely not opto related,; drop the remaining 3 balls into the trough and when you leave diagnostic mode, you will also see the ball launch behavior has stopped as all three staged balls are loaded.

1 week later
#2821 5 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

My question to the group, what has the community done to deal with the upper part of the LCD panel blocking part of the translite?

Nothing, no part of this should block any of the translight and the light board should open freely.

1 week later
#2835 5 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Question from a dummy who apparently didn't take enough pictures. Where on earth does this plastic piece go? I've scoured photos online and can't find Waldo (except on very blurry one from a mid-teardown that isn't helpful enough).

#2842 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

The hallmark is not dropin compatible with the gi.
You need current limiting at a min or it will burn out in hours.

I have not seen this to be the case, my BOP is directly wired to the GI and has been for years without issue; prior to wiring it to my machine I measure the AC voltage that was being applied to to the ornament from a set of Christmas tree lights and found the voltage was almost identical to the machines GI voltage.

The wings linked by Zitt look awesome ... I'm just too cheap to buy them.

1 week later
#2856 5 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

These have two sets of optos each on them but I don't see a way to clean them without taking the whole assembly off the playfield and then removing the optos. Is this really the only way to do this? If so, is it something I should do while I have the subway off?

These assemblies are very easy to remove with the subway off, each one has a single molex connector and 4 screws, they come right off.

1131 (resized).JPG1131 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#2871 5 years ago

I HAVE SHOCKING NEWS...I'VE DECIDED MY COLORDMD HAS GOT TO GO!

Yep it's true; after much research, testing, and polls (my wife) I have decided that the appearance for the Color LED provides a far superior image to the Color LCD display for this title. I intend to provide side-by-side test comparisons in the near future...but I do get distracted easily.

#2882 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Does anyone else ever get to this point and think "what the @#^&amp; did I get myself into"? =)

ACK! Doing this without a rotisserie is inconceivable:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/23#post-3577357

DIY Pinball rotisserie in less than an hour on a tight budget:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-swap-without-rotissary/page/2#post-2901464

#2885 4 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

The previous owner of my machine installed inline fuses on each of those coils. I was planning to do this:

Interesting approach, I don't believe this will save the 8 driver board transistors but may keep the coils from melting as well as minimize damage to the 8 driver board to just blown transistors (no smoke).

#2887 4 years ago

There seems to be a lot of confusion on what this wire does ... Ill try and break this down...

Quoted from ajfclark:

Doesn't the aux 8 driver board burn itself because it loses the 50v?

NO. The aux driver burns up because this tieback wire is what connects the flyback diodes back to the coils. When a coils field collapses a very large voltage opposite in polarity to the source voltage is created; this negative voltage forward biases the flyback diode allowing current to flow through it and back to the coil where the energy is dissipated as heat; without this wire the large voltage spike hammers the drive transistor and is of sufficient voltage to destroy it.

Quoted from ajfclark:

Wouldn't moving the 50v tieback to a vibration free part of the machine greatly reduce the risk of it disconnecting?

Yes. This is a good way to go. From an engineering standpoint a soldered wire is always better than a connector. I assume Williams decided to go this way to remove the human element from the equation as a technician missing the tieback connector when replacing a power board would end up causing the same damage as the broken tieback wire does.

The best way to go is to install the flyback diodes directly on the coil itself, this way the high voltage pulse is handled at the source; again there is a human element added as miswiring this diode/coil will cause immediate damage to both the diode and drive transistor.

Quoted from ajfclark:

Or do you mean the inline fuses not the additional connector?

Yes, I was talking about the fuses as the fuse needs to be large enough to last during normal operation so it isn't going to blow until the drive transistor is locked on.

#2889 4 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

I think you've misunderstood what I asked or I've misunderstood what you've written.

I understood you perfectly.

EDITED:
I probably didn't explain it well; I knew I should have made a picture of what I was trying to describe.

If flyback diode D13 (and the 3 other diodes connected to the coils controlled by the 8 driver PCB) were located on the coils themselves, the tieback wire would not be needed as its sole purpose in life is to dissipated the voltage created by the coils connected to the aux driver when their fields collapse; this wire is only needed because the flyback diodes are on the 8 driver board.

more info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyback_diode

#2892 4 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

I don't understand is why the wire pointed to by the purple +50v arrow on the far right is there at all? Isn't pin 1 on J4 supplied +50v from the top of page?

It comes from the power driver board J107-1

#2899 4 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

If there's power here:

pasted_image (resized).png

Why do we need power here at all:

pasted_image (resized).png

Or is the first in just the logical representation and the other was added in the second?

The point you are referencing on the a driver board comes from your 50V source at J107-1 on the power driver board, through the tieback wire connected to J4-1; there is no other source of 50V on the aux driver board. The the only reason you have 50V there is because its the voltage on the coil and its only there because the flyback diodes are located on this board and they must be connected across the coils in order to discharge the high voltage pulse that's generated when to coil power is removed and its field collapses.

#2900 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Back in the club as of yesterday!

Welcome back!

#2901 4 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

Figured I'd ask here to get the most knowledgeable answer. I'm thinking about bringing the project STTNG pin in the marketplace back to life : https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/78268 STTNG has been on my list for awhile, but I can't justify the price they are currently going for.

This machine was kept in a damp environment for a LONG time ... I can only imagine how musty the cabinet smells

My thoughts are this:
I like that it has all original boards although the CPU is done for.
The playfield appears to be in fairly good shape, I don't see any ghosting around the shield inserts which is common for this game.
This game is going to be a corrosion nightmare, most of the upper playfield parts are stainless so will clean up pretty well, the underside is a different animal and the lamp sockets are going to be very problematic as once corrosion gets in them the only real fix is replacing them.

Since it doesn't boot, you have no way to know what all is wrong, you will need to get the game to a working state BEFORE you begin the restoration so you can find out what all you have to fix during the restoration as well as know what stopped working because of the restoration.

IMO the current owner paid way too much for it, I would be hesitant to purchase it at all without seeing it in person, and even then assuming I didnt find anything not in the pictures, I wouldn't want to spend more than $2500 for it in its current condition and wouldn't spend more than $2800. I wouldn't be surprised if it cost you at least $2000 ($3000 if you replace the playfield) on top of what the machine cost you to restore it to new condition.

#2911 4 years ago

Have you tried adjusting it? The round potentiometer (R2) controls the sensitivity, you turn it until the light comes on, then back it off until the light just goes out.

1 week later
#2927 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Waiting for pin_guy to answer your question in 3, 2, 1.........

LOL...

I believe these plastics did have a bend to them when the machines left the factory. If you want them to be straight (who wouldnt?) all you need to do is add washers to take up the extra space...keep in mind if you add a plastic protective washer to the straight post you are amplifying the problem. I put my clear protective washers to the star posts as well as adding star post lighting (you wont be sorry) to offset the differences in length and it looks great! https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/4#post-2885291

#2929 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Would star post lighting installation be difficult for an accountant with limited mechanical experience &amp; skills?

you only have to solder the wires to the GI light under the slingshot plastic; if you know how to solder its simple, and would take less than a minute.

#2935 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Both aren’t working correctly. Replace the transmitter for both. I am not getting power to either switch.

Are you not getting power to the IR LED, or to the photo transistor board? What points are you measuring to determine this?
Optical Emitter (resized).pngOptical Emitter (resized).pngOpto receiver (resized).pngOpto receiver (resized).png

Ignoring the voltage reading as a potential issue, the most like failure point to cause a failure of both switches would be a broken connection between J5-3 (row outputs) on the 16 opto board and J209-3 (row inputs) on the CPU board.

#2942 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

ccording to the switch matrix that switch 37 is on the white/violet wire but I don’t see that color wire on the opt.. I see a grey/yellow, black, orange/black, and grey/purple attached to the transmitter and receiver -colors could be off I am recalling from memory earlier. Am I reading this switch matrix wrong?

I thought the 2-opto VUKS have the same part number and are interchangeable, this would meant they have the same wire colors; if I'm incorrect on this, then someone may have swapped the positions of two of the VUKs since they are mechanically and electrically identical. See Images:
1131 (resized).JPG1131 (resized).JPG
1132 (resized).JPG1132 (resized).JPG

Quoted from pacman11:

But my question is once it goes into the 16opt controller board the wires must come out of the board a different color for that switch back to the cpu correct? I get continuity from the switch to the 16opt controller board, but when I go from the switch 37 to the cpu I don't get continuity. Any thoughts?

#2951 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Did I miss something and you fixed the problem where you have 12V at the emitter instead of ~1.5V but the switch still doesn't work? If you point your cell phone camera at the emitter is it glowing?

If you have 12V at the emitter there is no need to see if the LED is glowing as the circuit is not drawing any current.

#2952 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

The voltage isn’t correct on the transmitter it says -12

Sorry, I missed this information from your earlier post. Since you are measuring -12V you have your test leads backwards with the red lead on ground (black wires).

Why you have a reading of 12V...

12V is the source voltage for the circuit, however there is a current limiting resistor on the opto board that drops the forward voltage going to the IR LED to roughly 1.4V (there are many variables); this is a good thing as the maximum rated voltage for this specific part is 1.7V.

There is only two things that can cause this reading...
1) The IR LED is blown open ... this is an extremely rare failure mode for a diode.

OR

2) The diode is installed backwards or miswired placing the positive voltage on cathode and ground on the anode resulting in a reverse biased condition preventing any current flow through the diode.

I can see from your posted image that the second condition is true as you clearly have the black wires (ground) on the anode (A) and the source voltage (current limited 12V) on the cathode (K). Reverse the positions of these two wires and it should work fine.

#2954 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Ya see, I usually just tune out of these technical discussions for STTNG one you start replying but in this case I noticed something was amiss so I jumped back in JUST enough to get you primed again!

I'm glad you did as you mentioned a 12V reading and I was like ..."wait, what 12V reading...."

#2956 4 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Would someone be kind enough to post a couple pictures of the cannon launch limit switches installed (the switches that prevents firing)?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/36#post-3908111

#2963 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

an opto in the ball through is not working so this need to be fixed and he doesn’t have the knowledge to do so (I am on the West coast so I can’t fix it)

If these are original (non hacked) boards I can repair them for him; tell him to contact me and I will provide shipping instructions for him to send me both his opto boards; I will test/repair them both then send them back to him (shipping included) for $20.

#2964 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Machine is located just NE of Pittsburgh, PA. He wants to sell to put the money towards a TZ. So he will sell outright or trade for TZ (+cash obviously).

I would consider trading my fully restored to better than new condition STTNG for a TZ ... just saying

#2965 4 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Pshhh. More like $4,500 - $5,000 range.

I'm not trying to knock the machine as it appears to be in decent shape for its age, but there is no way to estimate a value without seeing the entire machine.

I'm wouldnt jump on giving it any value so soon without having pictures of the under playfield wiring, backbox boards and connectors, neutral zone hole (single highest damage spot in the game) etc... the game also has no mods at (not that that's bad), cabinet and head damage, insert ghosting, something odd going on with the lock in the head (never seen that before).

#2971 4 years ago

I have to assume the price reflects upon folks having bad experiences with this game from either broken features or the hard drains this machine can have that keep this machine on the low end of Williams Super Pins. IMHO Williams hit a grand slam with this title.

#2974 4 years ago

Once in a while, my pin goes into ball search mode, and it won't come out of it. Only way to end it, is turning it on and off.

Next time it does this, don't turn it off; instead, open the coin door and go into switch test and take a picture of the switch matrix. Then find out where the balls are actually located...by comparing their true location to what the matrix is telling you should give you much insight into the issue. If you post the matrix picture here, I'm sure someone will tell you whats going on.

#2980 4 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Hope someone can help me, I've lost my GI. I played a game without issue on Saturday morning, then played another game later in the afternoon and the GIs were out. I didn't touch anything. In test the inserts, flashers, and backbox lights all work fine, just no GIs.

This appears to be something bigger than just bad fuses. Any ideas?

First off ... read the General Illumination Problems found at this link http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#General_Illumination_Problems ... there is a lot of good info here.

There are 5 sets of GI lights each with its own fuse; what you need to do is look for a common failure point; there are a couple of things that cause cause this and range for easy to really bad.

The BAD:
Failure of your transformers 6.3 VAC secondary winding. This is extremely rare.

Easy:
Bad ribbon cable between CPU and PDB - flip it over and see what happens
Disconnected GI lighting cable from the transformer
Transformer (resized).jpgTransformer (resized).jpg

Moderate:
Failure of PDB U1

#2987 4 years ago

Following up as I’m still stumped. Everything seems to be testing fine. I did a factory reset. Is it possible this minor time difference is the culprit???

According to the video, the are operating correctly.

how exactly do you adjust these switches?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/36#post-3908111

#3002 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

I have no idea where to source the wire to make it myself.

Just use any stranded wire CAT5E or 6 patch cable...

50' - 8 conductor ... $10 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E8CEGI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

You can easily make 15 pairs of cannon looms ... roughly 3 for $1

#3004 4 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Does anyone have any ideas of how almost all of the GIs would spontaneously stop working all at the same time, and it doesn't appear to be aboard issue?

How would I go about checking the transformer 6.3 VAC?

The only non-board issue that would cause this is your lighting connectors or transformer. You check the transformer in exactly the same manner as you checked the 6.3VAC to the power board, just at the other end of the cable.

1)Turn off the game

2) disconnect the lighting connector from the transformer. Note: one side of the transformer has yellow wires, the other has Yellow-White wires
DSC00628 (resized).JPGDSC00628 (resized).JPG

You can ohm these out, but what fun is that...

3) Inspect the connector on both sides, if burned or corroded replace the connector.
Lighting Pins (resized).jpgLighting Pins (resized).jpg
Transformer Pins (resized).jpgTransformer Pins (resized).jpg

4) Set your meter to AC Volts and measure the voltage from the transformer by putting one lead in each side of the lighting secondary...I chose 9 and 7 because they were the easiest to get on.

5) Turn game on
DSC00630 (resized).JPGDSC00630 (resized).JPG

You should measure around 8VAC with no load applied.

#3006 4 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

Pin_guy beat me to it in far more detail.

#3008 4 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Why 7 and 9? per the schematic 7 is White-Yellow and 9 is Orange. Shouldn't it be 4 and 9? Or 7 and 5?

You are looking at the wrong side; ALL of these wires are yellow not white (one side of the secondary winding has white stripes). You have to measure across the secondary winding, consult the wiring diagram in the WPS schematic I attached. One side of the winding connects to pins 1, 4, and 7. the other side connects tp pins 3, 6, 9, 5.

You can use any combination you like 1-3, 1-6, 1-9, 1-5, 4-3, 4,6, 4-9, 4-5, 7-3, 7-6, 7-9, or 7-5; like I said I measured 7-9 as they were easiest since they were on top.

#3010 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Hmmmm...I wonder if I can make a special 3 connector ribbon cable to simultaneously drive ColorDMD LED and LCD displays for a side-by-side comparison.

Why yes, yes I can!

The results is I was able to clearly see that the Color LED is the clear winner for STTNG and everyone that has seen these two displays running at the same time agreed that the colors of the were more vibrant than the LCR, which looked washed out by comparison. I did my best to attempt to capture the ColorDMD LED display, but the way cameras adjust for changing brightness and contrast the video lack the "WOW factor" you get from seeing the actual display.

Anyways, here's the video link; if you are looking at this upgrade for your machine, either display is a great enhancement, but I highly recommencement the LED and its a little cheaper as well which in this case is a win-win.

The LED version is on top with the LCD (Large DOTS) on the bottom; this is a 2GB 16min long video that contains nearly every video image in the game, I hope you enjoy it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TxcL19w5B5pTPhWWjX3OIj1VY0GFL82E

#3017 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I don't think the LED looks better than the LCD.

I know, the video is unable to capture the vibrance and clarity of the LED over the LCD; this is why there is few videos available that attempt to capture this.

Quoted from Zitt:

Given you've put the camera at an angle; makes me suspect that the LED is just too bright.

or... I couldn't play the machine if there was a tripod in front of it, so had to side shift it.

Quoted from Zitt:

What you haven't mentioned is that with the LED; you don't have the option of selecting different dot styles at tall.

I made the assumption that anyone trying to decide between an LED or LCD would already know this.

Quoted from Zitt:

STNG was the first LCD ColorDMD I purchased. I'm happy with my purchase and this video comparison really doesn't change that decision

This was also my first color LCD purchase and the video wouldn't have changed my mind either; I'll see if I can play with camera settings and grab some still images with the camera in front if the displays; if anyone out there knows whatmanual camera settings you need to photograph lighting, please let me know.

It's pinball playing time!

#3021 4 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

All right, made some progress. At least its not the transformer. I got most of the GI working, but nothing on the purple wire works. Testing at J120/J121 gets 0V AC on purple, where all the others now are at 6.8V. F106 tests okay, so the search continues.

okay...so you are placing one lead on J120/J121-6 or J120/J121-11 ? where is the other lead?

Please measure between J121-6 and J121- 11 if its good there playfield issue, if not...board issue.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3022 4 years ago

HOLY $#!+ ... Look what I just found on ebay!

If you do any type of board work on WPC games, you will immediately know what this is and where it goes

ebay.com link: itm

EDIT: Even with shipping added this is < 0.31 each If I had any spare time I would buy all of these and relist them with the WPC part numbers for this and the matching connector for $5/pair

#3024 4 years ago

So, where do they go? The dmd?

This is the trough photo transistor board connector.

#3034 4 years ago

Check for a loose connection on the opto board; may want to repunch the wires into the IDC connector.

#3042 4 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Not really a hack, just one of the ways to repair burned or traces lifted when that transistor was replaced.

not really, this is a hack repair as there is the right way to repair a board and then there is this way; that being said, this was still not likely caused by the repair to the board, but a failure of the repair "technician" to realize that the blown transistor was a symptom of the problem and not the cause.

#3044 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Another symptom then showed up. To start the next ball, it sent two balls immediately (back to back fires of the vuk) into the catapult, so I had two balls in there together.

This is likely still caused by the same issue as the game is counting X balls in trough + X balls in VUK's = 6, regardless of there being a ball sitting on the catapult lane switch.

#3055 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Can anyone tell me how the diverter that I’m pointing to should be positioned with the power off? Inside or outside of the trough?

Also should the green coil below be a 25-1000 instead of a 26-1200?

It should be against the inside wall.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/16#post-3349152

#3057 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Lower the PF and shimmy the post out

If you have to do this you already know what the issue is...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/5#post-2938877

FWIW, I personally wouldn't do it this way and those of you that follow my posts already know I am very detail oriented; I would remove the cannon and wiring from the game (4 screws + 3 connectors), then work on the mechanical stuff out of the game since I would likely be using strong solvents to remove all the old grease and wouldn't want to risk getting any of it on my playfield.

Of course I would them tumble all the metal parts to get them shiny and new looking as well

At the end of the day it's your machine and it's entirely up to you on how you want to work on it.

The following aren't my pictures but if ou are going to take it apart to clean and re-grease it, this is what the parts should look like before you put it back together:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/5#post-2936932

#3065 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

does anyone know what wattage the resistors are? I only had 1/4w and 1w resistors and I thought the existing ones were 1/2w so I ended up putting in new 1w resistors (R52 didn't measure 100k so I thought that might have been the cause.

I believe you are chasing a red herring here as this area of the board performs isolation and pulse symmetry of your column pulses which are in turn used to trigger the outputs of the LM399s. Any problems in this area of the board would cause significant issues (half the optos not registering) The signal you are reading at R59 is the column drive to half the board, you need either an oscilloscope or logic probe to see it.

#3069 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

Well i guess if things are still broken (very likely) after he puts the board back in he's going to have to wait till my next paycheck when I can buy a new scope. I'm not lugging my archaic Techtronix 468 or whatever it is all the way to his place. I just need to get a more modern scope that isn't a literal boat anchor.

It is possible that it may be fixed as the Borg Lock circuit does go through the U2 LM399 that I believe was replaced; if its still not working after that it may be beneficial to recheck all all of the connection to the opto board.

#3070 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

I didn't notice till much later that you'd actually found a page that has a parts list. Where did you find that? It's not in the manual i have and the 16 opto boards isn't in my WPC schematic books either.

All parts information is in section 2 of the manual; the opto board is on page 2-15.

#3077 4 years ago
Quoted from humberto:

1) The pin J107-1 (in the WPC Power Driver board) had a wire running to the J4-1 (in the 8-Driver PCB) [Yellow arrows in the pic]

This is a fix for the 8 driver board tieback circuit; there are cleaner ways to do it, but the way yours is done is widely accepted by the community.

Quoted from humberto:

A high power (5w or 10 by the size) ceramic resistor was soldered to the ends of the fuse in F103 [Red arrow in the pic]

This should be an easy fix.

Quoted from humberto:

Does anybody know what was the purpose of the kludge? And should I restore it? Is it compensating for something amiss in the 8-Driver PCB?

Williams used the tiny VIO/GRN wire connected to the dropdown target to provide the connection path for the coils flyback diodes; the problem is that vibrations from the drop target actions caused this wire to break resulting in no flyback circuit; without the flyback diode in the circuit, the first time a coil de-energized, the high voltage pulse is of sufficient voltage to destroy the drive transistor causing it to short and lock the coil on, the coils then melt from the heat before the fuse can blow; often times you also end up with significant damage to the 8 driver board.

EDIT: Do a search in this forum for "tieback" and you will find a lot of information on why this wire is there.

#3078 4 years ago
Quoted from humberto:

1. There is no power (measured from J107-1 to the proper pins in J4) for the low powered solenoids.

The drive transistors are shorted and are providing a ground potential to J107-1...this should cause its fuse to blow.

Quoted from humberto:

2. The machine is stuck in a "locating balls" patter where it shoots a ball, it get in the top hole, gets returned by the Left Popper, falls in the bottom and the cycle repeats.

The machine is attempting to prestage balls to the 3 VUK's but cant since the subway diverters have failed.

Quoted from humberto:

3. The right cannon cannot find home (unrelated?)

Unrelated

#3080 4 years ago
Quoted from humberto:

Now I disconnected the kludge cable, replaced the fuse in F104 and I'm waiting for new solenoid to arrive for the Divertors.

DO NOT INSTALL THESE ... You must repair the cause of the missing 50V to the 8 driver board AND repair the blown transistors on the 8 driver board or you are going to melt your new coils...assuming the fuse isnt instantly blowing from the current board failures. YOu may want to take a good look at the 8 driver board and evaluate if there is any physical damage.

#3082 4 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

And for the love of God don't remove this this unless you like your boards extra toasty.

I think its too late

#3085 4 years ago
Quoted from humberto:

This means the resistor does not belong there, right?

God no, it looks like they may have used a fast blow fuse but put a resistor in parallel to make it a slow blow. If you put the right fues in and it blows you have another issue to repair.

Quoted from humberto:

Is this due to the Tieback being disconnected? Because the fuse blew before my clumsy intervention.

Yes, of the tieback is missing, then the drive transistors fail and lock on the coils causing them to melt; unfortunately, the fuse usually doesn't blow until after significant damage has been done. Hopefully I'm wrong on this one.

Quoted from humberto:

Ok. I assumed as much. Besides visual inspection, is there any practical way to check these specific transistors? I have basic electronics knowledge, a multimeter and maybe an oscilloscope lying somewhere

Excellent, there is a very easy way to check these as they usually fail shorted. All you have to do is check the drive outputs to ground, with J4 disconnected from the 8 driver board, if you have low resistance to ground the transistor is bad. You can use J3 pins 2, 3, 4, and 5 for comparison.

#3087 4 years ago
Quoted from humberto:

Question: do you consider the pullback resistor suggestion there (to further protect the 8-Drive board) a worthwhile idea?

The logic behind it is sound, but I haven't done it to mine.

Quoted from humberto:

PS: I am not a fan of those IDT connectors, I plan on replacing them all with molex (trifurcon) equivalent ones. Any downside?

Both connectors have the exact same life expectancy ... 25 mechanical actions. I prefer the ORIGINAL IDC's but I'm in the minority on this. Let the debate bigin!

#3093 4 years ago
Quoted from humberto:

So I'll bite: why do you prefer the original IDCs?

They're easier to work with, have the same life expectancy, and since the wires side feed, the have the proper stress relief they were designed to have when connecting to the existing headers.

The main argument for the crimp connectors is that the IDC connectors fail...the problem with that argument is that when the connectors burn, they don't burn at the wire-connector point...they burn at the header-pin point and people tend to forget the age and life expectancy of these parts; with both connector types having the same mechanical life expectancy (25 cycles), there is no benefit to one over the other in this area. The big question is how many cycles can be expected on a board that is 20-30 years (age of all WPC boards)?

A single repair done perfectly can use up 6 cycles in a single repair.

1 - board removal from machine
2 - bench test connection
3 - bench test removal for repair
4 - connection for post repair testing
5 - disconnection from repair testing
6 - re-installation in machine

#3097 4 years ago
Quoted from humberto:

Is the board mounted pin header also rated with a 25 cycles life expectancy? I ask because the dynamics of a board mounted conector are quite different from a wire mounted one.

Yes they are. The life expectancy is based on how many friction cycles it takes to wear through the plating, and applies equally to both the socket and the pin; once the plating is worn, the parts can deteriorate from both electrical and environmental factors. This is why its always recommended that BOTH the header and connector be replaced together whenever you have connection issues.

#3098 4 years ago
Quoted from humberto:

Also there is a few things that I think about also:

1. A lot on these machines is not by "best practice" design, but rather either due to historical roots (inheritances ),
2. Some types of conector are open to a lot of misuse and improper handling, the IDCs are very vulnerable in this aspect IMO (obviously this does not apply if you are repairing/restoring it yourself),
3. In some countries the availability of IDCs is low/spotty at best, molex much less.
4. Stress relief is much less of a factor in the backbox compared to to main cabinet or moving parts.
But I am getting a sense that the differences might be "in the noise" here.

Once again thanks for your insights.

Anytime, and you are correct, the differences are more personal preference than anything else. Realistically, the main thing I like about IDC's which I touched on but didn't go into details on is that I have the Pan-Con punch tools so I can not only re-punch an entire wire harness in a couple minutes, I can also rebuild an entire connector in around the same time it takes most to crimp a single pin

#3101 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

Using a multimeter I get 12v on both sides of R56 and R58.

Typically is you have the same voltage on both sides of a current limiting resistor, it means there is no current flow usually caused by an open circuit. The most likely cause of this is a broken thru hole at one of the transition points, or a broken run. I would have to look a little at this circuit in more detail to provide more circuit specific information, like I mentioned previously, a problem in this area will effect half the board, not one just one opto; this is easy to verify on he bench.

For bench testing this, you may want to also tie your 2 column pulses (J5-9 and J5-10) to a source (12V, gnd, or a pulse), as leaving these open can cause erroneous readings; i usually use the pulse function of my logic probe for this when working on the bench.

#3104 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

From my understanding I should get 12v on both sides of R59 unless something is shorted to ground in which case the voltage drops due to resistance.

gotcha, the voltage is around 12V, the readings on both sides are similar as the voltage drop across the resistors is only 1.7V this was my fault as I assumed you had the same voltage on both sides of the resistor which would be an open circuit.

#3109 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Looks great! Where did you get those custom instruction cards on the apron?

Someone must have sold those years ago as my machine had the same ones when I purchased it in 2004.

#3118 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

There was no need to remove the screws that take a weird nut on the side of the phaser?

You do have to remove the four T10 secure torx screws (sometimes called security star) holding the two halves together.

ALL of the parts for the gun handle:

A-14747 gun handle assy 1
21-6688-L handle-gun 1
21-6688-R handle-gun 1
10-304 spring-friction 1
A-14712 bushing fire pin assy 1
02-4550 collar 1
02-4551 bushing 1
02-4558 pin firing 1
A-14694 trigger assy 1
02-4545 hub-trigger 1
02-4546 fastner-button head 1
02-4547 "fastner-button head 1/2""" 3
4702-00014-00B lw 1/4-20internal tooth-black 4
4702-00013-00B lw #10 internal tooth-black 4
4010-01174-06 ms 10-32x3/8 t-r bttn head 4
4006-01003-06 ms 6-32X3/8 p-ph-s 2
4700-00129-00B fw .203x.468x.030 black 4
02-4588 tubing-spring stop 1

#3120 4 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

is it normal On start-up and first game, to cycle all 6 balls before allowing a game to start. If not what is the most likely cause?

No, it should stage 3 balls, one in each of the three VUKs. likely cause ... subway diverter or opto malfunction.

#3130 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Yeah, I know, it’s terrible. It’s just 4 more things on a long list of things.

Can anyone recommend someone that can solder new headers to the board? Also noticed this U13 chip has some heat marks behind it.

Looks like someone ripped out a thru hole and tore a run on this repair, sad on such a good looking board ... at least they cleaned the board afterwards.

If you are looking for a board guy, I always recommend me

#3135 4 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

So, what does the LED do on the board?

I just flicked it and the light came on, then off. But my right one (which works), it currently red.

Assuming you have the original boards, the LED turn on whenever a metal object is detected in the sensors field.

#3136 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Should an opto be replaced if it’s an orangish/brown color?

Depends where it's located, if its hard to get at and you currently have access to it, you should replace it; however if it's easy to get to and its working...leave it alone. I have many optos like this in my machine that have been working fine for years after my restoration.

#3146 4 years ago

1. Does anyone have any issues with the ball eject shooting the ball into the shooter lane not always throwing the ball to the top?

I am in the process of fixing the last few items on my machine and the ball eject does not always shoot the ball all the way into the shooter lane, causing the ball to repeatedly try to go into the shooter lane and stop play for a while. The funny thing is that it works 90% of the time, but when it fails it fails repeatedly stopping play. The machine came with a replacement ball ejector VUK new in the bag, but I don't want to use it if it's a simple fix like bending something. If there is something else I should do let me know, otherwise I'll just replace the whole coil.

The coil mounting holes in the original VUK were oval (slotted) so that the positioning can be adjusted, if firing too hard, move it down a little and if too weak move it up a little. there is only a little wiggle room here, but after a couple position adjustments mine works flawlessly (original coil).

2. How hard is it to shoot the warp ramp on the left? The ball doesn't always go up all the way. I have a rebuild kit but am hesitant to install it unless it really needs it as I've never done one and don't want to break anything.

Rebuilding a flipper is one of the easiest things to do, I would just do it; you dont even have to desolder the coil, just let it hang by the wires.

1 week later
#3160 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Does anyone know the part # for this switch under the cannon?

I would use this one ... the switch with a roller actuator arm was added during the original production of this machine.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-12953

#3161 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Perfect, thanks!

I know I’m missing a hex post here, but I think I may also be missing the post below it.

I believe my game has these posts:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4934
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4659-1

#3166 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

What could cause the flipper coils to lock on for a few seconds when you turn the game on?

It’s blown F103, F112 and F11 in the past, but I’m not sure if it’s related. I put new LED’s in today and it looks like a lot of my flashers are not working. I just tested the fuses and they all appear to be good at the moment.

I could be wrong, but the first thing I think of in this scenario is:
1) Bad drive transistor on the fliptronics board (energized til fuse blows) - this would not be a power on only issue
2) Failure of the blanking circuit to hold the Fliptronics board in a reset state at power on; most likely cause is a bad ribbon cable.

#3168 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

it looks like a lot of my flashers are not working.

This is likely a connection issue or a broken wire on the bottom side of the playfield.

#3172 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

It played 1 game flawlessly and then proceeded to blow F103, F104 and F105. I think I jinxed it.

Hey that my avatar! LOL

But you now know one of the reasons I chose it

#3173 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

It played 1 game flawlessly and then proceeded to blow F103, F104 and F105. I think I jinxed it.

There is literally no single point of failure that can cause all three of these fuses to blow at the same time (with no other malfunctions), due to segregation of the continuous duty 50V drive control to the 8-Driver board.

My only recommendation at this point is to pull your CPU board, put it on your bench and ensure the ASIC is seated firmly in its socket.

#3177 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

I got another round of fuses and it immediately blew F103 upon turning the power on.

Where should I start checking?

This could be bad as you may have a broken tieback wire, if you don't know what this is please look here .... actually look here anyways.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation

The issue with a broken tieback wire is that you can repair/replace your 8 driver PCB, but if this wire is broken the drive transistors will blow immediately after your repair due to the excessive flyback voltage from the games coils hitting the transistor like a sledge hammer when their field collapses.

This is what F103 Powers:

With no tieback voltage to dissipate the coils flyback voltage all of the 4 transistors highlight in the image below are suspected failures:

NOTE, this may also cause the coils to melt.

If you want to confirm this is the problem, simply remove J4 from the 8-Driver board and turn the machine on; F103 should not blow.

#3182 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Is it just me, or do modern games consistently fall short of STTNG? Maybe I just need to spend more time on one, but I’ve yet to find anything modern that felt comparable...

I feel that most of them fall short and JJP Hobbit and PotC as well as Sterns LOTR are exceptions to this.

#3183 4 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

Well new trough boards, new driver board and my game is still acting up after a bit. It just loses track of balls and starts not seeing a drain or spitting out an extra ball from the lock.

If all your optos read closed with no balls in the machine, you probably a bad connection or broken wire.

#3200 4 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

From what I gather that means I should replace 5 bridge rectifiers and 5 filter caps?

I never recommend that anyone do this; besides, flipper power is generated on the fliptronics board, its only ties to the power board is the AC power from the transformer is fused on the Power Board before it gets to the fliptroncs board.

I would start by cleaning your right flipper optos and go from there.

#3203 4 years ago

Its probably is legit. The only thing required to hold your bonus multipliers is to achieve warp level 5, since you are likely starting at warp 4 on ball launch, all you need is a single shot to the warp ramp to achieve the bonus hold.

#3212 4 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Just pulled the trigger on a Color DMD for my STTNG. What mode do y'all like? I'm leaning towards scan mode.

I had mine on DotsXL the entire time I had the Color DMD in my STTNG...I recently moved it to my Metallica and installed the LED version in STTNG...it looks amazing!

#3218 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

So you prefer LED over LCD?

I do in this machine

#3220 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

What is it about the LED that makes it stand out above LCD?

The colors are much more vibrant, the LCD looks washed out by comparison.

1 week later
#3233 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Does anyone know where I can get a new U5 sound rom? I’ve checked the usual vendors and haven’t been able to locate one.

Just checked and I currently have 7 tubes of these on-hand. I can burn one for you, cost for the chip is $5 + shipping which I can invoice through PayPal so will be around $3. PM me if interested.

#3234 4 years ago

This is interesting ... The L7-U5 sound ROM has a checksum of 04666000, but the U5 from my ROM set reads in as 03A23C00. I'm getting into an area here where my knowledge drops off, anyone know why these would be different?

#3235 4 years ago

Hmmmm...are the masked sound roms pre-L1?

#3242 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Quoted from Pinless:
Does anyone have part numbers for the wire connectors that go to the 7 opto trough boards?

Are you talking about the IDC 0.156 connectors?
There has to be a VIDs guide on this; right?

There are no .156 connectors on the trough opto boards, these are both .100 IDC thru connectors.
Both of these connectors are now obsolete but available if ordered in sufficient quantities.

The original transmitter board connector is a PanCon MAS-CON 22awg 5 pin thru connector https://panconcorp.com/product/pancon-connectors-mas-con-100-idc-wire-to-board-connector-system-through-connectors-non-polarized-ct100f22-5-d/

The original detector board connector is a PanCon MAS-CON 22awg 12 pin thru connector https://panconcorp.com/product/pancon-connectors-mas-con-100-idc-wire-to-board-connector-system-through-connectors-non-polarized-ct100f22-12-c/

Please let me know if you are able to find these anywhere.

#3253 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

This right here should give you an immediate pause / WTF moment. You aren't getting a deal. You will be on the upper range of pricing. This game needs to be perfect. DO NOT TRUST the seller - I don't care who it is... unless is direct from HEP himself.

Unless you are buying a game I restored then it will be perfect and will have my own custom restoration/inspection stickers on it. HEP does amazing work but I've personally seen things like tape edge marks inside the cabinet that I would rate as unacceptable for my own restoration. Of course, my restoration are not for sale either

#3254 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

I’m getting 5 tones after the initial “bong” on startup. I replaced U5, ribbon cables, etc.. but still getting the same 5 tones.

What else could cause it?

Have you replaced the ribbon cables between the CPU and sound board?

#3259 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Yes, I installed a whole new set of ribbon cables.

I would try disconnecting the ribbon cable from the sound board and see if it boots.

#3269 4 years ago
Quoted from dashv:

I don’t need them to fly a tech to my house. I can execute most repairs myself short of clear coating the playfield. But since I can’t claim to be a pro with years of experience (yet) I like the added benefit of having an experienced tech I can get on the phone/video chat/email to debug and discuss issues

Isn't that what Pinside is for?

#3284 4 years ago
Quoted from mappy24:

The machine was working fine before I went away, would being powered off for two weeks have anything to do with it?!

If your game has a weakened component, like a bridge rectifier, they will normally fail at power on. But sometimes a fuse also just blows in the same manner as they can also become fatigued over time.

Quoted from mappy24:

I think that my arm may have been pressing the right flipper button while powering on, I'm hoping this might have caused it?

Unlikely, no buttons can perform any actions until after the system starts.

#3286 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

My Indy used to blow F116 when I’d hit one of the buttons.

Let me clarify...It takes an action of the processor to close a coil circuit as all coil control circuits are held in reset until the system boots up. Since there is no direct connection between the flipper switches and solenoid voltages its unlikely that there is any correlation between the two.

#3290 4 years ago
Quoted from mappy24:

Alright, thanks for the info - the plan is to replace the fuse and if it fails again then start looking at the bridge rectifiers. If I'm reading correctly, BR3 is the likely candidate.

Both BR3 on the power board or BR1 on the Fliptronics board had an equal chance of being the cause. You will have to disconnect the fliptronics power (J104 or J105) to rule it out.

#3291 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Yes, Since we are clarifying things, i should further clarify that this would happen -after- boot up

Thank you for your input.

#3301 4 years ago
Quoted from dashv:

Thanks for all the advice and insights folks. I decided to pass on the STNG because higher resolution photos showed more playfield wear than I am comfortable with for the price they are asking.

I'm sorry to hear that but you are probably making the right call as this particular machine is likely overpriced.

Quoted from dashv:

Their techs seemed quite sharp and knowledgeable. I floated a bid by the owner for a playfield swap but he would rather not go that route. Playfield swap and color DMD would have pushed the price to at least $9,500.

$2900 for a color DMD and a playfield swap is a lot of money, and seems a little high to me but may be about right ... the parts are $1300 thats a known amount, the labor is going to vary, but IMO its roughly double what it should be. for $1600 you are paying someone that knows exactly what they are doing $100/hr as this should be no more than a 2 day job; if they are unfamiliar with the machine, it may take them 4 days to do it so $50/hr.

In reality though, if you dropped of a machine with me and provided all the parts, I would charge you $1000 for the job since it would take up my whole weekend and I would have to work 12 days in a row ...

#3304 4 years ago
Quoted from dashv:

So who here wants to sell me theirs?

For $9500 I'd be temped to sell you mine and would provide free lifetime support.

#3316 4 years ago
Quoted from pzy:

And yes, HEP is the top-end of pin restoration in my opinion.

HEP is #1 in restoration services for sure ... but I still feel mine is done better

#3319 4 years ago

there are several posted throughout this forum...you can search out posts by me ... if there is anything specific you are looking for let me know.

#3322 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Mine spits out an extra ball on the playfield every 50 games or so.

Remove all the balls, put your game in switch edge test and wiggle the opto boards wiring to see if one drops out.

#3328 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Over the past few days I’ve been rebuilding the 16 opto board, replaced all headers and removed / replaced the solder on the large resistors.

Without having any idea of your soldering skills, I'm going to give you the benefit of doubt and assume its perfect.

Quoted from PinJim:

The machine rebooted. I wasn’t the slam tilt switch, as it doesn’t work.

I'm wavering a little here as it doesn't matter if your slam tilt switches (SW21) work or not for a matrix issue effecting row 1 to cause a slam tilt when closing the coin door (SW22). The giveaway here is if diagonal lines appear across the display and the work perfomed on your board could cause this if you have a solder bridge between row 1 and 2. Should be easy to rule out.

Quoted from PinJim:

I looked around the opto board to see if I shorted something and there’s nothing obvious. The driver board tie-back is still in place.

This is irrelevant as F105 is for your high power solenoids:

If you disconnect J130 and still blow a fuse, you know you have a coil shorted to ground and its going to be Sol 1-8 ... should be easy to find.

#3344 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I’ll check for a short tonight. I’m down the (1) 3 amp sb fuse. Seems like they are hard to source locally. On that note, even the ones I have seem shorter than the originals and fit looser than I want. What is the right size fuse and who carries them?

Finding the right fuses can really be a PITA if you aren't exactly sure what the series and size codes are for the fuses you are looking for.

I get my fuses, and all other components from Mouser Electronics, here is all the information you will ever need for these type fuses.

Littlefuse 313 series 3AG (Slo-Blo) DATASHEET:
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/240/Littelfuse_Fuse_313_315_Datasheet.pdf-476752.pdf

Typical MFG Part number 03130XX.MXP where XX = Fuse Size

FILTERED LIST:
https://www.mouser.com/Littelfuse/Circuit-Protection/Fuses/Cartridge-Fuses/313-Series/_/N-ba8h0?P=1z0zlhtZ1yzxjme

3A SB
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Littelfuse/0313003MXP?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtxU2g%2F1juGqbdCHRI5TALu%2F70j6uKxUC8%3D

4A SB
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Littelfuse/0313004MXP?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtxU2g%2F1juGqbdCHRI5TALuOxIDQlW4W74%3D

5A SB
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Littelfuse/0313005MXP?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtxU2g%2F1juGqbdCHRI5TALufIyDUYhRStY%3D

8A SB
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Littelfuse/0313008MXP?qs=%2Fha2pyFaduiOO1WeA1Bln2Dhd7rTzPh6KkiqnuXUDraekTwQq6ty1w%3D%3D

#3346 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Good to know. Of course, that’s where a lot of the questionable old rework is on my board. How do you remove the old rosin? Fresh stuff comes up easily with alcohol and a toothbrush. That old stuff is stubborn!

I found Scrubbing Bubbles works very well:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/14#post-3309859
Caution this is acidic so you can't let it sit on the board too long and have to rinse the board well.

But this makes the job easier:
https://www.ultrasonicsdirect.com/ultrasonic-cleaner-sh300-10l.html
Unless you are cleaning a lot of boards, wiring harnesses, etc... its just not cost effective to buy one

The safest cheap option (for your board) is to clean with a pure alcohol >99% ... you have to ignore the State of California warnings that tell you to dilute this by adding 30% water to make it less flammable which defeats the entire purpose of buying a pure alcohol ... Why would you not just buy 70% instead ... WTH is wrong with people in California?

This is the very best alcohol you can purchase for cleaning circuit boards.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DNQX3C/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00

#3348 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

What cleaning solution do you use in one with boards?

Branson makes an ultrasonic cleaner specifically for cleaning circuit boards.

Best Price is from All-Spec ... This is where I purchase the majority of my board work supplies.
Gallon $35.52 (minimum purchase $50)
https://www.all-spec.com/Catalog/Chemicals-Cleaning-Supplies/Ultrasonic-Cleaners-Accessories/Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Solutions/100-955-914-6768

You can also get it from Amazon

Gallon $88
https://www.amazon.com/Branson-Electronics-Solution-Ultrasonic-Cleaners/dp/B00BWESDKW#customerReviews

Quart $40
https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Solution-Quart-Ultrasonic-Cleaners/dp/B072XTT2NJ/#customerReviews

The main concerns with any ultrasonic cleaner used with electronics is to making sure you get all the water out of any switches on the board, and to have a cleaner with a sweep function if the board contains any type of crystal oscillator circuits (i.e. WPC CPU bords)

#3353 4 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

How long do you put a board in for? And what's the best way removing all the water - like the flipper relay switch on a WPC Power Driver board?

2 minute was is generally enough time to clean a board; another 2 minutes to rinse, followed by blow dry with an air compressor. The relays pose a unique problem as you simply cannot get water in them, I would remove them before washing the board, you can still had wash the backside after soldering them in, but I wouldn't submerge it.

#3357 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I’d love to learn a better way to repair bad traces, outside of using jumpers. Jumpers work, but it’s not the prettiest solution....

There are thru-hole and trace repair kits for this type of work, but they are very expensive.

#3358 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Clean dirty sections that you need to service with alcohol; otherwise, if it's ugly, dirty and ain't broke, don't fuck with it and play the damn game!

I take a little more pride in my work than that.

This is an photo transistor board I recently took in...
I wasn't even going to work on it on my repair bench being this dirty.

This is what it looked like when I shipped it out after replacing one of the LM339s...
You are just not going to get the board this clean with alcohol alone.

Repaired_Back (resized).JPGRepaired_Back (resized).JPG

#3359 4 years ago

And a CPU board I worked on:

#3361 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Scrubbing bubbles?

Yep.

#3378 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

I recently played STTNG on location and found it relatively easy to get the ball into the borg ship.

Could there be an issue that causes the diverter to not allow any balls into the ship?

Could be a delta ramp entry opto failure with the game on location that is not causing the ball diverter coil to not energize.

edit: nahhhh...you would know right away.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 15.00
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 9.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.95
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
932 posts in this topic match your search for posts by pin_guy. You are on page 2 of 4.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin_guy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/2?tu=pin_guy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.