Topic Stats

• 3,569 posts
  • 309 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 hours ago by play_pinball
  • Topic is favorited by 191 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 960 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

thumbnail_IMG_20191008_173607 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
Transluscent plastic-Bumpers-away (resized).jpg
Transluscent plastic-Bumpers-top (resized).jpg
Reflector-Perspective (resized).png
Reflector-Views (resized).jpg
Reflector Pos2 (resized).jpg
Reflectors Shields Lit (resized).jpg
Reflector Pos1 (resized).jpg
Shields Illumination (resized).jpg
Naceles Illum (resized).jpg
sttng ongm (resized).jpg
STTNG V2 PST (resized).jpg
STTNG v1 PsT (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3569 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 72.
#1401 2 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

It was years ago but i found the shield inserts at one of the stores in Australia...

Yep I got them from Australia too.
Mr. Pinball is the store

#1402 2 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

I think they match nicely! What do ya'll think?

All that really matters is what you think! For me, I absolutely love your backboard graphic as its one of the best I've seen. As for the poppers, it would be a bit much for me as I think the Stainless looks fine, I've toyed with the idea of doing a Pearl Black Metallic powder coat on them but haven't pulled the trigger.

#1403 2 years ago

Love my STTNG, but I've had a consistent problem with it. When the ball drops into the Borg lock, the game will often not launch a replacement ball. The Borg DMD sequence starts just fine, but no ball is launched. I end up waiting for the game to cycle a ball search and on the second cycle, it will kick a ball out of the left vuk and gameplay will continue. Any ideas?

#1404 2 years ago

game is losing track of the balls somewhere. test all your switches.

#1405 2 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

game is losing track of the balls somewhere. test all your switches.

Optos. You mean optos. Soooo many optos...

#1406 2 years ago

they're technically switches.

another thing i'm starting to learn is use a ball to test switches, not your finger.

#1407 2 years ago

I know, I was just being cheeky because STTNG has so many of them...

#1408 2 years ago

yeah, i wouldn't say i'm looking forward to it .

#1409 2 years ago

steve-o should have put an HS2 supercharger style feature on it for the warp theme. more optos plus magnets!

#1410 2 years ago

I've been having what I believe is an opto issue somewhere as well. Ball auto launches if sitting in the start launch for too long, setting for that is turned off. Also has to search for ball every so often and will work again once it fires all solenoids and puts it back into play(usually sitting in start launch but trigger wont work). BUT... I just put in a good 25 hours or so shopping it am and just playing it as-is till I finish a few other projects. I'm pretty much just avoiding ripping off the subway to test all optos at point. Procrastination at its finest.

#1411 2 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

Yep I got them from Australia too.
Mr. Pinball is the store

They have them!!!

I can't thank you guys enough for helping find them. I was about to embark on trying to resin cast my own...

Ordered 6 just in case I mess one (or 5) up .

Thanks again!

#1412 2 years ago
Quoted from JeremyON:

Love my STTNG, but I've had a consistent problem with it. When the ball drops into the Borg lock, the game will often not launch a replacement ball. The Borg DMD sequence starts just fine, but no ball is launched. I end up waiting for the game to cycle a ball search and on the second cycle, it will kick a ball out of the left vuk and gameplay will continue. Any ideas?

All the optos check out. There are no switch errors. I put a new MPU in it because the real-time clock wasn't running, and I thought that might be causing it, but it wasn't. Something else it does: during the Battle Simulation sequence on level 4 the left cannon doesn't cycle like it should and I just fire the ball toward the left vuk and the game continues. The cannon cycles just fine for the first 3 levels.

#1413 2 years ago
Quoted from simplykind:

I've been having what I believe is an opto issue somewhere as well. Ball auto launches if sitting in the start launch for too long, setting for that is turned off.

Quoted from simplykind:

Also has to search for ball every so often and will work again once it fires all solenoids and puts it back into play(usually sitting in start launch but trigger wont work)

This sounds like the shooter lane switch (68) is acting up and the machine doesn't know you have a ball sitting there.

possible problem...dirty flipper optos, while this problem should not manifest itself in this manor, it's theoretical that a software bug that allows the flippers to launch a ball in the shooter with a single flipper, can also cause a ball launch if it sees a closure of the flipper switch caused by very dirty flipper optos ... I have never actually seen this problem occur, so its purely speculative on my part that it could happen given the proper circumstances.

#1414 2 years ago
Quoted from JeremyON:

The best starting point for a problem like this is to remove all the balls from the game, then look at your switch matrix in the diagnostic menu. With no balls in the machine ALL of the optos should read closed (all of column 3 and 4, and all but 68 in column 6); any that doesn't read closed is malfunctioning and needs to be fixed before troubleshooting any further. If these all check okay, measure your 12V at the 16 opto board and make sure it reads at least 12V on the board.

#1415 2 years ago

Get the pintrix app.

It's very useful.

Try push on the onto board while in test mode and see does anything trigger.
With the balls out.

#1416 2 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

Get the pintrix app.

What is the app for ? Can you attach a link?

#1417 2 years ago

its an app for rows colloms i believe

#1419 2 years ago

I have a brand new, NOS Beta ramp that I'm not going to use. Beautiful blue entrance flap and wire form bracket at top. Very clean no scratches or blemishes, decal attached and clean no scratches.
$100 plus shipping, shouldn't be more than $15 anywhere in USA.
PM me if interested and pics.
Will list on eBay and marketplace tomorrow if no one is interested.

#1420 2 years ago

Finally got around to the ornament mod!

20170305_192223 (resized).jpg

20170305_183138 (resized).jpg

#1421 2 years ago

My lock down bar feels like it's rocking back and forth in the center. I've tightened the 2 flat head screws at the top but the problem is still there. How do I stop it from wiggling?

#1422 2 years ago
Quoted from simplykind:

Finally got around to the ornament mod!

Great!!

Now go paint that Borg ship already!

#1423 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

The best starting point for a problem like this is to remove all the balls from the game, then look at your switch matrix in the diagnostic menu. With no balls in the machine ALL of the optos should read closed (all of column 3 and 4, and all but 68 in column 6); any that doesn't read closed is malfunctioning and needs to be fixed before troubleshooting any further. If these all check okay, measure your 12V at the 16 opto board and make sure it reads at least 12V on the board.

Thank you! I'll give that a try!

#1424 2 years ago

Just finished my doityourself Hallmark Klingon BOP mod had to use a resistor to keep it from overheating. Used 2 10Watt 6.hm in parallel. 1/4 Watt resistors just got too hot. Still want to swap the LEDs under the wings for red.

IMG_0104 (resized).JPG

IMG_0106 (resized).JPG

#1425 2 years ago
Quoted from Walamab:

Used 2 10Watt 6.hm in parallel. 1/4 Watt resistors just got too hot.

Just curious...how did you arrive at these values for your current limiting resistors?

#1426 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Just curious...how did you arrive at these values for your current limiting resistors?

I didn't use the most scientific method (like using V=iR). Rather I performed multiple experiments with various resistors. Oddly enough I ended up with the same value as listed in an old post that turned up in a google search. The parallel wiring was another experiment to try to reduce the heating load on the single 1/4 Watt resistor I tried originally. I just kept it when using the 10Watt resistors. I also liked the slightly brighter result that the resulting 3.4Ohm resistance provides.

Sorry it's not more scientific

#1427 2 years ago

added my enterprise and alternative translite the original was yellow and had some holes shining tru

P_20170311_103219 (resized).jpg

P_20170314_144702 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170314_151033 (resized).JPG

P_20170314_144644 (resized).jpg

#1428 2 years ago

now waiting for my backbox leds to arrive

#1429 2 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

alternative translite

Nice translight , share where you got that?

#1430 2 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Nice translight , share where you got that?

here,

but curently sold out, bet you could ask them
there is another on the bottom of the page thats cool too!

http://www.ministryofpinball.nl/nl/star-trek-tng-alternate-translite-2.html

#1431 2 years ago

I bent my wookie....err, broke my Increase Ferengi Jackpot Plastic.

Does anyone know where I can source one, or maybe have an extra after replacing a plastic set?

#1432 2 years ago

Interesting thing happened to me last night. When the left launcher was supposed to load, instead of the ball going into the launcher, it jumped over the wireform and drained left. Lost that ball. Hm. Not cool.

#1433 2 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Interesting thing happened to me last night. When the left launcher was supposed to load, instead of the ball going into the launcher, it jumped over the wireform and drained left. Lost that ball. Hm. Not cool.

That happens to me fairly frequently. Hard thing to tune.

#1434 2 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Had the same problem for a long time, my solution was to move the coil stop for that VUK down the slots in the mounting bracket a little bit. This shortens the stroke of the VUK and makes it a little weaker - probably need a little trial and error to get it just right.

#1435 2 years ago

Thanks guys. Wow. I didn't know it was common. What a pain eh? I am wondering if I can stick something in the curved part of the eject chute, as to soak some of the ball energy... Hm.

#1436 2 years ago

Just ordered an LED colorDMD for my STTNG. This is going to be great !

#1437 2 years ago
Quoted from brewmanager:

I bent my wookie....err, broke my Increase Ferengi Jackpot Plastic.
Does anyone know where I can source one, or maybe have an extra after replacing a plastic set?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/31-1803-10

I had to replace mine recently too. If you don't have protectors underneath your plastics, I would recommend adding them and don't tighten them down too much. Finger tight is good.

#1438 2 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Thanks guys. Wow. I didn't know it was common. What a pain eh? I am wondering if I can stick something in the curved part of the eject chute, as to soak some of the ball energy... Hm.

this is what i did. i put a short strip of black electrical tape at the apex of the VUK, and that deadens the ball just enough that it never bounces out anymore. probably not a great permanent solution, though.

#1439 2 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

put a short strip of black electrical tape at the apex of the VUK

Yes Yes! I'll try that first. Good plan. Thanks!

#1440 2 years ago

I have a line out in the dead center of my DMD on my STTNG. I've resat the ribbon cable and given the DMD a visual once-over and everything checks out. Is there a ROM or something I need to re-seat?

#1441 2 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I have a line out in the dead center of my DMD on my STTNG. I've resat the ribbon cable and given the DMD a visual once-over and everything checks out. Is there a ROM or something I need to re-seat?

perfect opportunity to upgrade to ColorDMD!

dmdAdmiral (resized).jpg

#1442 2 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

perfect opportunity to upgrade to ColorDMD!

I would love to do that! ... and I will one day haha. Just looking for a temporary solution for now.

#1444 2 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

No, you probably have a bad DMD. Search threads for "repairing DMDs" or "repairing DMD line out" for potential options for fixing it but don't expect a simple solution. If I remember correctly you probably have a broken wire (external or internal to the glass) from the control board. Good luck!

P.S. The ColorDMD is fantastic for this game and I personally prefer HiRes mode with the LCD.

#1445 2 years ago

I just got my STTNG last week. Been looking at these posts and you all have some nice machines. This is a machine that was a German export and found its way back to the states. Been in someone's home for the last 18 years. Playfield in excellent condition. So happy to finally own one.

IMG_1736 (resized).JPG

IMG_1734 (resized).JPG

IMG_1732 (resized).JPG

#1446 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

No, you probably have a bad DMD. Search threads for "repairing DMDs" or "repairing DMD line out" for potential options for fixing it but don't expect a simple solution. If I remember correctly you probably have a broken wire (external or internal to the glass) from the control board. Good luck!
P.S. The ColorDMD is fantastic for this game and I personally prefer HiRes mode with the LCD.

Thanks! I'm eventually going to upgrade to a ColorDMD but wanted to make sure there wasn't some sort of secret quick fix for the meantime.

I guess I'll just have to put up with it for now.

#1447 2 years ago

Just curious, what does this game have for coin mechs? with how bad this game drains, and at over 1USD per play I don't doubt this game wasn't played much.

#1448 2 years ago

Here is what the coin door and card looks like. I think it is really kind of cool.

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

#1449 2 years ago

It still has the DM coin mechs

#1450 2 years ago

mine also came from Germany - same setup and same great condition!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
There are 3569 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 72.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside