IMG_1999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240414_092939 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,370 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 208.
#1001 7 years ago

Speaking of the songs... I have a friend that sold his sttng pin because he got sick of hearing the song... I just can't fathom...

Babylon 5 pin would be nice. Love that show too.

#1002 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I would take the HUO STTNG any day of the week over the MET Pro, I would actually prefer one with no mods since I can put on the mods I want and skip the ones I don't. If its truly a HUO machine, chances are the board set is in pristine condition and the machine is hack free; hell I would buy it even if the MPU had acid damage as long at the machine was in a climate controlled environment for the whole 20+ years.
There will be things the machines needs at this age, and even a NIB one would at this point. The following items were greased during assembly with a clay based grease that will now be hardened:
Upper Subway Diverter
Lower Subway Diverter
Borg Diverter
Left cannon Screw
Right Cannon Screw
You will want to remove disassemble these parts, clean off all the old grease, and reapply a TINY amount of a good PFTE synthetic to these parts.

Thanks for the info! If I end up getting it I will be back to ask more questions about various stuff. Really had my mind set on a MET Pro but this STTNG has thrown me for a loop, toughest decision in awhile.

#1003 7 years ago

I don't know but to me Enterprise is pretty good. Better than I remember it was when I watched it when it came out. I think we were spoiled watching it back then since we didn't have this lack of anything Star Trek like right now.

#1004 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

one of the joys of streaming - you can skip the fucking Enterprise theme song, making the show 25% better automatically.

"It's been a long road,
Gettin' from there to here..."

*Blows brains out*

For real though it's pretty bad. Voyager actually had the best intro.

Anyway, I just got the Borg ship acrylic windows. Any tips on putting these in without smearing glue everywhere?

#1005 7 years ago

DS9 as good as TNG? No way. DS9 is like Cheers, in space. Except not funny.

DS9's "prophet" shit towards the end? Total crap.

I have Batman Forever next to my STTNG. Batman is more "cartoonish" and less serious. They go well together. Both pins have all original actors for the callouts!

Is that important? It is to me. I much prefer original voices. That's why Walking Dead is weird to me...

#1006 7 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Anyway, I just got the Borg ship acrylic windows. Any tips on putting these in without smearing glue everywhere?

I just installed a set of these. I got a new tube of silicone adhesive and cut the end off to keep the bead really small. I applied the glue directly to the ship and kept the glue at least 1/4" away from the openings. I also took a toothpick and smeared the glue around if there was too much in one spot but I only had to do that once. Worked like a charm.

#1007 7 years ago
Quoted from Boiler415:

I just installed a set of these. I got a new tube of silicone adhesive and cut the end off to keep the bead really small. I applied the glue directly to the ship and kept the glue at least 1/4" away from the openings. I also took a toothpick and smeared the glue around if there was too much in one spot but I only had to do that once. Worked like a charm.

Boom. This is perfect. I'll definitely try this technique.

#1008 7 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I just got the Borg ship acrylic windows. Any tips on putting these in without smearing glue everywhere?

I just set the windows in place and went around the edges with a GOOD hot glue gun to hold them in place ... no issues. A good hot glue gun will be able to put down a thin consistent line of glue. I prefer using hot glue since a moderate amount of force will break the window away and give you a mulligan if you make a mistake.

I fitted all the parts and then numbered them in the order I was going to glue them in before I glued any of them.

1092 (resized).JPG1092 (resized).JPG

1103 (resized).JPG1103 (resized).JPG

#1009 7 years ago

Quick question fellas, were the legs on the game when new shiny black? If so I want to get mine powdercoated so they are technically correct

Thanks fellas

G

#1010 7 years ago

The flyer looks like the legs were satin black like the coin door. I'm curious as well once someone more knowledgeable chimes in.

I've been planning to get mine done in black nickel. Had the gun handle done a couple months ago and it looks great.

With regards to both windows. Green or blue? I see both for sale...

#1011 7 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

shiny black

NO! Coin door black.
Almost flat black. but not quite.

#1012 7 years ago
Quoted from Kronlar:

Green all the way! I've never seen a blue Borg ship.

That said, it goes against the image on the translite.

#1013 7 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Green all the way! I've never seen a blue Borg ship.
That said, it goes against the image on the translite.

I don't really watch the show that much so it was all about the aesthetics for me and I thought blue would look better so that's what I used. Add in blue LED flashers inside the ship and it really pops when going off, I particularly like it when half lit (the lights and me) during the intro to Borg MB.

#1014 7 years ago

in my opinion, green is more in line with the Borg aesthetic. green, black, and grey are the colors usually associated with them. well, black and grey lit by green light.

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg
borg-01 (resized).jpgborg-01 (resized).jpg
320x240 (resized).jpg320x240 (resized).jpg

not really a big deal, though, and i think the windows were blue in the game originally anyway. owner's choice, really.

#1015 7 years ago

Quoted from pezpunk:in my opinion, green is more in line with the Borg aesthetic. green, black, and grey are the colors usually associated with them. well, black and grey lit by green light.

not really a big deal, though, and i think the windows were blue in the game originally anyway. owner's choice, really.

I think any color would look better than none. But still, green would be preferable, the borg apparently love the color green!

#1017 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Blue matches the ship on the Translite and matches the ship in the show.
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/mechanics/renegade-borg-beauty.jpg

Now that you linked that I remember it was the same reason I went with Blue at the time. I really like the color blue way better than green in general so it was an easy sell for me.

#1018 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Blue matches the ship on the Translite and matches the ship in the show.
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/mechanics/renegade-borg-beauty.jpg

well, i'll grant it matches the translite. i disagree that it is accurate for the show, but it's arguable. if you want to get nit-picky, the image you posted was fan art, and not a rendering from the show ... in the show it's more ambiguous.

320x240 (resized).jpg320x240 (resized).jpg

more importantly, though, the episode it's from is actually portraying renegade Borg who aren't a part of the collective, and are under the command of Data's evil brother, Lore. They may have had a different power system or environmental requirements than actual Borg collective Borg -- they weren't plugged in to a hive mind, they had emotions and individuality, and were uninterested in assimilation. they really weren't Borg at all.

However, the Borg ship in the pinball game IS part of the Borg collective -- they threaten to assimilate you, and show no emotion, and speak with a collective voice. When we've seen the Borg collective, it's usually green light.

Unfortunately, it's more complicated if you're trying to be consistent with the cannon. The problem here is that the ship design in the pin was only ever used on-screen in that one episode with the non-hivemind renegade Borg. In fact, it's been assumed on various wikis that the ship's 'disjointed' design is a product of the renegade Borg's confused and disorganized state. However, the STTNG pin uses it as a ship populated by standard hivemind Borg. This is a little weird, because on the show, we only ever saw Borg use basic geometric shapes for their ships -- mostly cubes, with the occasional sphere.

In real life, the reason for this discrepancy is because Paramount asked Williams to use this "cool new ship design" in their pin they were developing, without telling them it was only going to be used in one episode, and only going to be used by renegade Borg who didn't act like normal Borg and didn't care about assimilation. But who cares about reality? We are trying to be authentic to the show's logic, not reality's logic, right? in my opinion, hivemind Borg like the ones in the game live in green light. But i'll grant it's definitely a grey area.

(a grey area lit by green light )

#1019 7 years ago

Seems like the long way around to say either color is right. Or wrong. So go with whichever you want.

I'm thinking I'll be picking up and airbrush kit this weekend to start experimenting. My borg ship needs some color.

#1020 7 years ago

Ok so now I have the chance to trade my woz plus cash for both met pro and sttng. The "plus cash" part has not been determined yet so the deal is not final. Good trade? Like I said before, the sttng is 1 owner huo with no mods.

#1021 7 years ago
Quoted from Kronlar:

This is going to be mainly a personal preference, the sole reason I went with green for my ship was because I opted to use a Borg ship graphic for my back panel.

912 (resized).JPG912 (resized).JPG

As you can see, green is the theme here and I wanted the ship to match. I actually have two Borg ships, one in green and one in blue in case I decide to change it at some point in the future.

#1022 7 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Ok so now I have the chance to trade my woz plus cash for both met pro and sttng. The "plus cash" part has not been determined yet so the deal is not final. Good trade? Like I said before, the sttng is 1 owner huo with no mods.

well it's impossible for us to judge, having not seen the condition of any of the games involved and not knowing what the "plus cash" is. i'd say in terms of fun, both the games you would be getting are a blast, although i love WOZ as well. i dunno, i say go for it i guess. It's not like you won't have fun with two new pinball machines!

#1023 7 years ago

very cool, Pin_Guy -- do you have any images of it installed?

#1024 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

well it's impossible for us to judge, having not seen the condition of any of the games involved and not knowing what the "plus cash" is. i'd say in terms of fun, both the games you would be getting are a blast, although i love WOZ as well. i dunno, i say go for it i guess. It's not like you won't have fun with two new pinball machines!

Yea, I know it's all subjective. It is going to be hard to give up the woz.

#1025 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

As you can see, green is the theme here and I wanted the ship to match. I actually have two Borg ships, one in green and one in blue in case I decide to change it at some point in the future

Let me be the first , cool backboard decal , how does one get one?

#1026 7 years ago

Looks like they sell that decal at the below link for $35.

http://www.pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/STTNG_Page.html

#1027 7 years ago
Quoted from Kronlar:

Looks like they sell that decal at the below link for $35.
http://www.pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/STTNG_Page.html

This is where I purchased mine, I also have the Star Trek The Next Generation
Backboard Decal that I decided not to go with for my build, if interested in obtaining that one, PM me and I'll give you a good price on it.

Quoted from pezpunk:

very cool, Pin_Guy -- do you have any images of it installed?

I dont have a great pic of it, I have one with the glass on that's getting color reflections from off the glass since its actually a shot of the color DMD ... I don't mind pulling the glass and taking one of it with the ship light on if you'd like, just let me know.

IMG_1726 (resized).JPGIMG_1726 (resized).JPG

#1028 7 years ago

Hello everyone I'm new to pinside and got my first ever pin for Christmas. It's a STTNG and I love it.

I'm certainly thinking of adding a color DMD but have read it takes a different ROM version than I have (LA-7 vs LX-7).

Can someone recommend a place to order the LX-7 ROM and provide some of idea of what's involved to actually change out the ROM?

Thanks in advance!

#1029 7 years ago
Quoted from Walamab:

Can someone recommend a place to order the LX-7 ROM and provide some of idea of what's involved to actually change out the ROM?

It's in a chip socket, you just need to pop it out; you can use a small flat blade screwdriver and work it out by alternately lifting on each side a little at a time until it comes out. When you put the new one in, you just need to watch that its oriented properly and that all the pins are lined up in the socket before you push it in. There's really nothing to it.

ebay.com link: Williams Star Trek The Next Generation Pinball Machine CPU ROM Upgrade LX7

#1030 7 years ago
Quoted from Walamab:

I tend to use John Wart at (www.) that pinball place!
Very knowledgable and has been around a long time!

#1031 7 years ago

Thanks for the replies and sharing your knowledge. Seems like this shouldn't be too tough to do.

#1032 7 years ago

Quick question guys. When I turn in my game is says Rev LA5. I suspect that this is not the latest software. What's the consensus regarding updating to latest rev?

Thank you

George

#1033 7 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

I tend to use John Wart at (www.) that pinball place!
Very knowledgable and has been around a long time!

New ROM ordered. Thanks for the info. I'm impressed with his operation. VERY helpful!

Now for that color DMD

#1034 7 years ago

Does anyone have a picture of the before and after install of the outlane extenders?
I am curious if the machine I have already has them installed!
Thanks!

#1035 7 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Quick question guys. When I turn in my game is says Rev LA5. I suspect that this is not the latest software. What's the consensus regarding updating to latest rev?

Do it! Here's why:

Version L-7
Change log:

Added adjustment A.2 27 Poker Night. Set to OFF to disable
Poker Video Mode selection.

Version L-6
Changes log:

Added adjustment A.2 25 Restart After Warp. Set to NO to inhibit
the warp factor feature from resetting after warp 9.

The "Thank you, Mr. Data" flipper bonus now works only if both
flipper buttons are pressed.

Changed the 1/2 credit sound.

Enhanced the logic on the catapult to let the ball settle on
it before launching.

Increased the scoring during Final Frontier.

Added adjustment A.2 26 Super Spinner. Set to OFF to inhibit the
super spinner from lighting on warp 6.

Fixed Ferengi and Cardassian Multiballs. They were not correctly
handling the case of all the balls quickly draining.

#1036 7 years ago
Quoted from Pike614:

Does anyone have a picture of the before and after install of the outlane extenders?
I am curious if the machine I have already has them installed!

If the screw at the end of the lane is right at the very end, and is the same on both sides, then you don't have them.

268 (resized).JPG268 (resized).JPG

#1037 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

If the screw at the end of the lane is right at the very end, and is the same on both sides, then you don't have them.

Yep...mine looks exactly like yours in the picture. Screw at the very end of the metal outlane. Thanks!

#1038 7 years ago
Quoted from Pike614:

Yep...mine looks exactly like yours in the picture. Screw at the very end of the metal outlane. Thanks!

Does anyone know the part number for the small metal piece that the screw goes into at the end of the lane divider piece. On my machine, I'm missing the two screws and that small metal cylinder piece that the screw goes through into the playfield.

#1039 7 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

that small metal cylinder piece that the screw goes through into the playfield.

The part number is 02-4020 (Support Post)
Screw is a #5 Round Philips Head/Pan Philips Head

#1040 7 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

The part number is 02-4020 (Support Post)
Screw is a #5 Round Philips Head/Pan Philips Head

Thanks!

#1041 7 years ago

Do they make ramp protectors for both sides of the delta ramp? Mine is busted and figured I could get a protector instead of a whole new ramp. I have a really long one on the left side. The ones I have seen for sale appear shorter so I am hoping it's the one I need.

0116172050 (resized).jpg0116172050 (resized).jpg

0116172050a (resized).jpg0116172050a (resized).jpg

#1042 7 years ago

After a little research it looks like those posts are unobtanium. If anyone has a few extra then please let me know.

Thanks!

#1043 7 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

After a little research it looks like those posts are unobtanium. If anyone has a few extra then please let me know.
Thanks!

per3per3 They are non-existent... I actually asked about it a while back in this thread and Pin_Guy was able to help with a photo here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/14#post-3287240

I still need one, and you're like 30 minutes away from me in NOVA. We need to find a source for the tubing and make a few to share!

#1044 7 years ago

I have one of those 02-4020 posts in my pin, and one missing. I have had my eye on a couple 8ft lengths of stainless tubing sitting in my engineer's office from an old test setup.

I'll measure it today to see if the OD is correct. If so, I can get it and cut a batch of them.

#1045 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Time for another random rebuild pics ... this is for the special slingshot switches that were used in STTNG. If you are doing a rebuild an planning on tossing these switches ... DON'T DO IT!
Here is the switch still attached to the harness ... this was one of the better of the four, unfortunately I didn't take pictures of all these switches in every step of the restoration.

Switch Disassembled ...

Not the exact switch, but a similar one after straightening and tumbling...with new brass rivets of course; all the switches were tumbled together, but I only took one picture of a post tumbled switch before putting them all back together.

Completed switch ...

Sorry, not to rehash an old post but what is special about the sttng sling switches? They look similar to others I replaced. Are they hard to find?

#1046 7 years ago
Quoted from Kronlar:

I have one of those 02-4020 posts in my pin, and one missing. I have had my eye on a couple 8ft lengths of stainless tubing sitting in my engineer's office from an old test setup.
I'll measure it today to see if the OD is correct. If so, I can get it and cut a batch of them.

That would be awesome!

#1047 7 years ago
Quoted from Kronlar:

I'll buy a few!

#1048 7 years ago

I'll buy some also. Missing both on mine!

#1049 7 years ago

It looks like the existing one on my machine is 3/16" OD. The tubing I have at work is 1/4" OD. I have about 15-20ft of the 1/4" though. I'll cut a few tonight to see if it works OK. If so, I'll cut quite a few more and let you folks know. I'm not sure the added .031" per side will matter, just want to make sure it isn't wider than the top of the outlane tip.

Not looking to charge for this other than postage fees. Being 1/4" OD, It may have to ship First Class Package service instead of with a 50 cent stamp. Manual sorting vs machine sorting and all that at the post office. Will do some research over the next day or two and let you know.

#1050 7 years ago
Quoted from Kronlar:

It looks like the existing one on my machine is 3/16" OD. The tubing I have at work is 1/4" OD. I have about 15-20ft of the 1/4" though. I'll cut a few tonight to see if it works OK. If so, I'll cut quite a few more and let you folks know. I'm not sure the added .031" per side will matter, just want to make sure it isn't wider than the top of the outlane tip.
Not looking to charge for this other than postage fees. Being 1/4" OD, It may have to ship First Class Package service instead of with a 50 cent stamp. Manual sorting vs machine sorting and all that at the post office. Will do some research over the next day or two and let you know.

I shipped a lot larger. Just use two stamps, you'll be fine.

What is the length on your post? Anyone know the screw size? Mine are completely gone.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 63.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,370 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 208.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.