IMG_1999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240414_092939 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,370 posts in this topic. You are on page 179 of 208.
#8901 1 year ago

According to schematic, it is, by 12V from J5.

#8902 1 year ago

Running out of things to do to this machine so i get bored and start messing with things I shouldn’t. Chrome nail polish powder added to the ships.

IMG_4372 (resized).jpegIMG_4372 (resized).jpegIMG_4390 (resized).jpegIMG_4390 (resized).jpeg
#8903 1 year ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Running out of things to do to this machine so i get bored and start messing with things I shouldn’t. Chrome nail polish powder added to the ships.
[quoted image][quoted image]

So you like purple

#8904 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

So you like purple

camera makes it look purple purple when it’s really white with a slight purple hue.

#8905 1 year ago

Bored?
* Did you get a PinSound system, with speakers and headphone station?
* Consider a LCARS Display mod and a Borg Alcove Display mod for your machine?
* Consider Professor Pinball Borg Interactive Display mod?
* Consider Mick Pinball Cannon Dome led mods?
* Consider LED OCD and GI OCD mods?

#8906 1 year ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Bored?
* Did you get a PinSound system, with speakers and headphone station?
* Consider a LCARS Display mod and a Borg Alcove Display mod for your machine?
* Consider Professor Pinball Borg Interactive Display mod?
* Consider Mick Pinball Cannon Dome led mods?
* Consider LED OCD and GI OCD mods?

Yes to Pinsound AND speakers
Yes to clear cannon domes, to rip out and put inside the chrome covered cannons on the way
LED OCD and GI OCD on back order for Wpc
Not yet on the pinduino

Your mods are awesome but going off what you quoted me months ago.. I think it was $1500 for them.. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m sure it’s worth it and I really like sttng.. it’s my 2nd one and this one ain’t ever leaving… but I can’t justify spending that kind of money on a mod for it right now, especially when I have other machines in line to buy.

#8907 1 year ago

Get the pinsound shaker!

#8908 1 year ago
Quoted from oradke:

Get the pinsound shaker!

Note on the PinSound Shaker...cool idea, however the "stock" shaker events are WAY TOO MUCH. I feel they should only happen during significate moments in gameplay. Not launching the ball and nearly everything else. SO, you will need to learn PinSound Studio and customize your own, with the sound package you are using.

I would share mine with you, which is pretty good, however I haven't learned exactly how to do that yet.

#8909 1 year ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Note on the PinSound Shaker...cool idea, however the "stock" shaker events are WAY TOO MUCH. I feel they should only happen during significate moments in gameplay. Not launching the ball and nearly everything else. SO, you will need to learn PinSound Studio and customize your own, with the sound package you are using.
I would share mine with you, which is pretty good, however I haven't learned exactly how to do that yet.

I run a sub loud enough it shakes the machine plenty.

#8910 1 year ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

I run a sub loud enough it shakes the machine plenty.

EXCELLENT! Perfect use of the PinSound output jacks....(so do I) lol

#8911 1 year ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

There‘s no way to copy shaker settings between sound sets. Has been requested multiple times over many years, but no response from Pinsound. Perhaps someone can hack the config file…

#8912 1 year ago

Have a Pinshakers.com shaker in mine for 3 years now.
Great shaker, configurable triggers for flashers or solenoids, very flexible.

Pinside shop : https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1206-pinshakers

Introduction thread of the product : https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/introducing-the-pinshakers-universal-plug-amp-play-shaker-motor-kit

#8913 1 year ago
Quoted from oradke:

There‘s no way to copy shaker settings between sound sets. Has been requested multiple times over many years, but no response from Pinsound. Perhaps someone can hack the config file…

It's not in the config file. It's in the firmware, hence the inability to modify it.

#8914 1 year ago

IMG_1531.jpegIMG_1531.jpeg

#8915 1 year ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

It's not in the config file. It's in the firmware, hence the inability to modify it.

It's my experience that for the most part, a person uses the PinSound basic hardware configuration OR starts clean and creates events based on the gameplay capture. Using the scripting documented during gameplay, you'll decide what type of shaker event aspects you want to occur. Certainly a trial and error sort of thing.

Again, I've only created a "Shaker Profile" for my machine, removing more than half of the standard events. That way when explosions happen, or whatever, a shaker event happens. NOT when a ball is launched or drains, or just rebounds off the slings.

Mike, I'll be the first to admit I have limited experience with this. The "NEW" PinSound board seems to offer more control / features.

#8916 1 year ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

It‘s both. The firmware holds factory presets for many machines (I actually did the ones for SWDE for instance), but you can configure your own triggers with the same editor you use for the sounds, and that overrules the firmware settings. If you switch to a different sound set, however, it goes back to the firmware settings unless you configure your own shaker events for the 2nd sound set. There‘s no way to copy the shaker events between sound sets.

#8917 1 year ago
Quoted from oradke:

It‘s both. The firmware holds factory presets for many machines (I actually did the ones for SWDE for instance), but you can configure your own triggers with the same editor you use for the sounds, and that overrules the firmware settings. If you switch to a different sound set, however, it goes back to the firmware settings unless you configure your own shaker events for the 2nd sound set. There‘s no way to copy the shaker events between sound sets.

Wow, I had guessed as much however wasn't sure. Guess I am staying with the sound package I am using, which is configured with my shaker profile.
I wonder why it's not a standalone file?

#8918 1 year ago

For those who have the PinSound Motion Control Board:

Are you using the "Relay Control" feature for anything? and if so, what?

What is it designed to offer ?

Focus-Relay-Output-300x249 (resized).pngFocus-Relay-Output-300x249 (resized).png

ps-motion-control-only (resized).jpgps-motion-control-only (resized).jpg
#8919 1 year ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

For those who have the PinSound Motion Control Board:
Are you using the "Relay Control" feature for anything? and if so, what?
What is it designed to offer ?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I have used the aux output on a Road Show. I built a topper with orange rotating beacons and was using the aux board to trigger them for certain events. It works the same as the topper with triggers based on sounds.

#8920 1 year ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

I have used the aux output on a Road Show. I built a topper with orange rotating beacons and was using the aux board to trigger them for certain events. It works the same as the topper with triggers based on sounds.

Very cool use. I was unaware that was possible. Currently I connected some flashers in parallel with the internal Borg Ship flashers, and mounted the actual flashers externally on top of the header. These flashers strobe the ceiling of the room, similar to lightening, during the explosions.

Does the control for it appear in PinSound Studio app? If so, does it work like a "contact closure ON / OFF" thing, or are there any attributes to the event?
I feel so like a newbie on this aspect of the software / hardware

#8921 1 year ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Very cool use. I was unaware that was possible. Currently I connected some flashers in parallel with the internal Borg Ship flashers, and mounted the actual flashers externally on top of the header. These flashers strobe the ceiling of the room, similar to lightening, during the explosions.
Does the control for it appear in PinSound Studio app? If so, does it work like a "contact closure ON / OFF" thing, or are there any attributes to the event?
I feel so like a newbie on this aspect of the software / hardware

It’s been a while. It’s a relay (ON/OFF). The way it was controllable back then (not sure if this has changed) was sound triggers that would turn on the relay for x seconds. I would have preferred a way to just turn the relay on without time limitations. Maybe it’s an option now.

Examples:

#8922 1 year ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

It’s been a while. It’s a relay (ON/OFF). The way it was controllable back then (not sure if this has changed) was sound triggers that would turn on the relay for x seconds. I would have preferred a way to just turn the relay on without time limitations. Maybe it’s an option now.
Examples:

VERY NICE machine and mod work

#8923 1 year ago

Does anyone have a LX 8 ROM they want to sell? I am just starting my teardown and saw the announcement a little too late to grab one earlier.

#8924 1 year ago
Quoted from math08:

Does anyone have a LX 8 ROM they want to sell? I am just starting my teardown and saw the announcement a little too late to grab one earlier.

Matt's Basement is one source to get you going for LX-8 Rom

https://mattsbasementarcade.com/product/star-trek-the-next-generation-cpu-rom-lx-7-u6-bally-williams-eprom-sttng/

#8925 1 year ago

I’m burning another batch of LX8 EPROMS in about a week. PM if you want one. $5 plus shipping.

9274325A-F0F9-4229-A70C-ABE106281A6B.jpeg9274325A-F0F9-4229-A70C-ABE106281A6B.jpeg

#8926 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

I’m burning another batch of LX8 EPROMS in about a week. PM if you want one. $5 plus shipping.
[quoted image]

That's a fair price. Thank you.

#8927 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

[quoted image]

Nice labels!!

#8928 1 year ago

New STTNG owner, running LX-8,sometimes on lock 2 the machine starts to look for the missing ball.
Is this a normal behavior?

#8929 1 year ago
Quoted from A1k71:

New STTNG owner, running LX-8,sometimes on lock 2 the machine starts to look for the missing ball.
Is this a normal behavior?

Sounds like an opto problem on your left VUK.

#8930 1 year ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Sounds like an opto problem on your left VUK.

The left VUK works fine during game (Probe, mission etc.etc)
Unless there is a second row of opto that I need to check

#8931 1 year ago

Any good Soul got a spare one or know where t find this gate assembly??

Pinside_forum_6025672_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_6025672_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_6026212_2241899 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_6026212_2241899 (resized).jpg
#8932 1 year ago
Quoted from A1k71:

Any good Soul got a spare one or know where t find this gate assembly??
[quoted image][quoted image]

If you get really stuck, I can make you one but it will take a while. You need the whole assembly? Not just the wireform, right?

#8933 1 year ago

Has anyone replaced those ugly gates and switches with magnetic reed switches?

#8934 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

If you get really stuck, I can make you one but it will take a while. You need the whole assembly? Not just the wireform, right?

the entire assembly please

#8935 1 year ago

Greetings, I'm new to the forum. I have a pristine STTNG machine I picked up about 10 years ago that I haven't played in a while. I have a lot to catch up on in this thread!

Question:

When I power up I hear the startup bong and the boot up is normal with no faults but the "Space the Final Frontier..." audio no longer plays. Once I press the play button all the audio seems to work normal.

Any Ideas.

50023 REV. LA-7

#8936 1 year ago
Quoted from MachTuck:

Greetings, I'm new to the forum. I have a pristine STTNG machine I picked up about 10 years ago that I haven't played in a while. I have a lot to catch up on in this thread!
Question:
When I power up I hear the startup bong and the boot up is normal with no faults but the "Space the Final Frontier..." audio no longer plays. Once I press the play button all the audio seems to work normal.
Any Ideas.
50023 REV. LA-7

Attract Mode Audio is turned off in the settings

#8937 1 year ago

Thanks, Crap, rookie mistake....

#8938 1 year ago

No, worries. I have noticed the people on this thread for this game. Are super nice.

#8939 1 year ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

No, worries. I have noticed the people on this thread for this game. Are super nice.

I have been on pinside around 6 months. This thread, and in general, I have found pinsiders to be super nice and super helpful. The best of people. I very much appreciate the help and nature of what others have shared with me. A very big thank you.

#8940 1 year ago

Any one purchase the mirrored translite from classic playfield? If so how do you like it? About to pull the trigger, but want to make sure it’s worth the scratch

#8941 1 year ago
Quoted from cldgin2:

Any one purchase the mirrored translite from classic playfield? If so how do you like it? About to pull the trigger, but want to make sure it’s worth the scratch

It is definitely worth it.. I’ve bought every CPR backglass for all my games they make them for.

#8942 1 year ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

It is definitely worth it.. I’ve bought every CPR backglass for all my games they make them for.

Good to know! I didn’t even know it was a thing until some one locally was selling their TNG and advertised it as a feature

#8943 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

[quoted image]

EPROMs came in early, burning tonight. I still have 3 more available, PM if you want in.

#8944 1 year ago

I'm experiencing some unpleasantness on my Next Gen.

Yesterday: Can't start a game and I am seeing coin door open messages. The start button seems to be ignored, but tests OK in service mode switch test. The door closed switch (sw22) does not close in the service menu switch test. The physical memory protect switch itself tests fine via DMM (as does the interconnect switch above it).

History: A week ago the opto board lost power due to a brittle wire on an IDC molex connector at the WPC board. Repressed the wire and back in business. Five days ago the grip trigger stopped working. We realized we could use the flipper to select a skillshot and simply ignored it until I had some more time to dig in. Now the start button issue in which the game is ignoring the button despite it showing up in service. My guess is a broken white red wire on the row, but the rest of the row seems to be working in service.

Here's the additional problem: I cannot clear out the balls. It dumped three (into the cannon and the left return lane) but the others are stuck --probably in the subway.

Suggestions to safely lift the playfield and check for a broken wire without destroying my subway? Any other advice or tips?

Thanks!

- Acting Ensign, Weasel Crusher

#8945 1 year ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Yesterday: Can't start a game (start button is literally ignored, but tests OK in service mode switch test). I am seeing coin door open messages. The door closed switch (sw22) does not close in the service menu switch test. The physical switch itself tests fine via DMM (as does the interconnect).
History: A week ago the opto board lost power due to a brittle wire on an IDC molex connector at the WPC board. Repressed the wire and back in business. Five days ago the grip trigger stopped working. We realized we could use the flipper to select a skillshot and simply ignored it until I had some more time to dig in. Now the start button issue in which the game is ignoring the button despite it showing up in service. My guess is a broken white red wire on the row, but the rest of the row seems to be working in service.
Here's the additional problem: I cannot clear out the balls. It dumped three (into the cannon and the left return lane) but the others are stuck --probably in the subway.
Suggestions to safely lift the playfield and check for a broken wire without destroying my subway? Any other advice or tips?
Thanks!

Are you sure the game is set on free play? If you upgraded the eprom or changed the batteries it could have reverted to credits.

#8946 1 year ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Are you sure the game is set on free play? If you upgraded the eprom or changed the batteries it could have reverted to credits.

It is set to free play, unfortunately. Thanks.

#8947 1 year ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Yesterday: Can't start a game and I am seeing coin door open messages. The start button seems to be ignored, but tests OK in service mode switch test. The door closed switch (sw22) does not close in the service menu switch test. The physical memory protect switch itself tests fine via DMM (as does the interconnect switch above it).
Thanks!

Slowly lifted the playfield into a slight incline worried about the subway.

Seems just a lot of bad luck all at once:

All coils fire in test while holding down the interlock EXCEPT left popper. Hoping for a lose wire. Expecting a blown transistor. Worried about going into a higher service position with three balls in the subway

Memory protect interlock from the switch to the cabinet board has solid wiring, so the issue is likely the cabinet board ...I guess?

Grip trigger microswitch is dead according to the DMM. That's the easiest of the bunch.

Edit:

Fix should be easy. Left popper coil with a broken wire. Because the trough couldn't re-fill, the game ignores the start button (with no error...). I'm guessing there's nothing wrong with the interlock and once I get the popper fixed and the trough full, a game will start and that will weird interlock message will dissappear. Can't figure out how to clear the balls out of that popper though. They're all stacked up.

#8948 1 year ago
Quoted from koji:

Sounds like 5v. Easy enough to check the voltages.

The problem is NOT with the LED OCD or GI OCD boards. In fact, when the are properly connected, they tap their power directly from the transformer in the cabinet, bypassing the power draw from the power driver board.

Note: ALL of your bulbs must be leds, in all locations or you will blow the small fuses on the OCD boards. As mentioned previously, your resetting is issues from the Power Driver Board most likely. Old burned connectors, corrosion, old electrical parts, etc. Many issues to consider. Personally, my power driver board was burned, hacked and not worthy of saving. Consider a new power driver board if your boards are in same condition

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg
#8949 1 year ago

So, I've owned a STTNG for quite a while and haven't been using her. When I got her in the early 2000's I replaced Capacitors and Power transistors, replaced all bumpers, polished the playing field and I also had to replace the sound board.

She still works like a champ and I am considering:

The Tie Back Mod
Replacement Speakers they just don't sound good.
Shaker Module.

Anyone have any suggestions as to which to do first, other mods, and recommended parts?

Thanks!

#8950 1 year ago

I'd do tieback first as it's nearly free if you ignore your time/labor.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 85.00
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 63.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 64.99
$ 9.95
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

There are 10,370 posts in this topic. You are on page 179 of 208.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/179 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.