IMG_1999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240414_092939 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,379 posts in this topic. You are on page 177 of 208.
#8801 1 year ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

The only fix to too many things on the same circuit sucking power is to have more power - has nothing to do with firmware. I installed a separate 12V power supply for my Pinsound and ColorDMD. The 12V on STTNG is what runs all the optos so I left that alone since there are so many on this game.. Oh and it's a 30 year old game.
Some folks have success without an additional power supply. Depends on your game. There's no "one-size-fits-all" solution.

Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

It's not a "fix", it's maintenance. Look through your system for old connectors, old bridges, and many other electrical wear items. Firmware has nothing to do with it. Adding 12 volts "mods" will kill a system however. Flipper strength can be improved via a rebuild and proper coils.
Adding power supplies helps for additional mods, so you DON'T tap the system power needs. I would suggest looking from page ONE of this blog, tons of information here will provide you dozens of answers and suggestions.

I appreciate the help.. and yea I figured it was still add a power supply. No biggie..

#8802 1 year ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

I appreciate the help.. and yea I figured it was still add a power supply. No biggie..

I never have had a problem running the ColorDMD except for one time at a show where the line voltage was quite low, it was so low I think the game would have had issues even without the CDMD actually. Now when I added Pinstadiums to it I did put in a seperate supply to run those.

#8803 1 year ago
Quoted from ingo333:

speaking of proper game ROMs...
Exactly 29 years after the release of LX-7 - which came out on Feb. 17 1994 - I'm really proud – and a little surprised - to announce the release of something really cool:
[quoted image]

More than 20 bugs fixed.
Features! Tweaks! Improvements!
For sure the No 1. upgrade every STTNG should have installed.
And it simply plays fantastic!

The goal was to eliminate bugs and inconsistencies, but also to add obviously missing features. Everything was designed to maintain the spirit of the original game and every change that is not a bug-fix can be disabled. But if you like LX-7 you are certainly going to love LX-8.
If you own a legal copy of LX-7, here you are going to find everything you need - including a well written manual with 22 fine pages answering everything you might want to know:
https://drive.proton.me/urls/WZV79221ZC#SFQiTtAwWYm2
For sure a serious amount of time went into developing, testing and documenting all of this. Over at flippermarkt.de a very competent alliance of fellow STTNG owners teamed up to make this happen!
For your thoughts, ideas, extensive testing, bug reports, continuous and persistent help to make one of the best pinball machines of all time even better, special thanks (and shouts!!) go out to:
Guitarluke - oradke - grabul - agolo - chessman68 - mineu - Thargor - rocanich – ClarkKent
And for additional beta testing:
toxie - koji - Manny65 - Eric_Manuel
If you happen to meet them… you should buy these guys a beer!
Cheers!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is an unofficial patch for LX-7 (Special-Speech version) and it’s not authorized by Williams! The use of modified software outside of PinMAME is not intended and done at your own risk!

Wanted to thank everyone involved for this. I was just thinking how great it would be to have updates for my STTNG!

Couple of questions - I have the following eproms: M27C4002, M27C1024, M27C322. Are any of them OK for LX-8?

Also, what's the possible scope of future updates? It would be great to have the option of remixed missions after the reaching the FF. Would totally new missions be possible (a bit like Cactus Canyon Continued)? New DMD graphics (would love to see a proper Borg Cube)? I'm grateful for anything but not sure how much is possible. Thanks again to all involved.

#8804 1 year ago

Anybody have a set of these chrome cannon covers? I tried ordering these but pinball.center will not ship to USA : /
3AD88B3F-6749-4CAF-9334-F1151A4D5CB5 (resized).png3AD88B3F-6749-4CAF-9334-F1151A4D5CB5 (resized).png

#8805 1 year ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Anybody have a set of these? I tried ordering these but pinball.center will not ship to USA : /[quoted image]

Pinball life has the set with lasers available

F0B13458-0F52-4D83-9A31-DBB629B1645F (resized).jpegF0B13458-0F52-4D83-9A31-DBB629B1645F (resized).jpeg
#8806 1 year ago
Quoted from Iamthelaw:

Pinball life has the set with lasers available [quoted image]

Go to the source: Mickspinball.com

#8807 1 year ago

Yes, LX-8 Rom is all you need to replace. Mick is "The Guy" for the Laser Mod Cannon Covers. He offers other worthwhile led mods too. Videos of such are on his page. When you are working on the cannons, may I suggest replacing (unless they've been done) the wire LOOMS. It's worthwhile to do. Also, inspect the solder connections to the cannon optos at least, and clean them up, including the optos themselves

#8808 1 year ago

I appreciate all the help. The big thing im looking for are the cannon covers in (Chrome) ... which pinball.center only seems to offer.

#8809 1 year ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

I appreciate all the help. The big thing im looking for are the cannon covers in (Chrome) ... which pinball.center only seems to offer.

I don't know that they can do plated plastic but I'd ask Pinballplating.com and see if they can / will do it, how much if so, etc.

#8810 1 year ago

Luke_Nukem I can order from Pinball.Center as I used to do Group buys from them.
That said; I no longer offer group buys - but we can discuss via PM if you like. Feel free to reach out.

Quoted from huwman:

I have the following eproms: M27C4002

That's a 16bit eeprom; I don't think it will work for an 8bit rom. Also; it's a completely different pinout.
Sadly; you're going to have to source a new eprom.

#8811 1 year ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Anybody have a set of these chrome cannon covers? I tried ordering these but pinball.center will not ship to USA : /
[quoted image]

Use a mail forwarding service like https://mailboxde.com/

#8812 1 year ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Luke_Nukem I can order from Pinball.Center as I used to do Group buys from them.
That said; I no longer offer group buys - but we can discuss via PM if you like. Feel free to reach out.

That's a 16bit eeprom; I don't think it will work for an 8bit rom. Also; it's a completely different pinout.

Wow! Thanks man! I sent you a PM.

#8813 1 year ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Now you need the very cool Data East Star Trek. Suggestions. Inspect your machine for the must have LX-8 Rom release. In addition, Pinsound is as worthy of an upgrade as color dmd. Be sure your nice machine has the "Tie-Back" mod installed to prevent blowing up some coils and a mini 8 driver board.
Also consider LED OCD and GI OCD enhancements.

What exactly is the “Tie back mod”? I’ve read through a ton of pages here , seen it referenced a few times but no real explanation of what it is or really does.

I’ll look into the pinsound, not sure what it would really do, and the LX-8 I’m assuming just came out ? So odds are I don’t have it, but assume it requires flashing a rom which I don’t think I have the proper tools.

Thank you so much for the tips! I want to keep this beauty pristine for a long time to come

#8814 1 year ago
Quoted from cldgin2:

What exactly is the “Tie back mod”? I’ve read through a ton of pages here , seen it referenced a few times but no real explanation of what it is or really does.

Only do this if you don’t want your game to self destruct. I think this is the cleanest way to do it…

https://www.pinballrevolution.com/threads/13-sttng-tie-back-mod-best-way.3954/

#8815 1 year ago

Okay so question.. I have the FL-17636 coils installed on all 3 flippers… is there something with just this coil as far as having a shitty flipper hold?

If I hold the flipper up to catch a ball coming from the top of the playfield… and it has some decent speed… it will either force my flipper halfway down upon contact.. or it with flutter the flipper, flipping the ball away.

Everything is brand new.. new EOS switch, new coil, new flipper mechs.

I thought if I swapped out the old original EOS switches it may fix it.. but it’s the same thing.

#8816 1 year ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Okay so question.. I have the FL-17636 coils installed on all 3 flippers… is there something with just this coil as far as having a shitty flipper hold?
If I hold the flipper up to catch a ball coming from the top of the playfield… and it has some decent speed… it will either force my flipper halfway down upon contact.. or it with flutter the flipper, flipping the ball away.
Everything is brand new.. new EOS switch, new coil, new flipper mechs.
I thought if I swapped out the old original EOS switches it may fix it.. but it’s the same thing.

Let's just say you don't do the Williams Tech Recommended Tie Back........ Plan on spending $$$ in the future...
As mentioned, there are 176 pages of amazing pages of information on the amazing STTNG blog. Read about 5 pages a day. All of the questions will be answered, even ones you don't know yet you have. Your machine will love you for all the preventative and needed help your about to give it.
Tie Back Mod
8DriverModPinWiki1 (resized).png8DriverModPinWiki1 (resized).png8DriverModPinWiki2 (resized).png8DriverModPinWiki2 (resized).png

#8817 1 year ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Let's just say you don't do the Williams Tech Recommended Tie Back........ Plan on spending $$$ in the future...
As mentioned, there are 176 pages of amazing pages of information on the amazing STTNG blog. Read about 5 pages a day. All of the questions will be answered, even ones you don't know yet you have. Your machine will love you for all the preventative and needed help your about to give it.

Eric I appreciate the fast response, and I really admire your machine and all your mods,,
Tie back mod was done the first night owning this machine. This is my 2nd time owning STTNG so I was aware of that thankfully…

I hope I can afford one of your LCD mods someday for this game.

#8818 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

I have no proof other than a hunch. It sounds like your right flipper solenoid is FL-17636 and your left flipper solenoid is FL-11629 (or perhaps FL-11630).
The FL-17636 has a strong "power" stroke but very weak "hold" power. I think the power resistance is ~4.5 Ohms and the hold resistance is ~300 Ohms. The FL-11629 has a strong "power" stroke and good "hold" power. I think the power resistance is ~4 Ohms and the hold resistances is ~150 Ohms. This is the reason why I removed my FL-17636 solenoids and replaced them with FL-11629 solenoids.
You can either post images of the flipper solenoids (assuming the flipper solenoid wrapper is correct) or more precisely measure the resistance to be sure of the flipper solenoid that is actually installed.

Found my answer!

#8819 1 year ago

Zitt Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

#8820 1 year ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Eric I appreciate the fast response, and I really admire your machine and all your mods,,
Tie back mod was done the first night owning this machine. This is my 2nd time owning STTNG so I was aware of that thankfully…
I hope I can afford one of your LCD mods someday for this game.

Thank you. Just take lots of time restoring the machine, it's worth it in the long run. Mine was in horrible condition, and took 6-8 months and a ton of "OCD" to get it functionally solid. Enhancements, mods and custom features came afterwards.

I decided my Power Driver Board had been previously "hacked" and damaged too much. Replaced it with a new Rottendog Board (LOVE IT). Then upgraded the MPU board. General Illumination connectors are ALWAYS burned on these machines, so look for them.

The machine "lives and dies" without good optos working properly. You have 16 sets in the machine. If your machine is "searching" for a ball, that's probably the issue.

By the way, the Tie Back mod prevents a situation when somehow a coil wire breaks off. This can cause one of the diverter coils on the subway to lock on, burn up and then fry the mini 8 driver board in the backbox. How do I know? I did it.......
There are a ton of good things to do, to electrically bullet proof your machine, do them all.
Grounding is vital. Don't miss the ground lead from the backbox to the cabinet. Also make sure nobody has cut off the ground on your machine power cord.

#8821 1 year ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Grounding is vital. Don't miss the ground lead from the backbox to the cabinet. Also make sure nobody has cut off the ground on your machine power cord.

Ground-wise, also make sure the ground braid on the inner rear right side of your main cab, just above the wood brace that the playfield rests on when it's lowered into the cab, isn't broken. Seen at least two (one my own) where the braid had been torn in half, likely from the heavy playfield catching on it enough times to break it.

#8822 1 year ago
Quoted from huwman:

Also, what's the possible scope of future updates? It would be great to have the option of remixed missions after the reaching the FF. Would totally new missions be possible (a bit like Cactus Canyon Continued)? New DMD graphics (would love to see a proper Borg Cube)? I'm grateful for anything but not sure how much is possible. Thanks again to all involved.

I guess that would be possible.. but the focus is clearly bug fixes and perhaps little tweaks... LX-7 was actually never really finished and that's what we are trying to achieve: LX-7 as it should have been for the last 30 years.

but If you have ideas how to improve game play, please let me know... we'll be collecting ideas and bugs over the next few months and then decide what's going to make it into the next release.

#8823 1 year ago
Quoted from ingo333:

I guess that would be possible.. but the focus is clearly bug fixes and perhaps little tweaks... LX-7 was actually never really finished and that's what we are trying to achieve: LX-7 as it should have been for the last 30 years.
but If you have ideas how to improve game play, please let me know... we'll be collecting ideas and bugs over the next few months and then decide what's going to make it into the next release.

Thank you - I'll put some ideas together and send them to you.

#8824 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

The website says they are aluminum. I will let you know the quality when they arrive.

Fast delivery, got them today. Good quality aluminum stickers, very nice looking!

Pinballshop.nl highly recommended!

#8825 1 year ago

I received the Lx-8 chip today.

Quick question installing it....for the answer, pretend I have absolutely no idea how to install these things.

When I remove the old chip, do I just slide the new one in place? Is there any side that has to be up or it doesn't matter?

#8826 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

Only do this if you don’t want your game to self destruct. I think this is the cleanest way to do it…
https://www.pinballrevolution.com/threads/13-sttng-tie-back-mod-best-way.3954/

There is a potential issue in using this approach - it removes the original tie back and replaces it with one powered off the separately connected J108. So if J108 is not plugged in (a new owner might be going off the manual doing a power driver board swap or repair which shows J108 as not used) then it’ll damage the 8 driver board and coils. This is why you’ll see mods showing the tie back coming off J107, because this powers the coils so you need the tie back when J107 is connected. If using the J108 to power the tie back then I’d recommend leaving the original tie back in place for redundancy.

#8827 1 year ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I received the Lx-8 chip today.
Quick question installing it....for the answer, pretend I have absolutely no idea how to install these things.
When I remove the old chip, do I just slide the new one in place? Is there any side that has to be up or it doesn't matter?

Good question, you need to ensure the orientation of the chip is the same. They should have a divot on one end, just make sure it is the same direction (very important, or you will fry the rom).

Just be very careful inserting the new chip. Make sure all the legs are inserting, it's easy to bend a leg on insertion, and that is a mess for sure.

#8828 1 year ago

Also, remove the batteries for a few seconds while the machine is off the clear the RAM completely.

#8829 1 year ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Step by step; with pictures.
http://pinball-mods.com/url/wmsSTNGLX8

#8830 1 year ago

I tried installing an EEPROM that didn't work, and when I put my LX7 back in, the game locks up after about 1 minute. I did take the CPU board completely out but I believe I put all the cables back in place. Any ideas?

#8831 1 year ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:

I just installed a GI OCD board, it seemed to work fine for a few minutes and then the game spontaneously reset. I tried again, it reset again, this time after only about 30 seconds. The cycle continued with shorter and shorter times until it would basically just reset continuously. I powered down, tried again, it immediately started resetting in attract mode. I unplugged the GI OCD board and replaced all the connectors and played 2 games with no issue. The game did reset recently when I was in the final frontier but otherwise has seemed stable. Any thoughts on if this is an issue with the OCD board or am I just on the edge of the dreaded 5V reset issue and the OCD has put me over the top?

Typically the GI OCD System connects directly to the power supply in the cabinet. Did you do that? Also do you have ALL of your general illumination bulbs OUT and replaced with leds? This is a must do. No mixing. Have you also checked all of the status leds on your power driver board and also the GI OCD board for proper operation?

#8832 1 year ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Typically the GI OCD System connects directly to the power supply in the cabinet. Did you do that? Also do you have ALL of your general illumination bulbs OUT and replaced with leds? This is a must do. No mixing. Have you also checked all of the status leds on your power driver board and also the GI OCD board for proper operation?

It's all good, I posted my fix in #8777 here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/176#post-7457796.

After checking voltages I found a significant drop between the power driver board and CPU so I removed the Z connector in between and soldered the wires directly. It is working perfectly now. To answer your questions, I had replaced ALL incandescents and connected the OCD board direclty to the power supply per the manual. Thanks.

#8833 1 year ago
Quoted from spidey:

I tried installing an EEPROM that didn't work, and when I put my LX7 back in, the game locks up after about 1 minute. I did take the CPU board completely out but I believe I put all the cables back in place. Any ideas?

Double check the ribbon cable connectors are on both row of pins, also check the IDC connectors

What do the 3 diagnostic LEDs do when you power on the machine?

When you say the game locks up - have you started a game or are you meaning it locks up after powering on the machine?

#8834 1 year ago
Quoted from spidey:

Do you have NVRAM in the machine?

#8835 1 year ago

I believe I found the problem. Years ago I did a poor repair job on one of the large capacitors on the power driver board and I must have bumped it when removing cables. I pushed it back in and then I was able to play for a while. I had pulled the through hole copper connector out removing the old cap and had put a piece of solder in there as a substitute. Still not sure how to really fix it better.

#8836 1 year ago
Quoted from spidey:

I believe I found the problem. Years ago I did a poor repair job on one of the large capacitors on the power driver board and I must have bumped it when removing cables. I pushed it back in and then I was able to play for a while. I had pulled the through hole copper connector out removing the old cap and had put a piece of solder in there as a substitute. Still not sure how to really fix it better.

Will need to add a stitch. I've had to do that often on WPC driver boards I get in for repair. Lots of people end up pulling out the through hole plating when replacing the large capacitors. With the capacitor removed clean out all the solder (a quality solder wick helps) then on the top where the trace is scrape off about 1/4" of the green solder mask. Tin that. Then take a scrap lead from an LED, resistor etc and make a small L shaped bend. Put it in the hole at the edge and solder the top of the L to the trace. It will stay in place after re-installing the capacitor and complete the circuit. I like using the LED lead scraps since they are square and fit better. You can fix it.

#8837 1 year ago

Past 2 days I have completely.. and I mean Completely shopped 110% my STTNG.

Here’s some pix of those who care… taken around 13 hours total… didn’t skip one step… didn’t half ass anything. Game plays rediculously fast.. ball hits the glass. Habitrails… airballs off the back drop target… it’s insane!

List so far of what I’ve done to it:

I wet sanded / polished every single ball trail

Waxed the entire playfield three times

Removed all factory Mylar (didn’t lift a single piece of art! ) and the adhesive from the mylar ( WHAT A FREAKING PAIN )

Flame polished every single ramp including subway

Replaced every single bulb with Cointaker LEDs ( Need to order more haven't completely gotten the color scheme where I want it yet )

2000 grit sandpapered launch lane to get all the black shit off

Installed all new rubbers

Plastic protectors and all new plastics ( 45 minutes to remove all the plastic wrap on the set )

Cleaned every single mech with 90% alcohol

Sleeved every single mech with new

Installed all new flipper coils, EOS switches and flipper mechs / bushings

Replaced a burnt J120 11 pin connector with new fixing string of GI out in backbox

Installed LX8 Rom

Added the tie back mod

Cleaned and reflowed solder on all optos attached on top subway

Rebuilt both cannons entirely

Rebuilt pop bumpers

Removed brushed aluminum side rails and replaced with mirror chrome ( still waiting on the rest of the hardware to arrive )

Replaced batteries

Wet sanded every piece of brushed aluminum metal on the playfield ( VUK housings )

***Still to do***

Color LED DMD

Pinsound + board and 2.1 Pinsound speakers

Replace all trim including coin door with Chrome plated hardware

Install 8383937 LED strips everywhere

GI OCD and GI LED boards

Full Cointaker ULTRA BRITE Purple GI bulbs

Add spotlights everywhere

Chrome cannon covers

Chrome flippers

Chrome flipper buttons

Chrome plated Borg ship

PDI glass

I’m sure more.
971A40F0-BDEC-429F-A918-F3AF545B286D (resized).jpeg971A40F0-BDEC-429F-A918-F3AF545B286D (resized).jpegC81659EA-41CF-43DA-A120-3A0916908FE0 (resized).jpegC81659EA-41CF-43DA-A120-3A0916908FE0 (resized).jpeg248762D0-349D-440B-868B-5260B784AE19 (resized).jpeg248762D0-349D-440B-868B-5260B784AE19 (resized).jpeg64DEBBBB-8B1D-4FA6-B703-1B0614BE5B9B (resized).png64DEBBBB-8B1D-4FA6-B703-1B0614BE5B9B (resized).pngEBA578C1-6E80-4547-B5DB-EF19F55D8001 (resized).jpegEBA578C1-6E80-4547-B5DB-EF19F55D8001 (resized).jpeg3C686AF7-7B47-4C31-818A-A1704E59C37C (resized).jpeg3C686AF7-7B47-4C31-818A-A1704E59C37C (resized).jpeg563733CC-66F6-4AB7-A4C1-479BA1A555D6 (resized).jpeg563733CC-66F6-4AB7-A4C1-479BA1A555D6 (resized).jpeg0DE8A62E-5D1C-49F8-AB3A-443841F93ABC (resized).jpeg0DE8A62E-5D1C-49F8-AB3A-443841F93ABC (resized).jpeg8B8ED728-16F8-4757-B393-85758D151560 (resized).jpeg8B8ED728-16F8-4757-B393-85758D151560 (resized).jpegE55045C1-3F26-4E4A-9005-2D874CC6A2B7 (resized).jpegE55045C1-3F26-4E4A-9005-2D874CC6A2B7 (resized).jpeg260E2D68-9131-4461-9410-4E16B99706B5 (resized).jpeg260E2D68-9131-4461-9410-4E16B99706B5 (resized).jpeg5434AA39-E349-4767-9BBD-B955ED114B2B (resized).jpeg5434AA39-E349-4767-9BBD-B955ED114B2B (resized).jpeg0451B09B-9BA5-4AFD-978F-ECD7BCDA3ABD (resized).jpeg0451B09B-9BA5-4AFD-978F-ECD7BCDA3ABD (resized).jpegFA5C9CDE-98F3-49B2-A2FC-8169CCAA1AB2 (resized).jpegFA5C9CDE-98F3-49B2-A2FC-8169CCAA1AB2 (resized).jpeg59F069B5-1374-4DCE-8370-9750E2339594 (resized).jpeg59F069B5-1374-4DCE-8370-9750E2339594 (resized).jpeg4BB85FDE-4858-4A75-B8D4-5A16469C4DB1 (resized).jpeg4BB85FDE-4858-4A75-B8D4-5A16469C4DB1 (resized).jpeg950161B6-A74B-4077-BDED-27952FC7286F (resized).jpeg950161B6-A74B-4077-BDED-27952FC7286F (resized).jpeg84256728-B003-4288-A619-D0F860E69582 (resized).jpeg84256728-B003-4288-A619-D0F860E69582 (resized).jpegFFC132BC-74E8-4927-8D9F-E5C2ABF7D194 (resized).jpegFFC132BC-74E8-4927-8D9F-E5C2ABF7D194 (resized).jpeg177F7813-431D-4A6D-B5EE-2EE5400F4337 (resized).jpeg177F7813-431D-4A6D-B5EE-2EE5400F4337 (resized).jpeg3E3D583E-7927-41A6-B048-9C0E1C81B4BC (resized).jpeg3E3D583E-7927-41A6-B048-9C0E1C81B4BC (resized).jpeg497AB14F-820A-4508-A628-B724EA05F5BF (resized).jpeg497AB14F-820A-4508-A628-B724EA05F5BF (resized).jpegCCA21957-49EA-4259-9C92-8D83AE7C9174 (resized).jpegCCA21957-49EA-4259-9C92-8D83AE7C9174 (resized).jpegF60111EC-3F65-4CE0-86ED-18EA2668508E (resized).jpegF60111EC-3F65-4CE0-86ED-18EA2668508E (resized).jpegFCC99918-BD4C-44E5-9606-04D8AB8A8BB8 (resized).jpegFCC99918-BD4C-44E5-9606-04D8AB8A8BB8 (resized).jpeg

#8838 1 year ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

ballsy taking off the Mylar . No paint removed while removing it ?

great job taking off years of dirt !

#8839 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

ballsy taking off the Mylar . No paint removed while removing it ?
great job taking off years of dirt !

Thanks a lot! Zero art lifted

I've done it before to other games with pretty good success... I let the duster cut / lift the Mylar.. I don't pull whatsoever.

#8840 1 year ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Here’s some pix of those who care… taken around 13 hours total… didn’t skip one step… didn’t half ass anything. Game plays rediculously fast.. ball hits the glass. Habitrails… airballs off the back drop target… it’s insane!
List so far of what I’ve done to it:
I wet sanded / polished every single ball trail
Waxed the entire playfield three times
Removed all factory Mylar (didn’t lift a single piece of art! ) and the adhesive from the mylar ( WHAT A FREAKING PAIN )
Flame polished every single ramp including subway
Replaced every single bulb with Cointaker LEDs ( Need to order more haven't completely gotten the color scheme where I want it yet )
2000 grit sandpapered launch lane to get all the black shit off
Installed all new rubbers
Plastic protectors and all new plastics ( 45 minutes to remove all the plastic wrap on the set )
Cleaned every single mech with 90% alcohol
Sleeved every single mech with new
Installed all new flipper coils, EOS switches and flipper mechs / bushings
Replaced a burnt J120 11 pin connector with new fixing string of GI out in backbox
Installed LX8 Rom
Added the tie back mod
Cleaned and reflowed solder on all optos attached on top subway
Rebuilt both cannons entirely
Rebuilt pop bumpers
Removed brushed aluminum side rails and replaced with mirror chrome ( still waiting on the rest of the hardware to arrive )
Replaced batteries
Wet sanded every piece of brushed aluminum metal on the playfield ( VUK housings )
***Still to do***
Color LED DMD
Pinsound + board and 2.1 Pinsound speakers
Replace all trim including coin door with Chrome plated hardware
Install 8383937 LED strips everywhere
GI OCD and GI LED boards
Full Cointaker ULTRA BRITE Purple GI bulbs
Add spotlights everywhere
Chrome cannon covers
Chrome flippers
Chrome flipper buttons
Chrome plated Borg ship
PDI glass
I’m sure more.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

great work

#8841 1 year ago

ingo333 so I’m wondering if the shuttle mission pattern, that you’ve now changed to random, is the same code and/or pattern that was used in 1993s Indiana Jones minecart mission. Seems they could be? You may have already laid groundwork for an improvement in that game if someone was ever inclined to do so.

#8842 1 year ago

Cool...
Bridge Rectifiers on power board?
optos and boards on ball trough? they are always hacked up
consider upgrading to the much improved "Dumb Ass" 16 opto board? It's amazing
cliffy protectors on all the holes and in the subway ?
time for adding my LCARS Display
time for adding my Borg Alcove Display (best yet and in version 49!!!)

#8843 1 year ago

Star Trek - The Pinball Experience
The Borg Alcove Display Mod (Version 50)
Enhancement for the STTNG pin. 3 screen captures from the completely custom designed 52 minute long screen mod.

Borg Room 4 (resized).pngBorg Room 4 (resized).pngBorg Room 5 (resized).pngBorg Room 5 (resized).pngBorg Room 6A (resized).pngBorg Room 6A (resized).png

location 1.00_07_35_01.Still006 (resized).jpglocation 1.00_07_35_01.Still006 (resized).jpg
#8844 1 year ago

She arrived ... after a stellar packing packing job from @toasterman4 it got a 6 hour free ride courtesy of teams transportation.
The game came in great condition, nicely painted ships, invisglass,a cabinet interior that looks brand new.
Colordmd has been installed, small tweaking with some lighting and installing the new ROM today .
Looking forward to many trouble free plays. Just waiting for the VUK decal set.
Nice to be back in this club.

7004649451 (1).jpg7004649451 (1).jpgIMG_20230307_075156_03.jpgIMG_20230307_075156_03.jpgIMG_20230307_075156_02.jpgIMG_20230307_075156_02.jpgIMG_20230307_075156_04.jpgIMG_20230307_075156_04.jpg20230317_101133.jpg20230317_101133.jpg20230317_101130.jpg20230317_101130.jpg20230317_101126.jpg20230317_101126.jpg20230317_101139.jpg20230317_101139.jpg20230317_181535.jpg20230317_181535.jpg20230317_181538.jpg20230317_181538.jpg

#8845 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

She arrived ... after a stellar packing packing job from @toasterman4 it got a 6 hour free ride courtesy of teams transportation.
The game came in great condition, nicely painted ships, invisglass,a cabinet interior that looks brand new.
Colordmd has been installed, small tweaking with some lighting and installing the new ROM today .
Looking forward to many trouble free plays. Just waiting for the VUK decal set.
Nice to be back in this club.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats! Change those bottom flipper coils to 11629s and you will be happier. I bought all new 636s thinking it should have those since the prototypes came with them… but they have a terrible flipper hold compared to the 629s and a fast ball will force your bat down (very annoying especially in multiball when balls are cradled )

#8846 1 year ago

Return to Duty...

906 or 555.. ?

#8847 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Return to Duty...
906 or 555.. ?

906 - it's part of the flasher circuit.

#8848 1 year ago
Quoted from Davi:

906 - it's part of the flasher circuit.

Thanks ... not in manual and most flashers in game were 6.3V

#8849 1 year ago

Guess putting 2 Rubber bands and a paperclip It's a nifty mod to stop the ball from draining out the right side!

Game has extensions as well

20230318_170820.jpg20230318_170820.jpg

#8850 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Guess putting 2 Rubber bands and a paperclip I'd a nifty mod to stop the ball from draining out the right side!
Game has extensions as well

[quoted image]

So I'm guessing the GC is 1 trillion with those mods

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 63.95
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 9.95
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.99
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
There are 10,379 posts in this topic. You are on page 177 of 208.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/177 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.