IMG_1999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240414_092939 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,370 posts in this topic. You are on page 176 of 208.
#8751 1 year ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:

I just installed a GI OCD board, it seemed to work fine for a few minutes and then the game spontaneously reset. I tried again, it reset again, this time after only about 30 seconds. The cycle continued with shorter and shorter times until it would basically just reset continuously. I powered down, tried again, it immediately started resetting in attract mode. I unplugged the GI OCD board and replaced all the connectors and played 2 games with no issue. The game did reset recently when I was in the final frontier but otherwise has seemed stable. Any thoughts on if this is an issue with the OCD board or am I just on the edge of the dreaded 5V reset issue and the OCD has put me over the top?

Is the OCD board using 5v or 12v power - what connector is it getting its power from?
Does you game happen to have a kahr / no-more-reset board?
Do you have a DMM to measure the TP voltages on the power driver board and also check the 5v voltage on the CPU board?

#8752 1 year ago

Stardate... last Saturday. This is the voyage to get a Star Trek Next Generation pin. After an eight hour mission, I arrived at the uncharted territory of Florida. I met many strange creatures and new civilizations.

I've wanted a STTNG for years, it was my favorite machine when it came out and I haven't played it in over 20 years. The stars aligned and I was able to pick up this incredibly nice pin from Will at Old Town Pinball. Super nice guy, I recommend working with him if you get a chance.

I think this machine has every mod available except the lane extenders. I removed the Enterprise ornament mod, the rest can stay for awhile until I figure out what I do/don't like. I think the Borg ship and cannons are a tiny bit too dark.

This machine has all LEDs, but no LEDOCD board. The picture in this post looks WAY more blue and saturated than it does in real life, the LEDs were really well done on this, it looks great but there are definite ghosting/flickering issues. A friend is burning the new LX-8 rom for me. My understanding is that rom contains a patch that might eliminate the need for that LEDOCD board?

PXL_20230307_163343892 (resized).jpgPXL_20230307_163343892 (resized).jpg
#8753 1 year ago
Quoted from splickety_lit:

Stardate... last Saturday. This is the voyage to get a Star Trek Next Generation pin. After an eight hour mission, I arrived at the uncharted territory of Florida. I met many strange creatures and new civilizations.
I've wanted a STTNG for years, it was my favorite machine when it came out and I haven't played it in over 20 years. The stars aligned and I was able to pick up this incredibly nice pin from Will at Old Town Pinball. Super nice guy, I recommend working with him if you get a chance.
I think this machine has every mod available except the lane extenders. I removed the Enterprise ornament mod, the rest can stay for awhile until I figure out what I do/don't like. I think the Borg ship and cannons are a tiny bit too dark.
This machine has all LEDs, but no LEDOCD board. The picture in this post looks WAY more blue and saturated than it does in real life, the LEDs were really well done on this, it looks great but there are definite ghosting/flickering issues. A friend is burning the new LX-8 rom for me. My understanding is that rom contains a patch that might eliminate the need for that LEDOCD board?[quoted image]

The patch fixes ghosting but not the flickering. STTNG uses fancy dimming effects that can only work with the LED-OCD and GI-OCD boards. You actually need both for this game - if you want the full lighting effects the game was designed for.

#8754 1 year ago

MrMikeman is correct. There is still flickering evident with just the rom patch or LX-8.
For me I've learned to live with it; that said, I haven't done a 100% led conversion. Backbox is very noticeable with even a few LEDs.

I haven't bitten the OCD apple yet. I worried I'll want it for both my WMS machines (Monster Bash and STNG).
I do have a DE OCD-Like product I haven't installed in my DE star trek... That's just me being lazy.

#8755 1 year ago
Quoted from Zitt:

MrMikeman is correct. There is still flickering evident with just the rom patch or LX-8.
For me I've learned to live with it; that said, I haven't done a 100% led conversion. Backbox is very noticeable with even a few LEDs.
I haven't bitten the OCD apple yet. I worried I'll want it for both my WMS machines (Monster Bash and STNG).
I do have a DE OCD-Like product I haven't installed in my DE star trek... That's just me being lazy.

I remove my OCD products when I move games that had them. Too expensive to replace and some folks don't care about the flickering. I do the same with ColorDMD and Pinsound. I refuse to sell them no matter what the buyer offers. I've even had some offer full cost of replacement and the answer is still a big fat NO. lol

#8756 1 year ago

Left this club on page 66...

Back in again , only pin that I regretted selling ....
Looking forward to having one back .

IMG_20230307_075156_03 (resized).jpgIMG_20230307_075156_03 (resized).jpgIMG_20230307_075156_04 (resized).jpgIMG_20230307_075156_04 (resized).jpg
#8757 1 year ago

Can anyone help me do the upgrade?

I don’t have any of the tools to program chips.

#8758 1 year ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I'd offer to burn if for you but by the time you or I find the correct EPROM, pay to have it shipped to me and then to you it's most likely more cost effective for you to just order it from someone who's selling it already burnt.

#8759 1 year ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I’m burning one for a friend, pm me I think I have three blanks.

#8760 1 year ago

Anyone in Europe selling this ? (or willing to ship to the Netherlands?)

#8761 1 year ago

I had a few PMs for LX8 EPROMs. All spoken for now, but I have more EPROMs on the way if anyone needs one. I'm not looking to make anything from this, so they are $4.20 (my cost) + shipping to you. PM if you need one.

#8762 1 year ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

https://shop.thepinwitch.com/Elektronik/Eprom-s/star-trek-tng-eprom-cpu-lx8.html

#8763 1 year ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

I could burn it for you

#8764 1 year ago

So am I the only one, that goes to adjust one thing (the spiral ramp) and next thing you know your playfield looks like this

20230305_190428 (resized).jpg20230305_190428 (resized).jpg
#8765 1 year ago

I need to do that to my game for a cleaning but I’m afraid I’ll never put it back together!

#8766 1 year ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

I need to do that to my game for a cleaning but I’m afraid I’ll never put it back together!

Warning it may look like this underneath

20230305_171017 (resized).jpg20230305_171017 (resized).jpg
#8767 1 year ago

I'm impressed by your... dedication.
I'm afraid any restore teardown like that would have to wait until I'm retired with nothing but time.

#8768 1 year ago

Who sells the flipper decals?

#8769 1 year ago

Ive always loved this game, tried to buy one past few days but doesn't seem its going to materialize.

Luckily another Pinsider offered to let me borrow his, he's a class act.

#8770 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

Who sells the flipper decals?

Part of the "full" vuk decal kit here:
http://pinball.click/TNGvukDress

#8771 1 year ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Part of the "full" vuk decal kit here

After seeing these on #jesperpark game, these are a must have.

The package just completes the game

#8772 1 year ago

Yes, they look great! Anyone know an EU distributor for those?

#8774 1 year ago

Thanks - ordered!

After fixing the dim GI - replaced connectors both on wire harness and PCB, and upgrading to LX-8, this is a very logical choice. (Thank you Mr. Data)

#8775 1 year ago

I cannot vouch for the pinballshop.nl product as they *may* be a knock off of the original Nycon design. Just be aware that they may not be up to the same quality if they are "copies" of the original vector artwork. If it doubt; ask them if they licensed the product directly from Nycon.

#8776 1 year ago

What Zitt said. There are 2 versions of the product. One is the real stuff printed on brushed aluminum. The other is a cheap low-quality knock-off printed on vinyl and laminated. They are NOT the same. Ask me how I know

#8777 1 year ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Is the OCD board using 5v or 12v power - what connector is it getting its power from?
Does you game happen to have a kahr / no-more-reset board?
Do you have a DMM to measure the TP voltages on the power driver board and also check the 5v voltage on the CPU board?

I worked through the Pinwiki WPC reset troubleshooting guide and seem to have hit it at section 6.18.11 https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_WPC#Poor_Connections_between_the_Power.2FDriver_board.2C_the_CPU.2C_and_other_PCBs

The DC voltage at TP2 was 4.95V and at Pin 32 of the ROM was 4.66V. I eliminated the Z-connector between J114 and J210 by soldering the wires together and now the readings are almost bang on. I reconnected the GI OCD board and it's working great. On to the LED OCD...

#8778 1 year ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:

I worked through the Pinwiki WPC reset troubleshooting guide and seem to have hit it at section 6.18.11 https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_WPC#Poor_Connections_between_the_Power.2FDriver_board.2C_the_CPU.2C_and_other_PCBs
The DC voltage at TP2 was 4.95V and at Pin 32 of the ROM was 4.66V. I eliminated the Z-connector between J114 and J210 by soldering the wires together and now the readings are almost bang on. I reconnected the GI OCD board and it's working great. On to the LED OCD...

TP2 is a bit low.. I'd order the 5v regulator anyway if it has not already been replaced. Preferably the one recommended in pinwiki.

#8779 1 year ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

One is the real stuff printed on brushed aluminum. The other is a cheap low-quality knock-off printed on vinyl and laminated. They are NOT the same

The website says they are aluminum. I will let you know the quality when they arrive.

#8780 1 year ago

Last call. LX-8 burned EPROMs for $4.20 + actual shipping. I have two left. Shipping this week.

Edit: all gone!

#8781 1 year ago

So I’ve been rocking the LX-8 chip, and I’ve noticed something weird with the Highscores..

Most notably the GC score.. my initials are LUK… the GC score has been set on the machine since the night I installed the Lx-8. I just noticed having looked at the machine.. grand champ scores initials have somehow changed to “Q”

Odd.. curious if anyone has had anything similar happen.

#8782 1 year ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

So I’ve been rocking the LX-8 chip, and I’ve noticed something weird with the Highscores..
Most notably the GC score.. my initials are LUK… the GC score has been set on the machine since the night I installed the Lx-8. I just noticed having looked at the machine.. grand champ scores initials have somehow changed to “Q”
Odd.. curious if anyone has had anything similar happen.

That's exactly like the original code. It's a joke. It'll randomly show Q sometimes instead of the real initials.

#8783 1 year ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

That's exactly like the original code. It's a joke. It'll randomly show Q sometimes instead of the real initials.

Oh wow hahaha. Okay good deal.

LX-8 has been a fantastic upgrade. I do love the Shuttle simulation being random now.

#8784 1 year ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Nope, that wasn't it after all.
This switch matrix glitch is kicking my ass!

The rabbit hole deepens. I've now lost all coils, GIs and flashers. On top of that, I'm getting a switch matrix error in rows 1 and 2.

I've traced the switch matrix issues to the MPU board, which is a Rottendog replacement by the previous owner. Has anyone else had issues with these replacement boards causing issues?

I feel I should mention there's a ColorDMD on my STTNG. I read somewhere else that the ColorDMD was causing switch errors on a DemoMan , which also had a Rottendog MPU.

#8785 1 year ago

Hey guys, is this the screen that shows LX-7 or LX-8 or LX-whatever? If so, what is this my machine has?

1091F02A-2F30-4217-BE60-9D10FF31BECD (resized).jpeg1091F02A-2F30-4217-BE60-9D10FF31BECD (resized).jpeg7282C364-AA55-41D6-96FE-69C32722EF4E (resized).jpeg7282C364-AA55-41D6-96FE-69C32722EF4E (resized).jpeg
#8786 1 year ago

The new LX-8 sounds rad!

Does anyone know if its compatible with a Color DMD display? Wasn't sure if it has new gfx/animations added. Cheers.

#8787 1 year ago
Quoted from thewool:

The new LX-8 sounds rad!
Does anyone know if its compatible with a Color DMD display? Wasn't sure if it has new gfx/animations added. Cheers.

The CPU (LX-8) ROM has nothing to do with the display ROMS that are located on the DMD controller. So there's no effect on any display, ColorDMD or not. It's also been specifically confirmed in this thread within the last few weeks.

Edit: I had a brain fart. Yes the display stuff is on the LX-8 rom but it all works.

#8788 1 year ago

WPC games have all the display stuff in the CPU ROM. There are no ROMs on the DMD controller board.

#8789 1 year ago

As others have said, colordmd is fully compatible. I have it and LX-8 has caused no problems.

Maurizio

#8790 1 year ago
Quoted from maur:

As others have said, colordmd is fully compatible. I have it and LX-8 has caused no problems.
Maurizio

I have a Color PIN2DMD in mine and LX-8 works well with that too.

#8791 1 year ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

Hey guys, is this the screen that shows LX-7 or LX-8 or LX-whatever? If so, what is this my machine has?
[quoted image][quoted image]

You don't have 8 you have one of the many patched led roms that float around.

#8792 1 year ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

What Zitt said. There are 2 versions of the product. One is the real stuff printed on brushed aluminum. The other is a cheap low-quality knock-off printed on vinyl and laminated. They are NOT the same. Ask me how I know

Ugh...well, count me as another to have fallen for it. That's what I get for buying from a store on pinside I guess. Just ordered the real ones.

#8793 1 year ago

DX-76 is probably LX-7 with the ghost patch applied.

There is no impact to ColorDMD with LX-8. runs fine.

Quoted from sparksterz:

Ugh...well, count me as another to have fallen for it. That's what I get for buying from a store on pinside I guess. Just ordered the real ones.

yeah, sorry - the store here on Pinside has "printed" crap. The design is obviously ripped off from Nycon.

#8794 1 year ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

The CPU (LX-8) ROM has nothing to do with the display ROMS that are located on the DMD controller. So there's no effect on any display, ColorDMD or not. It's also been specifically confirmed in this thread within the last few weeks.
Edit: I had a brain fart. Yes the display stuff is on the LX-8 rom but it all works.

Thank you.

#8795 1 year ago

Joined the club today with our 3rd Trek machine! Very excited to get this fine example in our home.

It’s like new, playfield was stripped down by my local dealer, cleaned, new alpha and beta ramps installed, all subway ramps, mechs and assemblies were cleaned along with under every lamp insert. Then converted to non ghosting LED’s. Cabinet is original art, zero fade and looks new.

Looking forward to ordering a color DMD for it next

149F002C-8BF6-4823-BB97-9E0BA7432562 (resized).jpeg149F002C-8BF6-4823-BB97-9E0BA7432562 (resized).jpeg2DC969F1-8E69-4B2F-B2F5-EFDBF4126A3A (resized).jpeg2DC969F1-8E69-4B2F-B2F5-EFDBF4126A3A (resized).jpeg
#8796 1 year ago
Quoted from cldgin2:Joined the club today with our 3rd Trek machine! Very excited to get this fine example in our home.
It’s like new, playfield was stripped down by my local dealer, cleaned, new alpha and beta ramps installed, all subway ramps, mechs and assemblies were cleaned along with under every lamp insert. Then converted to non ghosting LED’s. Cabinet is original art, zero fade and looks new.
Looking forward to ordering a color DMD for it next [quoted image][quoted image]

Now you need the very cool Data East Star Trek. Suggestions. Inspect your machine for the must have LX-8 Rom release. In addition, Pinsound is as worthy of an upgrade as color dmd. Be sure your nice machine has the "Tie-Back" mod installed to prevent blowing up some coils and a mini 8 driver board.
Also consider LED OCD and GI OCD enhancements.

#8797 1 year ago

Packed and heading to its new home.
Only 5 hours away but being in logistics a customer is moving it for free. Sweet bonus the game also has inviglass .

7004649451.jpg7004649451.jpg

#8798 1 year ago

So... was there ever a fix for the weak optos / flippers after installing color dmd? I saw posts 8 - 10 years ago saying add a power supply.. But was curious has this been fixed via a firmware update from color dmd, or are we still adding power supplies to retain the flipper strength?

#8799 1 year ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

So... was there ever a fix for the weak optos / flippers after installing color dmd? I saw posts 8 - 10 years ago saying add a power supply.. But was curious has this been fixed via a firmware update from color dmd, or are we still adding power supplies to retain the flipper strength?

The only fix to too many things on the same circuit sucking power is to have more power - has nothing to do with firmware. I installed a separate 12V power supply for my Pinsound and ColorDMD. The 12V on STTNG is what runs all the optos so I left that alone since there are so many on this game.. Oh and it's a 30 year old game.

Some folks have success without an additional power supply. Depends on your game. There's no "one-size-fits-all" solution.

#8800 1 year ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

It's not a "fix", it's maintenance. Look through your system for old connectors, old bridges, and many other electrical wear items. Firmware has nothing to do with it. Adding 12 volts "mods" will kill a system however. Flipper strength can be improved via a rebuild and proper coils.

Adding power supplies helps for additional mods, so you DON'T tap the system power needs. I would suggest looking from page ONE of this blog, tons of information here will provide you dozens of answers and suggestions.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 15.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.99
$ 9.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
There are 10,370 posts in this topic. You are on page 176 of 208.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/176?hl=cldgin2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.