IMG_1999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240414_092939 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,379 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 208.
#651 7 years ago

Milestone achieved.
After nearly 6 years I finally got warp 9.9 today! It was one of those days the game was flipping as smooth as butter and I was effortlessly making the shots. Either way in the past I always choked after 9.7. Really cool sound effect and animation at the end as well. I want to do it again now!

#652 7 years ago

Take the glass off and simulate it.... No shame on doing that unless you keep the high-score...

#653 7 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Milestone achieved.
After nearly 6 years I finally got warp 9.9 today! It was one of those days the game was flipping as smooth as butter and I was effortlessly making the shots. Either way in the past I always choked after 9.7. Really cool sound effect and animation at the end as well. I want to do it again now!

It seems to be a good time for max warp. I managed to get to 9.9 on Sunday for the first time (got the game 3 years now)!

I got caught in a really fun Picard Maneuver frenzy, went from warp 4 to 9.9 by perfectly consecutive shots.

#654 7 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

I got caught in a really fun Picard Maneuver frenzy, went from warp 4 to 9.9 by perfectly consecutive shots.

That's interesting because I got my Picard Maneuver on the same game in a Borg super jackpot hit. It was cool in itself. Congrats on achieving yours!

#655 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Take the glass off and simulate it.... No shame on doing that unless you keep the high-score.

That steals away all the fun a earning it though. I still have never done that on any game I've owed, even ones ive sold, since I may buy it back someday. Though I may have to with LOTR since there is no chance of me ever getting it's wizard mode.

#656 7 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

That steals away all the fun a earning it though.

Of course I know that!

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I still have never done that on any game I've owed, even ones ive sold, since I may buy it back someday. Though I may have to with LOTR since there is no chance of me ever getting it's wizard mode.

What would you say if you die tomorrow and didn't experience LotR's wizard mode with your own pin? Do it just because you can, for the experience and the cheer of it, and then don't keep the hi-score, that's all I'm saying!

#657 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

What would you say if you die tomorrow and didn't experience LotR's wizard mode with your own pin?

Nothing. I'd be dead and wouldn't care.

#658 7 years ago

So it took me a while for me to get back to this, but I finally am trying to finish trouble shooting my cannon lights that wouldn't light. I followed the wires back and found a connection on the right side undone, once connected the right side works, but still not the left. The equivalent connection on the left is connected. I checked the bulb on the left, it is good.

I'm guessing that someone disconnected the right side because it is irritating to have only one side work, but not very noticeable of both don't light up. (Unless you know they should)

So where do I go from here in tracking down why the left won't light?

#659 7 years ago

Check the diode?

#660 7 years ago

Also the wiring harness.. .

1 week later
#661 7 years ago

Did I mention ... this is the only pin in my collection that I still play?

#662 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I'd say you got quite a collection and I think STtNG is your best pin.... will u sell the others?

#663 7 years ago

Thank you, I also agree, STTNG is the best one. Even though the other don't get any play anymore, I like having them and not interested in selling any of them at this time.

#664 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

wow!

#665 7 years ago

Yep, I play 1 or 2 games on it almost every day

#666 7 years ago

My STTNG has had minor repairs completed and has left dry dock to rejoin the Fleet. This pin can be a pita but it sure is sweet when its dialed in and playing admirably.

#667 7 years ago

Time for another random rebuild pics ... this is for the special slingshot switches that were used in STTNG. If you are doing a rebuild an planning on tossing these switches ... DON'T DO IT!

Here is the switch still attached to the harness ... this was one of the better of the four, unfortunately I didn't take pictures of all these switches in every step of the restoration.

unobtanium_switch1_(resized).jpgunobtanium_switch1_(resized).jpg

Switch Disassembled ...

unobtainium_switch2_(resized).jpgunobtainium_switch2_(resized).jpg

Not the exact switch, but a similar one after straightening and tumbling...with new brass rivets of course; all the switches were tumbled together, but I only took one picture of a post tumbled switch before putting them all back together.

1078_(resized).JPG1078_(resized).JPG

Completed switch ...

unobtanium_switch3_(resized).jpgunobtanium_switch3_(resized).jpg

#668 7 years ago

mine has been down for a couple weeks, I used to play it every day..

#669 7 years ago
Quoted from ibjames:

mine has been down for a couple weeks, I used to play it every day..

Fix it...there is nothing that should keep it down that long

#670 7 years ago
Quoted from ibjames:

mine has been down for a couple weeks

What's the problem?

#671 7 years ago

To out newest member GPS ... Congratulations on your recent STTNG purchase!!!

#672 7 years ago

Does anyone have any recommendations in terms of leds for the playfield ? I was thinking of just using warm whites on all of the inserts apart from some that I may colour match but still use incandescent for the GI.

#673 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

Does anyone have any recommendations in terms of leds for the playfield ? I was thinking of just using warm whites on all of the inserts apart from some that I may colour match but still use incandescent for the GI.

No, no. Color match the inserts. And use cool white for the GI instead of warm white. It makes the game look better than brand new. Cool white light amplifies colors on the cool end of the color spectrum -- blues and purples -- and the art on this game is heavy on those colors.

With cool white GI and color-matched inserts, STTNG looks like it could have rolled off the Stern assembly line last week (well, if it weren't a wide body with a ton of toys and a subway )

Warm white is better for games with oranges, yellows, and reds in the artwork, or games you want to have a vintage feel.

#674 7 years ago

(And if you want it to look even better than a modern Stern, invest in LED OCD and a GI OCD, although admittedly that's a significant investment)

#675 7 years ago

Thanks , all i need to know now is whether to go frosted or not / the domed or flat headed leds. All these options are a real headache at the start

#676 7 years ago

Some of the inserts in this game are a real challenge to find the right LED for. The shields will need the flex head blue (its actually called something else I can't remember right now) from container and the Jackpot at the center scoop is another one that benefits from a flex head, either white or red if you are color matching.

#677 7 years ago

I wouldn't put LEDs in the GI unless you get GI OCD. This game uses dimming of the GI in several modes and the flickering in of the LEDs when dimmed looks awful. Remember, the shield inserts are GI too.

If you go LED, I strongly suggest Comet Cyan flex head LEDs and flex head flashers for the shield inserts. The color is almost a perfect match.

#678 7 years ago

I bought a kit from cointaker and it was spot on. I agree that colormatched inserts is the way. It makes it look amazing.

#679 7 years ago

Personally, I like frosted 1SMD for colored inserts (with flex heads where appropriate), and frosted 2SMD (cool white) for the GI. Then I would add two spots on the slings to brighten up the center of the PF which is too far away from the GI to be light and is normally quite dark.

#680 7 years ago

Can anyone help with a few part? Need the top screw, small washer and little metal tube sleeve, that hold in the top of the A-17313-2 flipper return guide. It's a wood type screw with rounded philips head. Checked both the manual and the William's green book. Thanks in advance!

#681 7 years ago

these are the parts you are looking for...you should be able to get these from a local hardware store. FYI, the graph paper is 5mm not 1/4"

2016-08-09_22-12-11_(resized).jpg2016-08-09_22-12-11_(resized).jpg

#682 7 years ago

I looked for similar parts for Firepower and was never able to find them at the normal places. I ended up making my own using aluminum tubing from the hobby shop and I beleive it was a 1 inch #4 or maybe #5 wood screw from the hardware store. Pick up the screw first and use it to choose your tubing.

#683 7 years ago

Thank you both for the help, I'll have to hit up a good old fashioned hardware store.

#684 7 years ago

NP! Also, take the outlane frame along to ensure your screw fits the hole in the frame and your tubing is no wider than the narrow tip of the guide.

#685 7 years ago

The most important thing to keep in mind when selecting these parts is...you want to have as little play as possible when mating the sleeve and screw, too much play and the sleeve will be able to move and cause damage to your playfield.

1 week later
#686 7 years ago

Helping a friend. Hits start and ball does not launch. I'll get more info but I usually start thinking ball trough

#687 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Helping a friend. Hits start and ball does not launch. I'll get more info but I usually start thinking ball trough

Does it not load the catapult? (possible coil, wire, driver issue) or does it not launch the ball when you pull the trigger? (possible wire, trigger switch, or catapult switch)

I'm assuming the game starts, if not possible bad wire, or start switch...

...or you need to put in the required currency first

#688 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Does it not load the catapult? (possible coil, wire, driver issue) or does it not launch the ball when you pull the trigger? (possible wire, trigger switch, or catapult loaded switch)

Thx I think it is not loading catapult I'll get info when he gets in front of the pin

#689 7 years ago

Random picture ...

STTNG DMD Controller having a bubble bath ...

1090 (resized).JPG1090 (resized).JPG

#690 7 years ago

It makes me cringe every time I wash a PCB...feels so wrong.

#691 7 years ago

I just purchased a STTNG and it seems I have an issue in the upper right of the playfield. Any ideas on how best to address it?

Many thanks for any advice,

- Brian

sttng right playfield issue (resized).jpegsttng right playfield issue (resized).jpeg

#692 7 years ago

...eek... I have a friend with the same issue.
AFAIK; the only option is to remove the mylar, replace the insert, apply waterslide decal, and reinstall mylar.
We haven't done his yet... may never do it given the amount of work ... and likelihood of a screw up.

Maybe someone else has a suggestion.

#693 7 years ago
Quoted from Bdkorn:

I just purchased a STTNG and it seems I have an issue in the upper right of the playfield. Any ideas on how best to address it?
Many thanks for any advice,
- Brian

My right lane lens also has the light burn, but has not burned through to make the hole. So this has me concerned for what could lay ahead.

#694 7 years ago

It looks to me that just the Mylar has failed. I would carefully remove and put in new Mylar.

#695 7 years ago

I can't tell from the picture but is the insert broken or is just the clear chipped?

If the clear is chipped, you could remove the mylar and clean off the chipped clear. Prop up the playfield with books and such until it is level with the ground. Fill the divot with UV curable clear which is water thin and should level out nicely. Once you are happy with the level, hit it with a UV flashlight to cure and you should be good to go! If you spill or get the clear somewhere where you don't want it, simply wipe it off before you hit it with UV to cure.

#696 7 years ago

Thanks all for the advice (I am new to pinball)... BTW: All the lamps have been replaced with LED's so I shouldn't get any more damage. Once the machine is delivered I will take off the mylar and see what's up. Where can I get the insert if it can't be repaired?

- Brian

#697 7 years ago
Quoted from Bdkorn:

Once the machine is delivered I will take off the mylar

If your new to pinball read the other forums of how to remove Mylar!
Could do more damage

#698 7 years ago

Random STTNG pic (my way of bumping)

IMG_1752 (resized).JPGIMG_1752 (resized).JPG

#699 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Thx I think it is not loading catapult I'll get info when he gets in front of the pin

Fixed. He reflowed pins in ball trough. Hope this helps someone in 100 years

#700 7 years ago

Hi folks, does anyone have any cool instruction cards for STTNG they would like to share?

I have none at the moment, first stop was pinballcards.com but would like something more faithful to the NCC-1701D.

Cheers!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 15.00
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 64.99
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 9.95
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,379 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 208.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.