IMG_1999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240414_092939 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,370 posts in this topic. You are on page 121 of 208.
#6001 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Is there a list of the other unused callouts in STTNG? It would be great if any new code updates for the game end up using some of them as intended.

The easiest way is to download pinsound studio and the original sound pack. You can hear/play all the sounds from the roms. The “funny” roms has probably a dozen weird sound calls that aren’t used.

#6002 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

The easiest way is to download pinsound studio and the original sound pack. You can hear/play all the sounds from the roms. The “funny” roms has probably a dozen weird sound calls that aren’t used.

I installed Pinsound on my restore. I'll have to do that when I finish it.

#6003 2 years ago

I am in MD. Anyone in the area want to help a STTNF with 2-3 issues, Resets, opto issue and left cannon not calibrating. Paid job. Game is for sale too. I did a nice job shopping and adding LEDs and fixed tons of little issues a year ago. But some new things have cropped up. PM me for info if you are interested.

#6004 2 years ago

Is there a list of the other unused callouts in STTNG? It would be great if any new code updates for the game end up using some of them as intended.

We need to get that quote, plus a few of the "silly ROM" quotes, in to the mix with Pinsound. Every time Picard says "We will never surrender!" I will say back "unless you pay us enough!" in my bad Picard impersonator voice.

#6005 2 years ago

So does anybody know of a way to actually pull the audio clips from the STTNG "Special X7" ROMs? I supposed you could install the vpinmame emulator and play the game and get it to play all the sound bytes during a game, and record them. But, they might be mixed with other music. Still though, I'm tempted to try this unless there's an easier way that somebody knows of.

#6006 2 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

So does anybody know of a way to actually pull the audio clips from the STTNG "Special X7" ROMs? I supposed you could install the vpinmame emulator and play the game and get it to play all the sound bytes during a game, and record them. But, they might be mixed with other music. Still though, I'm tempted to try this unless there's an easier way that somebody knows of.

Download the audio package from the pinsound site and play with pinsound studio.

#6007 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Do the Shield inserts do anything during gameplay?
Is there an extra ball in the Shuttle Simulation?
I love my ST:TNG, which is my all time favorite game and has lasted over 2 years in my collection, longer than anything else. I have noticed that the shields seem to be tied to the G.I. but it seems to me that they ought to turn off during the Romulan and Borg fights when "Shields are down". Are they supposed to go on and off? Where would I troubleshoot this?
Also, I have still to this day never gotten an extra ball in the shuttle simulation. I usually get around 99 million. What is the flipper code?
Thanks![quoted image]

Comments on the LED OCD and GI OCD boards for the Star Trek Next Gen are correct. If you are upgrading to LEDs (and you should be for dozens of good reasons), and don't want flicker / strobing (and you don't), and you want the smooth lighting effects and dimming shields to work (and you do),
those boards are fantastic. I would suggest them for ANY machine with LEDS in fact.

EASY TEST. Go into settings and RUN the GI lighting test, with cycles through 7 GI strings from OFF to full brightness. Without the boards youll see terrible results until brightness (7) ON. If you are restoring a STTNG, these are a must.

DSC02414 (resized).JPGDSC02414 (resized).JPGIMG_20201111_085252 (resized).jpgIMG_20201111_085252 (resized).jpg
#6008 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Download the audio package from the pinsound site and play with pinsound studio.

These are the sounds I want:

Maybe I can record the audio from YouTube.

#6009 2 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

These are the sounds I want:
Maybe I can record the audio from YouTube.

I do see a mix here that might be it: STTNG_Music_Levelling_SFXMIX_Special_ROMS.zip
I'll give it a shot...

EDIT: Yep that's it! You can see all the new quotes in the "voice" folder. Now to add these in to the STTNG_Ultimate.

#6010 2 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

I do see a mix here that might be it: STTNG_Music_Levelling_SFXMIX_Special_ROMS.zip
I'll give it a shot...
EDIT: Yep that's it! You can see all the new quotes in the "voice" folder. Now to add these in to the STTNG_Ultimate.

I’ve used some of that unused speech to make other phrases and inserted them into the regular callouts. What I really like about pinsound is you can put a bunch of different music or voice callouts in the folders and the game will use random ones within those folders. Keeps the game fresh. I have Patrick Stewart swearing a lot in my game but not always since it’s random and I’ve kept the original callouts in the folders in addition to my new ones.

The look on unsuspecting pinheads when they hear Captain Picard say “F$&*# Brilliant!” And other similar things is priceless lol. I always get the “did he just say what I think he did???”.. hell yes..

Here’s a small sample(please do not listen if you are offended by swearing - this isn’t for everybody):

#6011 2 years ago

Man, your really need some purple wingLEDs on that Klingon bird of prey

#6012 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Man, your really need some purple wingLEDs on that Klingon bird of prey

Maybe. BTW that video was taken before I de-puked it back to warm white.

#6013 2 years ago

So I’ve upgraded to the pinsound and I’m loving it so far. Install was easy and pretty straightforward. Now I’m wanting to do something with my LEDs. I’ve noticed everyone talking about GI OCD and LED OCD. I can’t get both at the moment but can get one of them. Which should I get first?

#6014 2 years ago

So what are some of the best mods/upgrades for STTNG? In your own opinions?

#6015 2 years ago

IMO the ColorDMD LED display is a must have

#6016 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

IMO the ColorDMD LED display is a must have

Agreed. but I like the LCD better.
I have other suggestions; but they would sound self serving.
I haven't done pinsound yet. I have a older pinsound I just haven't installed.
I don't know if I will because I don't like the delay the pinsound has when you first turn it on while waiting on the firmware of the card to boot.

#6017 2 years ago

QUESTION?
PinSound just released a firmware update (July 2021). Looking for the changelog and didn't see it on their site. Anyone know what changed?
I'll be upgrading it anyway, but I am always curious about what got fixed, improved or added.
Thanks.

Just returned from Las Vegas over the 4th of July holiday. Pinball Hall of Fame was great!!

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPGPSX_20210703_120313 (resized).jpgPSX_20210703_120313 (resized).jpg
#6018 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Agreed. but I like the LCD better.

Unless they have come up with a new version with smaller LCD aren’t those a pain to install? Ones I’ve seen are huge. Both the LED and LCD look great but the LED seems like more of a drop in replacement.

I ended up picking up a color PIN2DMD for mine. Have one I installed in Independence Day 4 to replace a bad DMD and was really happy with the way it worked. Colorization support isn’t done for as many games as ColorDMD but Star Trek was one on the list too.

#6019 2 years ago

Here is a sample of the LED OCD working in a STTNG pin.

#6020 2 years ago

Why is it taking so long for my cannons to load? I was watching a YouTube video of someone playing and it seemed like the balls were getting loaded into his cannons way faster then mine. During launch probe, it takes a couple seconds at least.

#6021 2 years ago

Unless they have come up with a new version with smaller LCD aren’t those a pain to install? Ones I’ve seen are huge. Both the LED and LCD look great but the LED seems like more of a drop in replacement.
I ended up picking up a color PIN2DMD for mine. Have one I installed in Independence Day 4 to replace a bad DMD and was really happy with the way it worked. Colorization support isn’t done for as many games as ColorDMD but Star Trek was one on the list too.

I have a Pin2DMD in my STTNG. Works really well and looks great, supposed to be one of the best colorizations out there.

#6022 2 years ago

Does anyone have a picture of the ball lock underneath that is supposed to have a tie back. Very small coil. Not sure if the mechanism should be so lax or I’m missing a piece.
Thanks Jeff

#6023 2 years ago

Hi guys - I am pretty sure I know the answer but.... The start mission scoop - this is a solid piece right - 3 pieces spot welded together?

Mine rattles and is 3 separate pieces....

15E5B07F-2608-44D8-B975-20D1935AAF82 (resized).jpeg15E5B07F-2608-44D8-B975-20D1935AAF82 (resized).jpegCD818F07-7B4A-490B-B619-CB2FD1DA2916 (resized).jpegCD818F07-7B4A-490B-B619-CB2FD1DA2916 (resized).jpeg
#6024 2 years ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

Hi guys - I am pretty sure I know the answer but.... The start mission scoop - this is a solid piece right - 3 pieces spot welded together?
Mine rattles and is 3 separate pieces....
[quoted image][quoted image]

they (Marco, Pinball Life or Planetary Pinball) one of them sells replacement scoops, toss that one. You likely have other broken things in the machine too. Check so you can get the other items at the same time.

#6025 2 years ago
Quoted from Jeff1960:

Does anyone have a picture of the ball lock underneath that is supposed to have a tie back. Very small coil. Not sure if the mechanism should be so lax or I’m missing a piece.
Thanks Jeff

There are several methods for doing the Tie Back required mod. (Do them all - it prevents future burnout of the mini driver board and subway coils.) Multiple examples doing a search on this blog. The drop target is what you are referring too. I replaced my due to broken and missing pieces. Some techs run a little wire there for the "tie back", ok. But there are other and additional places too.

#6026 2 years ago

Stng color dmd lcd was a drop in replacement.

The stern St dmd was a little more work.

#6027 2 years ago

If you ever need replacement scoops the first place to check is Mantis Amusements; Kerry makes the best replacements bar none.

https://mantispinball.com/product-category/star-trek-the-next-generation/

These *may* be sold by other dealers, but why not go directly to the source?

#6028 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

they (Marco, Pinball Life or Planetary Pinball) one of them sells replacement scoops, toss that one. You likely have other broken things in the machine too. Check so you can get the other items at the same time.

I agree.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16626

Quoted from jadziedzic:

If you ever need replacement scoops the first place to check is Mantis Amusements; Kerry makes the best replacements bar none.

I agree to this as well.

Quoted from jadziedzic:

Because it sucks to have but parts from multiple vendors and if this is the only item you are buying from Mantis, the shipping cost will likely make it more expensive than buying the exact same item from Marco.

#6029 2 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Why is it taking so long for my cannons to load? I was watching a YouTube video of someone playing and it seemed like the balls were getting loaded into his cannons way faster then mine. During launch probe, it takes a couple seconds at least.

Hmm, there should be a ball loaded in the VUK for each canon from the subway, so when it is time to fire, it should kick and load it pretty quickly.

That would be my first guess anyway, that this is not loaded for whatever reason, so it is waiting for the ball to go to them?

#6030 2 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

So I’ve upgraded to the pinsound and I’m loving it so far. Install was easy and pretty straightforward. Now I’m wanting to do something with my LEDs. I’ve noticed everyone talking about GI OCD and LED OCD. I can’t get both at the moment but can get one of them. Which should I get first?

GI OCD. Then get a patched ROM that eliminates ghosting of the inserts.

#6031 2 years ago

Has anyone run into the opto issue referenced in this service bulletin and done the mod to the eddy boards? I don’t recall seeing this mod on the boards in my game. Looks pretty easy to do and since it was a recommendation right from Williams I’ll probably do it on my boards at some point.

0535F3C3-43AB-480C-B474-10A650BBE200 (resized).png0535F3C3-43AB-480C-B474-10A650BBE200 (resized).png
#6032 2 years ago

Has anyone run into the opto issue referenced in this service bulletin and done the mod to the eddy boards? I don’t recall seeing this mod on the boards in my game. Looks pretty easy to do and since it was a recommendation right from Williams I’ll probably do it on my boards at some point.

Presumably it implements the change made in later boards (included in machines Road Show and later).

proximity_sensor.jpgproximity_sensor.jpg

I have (currently untested) bare reproduction boards that implement A-18543 (which is compatible with A-16922).

#6033 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Hi Eric - yes… I did the full tear down yesterday..
Broken ramp? Yes all of them. Including the subway. All hidden by protectors.
Broken scoop
Broken catapult
Broken drop target - 3 breaks..
Broken wireform (small weld job so easy)
Broken Cannon… - new cable ordered, I hope this is the issue. It turns but will not fire and the light does not flash so i hope its the cable.
Broken Plastics - 3
So - anything that could be broken is broken.

BUT.
The Playfield looks good and once I replace everything and add the playfield and plastic protectors it will look awesome And stay awesome!!
And - the more broken bits, the less I have to clean!!!!

Am in Europe so Pinball Center is my port of call.

#6034 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I agree.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16626

I agree to this as well.

Because it sucks to have but parts from multiple vendors and if this is the only item you are buying from Mantis, the shipping cost will likely make it more expensive than buying the exact same item from Marco.

Even worse I live in Europe.. I bought all of the Mantis protectors from an EU Seller - and the scoop!..

#6035 2 years ago

Is the LED OCD a must have for this game? Also, the GI?

#6036 2 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Is the LED OCD a must have for this game? Also, the GI?</blockqu

Looks pretty easy to do and since it was a recommendation right from Williams I’ll probably do it on my boards at some point.

I would make sure you have the correct board that this mod references before making a permanent change like this. It would have been nice if WMS supplies a part number this mod applied to as the eddy board modified is not the one in my machine and is clearly not the one shown in the STTNG October 1993 schematics.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6037 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I would make sure you have the correct board that this mod references before making a permanent change like this. It would have been nice if WMS supplies a part number this mod applied to as the eddy board modified is not the one in my machine and is clearly not the one shown in the STTNG October 1993 schematics.[quoted image]

I’m not really sure what you’re showing me. Can you clarify a bit ? Can anyone else explain what he’s trying to get at?

#6038 2 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

I’m not really sure what you’re showing me. Can you clarify a bit ?

I'm just saying that there were several different sensor boards all used in the short period of time that STTNG was in production and since the part number of the board this SB applies to wasn't provided you will need to be sure that you actually have one of the affected boards and that it has never been modified before you start cutting circuits.

#6039 2 years ago
Quoted from jadziedzic:

https://mantispinball.com/product-category/star-trek-the-next-generation/

YES, those guys are great too. Forgot to mention them

#6040 2 years ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

Hi Eric - yes… I did the full tear down yesterday..
Broken ramp? Yes all of them. Including the subway. All hidden by protectors.
Broken scoop
Broken catapult
Broken drop target - 3 breaks..
Broken wireform (small weld job so easy)
Broken Cannon… - new cable ordered, I hope this is the issue. It turns but will not fire and the light does not flash so i hope its the cable.
Broken Plastics - 3
So - anything that could be broken is broken.
BUT.
The Playfield looks good and once I replace everything and add the playfield and plastic protectors it will look awesome And stay awesome!!
And - the more broken bits, the less I have to clean!!!!
Am in Europe so Pinball Center is my port of call.

Sounds like you have the sister machine to mine. I have replaced and rebuilt my machine from the ground up. Here is something to seriously do. Due to the condition of your machine, you are going to need to pull each (I mean EVERY) board out of the backbox and inspect everything.

Bet you have burnt connectors, maybe even board damage. The Power Driver board in the HEART of your system, and I replaced mine with a new Rotten Dog board. Suggest you reflow all the solder on everything. Likely you will also want to check all of your ground connections and install the Tie Backs.

Great and worthwhile upgrades include a color dmd and Pinsound Plus with speakers and headphone station.
check out my profile and you will see tons of photos on my machine.
Eric

#6041 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I'm just saying that there were several different sensor boards all used in the short period of time that STTNG was in production and since the part number of the board this SB applies to wasn't provided you will need to be sure that you actually have one of the affected boards and that it has never been modified before you start cutting circuits.

Well that is pretty much a given. If the board already has the mod I would have noticed that when I repaired one of the boards that wasn’t working. Haven’t had a chance to compare the boards in my game to see if they are the versions referenced in the service bulletin or not. I won’t do any mods that aren’t needed but this seemed like a good idea if anyone is running an early set that this update is out there. Not sure if everyone was aware of it or not.

#6042 2 years ago

NEW STTNG MOD COMING!
The BORG Experience Background Screen 400x1280 HD widescreen
Currently in development.........

mnbkcP (resized).pngmnbkcP (resized).png
#6043 2 years ago

Zitt , here is a quick preview of the black Star post I ordered from you. It’s shown with the lighted Star post kit from comet pinball. Will show another pic when the slingshot is all put back together.

069BA90C-FF67-44F3-85F2-DD2B17104676 (resized).jpeg069BA90C-FF67-44F3-85F2-DD2B17104676 (resized).jpeg
#6044 2 years ago

Anyone know where I can purchase this assembly? Mine came loose from the bracket. Marco doesn’t have them in stock

CB4ABF82-8455-4852-83BA-541ADA716BCC (resized).jpegCB4ABF82-8455-4852-83BA-541ADA716BCC (resized).jpeg
#6045 2 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Anyone know where I can purchase this assembly? Mine came loose from the bracket. Marco doesn’t have them in stock
[quoted image]

Doesn't look like anyone stock this particular part. You could fix it be removing the 2 rivets holding the switch stack to the bracket and then bolt them together.

Alternatively Action Pinball lists http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=SW-1A-114-120-BKT as a replacement. Also Pinball Life have similar to this that could work https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-set-of-slingshot-switches-with-brackets.html

#6046 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Doesn't look like anyone stock this particular part. You could fix it be removing the 2 rivets holding the switch stack to the bracket and then bolt them together.
Alternatively Action Pinball lists http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=SW-1A-114-120-BKT as a replacement. Also Pinball Life have similar to this that could work https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-set-of-slingshot-switches-with-brackets.html

Yup. Just ordered them. And then after their replaced, I’m going to take the old ones and find matching screws and nuts so that I can have them as backups. So silly that they riveted them to the bracket like that. SMH.

#6047 2 years ago

Zitt , here is the pic with the slingshot put back together with the black Star posts, lighting kit, and clear slingshot ring

F8D3311E-7F36-424B-ABC6-3F7B923987CE (resized).jpegF8D3311E-7F36-424B-ABC6-3F7B923987CE (resized).jpeg
#6048 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Sounds like you have the sister machine to mine. I have replaced and rebuilt my machine from the ground up. Here is something to seriously do. Due to the condition of your machine, you are going to need to pull each (I mean EVERY) board out of the backbox and inspect everything.
Bet you have burnt connectors, maybe even board damage. The Power Driver board in the HEART of your system, and I replaced mine with a new Rotten Dog board. Suggest you reflow all the solder on everything. Likely you will also want to check all of your ground connections and install the Tie Backs.
Great and worthwhile upgrades include a color dmd and Pinsound Plus with speakers and headphone station.
check out my profile and you will see tons of photos on my machine.
Eric

Ha - of course... boards are on the list and I already have found 5 or so connectors that need changing - somebody loved repairing connectors by flowing solder into them...

#6049 2 years ago

Last night I installed the new lane guides made by Cliffy. A must have if you are experiencing any ball hop and still want the original feel of the game! Cliff was nice enough to make these for me because I searched everywhere and couldn't find replacements WITHOUT the extended lane guides. He's now offering them for sale publicly.

They are a perfect fit and the enhancements are excellent. The ball hop has been completely eliminated and the gameplay is significantly improved!!

Highly recommended.

#6050 2 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Last night I installed the new lane guides made by Cliffy. A must have if you are experiencing any ball hop and still want the original feel of the game! Cliff was nice enough to make these for me because I searched everywhere and couldn't find replacements WITHOUT the extended lane guides. He's now offering them for sale publicly.
They are a perfect fit and the enhancements are excellent. The ball hop has been completely eliminated and the gameplay is significantly improved!!
Highly recommended.

Nice, good to know. Funny story, a good friend had ST-TNG and "my" only complaint about the game was the game times were soooo long.. I felt the game was too easy to be fun.

Fast forward, and I acquired the game mostly because my son is really into pinball and TNG is his all time favoruite.. lo and behold, it turns out my friend had the extended guides and didn't know it. Of course, I love the game now as well. It's a challenging title that keeps me engaged... need to be on the ball, but with the right nudging, you can save the right outlane pretty frequenly.. and the left is about the kickback.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.99
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.95
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
There are 10,370 posts in this topic. You are on page 121 of 208.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/121 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.