IMG_1999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240414_092939 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,379 posts in this topic. You are on page 112 of 208.
#5551 2 years ago
Quoted from Redwizard000:

What do you think, specifically for the STTNG, about the LCD vs LED ColorDMD debate? I am really thinking LED, myself.

I have both at home but haven't tried the LED version on STTNG. I like the large dot mode on the LCD. LED is WAY brighter though.

#5552 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

I have both at home but haven't tried the LED version on STTNG. I like the large dot mode on the LCD. LED is WAY brighter though.

I have seen several machines with the LCD on "smooth" mode, I guess. And I really don't like the way it looks. I definitely want the dots look. And I would think the LEDs would look more "authentic"

#5553 2 years ago

What do you think, specifically for the STTNG, about the LCD vs LED ColorDMD debate? I am really thinking LED, myself.

FWIW, I went with LCD. I prefer the "smoothness" of it vs. the "brightness" you get with LED. It's all subjective, just depends on what you like to see. There's no wrong answer with this particular debate.

#5554 2 years ago

I have seen several machines with the LCD on "smooth" mode, I guess. And I really don't like the way it looks. I definitely want the dots look. And I would think the LEDs would look more "authentic"

I am not on smooth mode. There are 3 modes. Original, XL dots, and smooth. I don't like the 8-bit graphic look of the smooth mode at all.

#5555 2 years ago

Definitely agree on Pinsound+shaker. I took the Shark ultimate mix and replaced the main theme with the one from ST The motion(less) picture, since that was what the STTNG theme was derived from. I may post my version to the pinsound forum.
Also GI OCD is a must for great dimming effects in Borg multi ball.

#5556 2 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Are the flippers always weak or do they get weak as the game goes on? Do the coils feel really hot when they’re weak? A common problem of weak flippers is the flipper opto boards. If they’re intermittent they cause they primary coil to fire when the flipper is up and the hold coil is supposed to be on. Primary coil gets hot and weak. The whole reason for having two coils is to not overheat the main coil.
Go into switch test and hold the flipper buttons in and see if you get flipper switches firing.

In test switch mode pressing the flipper buttons registers the full sequence for flipper. I didn't try touching the coils but I will the next time I've got the game on. The weakness appears on maybe a second or third shot, first one after a bit usually works well. Perhaps promising...

Just as an update - I checked and cleaned the flipper optos, and additionally replaced the remaining original one with a new one ( so now both flipper opto boards are gulf repros and there are 2 black diverters). This did not make a difference.

I refurbished just the top right flipper, as that's the one that was really hard to make it up the delta ramp. As you may know the flipper kits do not include the bushings, so those got ordered and I replaced that one and checked everything else was clean and good. No drastic improvement on performance. I went through and refurbished the bottom pair too including coil sleeve, EOS, pawl, bushing. Not much improvement there either.

I also replaced the trough board as the infra LEDs on there were looking tired and there was signs of previous repairs - this was a long shot because the original board was working appropriately. No change on flippers either.

Noticed the coils are FL11629 on right side flippers, FL-17636 on left. They all feel weak so I'm thinking the coil difference is probably not it.

Any other ideas?

#5557 2 years ago

Yeah I want the LED ColorDMD. I might look in to a Pinsound upgrade as well, the sound quality is kinda meh.
I also either need to fix the left cannons laser or remove it from the right cannon, because only one works. (I think that mod is kinda cheaty anyway)

Pinsound quality is meh? 2.1 Digital Stereo with multiple sound track mixes? meh? It's not really just an improvement to the original sound, it's entire sound replacement. Equal to the upgrade of a color dmd. Pinsound is a drastic enhancement to your machine.

#5558 2 years ago
Quoted from ravve:

Thank you for this, so it seems my problem could be in the alignment of the diverter arm.
Is there any info to be found somewhere on how to adjust the diverter arm and the height of the mounting screw? New to this game.
Thanks!

Sometime the pivot arm might need replaced, do to the wear of where the set screw lands. I haven't seen any documentation in detail. However you'll soon be able to determine by looking into the clear sides of the subway, just where the diverter arms need to be set, to change the ball direction.

Positive thoughts, STTNG is a complex machine to work on, but it's magical when you've got is adjusted

#5559 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Sometime the pivot arm might need replaced, do to the wear of where the set screw lands. I haven't seen any documentation in detail. However you'll soon be able to determine by looking into the clear sides of the subway, just where the diverter arms need to be set, to change the ball direction.
Positive thoughts, STTNG is a complex machine to work on, but it's magical when you've got is adjusted

Thanks mate! Just to be clear, to adjust the diverter, one must unscrew the set screws? Am I correct? The screws on mine seems to be difficult to move, thats why I am asking. Thanks again!

#5560 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Pinsound quality is meh? 2.1 Digital Stereo with multiple sound track mixes? meh? It's not really just an improvement to the original sound, it's entire sound replacement. Equal to the upgrade of a color dmd. Pinsound is a drastic enhancement to your machine.

I think he might mean the current sound quality of his STTNG is "meh", hence he might look into a Pinsound upgrade....

"I might look in to a Pinsound upgrade as well, the sound quality is kinda meh."

I'll add that upgrading to Pinsound was a game changer for me as well. With the stock sound system, the majority of the audio came out of the left speaker only....so much so that I thought there was something wrong until I found an STTNG onsite at a location and it did the same. With Pinsound, full 2.1 stereo and at a louder volume, it's quite immersive. I'm having fun making my own sound packages, too. Almost ready to post mine to the Pinsound community.

#5561 2 years ago
Quoted from mtadams29:

Hi everyone! New to the forum, and really to the wonderful world of owning these fabulous machines!

Congratulations Captain, you have chosen wisely. Welcome to the group!

#5562 2 years ago

The LED version of this looks amazing in STTNG and was the right decision for me. I actually installed both the LED and LCD at the same time in my machine to help me with this decision. Since I preferred the LCD set to XL Dots to start with the bright vibrant colors of the LED really made this a no brainer.

Of course is a personal decision and you will have to decide what you like best in your display.

I did link a video of this testing in this forum:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/61#post-5022232

#5563 2 years ago

Here is fantastic information for STTNG owners, or any other similar Williams/Bally pinball owners. If you've wanted to upgrade your speaker quality to betters ones (like PinSound) but are dealing with the tweeter mini speaker issue, your problem is solved.

You DON'T have to cut your panel, or block up the speaker hole with the downsizing adapter plate.
VirtuaPin Cabinets makes an exact panel replacement, with the 5.25in holes already cut. All the other t-nuts and holes drilled too.
If that wasn't cool enough, this will standardize the hole to match the led speaker mods out there (they don't make them for the smaller hole.
How much?? $29.......You'll pay $14 for shipping.

This is legit, and extremely worthwhile when upgrading your machines.
https://virtuapin.net/

DSC02925 (resized).JPGDSC02925 (resized).JPGDSC02926 (resized).JPGDSC02926 (resized).JPGDSC02927 (resized).JPGDSC02927 (resized).JPG
#5564 2 years ago

Fired up my STTNG today, first time in a while... I was having a great first game, then all of a sudden the trough solenoid stopped working. Went into test and two others also weren't working, so altogether #9, #11 and #16 are out.

I've replaced F104 as a precaution, was was fine. Now I'm struggling to think what fault could impact random solenoids. Any ideas?

Cheers.

#5565 2 years ago

2 quickies:

1. Are the cannons supposed to have a ball loaded automatically before/when the game starts? By loaded I mean a visible ball in front of the cannon.

2. Switch nr. 35 "under left lock sw. 2", is it supposed to be closed or open when there is no ball there?

So basically if someone could take a pic of the switch test matrix in the menu (to see what switches are actived) once all balls have been placed correctly.

Thanks!

#5566 2 years ago
Quoted from ravve:

2 quickies:
1. Are the cannons supposed to have a ball loaded automatically before/when the game starts? By loaded I mean a visible ball in front of the cannon.
2. Switch nr. 35 "under left lock sw. 2", is it supposed to be closed or open when there is no ball there?
So basically if someone could take a pic of the switch test matrix in the menu (to see what switches are actived) once all balls have been placed correctly.
Thanks!

When did you test and replace the optos??, if you don't know then it's time to replace the optos

#5567 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

When did you test and replace the optos??, if you don't know then it's time to replace the optos

What optos do u mean? Subway?

#5568 2 years ago

Ravve, I believe this is what you’re looking for:

B16A75E0-C8C1-42FB-AFDF-9CC92295B048 (resized).jpegB16A75E0-C8C1-42FB-AFDF-9CC92295B048 (resized).jpeg
#5569 2 years ago
Quoted from sebo:

I have done it.
Here is the short version of what I have done:
First I have the complete panel recreated inAdobe Illustrator by hand so that I have the opportunity to illuminate only certian areas.
When I did it I had not found a good printing company who was willing to print me the black blockout mask directly on to the panel in one step so I had to foil it by hand. Now I have found a company who is able to do it.
Than I built the speakerpanel base from arcylic, painted it white and than black. If you intall led stripes on the top and bottom it will illuminate very well.
Beware that you can't use the original speakergrill as it would make a huge shadow so just redraw the logo and repaint some plastic pc speaker grills which are perfekt for the project. Put everything back together and you will have a perfekt speakerpanel that nearly nobody else has
I posted the makeover of my sttng so you can see how it looks installed.
If you have any questions feel free to ask. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thought I would see if you decided to work on this mod further?? Found a resource for blank speaker panels.
would love to talk to you further on this.
E

181547873_10227036475357340_4437761825296060041_n (resized).jpg181547873_10227036475357340_4437761825296060041_n (resized).jpge12ab557af46de9040227efada44091d6636a2e6 (resized).jpge12ab557af46de9040227efada44091d6636a2e6 (resized).jpg
#5570 2 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Fired up my STTNG today, first time in a while... I was having a great first game, then all of a sudden the trough solenoid stopped working. Went into test and two others also weren't working, so altogether #9, #11 and #16 are out.

I've replaced F104 as a precaution, was was fine. Now I'm struggling to think what fault could impact random solenoids. Any ideas?

Check for a broken coil power wire (VIO-ORG) at SOL10 (Right Slingshot)

EDIT: If your Top Diverter (Sol15) is working, then I may be mistaken.

#5571 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

I was referring to the standard sound system that comes with the machine not being very good. Not that the pinsounds aren't very good.

#5572 2 years ago

I was referring to the standard sound system that comes with the machine not being very good. Not that the pinsounds aren't very good.

Sure, the misunderstanding is it's just better speakers. This is what I hear from people. Or, they've added a subwoofer or amp. Star Trek The Next Generation was fantastic in 1993, with full range subwoofer, midrange and tweet. Original cast recordings for the machine, nothing could compare to it.

27 years later, PinSound and it's user/creator base of fans, are creating digital stereo, multi track new mixes for the machine. At least 10 packages currently exist for free download. I would suggest going out to YouTube and doing a search for Star Trek, Next Generation Ultimate Mix PinSound.

#5573 2 years ago

Xtraball Thank you, that ws exactly was I am looking for Are the balls placed where they are supposed to be in your image (have they been sent out to their places?).
I am asking because I found another pic after I had made my post (see below) that shows just like your image, but with the difference that switches nr 36, 37 and 41 should be active once the balls are sent to their locations automatically , making switch nr 61-63 inactive. Is that correct?

switches (resized).jpgswitches (resized).jpg
#5574 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Check for a broken coil power wire (VIO-ORG) at SOL10 (Right Slingshot)
EDIT: If your Top Diverter (Sol15) is working, then I may be mistaken.

Wow @pin_guy... You were spot on about the wire!

I've seen you help out countless times with this game, including myself in the past. In my opinion you are Pinside royalty and if I could I would buy you several beers! (or synthehols!)

Cheers again dude!

#5575 2 years ago

Ravve, 1st pic is balls staged, game ready to be played. 2nd pic is all 6 balls completely out of the machine. Both pics are with the coin door open.

864BF838-2B1F-4AAB-8D74-CDA4728DAEF8 (resized).jpeg864BF838-2B1F-4AAB-8D74-CDA4728DAEF8 (resized).jpeg8E6343AF-1B3A-42E1-801D-8E449ECC2171 (resized).jpeg8E6343AF-1B3A-42E1-801D-8E449ECC2171 (resized).jpeg
#5576 2 years ago

Mick's Pinball has developed a NEW MOD for the Star Trek Next Generation pinball. Animated Dome Flashers
Coming soon!

#5577 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Mick's Pinball has developed a NEW MOD for the Star Trek Next Generation pinball. Animated Dome Flashers
Coming soon!

Quite nice! Much better than static flashers.

#5578 2 years ago

Mick's Pinball - Star Trek Next Generation Engine Lighting Mod
Coming Soon:

#5579 2 years ago

extraball cheers man, thatvwas exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

#5580 2 years ago

Mick's Pinball - Star Trek Next Generation Start Mission LED Mod
Coming Soon:

#5581 2 years ago

Someone plz help! This is driving me crazy! I thought the lower diverter was causing the ball to get stuck, although it is working fine, at least in test mode.

Aftee viewing the footage, I am not sure that the diverter is the problem? Ball gets stick there in every game I play. Seems that something is blocking its way, maybe the gun popper?

The ball gets hung at 1:04.
Help a desperate man

#5582 2 years ago
Quoted from ravve:

Someone plz help! This is driving me crazy! I thought the lower diverter was causing the ball to get stuck, although it is working fine, at least in test mode.
Aftee viewing the footage, I am not sure that the diverter is the problem? Ball gets stick there in every game I play. Seems that something is blocking its way, maybe the gun popper?
Help a desperate man

Basic question: Is your game level and at the correct pitch of 6.5 degrees? Doesn't seem like it.

#5583 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Mick's Pinball - Star Trek Next Generation Start Mission LED Mod

Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Mick's Pinball - Star Trek Next Generation Engine Lighting Mod

Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Each of these upcoming mods from Mick's is cool on its own, but I wouldn't want all three in my STTNG at the same time....it'd be too distracting. If I had to pick just one, I think I'd get the Engine Lighting Mod. The pulsing seems appropriate in bringing the engine "to life" while being nice and subtle.

#5584 2 years ago
Quoted from ravve:

Help a desperate man

Maybe removing the subway and cleaning it might help? I’m not saying it’s dirty, but if the game doesn’t need to be raised in the back, it might be the next step and it’s not hard to do.

#5585 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Basic question: Is your game level and at the correct pitch of 6.5 degrees? Doesn't seem like it.

Yeah, this looks like a simple physics / gravity issue.

#5586 2 years ago

I did think the same, but raised the back legs to the maximum, and lowered the front legs. Still same issue.
We can assume it is not a diverter misalignment issue, right?

#5587 2 years ago
Quoted from ravve:

I did think the same, but raised the back legs to the maximum, and lowered the front legs. Still same issue.
We can assume it is not a diverter misalignment issue, right?

Just realized that maybe I made the incline too high by doing what I wrote above. I will measure it and do it correctly tomorrow. Cheers!

#5588 2 years ago
Quoted from ravve:

Seems that something is blocking its way, maybe the gun popper?

Maybe. The ball looks like it has plenty of speed coming down the subway but then is bounces at at the corner robing it of its momentum. I wonder if the ball diverter could be doing this? If you manually move is does is snap right back or seem sluggish from dried grease, a weak spring, or maybe both?

Ball path view:
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Other thoughts:
I couldn't help but notice your game has the wrong diverter coils installed, these should be AE-25-1000 coils.

#5589 2 years ago

Thanks!
The diverter snaps back just fine. I loosened the set screws to adjust it, thinking that could be the issue but it didnt help. On the other hand, I really dont know in what position the diverter arm should be? I just took a guess. Should the diverter slightly thouch the plastic ramp when the coil is fully extended (in "resting" position)?

#5590 2 years ago
Quoted from ravve:

Should the diverter slightly thouch the plastic ramp when the coil is fully extended (in "resting" position)?

yes.

#5591 2 years ago

Thanks! I'll check the game level and pitch tomorrow then, crossing my fingers that would be it!
Also will order the correct coils, thanks for noticing (that shouldnt cause this particular issue though, i think).

#5592 2 years ago

I also found this, but can't really understand what it means:

"Also - make sure the upkicker isn't blocking balls rolling from position 2 to position 1 (you have some degree of vertical adjustment). Consequently, a big enough trough divot can also stick a ball on the upkicker before it hits position 1 squarely."

#5593 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Each of these upcoming mods from Mick's is cool on its own, but I wouldn't want all three in my STTNG at the same time....it'd be too distracting. If I had to pick just one, I think I'd get the Engine Lighting Mod. The pulsing seems appropriate in bringing the engine "to life" while being nice and subtle.

Interestingly, Mick wanted to me test his mod for the Cannons. Before installing them in there, I thought I'd try them under the engine inserts. Loved them. I told him yesterday that there is a market for Animated Engines. And sent him that video. I wanted something like that forever. Currently he is producing the boards, however contact him on the Mick Pinball website, and let him know. Tomorrow I am testing a way to simply apply the mod beneath the inserts.
Love developing enhancements for pinballs!!

#5594 2 years ago

Looking for the one direction gate in a Star Trek Next Generation Williams pinball. The gate location is under the Borg Ship and prevents balls from entering the outlane.
A-16959 Switch Gate Assembly
a) 01-11688 Mounting Bracket
b) 12-7118 Wireform

181861009_10227059880262448_5088200235504045764_n (resized).jpg181861009_10227059880262448_5088200235504045764_n (resized).jpg182260249_10227059880462453_6310552464421368998_n (resized).jpg182260249_10227059880462453_6310552464421368998_n (resized).jpg182693711_10227059851181721_3357318969693050649_n (resized).jpg182693711_10227059851181721_3357318969693050649_n (resized).jpg

Added over 3 years ago:

It's one of those parts which have slipped through the pinball cracks. And substitutes really don't work.
The part is designed to allow the ball to not go but one way around the outer lane, and if a ball hits the gate (going the wrong way), it simply slides off down into the lanes. A smaller gate doesn't quite reach the post, which allows the ball to hang there, and it's out of reach of the drop target, so cycling the coils in a ball search, doesn't do anything.

Eric

#5595 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

I have posted before on my "MISSING OUTER LANE ONE-WAY GATE".. And through help of several cool Pinside Pin People, determined that there are (2) pieces which comprise the part.
The A-16959 Switch Gate Assembly: which is 01-11688 mounting bracket and a 12-7118 Wireform.
Nobody has this part I have discovered. And so I took the suggestion to order something "close". Macro had something and went with that. Here is the detail. The "wire" is nearly unbendable, and any adjustments to it just breaks it. So with creative design, and put a screw into the side (and NO, I am too embarrassed to show the photo). Needless to say, it works and stops the ball. If you DON'T have the gate, the machine works, but can get confused related to the location of the ball.
Final note: With the correct part ( I had one on a STTNG machine 10 years ago), the ball slides off down into the 3 lanes. Mine isn't quite right, and the ball can sometimes get STUCK there.
SO my quest is to find the part, and as you can imagine, it's in a hard to get to location, under the Borg Ship!!!
Anyone with a thought, direction or resource would be appreciated.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Have you posted a wanted ad in the Pinside marketplace as someone might have parted out a machine?

#5596 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Have you posted a wanted ad in the Pinside marketplace as someone might have parted out a machine?

I did now, thank you so much
Looking for the one direction gate in a Star Trek Next Generation Williams pinball. The gate location is under the Borg Ship and prevents balls from entering the outlane.
A-16959 Switch Gate Assembly
a) 01-11688 Mounting Bracket
b) 12-7118 Wireform

It's one of those parts which have slipped through the pinball cracks. And substitutes really don't work.
The part is designed to allow the ball to not go but one way around the outer lane, and if a ball hits the gate (going the wrong way), it simply slides off down into the lanes. A smaller gate doesn't quite reach the post, which allows the ball to hang there, and it's out of reach of the drop target, so cycling the coils in a ball search, doesn't do anything.

Eric

#5597 2 years ago

Yeah I want the LED ColorDMD. I might look in to a Pinsound upgrade as well, the sound quality is kinda meh.
I also either need to fix the left cannons laser or remove it from the right cannon, because only one works. (I think that mod is kinda cheaty anyway)

I went with the LED Color DMD and am super happy I went the LED route. Not a fan of the LCD effects on this game. But it's all personal opinion.

#5598 2 years ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

I went with the LED Color DMD and am super happy I went the LED route. Not a fan of the LCD effects on this game. But it's all personal opinion.

We'll find out.

I bought one on Monday, it should be here by Friday.

#5599 2 years ago

Hi all.....new owner here. I had a weird thing happen today after installing the laser cannon mod. (also installed color DMD). The laser would not light if there was a ball in the cannon blocking the opto. I checked the voltage and I'm getting 11 volts at the motor unless the opto is blocked.....then I'm getting only 7. I checked the test point 1 and I'm getting 13 volts so that seems to check out ok. Any advice on what can be causing this voltage drop?

#5600 2 years ago
Quoted from ravve:

I also found this, but can't really understand what it means:

"Also - make sure the upkicker isn't blocking balls rolling from position 2 to position 1 (you have some degree of vertical adjustment). Consequently, a big enough trough divot can also stick a ball on the upkicker before it hits position 1 squarely."

I have seen that post before but I cant see how that would even be a thing since the VUK coil plunger already sits well below the ball trough. The only reason the coil bracket mounting holes in this mechanism are slotted is to allow for variations in the positioning for the welded parts of the assembly from preventing the coil from fitting properly.

These images should help:
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
$ 85.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 63.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 64.99
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,379 posts in this topic. You are on page 112 of 208.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/112?hl=watkinsd13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.