IMG_1999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240414_092939 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,379 posts in this topic. You are on page 111 of 208.
#5501 3 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Ok, finally, here is "The Star Trek Experience Video Wall". Ver 4.0. 90-minutes of amazing and fantastic media for any Star Trek fan. Perfect for a game room theme.
All in 1080 HD. Enjoy and please comment if you like it.

Looks fantastic. Is it possible to separate all four screen videos into different files? For example if I just wanted 90 mins of plasma vid.

#5502 3 years ago

Thanks, it would have been. But as with some things, it took a month to build and render. I had to clean the files off the system. At least YouTube hasn't removed this one yet.

#5503 3 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Thanks, it would have been. But as with some things, it took a month to build and render. I had to clean the files off the system. At least YouTube hasn't removed this one yet.

It would have been awesome to have them individually, but I get that it's a long process and the space constraints. Thanks for sharing!

#5504 3 years ago

The LCARS interface is in full screen btw, look on page 110 of this thread for that link.

#5505 3 years ago

Found a couple of these in my closet while cleaning...repro STTNG trans. They are really nice, printed true photographic (not inkjet) with deep blacks. Would like to get $75 each with free shipping in the USA. If interested, please PM me. Thanks!

sttngtrans (resized).jpgsttngtrans (resized).jpg
#5506 3 years ago

Recently moved houses and got all my pins set up with no issues except of course...ST:TNG.

So with turning it on the dmd says “ground short row 1 is stuck closed”. Also says check test menu. None of the buttons to do the test menu registers so I can’t do anything there. I don’t know/think it has to deal with it but I want to add that I had got the coin door powder coated months before and had got it all together and everything seemed fine and was playable until I moved. I’m not sure where I should start looking or what I should be looking for. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

#5507 3 years ago

Are you saying that the coin door buttons do nothing ? If so and you had the door apart you need to look there first. I think the coin door buttons are not part of the switch matrix, but are directly connected to the MPU. Make sure there is no battery damage there.

#5508 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Postal:

Are you saying that the coin door buttons do nothing ? If so and you had the door apart you need to look there first. I think the coin door buttons are not part of the switch matrix, but are directly connected to the MPU. Make sure there is no battery damage there.

Correct, the buttons do not work. The entire machine was 100% working after putting the coin door back together but then when I packed it up and moved now I have the short and buttons not working. I will look at the coin door and see what’s going on with it. I checked the boards and they all look good and nothing seems wrong there.

#5509 2 years ago
Quoted from Watkinsd13:

I checked the boards and they all look good and nothing seems wrong there.

The point is valid.
Are you running batteries; did they leak?
The buttons on the coin door are direct switches; not matrix switch IIRC. So if they aren't working; I'd suspect something more sinister at work,
Given a move; I'm wondering if a fragile fuse finally gave up the ghost - which is leading to the CPU not completing it's boot sequence.

#5510 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

The home switch is probably fine since you didn't mention "Cant find home" errors or ball loading problems.
Both switches are normally closed when the cannon is parked at home; the cannon cannot fire if the mark switch is closed, so it should be adjusted to open as soon as the cannon clears things you wouldn't want to shoot a ball at.
[quoted image]

Trying to figure out delayed firing from both cannons. The "mark" switch is set to open after it clears the wireforms that lead to the cannons, and both "mark" switches show as "open" as soon as I want them to in test mode, BUT in game play, the cannons don't fire until the last 1/2 to 1/3 of their swing out rotation - which is well beyond where I have the "mark" switches set. For example, the soonest the left cannon will fire, will hit the right ramp shot (can't hit mode start scoop unless I wait for cannon to return to home position and hit it on the way back, but sometimes it's too late, cannon "times out" and ball trickles out of cannon). The soonest the right cannon will fire is to hit the neutral zone hole. Wiring loom issues?

#5511 2 years ago
Quoted from Watkinsd13:

Correct, the buttons do not work. The entire machine was 100% working after putting the coin door back together but then when I packed it up and moved now I have the short and buttons not working. I will look at the coin door and see what’s going on with it. I checked the boards and they all look good and nothing seems wrong there.

Reseat all the connectors for the switch columns and rows, then try disconnecting the opto board under the playfield and see if you can get into test mode that way. If not try leaving the rows and columns connectors disconnected and power it up that way. Also check to make sure a wire didn't get pinched / shorted out to the service rail, etc. when lifting / lowering the , etc.

#5512 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

The point is valid.
Are you running batteries; did they leak?
The buttons on the coin door are direct switches; not matrix switch IIRC. So if they aren't working; I'd suspect something more sinister at work,
Given a move; I'm wondering if a fragile fuse finally gave up the ghost - which is leading to the CPU not completing it's boot sequence.

I have NVRAM installed. I might not be following but are you saying to check all the fuses on the wpc board?

Quoted from bobukcat:

Reseat all the connectors for the switch columns and rows, then try disconnecting the opto board under the playfield and see if you can get into test mode that way. If not try leaving the rows and columns connectors disconnected and power it up that way. Also check to make sure a wire didn't get pinched / shorted out to the service rail, etc. when lifting / lowering the , etc.

I will give all of that a try and see if i get some results! Thank you and I’ll report back soon.

#5513 2 years ago
Quoted from Watkinsd13:

I have NVRAM installed. I might not be following but are you saying to check all the fuses on the wpc board?

I will give all of that a try and see if i get some results! Thank you and I’ll report back soon.

Definitely check to make sure all the proper LEDs are lit, no fuses are blown and you have all the correct voltages from the PBD.

#5514 2 years ago

I'm restoring a STTNG. The cabinet decals are still nice, but the backbox decals need replacing. I've looked around and can't find the backbox decals for sale. Anyone know where I might find them?

#5515 2 years ago

The Star Trek Pinball Experience Cannon Cam POV Screens are installed (waiting on flat hdmi cables). Borg Cube installed, and additional screens up and running. Including the 3.5" LCARS Screen, 3.5" Popper POV Cam, 4.5" STTNG Theme Screen, and video topper ver 4.0 up and running.

DSC02867 (resized).JPGDSC02867 (resized).JPGDSC02871 (resized).JPGDSC02871 (resized).JPGDSC02872 (resized).JPGDSC02872 (resized).JPGDSC02880 (resized).JPGDSC02880 (resized).JPGDSC02881 (resized).JPGDSC02881 (resized).JPGDSC02883 (resized).JPGDSC02883 (resized).JPGDSC02885 (resized).JPGDSC02885 (resized).JPGDSC02886 (resized).JPGDSC02886 (resized).JPGDSC02889 (resized).JPGDSC02889 (resized).JPGDSC02890 (resized).JPGDSC02890 (resized).JPG
#5516 2 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

I'm restoring a STTNG. The cabinet decals are still nice, but the backbox decals need replacing. I've looked around and can't find the backbox decals for sale. Anyone know where I might find them?

This guy does great work:
https://xianek.eu/?l=en

He has backglasses, side blades, cabinet decals, aprons etc.

#5517 2 years ago

Here‘s a report about a STTNG restauration with Xianek‘s decals. Text is in German, but it has plenty of pics:

https://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/threads/sttng-restauration-custom-decals.222629/

#5518 2 years ago

I’m looking to get back into the club.

#5519 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I’m looking to get back into the club.

With your pinside name, how did you ever leave?

#5520 2 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Maybe a fan of the 1970's Bally Star Trek? Now looking to round out the collection?

#5521 2 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

The one I had, was loaded with too many issues. 5 years ago, I didn’t really know what I was doing with repairs. Now, I’m well versed in keeping a game working perfectly.

#5522 2 years ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

Maybe a fan of the 1970's Bally Star Trek? Now looking to round out the collection?

No interest in non DMD games.

I really wish Next Generation would get remade. I’d be all in on an LE.

#5523 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

No interest in non DMD games.
I really wish Next Generation would get remade. I’d be all in on an LE.

I've had mine about 6 months now and upgrading with LED's, new trough boards, and Color DMD are a game changer. A ton more things/mods can be done, and I'm still tweaking the two cannons, but what a game! Good luck in the search.

#5524 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

The Star Trek Pinball Experience Cannon Cam POV Screens are installed (waiting on flat hdmi cables). Borg Cube installed, and additional screens up and running. Including the 3.5" LCARS Screen, 3.5" Popper POV Cam, 4.5" STTNG Theme Screen, and video topper ver 4.0 up and running.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's very creative but how can you see the ball with all of those mods on there ?

#5525 2 years ago

No problem in seeing the ball at all. Each and every mod was located from the game play perspective. No problem in doing the Picard shot. I did relocated the Cardassian Ship from where it was in the photo.
Also, nobody can see the ball under the right ramp. But the live camera mod shows it great!

#5526 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Definitely check to make sure all the proper LEDs are lit, no fuses are blown and you have all the correct voltages from the PBD.

Thank you! So I have been looking through all the wires and havnt found anything out of the normal. Still have no way to access menu but you might be on to something. Checking the back box there are two led not doing what they are supposed to (I think). So I circled led3 is on and led 5 is off. I havnt been able to test anything with a multimeter yet because I have lost it but getting one later today. Could these narrow anything down?

C378F550-FCC2-426F-8AC7-B70EE70B6674 (resized).jpegC378F550-FCC2-426F-8AC7-B70EE70B6674 (resized).jpeg
#5527 2 years ago
Quoted from Watkinsd13:

Thank you! So I have been looking through all the wires and havnt found anything out of the normal. Still have no way to access menu but you might be on to something. Checking the back box there are two led not doing what they are supposed to (I think). So I circled led3 is on and led 5 is off. I havnt been able to test anything with a multimeter yet because I have lost it but getting one later today. Could these narrow anything down?
[quoted image]

Are the CPU board LEDs correct? I also see you have a Judge Dredd in your collection - if it is working correctly, you'd be able to swap the power driver board to confirm whether the PDB is the issue

#5528 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Are the CPU board LEDs correct? I also see you have a Judge Dredd in your collection - if it is working correctly, you'd be able to swap the power driver board to confirm whether the PDB is the issue

They are led. I done more digging and read of other games with similar issues. I unplugged wires on the cpu board and was able to get access to the test menu. Going to the test shows all but one row is short. Everything on that row works great. I have reseated everything I can find in the back box and playfield. Got nothing. I’m obviously missing something but I have been through the bottom of the play field and can find nothing. Stupid multimeter did not show today so I’m hoping it is a fuse? Any other advice?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#5529 2 years ago

You have a blown fuse. Unless you've confined all good with a ohm meter

#5530 2 years ago

Assuming you unplugged the switch matrix wires (the white w/tracer and green w/tracer wires) at J208/J209 for your test, the odds are good you have a blown 74LS240 at U13; less likely but still possible are blown LM339s at U18 and U19 (I'd bet on U13 since all but one row is showing a short). The most likely cause is a short between the 50 volt coil supply and a switch matrix row wire (white w/tracer). I suggest you carefully check ALL under-playfield wiring to see if you can find a possible short between any white w/tracer wire and one of the heavier-gauge (18 gauge) violet/yellow, violet/green, or violet/orange wires. A wire may have come loose in transit, or perhaps a coil shifted such that one of the terminals is shorting to the metal of some mechanism.

#5531 2 years ago

Tonight's Mod for "The Star Trek Pinball Experience"
Cannon SPEED Control. Now able to control the "cycle time" from 4:15 seconds to 13:5 seconds. Controls are inside under the playfield, however accessible inside the coin door.

DSC02891 (resized).JPGDSC02891 (resized).JPG
#5532 2 years ago

Some inside photos

DSC02892 (resized).JPGDSC02892 (resized).JPGDSC02893 (resized).JPGDSC02893 (resized).JPGDSC02894 (resized).JPGDSC02894 (resized).JPG
#5533 2 years ago

That's insane. I wish I had that level of electronic knowledge! Maybe some day.

#5534 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Some inside photos
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I just need my cannons to work properly, let alone control the speed. Nice work!

#5535 2 years ago

I wonder if a bad diverter under the pf could cause a ball to be stucked in the ramp? Or should the ball simply roll to another direction if the diverter dont work?

Im asking this to know where to troubleshoot. I think the diverter is working but not sure yet.
If i drop a ball into the subway with the game turned off, the ball will get stuck next to the diverter once I lower the pf.

I noticed that the diverter shaft that goes into the coil arm is kinda loose, but cant move the 2 set screws that are holding it, either direction (tighten/untighten).
Maybe that loose shaft could be my issue right there?

Ideas?

#5536 2 years ago
Quoted from ravve:

I wonder if a bad diverter under the pf could cause a ball to be stucked in the ramp? Or should the ball simply roll to another direction if the diverter dont work?
Im asking this to know where to troubleshoot. I think the diverter is working but not sure yet.
If i drop a ball into the subway with the game turned off, the ball will get stuck next to the diverter once I lower the pf.
I noticed that the diverter shaft that goes into the coil arm is kinda loose, but cant move the 2 set screws that are holding it, either direction (tighten/untighten).
Maybe that loose shaft could be my issue right there?
Ideas?

Does the diverter work in test mode? Does the coil fire? Do the coil plungers move freely in the coils?

#5537 2 years ago

Update: diverter coil works. I was wrong before, the loose shaft isnt hold in place by set screws, actually it isnt the shaft that is loose but the whole "arm". Dont know if that is the reason why the bull is getting stuck, See this vid:

And here is where the ball gets stuck (again, with machine turned off!)
What to do?

20210430_123653 (resized).jpg20210430_123653 (resized).jpg
#5538 2 years ago

Hi everyone! New to the forum, and really to the wonderful world of owning these fabulous machines!

I'm having an issue with my ST:TNG that I am hoping someone can help me out with. Basically, after consistent play(maybe a solid hour), my lower right flipper stops working. Just drops and is completely non-responsive. Before that point the flipper is strong and works perfectly. I should also note that if the machine sits for a while it goes back to working normally, but the downtime is in the several hours range.

I have checked all my connections and everything looks great. All of the fuses on the boards appear to be fine. The flippers were rebuilt just prior to my purchase, but I went ahead and pulled the right one apart anyway to makes sure there was no gunk in the coil or any other obvious issues. The opto-boards and switches are clean.

I'm loving this machine and it's getting a lot of play, so I would like to trace this issue and fix it. I tried searching through posts on here for a similar issue, but did not see anything. If this is a common-ish problem and I can just be pointed toward some solutions I will take it!

Thanks!

#5539 2 years ago

Sounds like a defective driver transistor for that flipper on the flippertronics board. Have you tried replacing it or swapping with the other side?

#5540 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Sounds like a defective driver transistor for that flipper on the flippertronics board. Have you tried replacing it or swapping with the other side?

I'm not sure which one you're referring to. Very new to all of this! Would you happen to know which transistor? The manual lists several, 4 major ones.

#5541 2 years ago
Quoted from ravve:

Update: diverter coil works. I was wrong before, the loose shaft isnt hold in place by set screws, actually it isnt the shaft that is loose but the whole "arm". Dont know if that is the reason why the bull is getting stuck, See this vid:

And here is where the ball gets stuck (again, with machine turned off!)
What to do?
[quoted image]

On the diverters, remember their normal state is OPEN. And when setting the proper location, they only need to guide the ball. So when the coil would be fully engaged, the diverter arm should be only positioned to allow the ball to change directions. If the arm is set too far it will stop or lockup the ball. Also try to position the height of the mounting screw to allow the arm to be in the middle of the subway slot.

#5542 2 years ago

Tonight's modding on "The Star Trek Pinball Experience". Adding the Cardassian Ship into it's proper location in the machine. Added some lighting to bring it out of the dark.
In addition, both of the upgraded 1080HD screens are now up and running for the Cannon Cam POV.

DSC02897 (resized).JPGDSC02897 (resized).JPGDSC02898 (resized).JPGDSC02898 (resized).JPGDSC02903 (resized).JPGDSC02903 (resized).JPG
#5543 2 years ago
Quoted from mtadams29:

I'm not sure which one you're referring to. Very new to all of this! Would you happen to know which transistor? The manual lists several, 4 major ones.

I'm sorry i don't and do not have my manual handy right now.
Hopefully someone has done this recently and can provide a first hand example. If not; if I have time tonight after work - I'll look at the schematics.

#5544 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I'm sorry i don't and do not have my manual handy right now.
Hopefully someone has done this recently and can provide a first hand example. If not; if I have time tonight after work - I'll look at the schematics.

Thanks! I appreciate the assist!

#5545 2 years ago

Just got a STTNG machine yesterday. One of my favorite machines.

I am going to need to expand that bedroom if I expect to get any more machines in there...

20210429_193021 (resized).jpg20210429_193021 (resized).jpg20210429_193006 (resized).jpg20210429_193006 (resized).jpg20210429_193024 (resized).jpg20210429_193024 (resized).jpg
#5546 2 years ago
Quoted from Redwizard000:

Just got a STTNG machine yesterday. One of my favorite machines.
I am going to need to expand that bedroom if I expect to get any more machines in there...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I see a ColorDMD in your future

#5547 2 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

I see a ColorDMD in your future

Yeah I want the LED ColorDMD. I might look in to a Pinsound upgrade as well, the sound quality is kinda meh.

I also either need to fix the left cannons laser or remove it from the right cannon, because only one works. (I think that mod is kinda cheaty anyway)

#5548 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

On the diverters, remember their normal state is OPEN. And when setting the proper location, they only need to guide the ball. So when the coil would be fully engaged, the diverter arm should be only positioned to allow the ball to change directions. If the arm is set too far it will stop or lockup the ball. Also try to position the height of the mounting screw to allow the arm to be in the middle of the subway slot.

Thank you for this, so it seems my problem could be in the alignment of the diverter arm.
Is there any info to be found somewhere on how to adjust the diverter arm and the height of the mounting screw? New to this game.

Thanks!

#5549 2 years ago
Quoted from Redwizard000:

Yeah I want the LED ColorDMD. I might look in to a Pinsound upgrade as well, the sound quality is kinda meh.
I also either need to fix the left cannons laser or remove it from the right cannon, because only one works. (I think that mod is kinda cheaty anyway)

Get the stereo cable with the Pinsound.

I went all-in for my STTNG. Pinsound, shaker, 2.1 wiring, PS speakers, external sub. Sounds phenomenal.

And of course a ColorDMD!!

#5550 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Get the stereo cable with the Pinsound.
I went all-in for my STTNG. Pinsound, shaker, 2.1 wiring, PS speakers, external sub. Sounds phenomenal.
And of course a ColorDMD!!

What do you think, specifically for the STTNG, about the LCD vs LED ColorDMD debate? I am really thinking LED, myself.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.99
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 63.95
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,379 posts in this topic. You are on page 111 of 208.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/111 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.