New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 47092)

St:tng owners welcome aboard the uss enterprise

By Pinballgeek

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,720 posts
  • 365 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by bobukcat
  • Topic is favorited by 224 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,340 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

STTNG-FlipperCoils (resized).jpg
sttng dt1 (resized).jpg
sttng dt (resized).jpg
526EBA5D-9703-4CCD-835B-0B0150369F5F (resized).jpeg
FA605CB4-BDEE-4D3E-B753-7E1089EF4E6F (resized).jpeg
14FA043D-0201-4067-8EEF-45230DB193B4 (resized).jpeg
15C57739-1E01-4E0D-AEFF-BF85295CE040 (resized).jpeg
319A31C0-6DE2-47CF-B5E8-A21B88890999 (resized).jpeg
97BF4183-0729-4878-B65F-139A5B721E6B (resized).jpeg
C4F35C2D-7A2A-49A3-A997-914B22C17C5E (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
1122.JPG
1124.JPG
PXL_20201024_135244152 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4720 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 95.
#451 4 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

it gives you one cycle to make the shot

What's a cycle? For the left launcher it would be to swing out right, then back left again? Is that "one cycle" ?
Looked in the manual, couldn't quickly find anything about the ball being launched at half-power.

#452 4 years ago

yeah i think it will go out and back once, and then when it comes out the second time is when it does it. not 100% sure.

#453 4 years ago

i just tested -- it spits it out right at the end of the first cycle. so it swings out, swings back, and just before it finishes swinging back, if you haven't fired yet, it weakly spits the ball out before it gets back to "home" position.

#454 4 years ago

Cool. I'll test mine. I have the laser pointer mod, so I never go past "one cycle".

#455 4 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Coils are cheap, sometimes less than $10. You could just replace both coils. Use the owner's manual (available for download on this site, in the pinball archive section I think) to select the proper part number. That would be a start.

why would new coils affect the software?

#456 4 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

why would new coils affect the software?

If you're saying that the software fires the launchers with less power, then no, new coils would not change that.

#457 4 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Cool. I'll test mine. I have the laser pointer mod, so I never go past "one cycle".

me too! but i've seen a lot of guests miss it because they didn't know where the ball was.

also, when i get to the final frontier, it loads two balls into the cannons, and i usually just let them sit there until it spits them out instead of firing them myself.

#458 4 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i usually just let them sit there until it spits them out instead of firing them myself.

Good strategy indeed.

#459 4 years ago
Quoted from Farmboss:

New to the Club. Picked up mine last week and just set it up last night.

Welcome to the STTNG club!!!

#460 4 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

Still a little hesitant on the shaker.

Welcome to the club!!! As for a shaker ... I shake mine more than enough

#461 4 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Coils are cheap, sometimes less than $10.

Coils are cheap, but they rarely fail and are extremely easy to check. The cannons use AE-23-800 coils, these coils should measure 4.1 ohms.

#462 4 years ago

If custom side-rails were available for STTNG, what would you want them to say?

Side-rail_(resized).jpg

#463 4 years ago

Not four dots... 3.
"The Next Generation"?

#464 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Not four dots... 3.
"The Next Generation"?

During attract mode the DMD shows 4, most places on-line show either a dash or colon. I think you are right though, the TV show had 3.

#465 4 years ago
Quoted from PTHermes:

If custom side-rails were available for STTNG, what would you want them to say?

Side-rail_(resized).jpg

So.... Cool!

2 weeks later
#466 4 years ago

Pretty sure this is not a stock piece on a STTNG. Could someone please post a picture of what is supposed to be there? Thanks.

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

#467 4 years ago

Here ya go

20160512_211526_(resized).jpg

#469 4 years ago
Quoted from rdbronko73:

Pretty sure this is not a stock piece ....

Ugh, haha, well "a little rough, around the edges..."

#470 4 years ago

At least that part is pretty tucked away and out of sight!

#471 4 years ago
Quoted from rdbronko73:

Pretty sure this is not a stock piece on a STTNG. Could someone please post a picture of what is supposed to be there? Thanks.

You can get a new set of the clear plastics from pinbits.
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_36&products_id=259

#472 4 years ago

I'm fairly certain that piece isn't included in the clear plastics set.

EDIT:
I confirmed that I don't have one of these in my "old plastics" bag so I had to use the original during the restoration. If you look on Marco Pinball http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/31-1803-1 to see whats included the full kit (clear and silkscreened), you will see that plastic ... and one other of the clear plastics isn't included in the kit.

#473 4 years ago

While you have the game torn down so far you may want to consider replacing those loop optos, you do not want to risk having an old one fail once you've put it all back together.

Playfield_Optos_(resized).png

#474 4 years ago

Will do. Thanks

#475 4 years ago

I don't think mine has that plastic installed either as I've seen the ball in there once or twice.
If someone has one being unused temporarily or could scan a trace of one into the computer... I can get some made.

#476 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I don't think mine has that plastic installed either as I've seen the ball in there once or twice.
If someone has one being unused temporarily or could scan a trace of one into the computer... I can get some made.

I'll take one if you can get them made. You probably don't want to use mine as a example.

image_(resized).jpeg

#477 4 years ago

Right. I wouldn't.

At a minimum; I'd need someone to pull this plastic - then put it on a white sheet of paper and trace with a pen/pencil... including the holes. Then you can either scan it (if you have it) or mail it to me.

Once I get it; I should be able to reproduce this within a small margin of error.

#478 4 years ago

I've looked, are there pictures of the different LED kits? The cointakers seem to be the best but there isn't a picture to see it. Any ratings on the different kits? I thought I saw a thread on this but now I can't find it

#479 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I'm fairly certain that piece isn't included in the clear plastics set.
EDIT:
I confirmed that I don't have one of these in my "old plastics" bag so I had to use the original during the restoration. If you look on Marco Pinball http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/31-1803-1 to see whats included the full kit (clear and silkscreened), you will see that plastic ... and one other of the clear plastics isn't included in the kit.

Yeah but that's Marco not Pinbits. I got the Pinbits kit and it has everything.

#480 4 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Yeah but that's Marco not Pinbits. I got the Pinbits kit and it has everything.

I actually didn't buy the Marcos kit, I purchased the one from PPS and it was exactly as pictured in the Marco kit

#481 4 years ago

I can confirm that the Pinbits set has everything, including this part. Of course I couldnt be bothered to do a full teardown so this was crazy hard to replace and gave it up for now until I need to get in there someday to replace the optos, etc.

#482 4 years ago

Hey gang, my gun is starting to look pretty ragged. Thoughts on best and most affordable approach to getting it painted/powder coated? What about stripping it, rattle canning it with paint and then clear?

#483 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

What about stripping it, rattle canning it with paint and then clear?

I used some automotive engine paint--rattle can--on all of the metal hex posts on my Congo and it's holding up really well.

#484 4 years ago

Took my gun apart to clean and then used satin black rattle can. Same with the coin door and legs. Looks fine.

#485 4 years ago
Quoted from Goner:

Took my gun apart to clean and then used satin black rattle can. Same with the coin door and legs. Looks fine.

Did you strip off existing paint first?

#486 4 years ago
Quoted from Goner:

Would you mind posting a pic? It's just that looks fine is really subjective as one mans "looks fine" could be another persons "WTF were you thinking"

Trust me it's me and I know ... for me everything is black and white, there is no grey; it's going to be either perfect or needs work

Knowing is half the battle ...

#487 4 years ago

I just got this game, reset the scores, set them to 0 for all the backups, but all the different types of high scores are shown with me on the honor role only even though I've scored high enough, how do I make it only the honor role, or how do I change it to where it will put people in different places on the different score boards. This is confusing

#488 4 years ago

Did you get a manual with your game? If not go here: http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2357/Williams_1993_Star_Trek_The_Next_Generation_Operations_Manual_with_OCR.pdf

You will want to read through the game settings sections.

#489 4 years ago
Quoted from ibjames:

I just got this game, reset the scores, set them to 0 for all the backups, but all the different types of high scores are shown with me on the honor role only even though I've scored high enough, how do I make it only the honor role, or how do I change it to where it will put people in different places on the different score boards. This is confusing

The different high score lists are very confusing. Some only record if you don't use continues. Some only record if you do. I think Q Continuum only records if you break 10 billion, and then there's some bug associated with that as well, but I forget the details...

#490 4 years ago

I didn't get a manual, and I have referred to that pdf, there are a bunch of settings with 10billion , 5 billion, etc. I've set them all down and the game just doesn't seem to take the settings. I won't hit that, maybe ever, so it kind of stinks.

I can set custom messages, change date/time/etc. I just can't get the scores to be right, there are the qcontuum, the officers club, and the honor roll.. am I just expected to never hit the other lists and there is nothing I can do about their thresholds?

#491 4 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

The different high score lists are very confusing. Some only record if you don't use continues. Some only record if you do. I think Q Continuum only records if you break 10 billion, and then there's some bug associated with that as well, but I forget the details...

sorry, didn't refresh this while I was typing to see your reply

#492 4 years ago

sorry for all the lame posts, if you are doing well during q's game, do you get more balls? I think my game is not happy

#493 4 years ago
Quoted from ibjames:

sorry for all the lame posts, if you are doing well during q's game, do you get more balls? I think my game is not happy

no. if you are getting unexpected multiballs (usually from the left VUK) then you most likely have dirty optos or possibly bad solder connections on the opto board. unexpected multiballs when you're not in a multiball mode is probably the most common problem with this game. check the trough and VUK optos, and give em a cleaning. i use a q-tip dipped in water.

#494 4 years ago

oh, and how the heck do you get the balls out from the other alleys that hold a ball so you can lift up the playfield?

#495 4 years ago
Quoted from ibjames:

oh, and how the heck do you get the balls out from the other alleys that hold a ball so you can lift up the playfield?

Go in the Menu and select Eject Balls, close the coin door and grab them when they fire them all out

#496 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Go in the Menu and select Eject Balls, close the coin door and grab them when they fire them all out

i believe it's under tests. and yeah you have to close the coin door to enable the coils so they can fire the balls.

#497 4 years ago

I usually put a towel on the playfield to catch all the balls, there should also be a ball in each cannon, if there isn't there could be a problem.

#498 4 years ago

that works great! I notice that this (drop target?) isn't that sensitive, if you only hit it during battle simulations it doesn't register the hit, if I press it during the switch test it works, but I have to press it hard. Is there any way to make it more sensitive?

target_(resized).jpg

#499 4 years ago

As you know, I just got this pin as my first, when I announced it I got a PM from Pin_Guy saying he would give me some cards for free. I was a bit skeptical, usually when something is offered to you for free, there is always a catch. Well.. I got the cards and they are awesome! Thanks a lot Pin_Guy! I already added them! I was really glad to finally get a pin, but the community that has come with it is a bonus also, pretty cool!

IMG_20160522_133046101_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160522_133506004_(resized).jpg

#500 4 years ago
Quoted from ibjames:

that works great! I notice that this (drop target?) isn't that sensitive, if you only hit it during battle simulations it doesn't register the hit, if I press it during the switch test it works, but I have to press it hard. Is there any way to make it more sensitive?

it's probably a leaf switch ... you might try using needle-nose pliers to bend the contact points slightly closer together, until you get the desired result. keep in mind, though, if the contacts are too close together, it will register hits erroneously when nearby coils fire or people nudge the game. so after making the switch more sensitive, give the game some aggressive shakes to make sure the switch won't registering when it shouldn't.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinfarmer Mods
$ 26.50
5,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ruskin, FL
There are 4720 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 95.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside