IMG_1999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240414_092939 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,369 posts in this topic. You are on page 103 of 208.
#5101 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I see the point on the board schematics on where to test the voltage, but I only know where to stick one of the prongs... on that test point. Where does the other prong go?

Almost ALWAYS ground (aka GND).
It's useful to have aligator clips on the black lead of your DMM; so you can clip it to GND while you probe the other test points.

Time to break out PinWiki for troubleshooting tips.
https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

#5102 3 years ago

So this is what one of the mysteriously UNAVAILABLE "outer Loop One-Way" gates look like? I did, as mentioned, got some generic gate from Marco, however in attempt to "bend" one of the ends to make the generic gate only flow one way, I broke the gate wire. What ever it's made of does NOT want to be bent, at all ever!!!!!

Is that off your machine? Thank you so much for snapping a photo. I would get one from over seas if it were out there.
Eric

e2fae5406f5fdabf291c387f3a797297421f9cc1 (resized).pnge2fae5406f5fdabf291c387f3a797297421f9cc1 (resized).png Added over 3 years ago:

So this is an actual "photo" of the hard / impossible to find part for the Star Trek Next Generation pinball. It's a One Way Gate at the top of the Outer Loop. Needed for proper game play and the machine programming to work properly.
Previous posted the part numbers on the item. Attempted to DIY one from similar parts, and the results were "functional", but not ideal. Too embarrassed to actually "show" my results and the ball will sometime hang at the location.
The bent wire portion is nearly impossible to bend, or I don't have the right too to manage it. Anyway, all the normal venders DONT have this. So looking for creative resourceful suggestions....

#5103 3 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

So this is what one of the mysteriously UNAVAILABLE "outer Loop One-Way" gates look like? I did, as mentioned, got some generic gate from Marco, however in attempt to "bend" one of the ends to make the generic gate only flow one way, I broke the gate wire. What ever it's made of does NOT want to be bent, at all ever!!!!!
Is that off your machine? Thank you so much for snapping a photo. I would get one from over seas if it were out there.
Eric
[quoted image]

Added today: So this is an actual "photo" of the hard / impossible to find part for the Star Trek Next Generation pinball. It's a One Way Gate at the top of the Outer Loop. Needed for proper game play and the machine programming to work properly.
Previous posted the part numbers on the item. Attempted to DIY one from similar parts, and the results were "functional", but not ideal. Too embarrassed to actually "show" my results and the ball will sometime hang at the location.
The bent wire portion is nearly impossible to bend, or I don't have the right too to manage it. Anyway, all the normal venders DONT have this. So looking for creative resourceful suggestions....

You need to heat it up to bend without it breaking..

#5104 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

It's useful to have aligator clips on the black lead of your DMM; so you can clip it to GND while you probe the other test points.

Thank you!

After reading through all that and not yet messed with trying to fix my machine, I'm guessing 90% it is the CPU board not being properly grounded... I will mount it firmly as I'm sure I didn't attach it properly as per this guide. I have a whole list of stuff to keep me busy if that doesn't work.

Thanks!

#5105 3 years ago
Quoted from SDVmnt:

Going on a year and 3 months since this bugger has been up and running. We've added 3 new pins since then so it has lessened the pain!
Decided this week it's getting fixed. Nobody around works on them with covid which sucks..
Replaced both cannon harnesses. They seem to fire and search properly. Diodes register .5xx something. Pretty sure these came from pin_guy on ebay? Too long ago to remember
Only problem that I can tell that remains is I can't get any of the opto's to register. I have light coming from the emitter on the cannons, cleaned the receivers etc.. Cannons keep searching, and no ball ever launches in the catapault. opto16 "looks" like new. But how to test..
Replaced the trough opto. My fault, messed with it live and shorted the original out. Rotten dog trough board shows lights and sensors register. So new board is ok.
It has to be the opto16 board. Or probably not. I've been down the rabbit hole so many times with this thing. How do I test this?
16 opto back when I was knee deep in fighting this was not available. Now see it on pinballlife.com for 100$ I could care less at this point if that's all it was and I'd order it. I've also learned I'm a network/server engineer not an electrical engineer and suck at fixing boards!

I'm seeing voltage change when I test the opto receiver on the cannon when I block the opto. 16 opto board has a red light on it. Board looks pristine. Basically new so It has apparently been replaced at some point by the Previous owner.

Also not getting any readings on the eddy sensors on the outlanes. Don't think this is related though..

#5106 3 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Is that off your machine?

Yes this was from my restoration archive; pictures were taken of everything, so I could put it all back together when I was done cleaning and polishing everything.

#5107 3 years ago

Hey everyone, I am still working though some stuff on the restoration. Several questions:
* After playing a few games, the "RIFT" target tends to drift over and crowd up the left target. Everything is tightened down. What can be done to fix or prevent this issue??

* Photo of coin door shows (3) gaps in the hardware. Did someone just strip out the coin mech because most people don't need it? The system will NOT work with coins as it is shown. Not a big thing, just curious.

* Has anyone "lighted or illuminated" the dark section of space between Command Decision and Neutral Zone??

DSC02554 (resized).JPGDSC02554 (resized).JPGDSC02555 (resized).JPGDSC02555 (resized).JPGDSC02556 (resized).JPGDSC02556 (resized).JPG
#5108 3 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

* After playing a few games, the "RIFT" target tends to drift over and crowd up the left target. Everything is tightened down. What can be done to fix or prevent this issue??

MezelMods used to make some 3dprinted "stack" brackets which would keep the switches square.
I don't know if they still make them; or if they would work in the application.

Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

* Photo of coin door shows (3) gaps in the hardware. Did someone just strip out the coin mech because most people don't need it? The system will NOT work with coins as it is shown. Not a big thing, just curious.

Coin Mechs are missing in that coin door; so yeah.

Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

* Has anyone "lighted or illuminated" the dark section of space between Command Decision and Neutral Zone??

Nope. I'm not sure there is even a lamp there... nor would you want to be "shopping" that lamp after it "blew".
If I were going to do it; I would try some matrix led strips from Comet in that area.

#5109 3 years ago

This may break from traditional modding on the Romulan Ship from Hallmark, but that is ok. I will be installing LEDs inside to brighten the look.
Instead of cutting the hole in the bottom of the ship, for the traditional green flasher, I mounted the flasher in a popper light socket, and wired it from behind into the original flasher wire harness.

No longer needing the large section of the ramp plastic with a hole, that has been trimmed away. 2 benefits to this are: Allowing more room for the Command Decision LEDS and you can see more area over the outer ramp playfield.

NOTE: The (2nd) non-lighted photo features the ramp trimming. Newer photo

136415124_448347146192798_5913881354486287638_n (resized).jpg136415124_448347146192798_5913881354486287638_n (resized).jpgDSC02557 (resized).JPGDSC02557 (resized).JPG

#5110 3 years ago

Sup Zitt? Thank you for the comments. There is NOT a socket there, however if I was thinking ahead when the playfield was torn down, I would have put on there. Hardly any space (in the space) so a socket would need to be installed through the playfield. Directly below is the Subway, so it's hard to do, unless the subway is out. Thought of running an LED strip from the access hole under the left ramp, however...... the steel railings come together behind the Command Decision Hole, there is no way even something paper thin can get through to the area we are discussing.

Coin Mechs are gone. Go figure..... my OCD will have to adjust. There is literally no reason to have them, ocd sucks man. I will be ok lol

Stack Brackets for stand up targets, huh! Ok, I will check into that. The ball must hit the right side of the RIFT target enough, it shoves it over.

You the Man!! Thanks

ADDED: Here is the Bracket you mentioned. Says it's for Stern, however I wonder if it would work for NEXT GEN

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
#5111 3 years ago

Alright, having opto issues and finally decided it's time to try troubleshooting this legitimately. I played some games trying to get it to fail and have noticed a trend of the game deciding it's a good time to "Launch a probe" in the right gun...which is rather unusual.

I'd done final frontier and was working on the second round of borg locks. Had 2 locked, started Rescue mission, hit a couple targets and then hit the ball into the neutral zone. It for some reason counted it as my third lock. Neutral zone lock wasn't lit, and it is working, I went back to verify. Playing the mode like normal, losing a ball, and then it kicks a ball to the right gun and tells me to launch a probe right in the middle of multi-ball.

I've also gotten the balls confused in non-multi ball modes but usually upon exit with fast ball drains. EX. Ferengi when at 3 balls and lose two simultaneously. Sometimes when hitting the neutral zone but not activating the target it seems to spit a ball out the left VUK but not after listening the ball make it all the way through the subway. I suspect my issue must be related to the left side subway sometimes not properly counting. Though it's hard to keep a mental model of where the balls are.

I tried some of the obvious things. Looking to get more advanced. I've wiggled connectors in switch test on all trough connectors, no rogue readings. Pounded around the flippers, VUKs, Neutral zone area and no rogue readings there either. Used a plastic tool to interrupt all subway optos, and trough optos, all seem fine. Ran both the left and right subway diverter tests and the worked as expected.

Any advice on what I should check next?

#5112 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Thank you!
After reading through all that and not yet messed with trying to fix my machine, I'm guessing 90% it is the CPU board not being properly grounded... I will mount it firmly as I'm sure I didn't attach it properly as per this guide. I have a whole list of stuff to keep me busy if that doesn't work.
Thanks!

I think I fixed it this time. Posting in hopes it helps some random internet stranger years down the road.

I firmly grounded all my boards. All seemed good, then had same random issues of motors and vuks going off during game. Reseated all connectors, same thing. I entered the Solenoid test and found I could stimulate the symptoms if I made the knocker go off. Traced it back with a multimeter, couldn't find the issue. Finally realized that tapping the backbox caused the issues. From here, I heard a buzzing after I tapped it, and located it as best I could to fuse F116 (its hard to pinpoint a sound in a backbox). Looked at the manual. There was a fast blow in there where the manual calls for a slow blow. I took out the old fuse, tightened down the fuse conenctors (bent them in a little), but a new 3 amp slow blow fuse in F116 and... buzzing stopped. I am guessing some of the wires plugged in backwards you all helped me with previously had caused some partial break in that fuse. Game works normally now. I can smack the backbox and it works fine.

I think I got my Star Trek Back!

I only say 'think" because this is the third time this week I've thought all was good. I guess I'll have to play some more... just to make sure

Thanks all.

#5113 3 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Stack Brackets for stand up targets, huh! Ok, I will check into that. The ball must hit the right side of the RIFT target enough, it shoves it over.
You the Man!! Thanks
ADDED: Here is the Bracket you mentioned. Says it's for Stern, however I wonder if it would work for NEXT GEN
[quoted image]

The 3D bracket for these older Stern targets doesn't fit B/W targets. Normally you don't have the leaning issue with the B/W standup targets - Stern's targets were notorious and hence the after-market bracket was made, although now Stern have an anti-lean bracket on standups in all their new machines.

#5114 3 years ago

Working through a trough board opto issue. LED 7 emitter does not light up. I replaced with the Mouser part referenced in this thread. The LED does not glow in camera view like the others. Should this newer style? Just as I look at this photo again looks like the top side trace could be cracked. I’ll check continuity.

7149AD7F-2D31-449F-9564-0E0740AD2800 (resized).jpeg7149AD7F-2D31-449F-9564-0E0740AD2800 (resized).jpeg

Helps if you check top size continuity as well. Trace was broken.

BEDB58F1-A56E-49C0-8E42-650DAD688653 (resized).jpegBEDB58F1-A56E-49C0-8E42-650DAD688653 (resized).jpeg
#5115 3 years ago

looks horrible and bet the back looks worse and needs re-soldering

#5116 3 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

looks horrible and bet the back looks worse and needs re-soldering

Should have mentioned board was hacked to hell before I got it. Realized board was cracked/bent between LED 6 and 7. Yes, had to run a few jumpers to fix broken traces. Works now!

BDE75FB3-B67D-4004-8116-CDE682813DAB (resized).jpegBDE75FB3-B67D-4004-8116-CDE682813DAB (resized).jpeg

#5117 3 years ago

Can finally start a game now that trough opto is fixed.

All 3 flippers are super weak. I cleaned the flipper board opto and checked and cleaned both EOS switches. Flipper coils only getting 20vDC. Trough kick out coil is at 70vDC. All other coils seem strong.

#5118 3 years ago

I just scored 13.2 billion with one buy in. I had 13 artifacts. I had eight for the first final frontier. I should’ve kept going and gone for Q continuum.

#5119 3 years ago

STAND UP TARGETS:

Would you be suggesting the rivets, or what ever is holding those target together, is just worn out? That is causing them to crowd up? Time to replace? Great history on the stern issues.

#5120 3 years ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

All 3 flippers are super weak. I cleaned the flipper board opto and checked and cleaned both EOS switches. Flipper coils only getting 20vDC. Trough kick out coil is at 70vDC. All other coils seem strong.

Check the BR on the fliptronics board - it gets 50V AC from the transformer (via J102 -> J104 on the Power Driver board) and converts to 50V DC specifically for the flipper coils

The other PF coils use a separate BR on the Power Driver board.

WPC Fliptronics (resized).JPGWPC Fliptronics (resized).JPG
#5121 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Check the BR on the fliptronics board - it gets 50V AC from the transformer (via J102 -> J104 on the Power Driver board) and converts to 50V DC specifically for the flipper coils
The other PF coils use a separate BR on the Power Driver board.
[quoted image]

Thanks for the help. Pulled the board. BR1 tests good with DMM in diode mode. Noticed C2 is completely missing (tied to BR). Normal? The manual shows this part is listed. A Google image search shows this board with and without C2. The board has a warranty sticker of 1997. Possible this is a replacement board from a different game that didn’t need C2, but STTNG does?
FD781565-C684-4F4C-85C6-3120D73EA91F (resized).jpegFD781565-C684-4F4C-85C6-3120D73EA91F (resized).jpeg
76415A92-E506-4D1D-B6EA-B95320FD093B (resized).jpeg76415A92-E506-4D1D-B6EA-B95320FD093B (resized).jpeg

#5123 3 years ago

Thanks for the help. Pulled the board. BR1 tests good with DMM in diode mode. Noticed C2 is completely missing (tied to BR). Normal? The manual shows this part is listed. A Google image search shows this board with and without C2. The board has a warranty sticker of 1997. Possible this is a replacement board from a different game that didn’t need C2, but STTNG does?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I've seen that missing cap on several B/W games I have. I install one when I get a new game. I guess its not really needed, but why not install it.

#5124 3 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

Alright, having opto issues and finally decided it's time to try troubleshooting this legitimately. I played some games trying to get it to fail and have noticed a trend of the game deciding it's a good time to "Launch a probe" in the right gun...which is rather unusual.
I'd done final frontier and was working on the second round of borg locks. Had 2 locked, started Rescue mission, hit a couple targets and then hit the ball into the neutral zone. It for some reason counted it as my third lock. Neutral zone lock wasn't lit, and it is working, I went back to verify. Playing the mode like normal, losing a ball, and then it kicks a ball to the right gun and tells me to launch a probe right in the middle of multi-ball.
I've also gotten the balls confused in non-multi ball modes but usually upon exit with fast ball drains. EX. Ferengi when at 3 balls and lose two simultaneously. Sometimes when hitting the neutral zone but not activating the target it seems to spit a ball out the left VUK but not after listening the ball make it all the way through the subway. I suspect my issue must be related to the left side subway sometimes not properly counting. Though it's hard to keep a mental model of where the balls are.
I tried some of the obvious things. Looking to get more advanced. I've wiggled connectors in switch test on all trough connectors, no rogue readings. Pounded around the flippers, VUKs, Neutral zone area and no rogue readings there either. Used a plastic tool to interrupt all subway optos, and trough optos, all seem fine. Ran both the left and right subway diverter tests and the worked as expected.
Any advice on what I should check next?

I too have watched the balls to keep count of where they're going to figure out my opto issues. I have found one issue with trough. I've seen balls enter it and not be counted as being there. They just don't seem to be rolling smoothly. I've ordered the newer designed one from Mantis to hopefully eliminate that part of the issue. My playfield optos seem to be working for the moment, but I sear my I had an issue with my subway diverter a while back which seems to have stopped being a problem for the moment. Hope that helps a little...

#5125 3 years ago

tech note for the day. Replacing flipper boards may require some tweaking, to have BOTH opto switches work. It's a big deal.. If you don't have an upper and lower switch happen on your edge test, you've got work to do.

IMG_20210123_134848 (resized).jpgIMG_20210123_134848 (resized).jpgIMG_20210123_134903 (resized).jpgIMG_20210123_134903 (resized).jpgIMG_20210123_134946 (resized).jpgIMG_20210123_134946 (resized).jpg
#5126 3 years ago

Is modifying the STTNG Game ROM within anyone's skill or ability to do? With Williams and Bally out of business, and the machine being 27 years old.
It's obvious bugs and tweaks would be nice to improve.

Like what?
MORE TIME to first the cannons BEFORE it spits the ball out on the playfield. Instead of 5 seconds, some code number change to 30 or whatever.
I know there must be other improvements worthy of consideration. Am I out there in left field on this issue? Thoughts, Ideas, Suggestions?
I am currently using LX-7 and I have seen other people with LX-8 or LX-9 which address LED Ghosting (not sure on that issue).

Seen others have other issues of interest too. Help??

s-l300 (resized).jpgs-l300 (resized).jpg
#5127 3 years ago

FIXED! Chris H. Suggested to look at J105. Sure enough o had it upside down (key is in the middle of 5 pins). Flipped it around and good to go! Should be on the left side.

B2263956-728F-45AA-880B-2F1B83D4F896 (resized).jpegB2263956-728F-45AA-880B-2F1B83D4F896 (resized).jpeg
#5128 3 years ago

Sttng owners, Couple of questions.

Powder coat black or stay with original stainless steel? I know it’s an opinions but is there a consensus?

Is the Star Trek logo on the speaker panel, the original speaker panel or a mod? In any case where can I get it.

#5129 3 years ago

The Logo on the Speaker Grill is original, it's painted on. I believe you can find reproductions out there, but I have not looked.
A good friend did his rails in black..not my personal taste because of the chrome throughout.
The coating will make other things more difficult because of the additional thickness, I wouldn't unless you truly want it

#5130 3 years ago

TECH QUESTION: Why would anyone "hack up" the power supply harness?
My game is working fine, but I just want to know the reason someone chops the wiring up? You can see in the photos wires went into the connector, and were cut off.

What purpose were the (now gone) wires for? If someone at Williams thought they were needed. These photos are from a Star Trek Next Generation.
thanks....

DSC02558 (resized).JPGDSC02558 (resized).JPGDSC02559 (resized).JPGDSC02559 (resized).JPGDSC02560 (resized).JPGDSC02560 (resized).JPGDSC02561 (resized).JPGDSC02561 (resized).JPG
#5131 3 years ago

That's probably where the jumpers go for configuring 115 or 230 volts AC primary on the transformer. It should show on the schematic detailed information.

#5132 3 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

The Logo on the Speaker Grill is original, it's painted on. I believe you can find reproductions out there, but I have not looked.
A good friend did his rails in black..not my personal taste because of the chrome throughout.
The coating will make other things more difficult because of the additional thickness, I wouldn't unless you truly want it

What kind of issues related to thickness?

#5133 3 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

TECH QUESTION: Why would anyone "hack up" the power supply harness?

That's a shame.

You are actually missing the voltage selector harness, whoever did this lacked the skill, knowledge, or tools required to move the voltage selector jumpers in in the existing harnesses.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5134 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

I too have watched the balls to keep count of where they're going to figure out my opto issues. I have found one issue with trough. I've seen balls enter it and not be counted as being there. They just don't seem to be rolling smoothly. I've ordered the newer designed one from Mantis to hopefully eliminate that part of the issue. My playfield optos seem to be working for the moment, but I sear my I had an issue with my subway diverter a while back which seems to have stopped being a problem for the moment. Hope that helps a little...

How did you figure they weren't rolling smoothly? I don't think I've had that issue. My problem is a lot of times the kicker into the launch lane often has the ball fall right back in the trough. It sometimes works fine, but other times can fail 3 times before it finally stays/auto launches

#5135 3 years ago

WIRING HARNESS HACK
Thank for the post on the Wire Harness HACK. Super Clean and restored machine in the photo.
That is how I got the machine, except I cleaned up the wiring with zip ties. Additional information. I have an LED & GI OCD systems installed, which bypassed the traditional wiring harness to the header, also I see you have a Color DMD system installed. Some of those systems tap the 12 volts directly from the supply. My Color DMD uses the 12 volts already in the header. When I began installing my color DMD, that's when I noticed the absence of a connector in the cabinet.

Is that what is missing?? A typically unused 12 volt breakout connector?? Referring to what Zitt always says "If it's not broke, don't fix it". Is this something in need of repairing? More info please, thank you in advance. As these machines goes, I am trying to De- F**K-it as much as possible.
E

#5136 3 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

How did you figure they weren't rolling smoothly? I don't think I've had that issue. My problem is a lot of times the kicker into the launch lane often has the ball fall right back in the trough. It sometimes works fine, but other times can fail 3 times before it finally stays/auto launches

I would watch the ball roll into the outhole, and nothing happened in the game, as if the ball was still in play. I'd give it a shake and then it would register in the trough. I haven't been able to recreate the other opto issues I was having, so all good for now...

#5137 3 years ago

POWDER COATING THE RAILS
This is not personal experience on the making the rails black. I have heard during the chrome plating or powder coating of the rails, the thickness is increased and sliding into the ramp mountings becomes and issue.
As mentioned, these are comments for someone who's done it, not me. I think if you dig around on there under STTNG restorations, you will come across some fantastically documented projects, one of which speaks to that topic.
E

#5138 3 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

WIRING HARNESS HACK
Thank for the post on the Wire Harness HACK. Super Clean and restored machine in the photo.
That is how I got the machine, except I cleaned up the wiring with zip ties. Additional information. I have an LED & GI OCD systems installed, which bypassed the traditional wiring harness to the header, also I see you have a Color DMD system installed. Some of those systems tap the 12 volts directly from the supply. My Color DMD uses the 12 volts already in the header. When I began installing my color DMD, that's when I noticed the absence of a connector in the cabinet.
Is that what is missing?? A typically unused 12 volt breakout connector?? Referring to what Zitt always says "If it's not broke, don't fix it". Is this something in need of repairing? More info please, thank you in advance. As these machines goes, I am trying to De- F**K-it as much as possible.
E

You are not missing anything. It's been explained to you already. It's only used to select input (wall) voltages. Your game is a re-import. It was wired for 240VAC. Whoever brought it back to North America didn't have the tools(or patience) to remove the pins and re-wire the connector properly so they just cut the wires and made some splices. Shitty ass job in all honesty. However there is nothing missing. I've seen many games like that. It's mostly laziness. Doing up the connector properly will make it look neater but will not give you anything more. there is no direct DC voltage anywhere from the transformer (that big metal thing in the cabinet that you called 'supply'). It's not a power supply. It's a simple transformer that just puts out different AC voltages for the different systems. It's the driver board that is the main power supply and it converts the AC into DC (12v and 5v are the important ones but there are other voltages for the coils(50VDC), flashers(20VDC), and the lamp matrix as well). There are other boards(fliptronics, DMD controller, etc) that convert AC to DC also but that's not important in this discussion.

Only the GI-OCD board uses a different connector in the cabinet. It taps into the 6.3VAC of the GI which no longer needs to feed the driverboard since the GI is run directly by the GI-OCD board. That's why you would have an unused connector left over in the cabinet. It's the 6.3vac link to the driverboard. I would leave it to make the mod reversible.

The LED-OCD does not hook up directly to AC power it just hooks up to the bottom right of the driverboard (lamp matrix) and DC power.

Accessories like ColorDMD and Pinsound come with splitters in order to tap into the 12v and 5v power.

The diagram that shows how that connector (with the cut wires) is wired was provided above. I certainly don't mean to be rude but if you are saying that you can't read a simple schematic like that one then IMHO you should definitely NOT be f#$%ing around with the wiring.

#5139 3 years ago

Thanks Mr Mikeman. For whatever reason the schematic wasn't very clear enough to read, however it's appreciated it was provided. Understand all of the LED and GI OCD info, and why they do it that way. Yes, the machine came from France is my guess, based on the coin door slots and inserts.
Certainly you have a great amount of experience with the hardware in pinballs. Even though I have rebuilt 14 machines, I am still learning, every single day.

Understand what boards get what volts in the header, just couldn't understand why hacking wires, and such are left that way in a machine. Speaking of lazy techs, wow. As I am going through the machine, INSTEAD of replacing the connector on a Power Driver Board, (you know the ones which always burn up), this dude spliced wires into the board and connected them directly to the wires, bypassing the burned up connectors all together.

The word "BAD" was written in the corner of (3) boards. So based on this, and all of the poor conditions throughout, I replaced the bad board, one being the Power Driver Board.

Again, appreciate the time it took you to step through the power line uses coming out of the transformer. Thank you

#5140 3 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Thanks Mr Mikeman. For whatever reason the schematic wasn't very clear enough to read, however it's appreciated it was provided. Understand all of the LED and GI OCD info, and why they do it that way. Yes, the machine came from France is my guess, based on the coin door slots and inserts.
Certainly you have a great amount of experience with the hardware in pinballs. Even though I have rebuilt 14 machines, I am still learning, every single day.
Understand what boards get what volts in the header, just couldn't understand why hacking wires, and such are left that way in a machine. Speaking of lazy techs, wow. As I am going through the machine, INSTEAD of replacing the connector on a Power Driver Board, (you know the ones which always burn up), this dude spliced wires into the board and connected them directly to the wires, bypassing the burned up connectors all together.
The word "BAD" was written in the corner of (3) boards. So based on this, and all of the poor conditions throughout, I replaced the bad board, one being the Power Driver Board.
Again, appreciate the time it took you to step through the power line uses coming out of the transformer. Thank you

Hey Eric - just as an FYI as the guys have said you can set the input voltage depending upon your specific country using jumpers on the 9 pin connector from the transformer (later WPC models use a 12 pin connector on the power box to set the voltage). Anyway here are the 2 pinouts (on the board side of the connector) for 115V US and 230V EU for your reference https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Early_WPC_Transformers_.289_pin_connection.29 Note that what has been done on your machine is to cut and join the transformer wires before the 9 pin connector - this effectively is doing the same thing as the jumpers however it's hatchet job.

The only way you could change this back to looking normal would be to redo all the connections to the 9 pin connector and do the jumpers at the connector. It would shorten the leads from the transformer (you'd firstly check you have enough length) and you'd only do this if you were COMPLETELY comfortable with what you were doing and how the wires should be connected.

#5141 3 years ago

Thanks Manny65,

I came across the documentation related to the "Loop backs" or jumped on the backside of the connector. I'm not going to worry about it, and replacing the whole thing jus for looks, feeds my "ocd", lol, but not yet. What really got me is seeing the dedicated 12 volt line for the DMD. When installing that, one of the options was to run a cable down to the transformer, as shown earlier in this thread. But my connection was absent. So the Color DMD instructions provide a tap on the Power Driver Board for 12 volt.

You likely know as you work your way through a pinball restoration, things are revealed, hacks and workarounds show up from previous ownership, and in my machine, not a working Tie-Back. So you already know what that leads to.

Thankfully this STTNG Board is here, to loft a question or idea, so we don't always have to reinvent the wheel ourselves.

Everybody contributing makes this fun and interesting.

#5142 3 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Thanks Manny65,
What really got me is seeing the dedicated 12 volt line for the DMD. When installing that, one of the options was to run a cable down to the transformer, as shown earlier in this thread. But my connection was absent. So the Color DMD instructions provide a tap on the Power Driver Board for 12 volt.

I believe what you mean is that the instructions say you can run off a 12v power supply in the cabinet. However the machines don't have that (other than the driver board). It's for people who decide to add an extra power supply - either 12v only or 12v and 5v to power all the add-ons. If you choose to buy an additional 12v power supply you can install it in the cabinet and drive your accessories such as Pinsound, ColorDMD, lit mods & buttons, etc. That's what I did in mine. Some on this thread believe it's heresy to add an additional 12v power supply and not needed. Others believe it is a sound move given that this machine in particular has a LOT of systems powered by 12v and adding even more is a strain on the power driver board. It just wasn't designed for all these additional power drains.

I did mine in a way that is totally reversible anyway. No harm done, no wires cut, no permanent mods.

#5143 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

I would watch the ball roll into the outhole, and nothing happened in the game, as if the ball was still in play. I'd give it a shake and then it would register in the trough. I haven't been able to recreate the other opto issues I was having, so all good for now...

Hmm...I have had ball drains occur and have the game think a ball was still in play. I just assumed that it must've been some other opto with the issue thinking a ball was still in a VUK, but I suppose if that were the case it would kick it out instead of going into a search. Maybe that is the source of my problems :/

#5144 3 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

Hmm...I have had ball drains occur and have the game think a ball was still in play. I just assumed that it must've been some other opto with the issue thinking a ball was still in a VUK, but I suppose if that were the case it would kick it out instead of going into a search. Maybe that is the source of my problems :/

Yeah give it a shake, could also enter switch test at that moment and see if the all the trough lights are appropriately lit for each ball...just got my trough today...should have it installed in a few days...its also has a cool feature that I wasn't aware of, it keeps the ball from entering the playfield with a sliding metal gate.

#5145 3 years ago

Thank you for the info

#5146 3 years ago

Tonight's additions and engineering fun!

141187373_432689487931189_5399963630789074697_n (resized).jpg141187373_432689487931189_5399963630789074697_n (resized).jpg141335962_445478196587870_7901684743398558518_n (resized).jpg141335962_445478196587870_7901684743398558518_n (resized).jpg141420898_746497396006493_5539142009021283643_n (resized).jpg141420898_746497396006493_5539142009021283643_n (resized).jpg142238813_452503652591308_1665184326616324517_n (resized).jpg142238813_452503652591308_1665184326616324517_n (resized).jpg
#5147 3 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Tonight's additions and engineering fun!

Cool! Can you take a pic further away so I can see how it ties in with rest of game and the scale of the items? Nice job!

#5148 3 years ago

I know sttng doesn’t have a fire button but I’m working on a virtual pinball cabinet that is themed for sttng.
Where possible everything is authentic, WPC wide body to spec, licensed art reproduction, reproduction speaker panel and grills, and in this case I would like to add a fire button that looks like it should be there (it would be usable for other games).

There is already a stl file on thingverse for the shape, but I have no creative juices.
Anyone up for helping me design a simple button, I already know I want the word “engage” on it, but following that I can’t find the right combination of graphics or words to make it nice.

I’ve got the star fleet insignia, enterprise-d, the word Star Trek, but maybe someone knows how to put it together better.

Here is a sample, super open to any ideas, hand written, whatever.

https://imgur.com/gallery/0gf6vpu

#5149 3 years ago

Alright...thinking I must not be having trough issues. Or at least it doesn't seem too likely to me. Here's my rationale:

I took a spare Wyze cam I had and plopped it under the playfield and played through to Borg multi-ball twice on two different games and didn't see any unusual behavior (unfortunately). My LEDs appear to be on, the emitter for ball 3 does look a little weak to me, but I didn't see them flicker at all during the entire couple games. No balls hung up on divots either. The only unusual cases are when the ball fails to pop out of the trough and make it into the shooter lane. The ball then makes it all the way to the start of the trough and rolls back down. It's possible that might be causing issues...I'm not ruling that out yet.

I've got a video and a night vision shot of the trough emitters with the camera:

2CAA8E6B9F47_1611769892322 (resized).jpg2CAA8E6B9F47_1611769892322 (resized).jpg
#5150 3 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

Alright...thinking I must not be having trough issues. Or at least it doesn't seem too likely to me. Here's my rationale:
I took a spare Wyze cam I had and plopped it under the playfield and played through to Borg multi-ball twice on two different games and didn't see any unusual behavior (unfortunately). My LEDs appear to be on, the emitter for ball 3 does look a little weak to me, but I didn't see them flicker at all during the entire couple games. No balls hung up on divots either. The only unusual cases are when the ball fails to pop out of the trough and make it into the shooter lane. The ball then makes it all the way to the start of the trough and rolls back down. It's possible that might be causing issues...I'm not ruling that out yet.
I've got a video and a night vision shot of the trough emitters with the camera: [quoted image]

What problem do you have or are trying to solve?

In regards to the trough kickout failing occasionally, check the tip of the coil plunger is not worn or you may need to adjust the ball guide at the kickout hole that deflects the ball into the shooter lane - taking a slo-mo of the kickout and comparing one that fails to others that makes it can help work out what is happening.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.99
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
$ 63.95
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

There are 10,369 posts in this topic. You are on page 103 of 208.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/103?hl=eric_manuel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.