A641643D-212D-4D07-9286-22D5E3AAA02E (resized).jpeg
FCB6F9FF-E3E6-4231-9F64-3924F8476C2C (resized).png
0472A0AB-507A-4904-92A1-2B8633BDEA55 (resized).jpeg
EC67FC09-FE42-43A8-8693-E9741ADE91E8 (resized).jpeg
C20E9A6B-210D-4740-B83B-85916FD4ABD9 (resized).jpeg
09521466-DB89-434C-9FEC-7CB4DEE203EA (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinjim.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#91 4 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

As far as reliability sttng needs a few things. One thing I do on all my wms games during a cleaning is replace every opto. They cost a buck each in quantity and if you have a desoldering tool it is fairly easy.

I’m with you here. Just replace every opto and be done with it. It’s literally around $25 in parts if you just replace the led and receiver. I just finished all of mine and so far, so good.

I just finished an extensive rebuild on mine, we shall see how well it holds up.

Undervalued game imho. But it’s a tinkers game. Probably not suited for the collector that can’t work on their own machines, and even at that, sttng requires ample prior experience - optos, connectors, board rebuilds, mechanical rebuilds, typically needs fully shopped, etc.

I bought my machine for $3,950 for mine and paid too much given the market and what it needed. I had to buy all new ramps, a new plastic set, new cannon covers and looms, full LEDs, tons of other mech rebuild parts, etc. I’ll never get my money back, but I may never sell mine either. It’s one bad ass game after being properly serviced.

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I agree and I've now taken mine to three shows and plan to take it back to Pincinnati again this year.

I wish I had your luck. I replaced every single subway, VUK and cannon opto and still I'm getting an occasional random multiball, albeit less frequently. But it still happens once every few games. And I have new trough boards.

I need to do the borg ship and then I can say that all optos have been replaced. Which then leads me to suspect connectors and/or the 16 opto board. I can only hope that's it and not something silly like a marginal wire.....

So in my instance, part of bulletproofing the game is replacing every opto, most likely the headers and connectors on the 16 opto board, reflow solder on the 16 opto board, replace the connectors for the trough, and then be royally @#&@! off if it keeps happening. =)

#99 4 years ago

Maybe I’m wrong, but I think some are intimidated by the technical complexity of sttng. I wonder what % of collectors have the ability to maintain such a beast. For me, it’s a labor of love. Others it could be a thorn in their side...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.99
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 63.95
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinjim.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-overrated-or-undervalued?tu=pinjim and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.