A641643D-212D-4D07-9286-22D5E3AAA02E (resized).jpeg
FCB6F9FF-E3E6-4231-9F64-3924F8476C2C (resized).png
0472A0AB-507A-4904-92A1-2B8633BDEA55 (resized).jpeg
EC67FC09-FE42-43A8-8693-E9741ADE91E8 (resized).jpeg
C20E9A6B-210D-4740-B83B-85916FD4ABD9 (resized).jpeg
09521466-DB89-434C-9FEC-7CB4DEE203EA (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 4 years ago

One of the best pins
A top 20 pin maybe even top 10

Optos and canons can be nasty

But price is a little high

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer67:

I prefer it to the newer Stern.

This, all day long!

#53 4 years ago

I love the theme and had wanted one forever. Eventually a really nice undocumented HUO fell into my lap. Unfortunately, I'm not a stellar pinball player nor is my Wife and kids and I ended up selling it after about a month because everybody seemed to get too frustrated with it. If I had more space, I probably would've kept it.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

To all those here, if you want a brief encounter with the best of Star Trek: The Next Generation, I would highly recommend the movie Star Trek: First Contact. It is arguably the best of the bunch and a great stand alone movie.

I love that movie.

#55 4 years ago

I think the stern pro should cost what the sttng go for these days or little less imo. Look how much stuff they have cramped in sttng, and look at what you get on a stern pro. It's a freaking joke.

And I love the game and definitely in my top 10 and i hate star trek show.

#56 4 years ago

The show was amazing.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
#57 4 years ago

It was the first pin in my collection and still one of my favourites. It needed a major overhaul when I first purchased it but has been running very well for the last 10 years with no significant problems. I think the game is fantastic and the voice call outs are brilliant. "Get the extra ball", "one day you'll learn to play pinball","The Picard maneuver, nicely done". Getting the cast in for specific recordings really makes the game shine and imho, really lacking on some of the newer machines coming out. Well worth $4500

#58 4 years ago

I've had a few of them over the years but just recently sold off a very nice example. I loved the series and the music and voice overs on it are awesome. (with upgraded speakers of course) Mine were always working perfectly, loom upgrades, everything done to keep them working but there was one problem.

I found I never played it. I loved to turn it on and LISTEN to it, but the actual play is slow, mostly because it's a widebody and the shots are the full length of the playfield (mostly) If you don't change the stainless rails on the outlanes, it's a drain monster. More than that though, the actual game play just doesn't hold my interest anymore.

So yeah, I sold off a very nice collector's quality example of it so I could get my Black Knight: Sword of Rage Premium. Still a Steve Ritchie pin, but a HELL OF A LOT more fun to play.

#59 4 years ago

Of all the games I’ve sold over the years, STTNG is the only sale I regret. Undervalued for sure.

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from mittens:

It was the first pin in my collection and still one of my favourites. It needed a major overhaul when I first purchased it but has been running very well for the last 10 years with no significant problems. I think the game is fantastic and the voice call outs are brilliant. "Get the extra ball", "one day you'll learn to play pinball","The Picard maneuver, nicely done". Getting the cast in for specific recordings really makes the game shine and imho, really lacking on some of the newer machines coming out. Well worth $4500

"We will never surrender, unless you pay us enough", "Do you know most of my patients die?", "Do you have medical insurance?"

#61 4 years ago

Personally, I like the game; but, the greatness of STTNG can't be measured simply by the gameplay, artwork, graphics, and fun factor.

For STTNG, you always need to factor in that without it - we never would've had this story:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/into-the-maw-of-dispair-true-account-of-my-latest-craigslist-nightmare

It gets a free lifetime pass in my book.

#62 4 years ago

I worked as a US Probation Officer in Waco Texas and had the privilege of walking into peoples homes to do “Checks” on them. I thought I had seen some vile things, but after reading that...I felt like I was there reading that story. That would have been a hard pass lol

#63 4 years ago

should cost as much as addams family. great theme/ great rules /great fun .
Best widebody ever .
underpriced and if dialed in as Menacefire says it is a tank.
i am on my 4th Sttng and by far the finest most reliable that i've had.

#64 4 years ago

STTNG was the first pinball I bought, I kept it for 5 years but live a love/hate relationship with him.

Love was mostly how satisfying the shots are, the sound design, the calls and the perfect theme integration. The cannons are still among my favorite toys and it all plays quite fast for a widebody with a very open playfield, totally opposite to the other Superpins.

Hate started a couple weeks after owning it and discovering the joy of optos, the good side is I’ve learned a lot about pinball maintenance but it was a true hassle. But what ended up killing it for me was how easy it was to get the Final Frontier, and in time I lost interest in playing it despite my ongoing passion for Star Trek.

So I understand why people buy it and why people sell it which probably explains the decent price it’s at.

#65 4 years ago

If its fully working, then undervalued

STTNG is a great game (though something was always breaking on mine)

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

should cost as much as addams family.

But why doesn’t it? Overrated or Undervalued?

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

The show was amazing.[quoted image]

Always have to be careful around a Metamorph

#68 4 years ago

It’s overrated for sure. Theme is somewhere between Johnny mnemonic and demo man in terms of relevance. Too floaty and the cannons are garbage. One was more than enough on T2. More isn’t necessarily better.

#69 4 years ago

Wish we had a thread with a list of what pins people consider unreliable and which seem to not breakdown as often. Yes all pins breakdown, but some due to design/parts issues breakdown more often. This list although somewhat subjective would be a good resource for people IMO.

#70 4 years ago

I believe sttng is sitting at the appropriate pricing right now. 4k for a decent one, around 5k for a modded, color dmd, good condition one.
The game is fun, but so is demo man, judge dredd, and many of the games from that era. What makes sttng worth 1 to 2k more then dm or jd...theme. Their are far more trekkies willing to keep the value up on this. Most of the people I talk to about this game either love or hate it. If I didnt love the show as a kid I probably wouldn't care for the game.
As far as reliability sttng needs a few things. One thing I do on all my wms games during a cleaning is replace every opto. They cost a buck each in quantity and if you have a desoldering tool it is fairly easy. Flipper rebuilds are a must on any game I do. With the long shots on sttng the are really important.
The way I decide on a game being worth its cost is by comparing it to similar priced games. Would I rather have sttng or champion pub, junkyard, or a modern stern pro, to name a few. Personally I would take it over most games at that price range, but again I like the show and that seems to be why it's so popular.

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

But why doesn’t it? Overrated or Undervalued?

I think the main thing is the theme is polarizing. Some people just hate Star Trek and won’t give it a chance. The translite lends itself to being a fan of the show.

It’s more undervalued then overrated.

I’ve always thought it’s weird that you hardly ever see IJ’s come up for sale and they’ve always been more expensive. In the last couple years that gap has become even more apparent IMO.

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

The game is fun, but so is demo man, judge dredd, and many of the games from that era. What makes sttng worth 1 to 2k more then dm or jd...theme.

I’ll give you the JD argument, but Demo man is shit compared to STTNG and I loved the movie too.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

I’ll give you the JD argument, but Demo man is shit compared to STTNG and I loved the movie too.

I dont like demo man either. It was just an example of a game that sells for 1500 less the sttng. Johnny mnemonic would have been another I could have used.
Indy Jones is fun but that's the theme getting the love. I could get strung up for saying it, but let's really look at IJ. 2 ramps, 3 pop bumbers. A mini playfield that's practically useless and a cute locking mech. Its everything the stern haters bitch the new sterns have. It does have the code. Which makes the game great. No voice over actors, all the proper music from the movies, and the art work isnt photo shop click and paste. Basically all the reasons wms games in the 90s were the best games made.

#74 4 years ago

STTNG is probably mechanically the most complex pinball machine ever made. Start with all the usual flippers, ramps, kickbacks etc... then the subway is a marvel of engineering with the diverting paths and the way it stages the balls for instant transfers, plus the dual rotating cannons, the elevated borg ship that can be loaded up and fires a ball at you... and on top of that the phenomenal theme integration and the fact that the whole cast recorded custom dialogue for the game.

Dredd and Demo Man and even TZ in comparison are pretty simple. The stuff that JJP does now is probably the only real comparison.

#75 4 years ago

Damn it I want to get a STTNG! how do you all feel it compares to Stern ST? I do need another fast game, and STTNG does not appear to be it

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Damn it I want to get a STTNG! how do you all feel it compares to Stern ST? I do need another fast game, and STTNG does not appear to be it

ST is like a super stripped down fast version of STTNG

#77 4 years ago

STTNG isn’t as much fast as it is epic. It’s pretty quick, don’t get me wrong, but the size puts it more into scale.

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

ST is like a super stripped down fast version of STTNG

STTNG vs. ST is a great real representation of the W/B vs. Stern debate... Pinball heaven vs. a child’s toy.

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

You just asked for it.

Quick Knock on wood!

#80 4 years ago

I would lean towards undervalued but with the maintenance challenges it reportedly has, its probably sitting where it belongs.

It is one of the best games I've played and I almost made it my first machine but chose TZ which I like a bit better.

For me, it's certainly Richies best game. I would love to own one some day.

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

STTNG vs. ST is a great real representation of the W/B vs. Stern debate... Pinball heaven vs. a child’s toy.

Quoted from usandthem:

LOL this is what I’ve been dealing with! STTNG seems so packed - ST does kinda seem like a souped up, fast version of it, but without the crazy ramps and the cannons (maybe those are not as cool as I’m thinking?). Still can’t decide

#82 4 years ago

I don't think the Stern Star Trek did it any favors by being such a good game too but I still think STTNG is undervalued.

I'm biased though, since I have one listed for sale at the higher end of the value spectrum.

The first one I bought four or five years ago I paid $6500 for. Now you see them all day long for sub $5000. I think ultimately there is just a lot of pinball out there and it's a buyers market

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

There are a ton of STTNGs, I see this pin pop up for sale constantly on pinside, facebook and craigslist. As a huge star trek fan, it is my favorite theme. Just my opinion but the game was not very fun to play. Even with the extenders the outlanes are very frustrating.

Play better!

#84 4 years ago

ST-TNG what an amazing pin! Yes, I'm biased. I've owned that title since about 96'. Still have it. I own 6 wide bodied pins (ST-TNG / TZ / WOZ / GNR's / IJ / JJP PoTc) and this game just keeps on giving. Warp factor 9 is the bomb. When it's dialed in, it's smooth and very gratifying hitting the shots and ramps.

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from TimBoch:

Always have to be careful around a Metamorph

i think my fiancee veronika is one.

#86 4 years ago

It’s been a long time since I’ve played a fully functional STTNG in the wild. Sound usually is thin/sucks, not set steep enough, canons disabled etc.

STTNG in the home with a clean and waxed play field and powered sub is a marvel. You get Patrick Stewart call outs for crying out loud, and authentic Borg, arguably the greatest monster species ever created in science fiction (prior to Hugh). This from a superfan who watched the first airing of Best of Both Worlds part 1 and 2.

To me, it’s the best value in pinball. And I think the narrative on difficulty of maintenance is unwarranted. It was my first machine and while I’ve had my fair share of maintenance, it’s been fun and gives me the confidence to do almost any repair on any machine with total confidence.

#87 4 years ago

I've had mine for 6 months now and it needed the standard trough optos replaced and a burnt diverter coil and aux driver board. Did the easy tie back mod, cleaned everything including the subway, new balls, playfield polish and I must say I think this machine and theme integration is breathtaking. Mine is totally stock btw. Sure the right outlane sucks but I've had some amazing games lately on it and still finding new features. I don't/didn't follow the show but I think this machine is a masterpiece. It would be very hard to replace here in the hinterlands and not going anywhere , sits well beside my Space Station. As mentioned above, the fact that I could fix this myself was a real confidence booster, with the help of pinside of course

#88 4 years ago

I have owned sttng for ten years and the only thing that has failed is an opto board. Its a great game and has one of the best call outs. Patrick Stewart “prepare for multiball” is my favorite. When you look at this game it has so many things on it. The sounds are great. Ritchie did a great job on it and it is awesome if your a fan of the show. I will never sell it. The only thing frustrating on it is the side drains. Under 5k for a machine with 2 cannons, a borg ship that fires balls at you and rules that are very easy to understand is worth it to me. I like wide body pins in general, but if this was a standard body it would be more popular amongst the snobs. I have owned a stern pro and premium star trek and you can see where Ritchie tweaked and borrowed from his design from sttng. Both are great.

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

And I think the narrative on difficulty of maintenance is unwarranted. It was my first machine and while I’ve had my fair share of maintenance, it’s been fun and gives me the confidence to do almost any repair on any machine with total confidence.

I would agree here. I like to learn. I would own one just to dial it in. That's just me.

#90 4 years ago
image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
#91 4 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

As far as reliability sttng needs a few things. One thing I do on all my wms games during a cleaning is replace every opto. They cost a buck each in quantity and if you have a desoldering tool it is fairly easy.

I’m with you here. Just replace every opto and be done with it. It’s literally around $25 in parts if you just replace the led and receiver. I just finished all of mine and so far, so good.

I just finished an extensive rebuild on mine, we shall see how well it holds up.

Undervalued game imho. But it’s a tinkers game. Probably not suited for the collector that can’t work on their own machines, and even at that, sttng requires ample prior experience - optos, connectors, board rebuilds, mechanical rebuilds, typically needs fully shopped, etc.

I bought my machine for $3,950 for mine and paid too much given the market and what it needed. I had to buy all new ramps, a new plastic set, new cannon covers and looms, full LEDs, tons of other mech rebuild parts, etc. I’ll never get my money back, but I may never sell mine either. It’s one bad ass game after being properly serviced.

#92 4 years ago

It's awesome. Widebody superpin, 6 ball multiball wizard mode, other multiball modes, dual cannons, patented delivery system, great quality family friendly theme, great theme implementation with callouts from all major show actors, artifacts to earn, beautiful cabinet, artwork, ramps, shooter, Steve Ritchie. Made in 1993 at the height of the golden era of pinball. Genuinely fun and engaging. What more could you want for your pittance? Undervalued. Time will prove it.

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from JeremyON:

It's awesome. Widebody superpin, 6 ball multiball wizard mode, other multiball modes, dual cannons, patented delivery system, great quality family friendly theme, great theme implementation with callouts from all major show actors, artifacts to earn, beautiful cabinet, artwork, ramps, shooter, Steve Ritchie. Made in 1993 at the height of the golden era of pinball. Genuinely fun and engaging. What more could you want for your pittance? Undervalued. Time will prove it.

You only forgot 3 pretty cool video modes. I miss the days when they went out of their way to put much more into pinball instead of less.

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

And I think the narrative on difficulty of maintenance is unwarranted.

I agree and I've now taken mine to three shows and plan to take it back to Pincinnati again this year.

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I agree and I've now taken mine to three shows and plan to take it back to Pincinnati again this year.

I wish I had your luck. I replaced every single subway, VUK and cannon opto and still I'm getting an occasional random multiball, albeit less frequently. But it still happens once every few games. And I have new trough boards.

I need to do the borg ship and then I can say that all optos have been replaced. Which then leads me to suspect connectors and/or the 16 opto board. I can only hope that's it and not something silly like a marginal wire.....

So in my instance, part of bulletproofing the game is replacing every opto, most likely the headers and connectors on the 16 opto board, reflow solder on the 16 opto board, replace the connectors for the trough, and then be royally @#&@! off if it keeps happening. =)

#96 4 years ago

Well I have a STTNG, a TOM, a WH2O, a TZ, a babypac and an IJ. I would sort them as follows, knowing that they are all very good and entertaining ( the babypac is an acquired taste ):
1. IJ
2. TZ
3. STTNG
4. Babypac
5. WH2O
6. TOM

Don’t know if that helps, and yes the STTNG is a pain to maintain, so don’t buy if you don’t have a pro nearby ready to jump in once awhile. ( so is the TOM btw, I would say the IJ, the TZ, WH2O are more stable, the babypac is a class on itself )

If you jump, 2 mods really add to the game: the lazers and the dmdcolor

Cheers.

#97 4 years ago

I don't like the poll. Too limited. I think the game is a good game and currently selling at a fair price. Why does everything good have to be expensive?

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I don't like the poll. Too limited. I think the game is a good game and currently selling at a fair price. Why does everything good have to be expensive?

Because it’s currently ranked #14 on Pinside Top 100 and has a median asking price of $4500. There’s not another game in the top 30 that has a median asking price under $5000. There are currently 7 listed for sale and most have been sitting for weeks.

So...either it’s overrated at #14 or it’s totally undervalued at $4500. If STTNG at $4500 is a good game at a fair price, in today’s high demand pinball market, then one would expect them to sell within a day or two. Thus, the two poll options.

#99 4 years ago

Maybe I’m wrong, but I think some are intimidated by the technical complexity of sttng. I wonder what % of collectors have the ability to maintain such a beast. For me, it’s a labor of love. Others it could be a thorn in their side...

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from etien:

Well I have a STTNG, a TOM, a WH2O, a TZ, a babypac and an IJ. I would sort them as follows, knowing that they are all very good and entertaining ( the babypac is an acquired taste ):
1. IJ
2. TZ
3. STTNG
4. Babypac
5. WH2O
6. TOM
Don’t know if that helps, and yes the STTNG is a pain to maintain, so don’t buy if you don’t have a pro nearby ready to jump in once awhile. ( so is the TOM btw, I would say the IJ, the TZ, WH2O are more stable, the babypac is a class on itself )
If you jump, 2 mods really add to the game: the lazers and the dmdcolor
Cheers.

What? You put Baby Pac ahead of WH2O?!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.99
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 63.95
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-overrated-or-undervalued/page/2?hl=pinjim and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.