(Topic ID: 185063)

STTNG or IJ ?

By Cheese_WizardPQ

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“STTNG or IJ ?”

• STTNG 54 votes
      46%
    • IJ 63 votes
      54%

(117 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170211_135041 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Hey
    I just swaped my IJ+cash for a STTNG in same great shape.
    I was wondering what you guys think of this deal?

I kept IJ for years without never really enjoying it. It's a great game. Top10.... not sure. As a collector/player I was happy to have it in my lineup.
    I played STTNG only 2-3 times and there's something special about it. About the action that I can't find in IJ.

which team are you? added a poll for curiosity
    thanks
    Lou

#2 7 years ago

I thought it should be the other way around, sttng + cash = ij or am i reading what you wrote wrong? You are talking about ij93, right? Sttng is a 4k game all day long. Ij is 5500-6600. I could not stand sttng, felt very clunky and slow and I had a near cq dialed in game. Could not get into it at all. I like ij much better.

#3 7 years ago

It really comes down to which theme you prefer. Both are pretty much equal in game play.

#4 7 years ago

I prefer STTNG to IJ when it comes to gameplay. As far as pricing is concerned though, IJ sells for a good chunk more than STTNG. At least a grand.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

I thought it should be the other way around, sttng + cash = ij or am i reading what you wrote wrong? You are talking about ij93, right? Sttng is a 4k game all day long. Ij is 5500-6600. I could not stand sttng, felt very clunky and slow and I had a near cq dialed in game. Could not get into it at all. I like ij much better.

I get STTNG + 2K in exchange of my IJ.

#6 7 years ago

I think you did good with that deal. Fair for both.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cheese_WizardPQ:

I get STTNG + 2K in exchange of my IJ.

Ah, now that sounds more like it.

That's a deal I'd make.

#8 7 years ago

Just get both, problem solved.

I feel old I paid 2000.00 for My Indiana Jones 15 years ago, and I thought THAT was crazy then.

#10 7 years ago

fair deal. have both, enjoy indy more than sttng. both are great games

#11 7 years ago

Indiana Jones is a much better pinball machine. STTNG is very good but doesn't stack up to IJ.

#12 7 years ago

Thats a fair deal, that being said there is no way my IJ would be replaced by STTNG...

#13 7 years ago

Ij is worth about 1500 more than stnng.

#15 7 years ago

I own both. I have to say I think sttng is better, but very close. Ij can be a post monster and not as flowy.

#16 7 years ago

I own both, don't want to part with either. My sttng was nicely modded by previous owner with powder coated armor, painted ship, color dmd, it's awesome.

20170211_135041 (resized).jpg20170211_135041 (resized).jpg

#17 7 years ago

Great deal on your part. I have both and am a huge fan of both franchises. However, I think STTNG is a better game. Not too crowded but loaded with shots and toys. The modes build are great too. Not a knock on IJ, but if I had to let one to Indy would be out the door.

You have chosen....wisely.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from adii:

Great deal on your part. I have both and am a huge fan of both franchises. However, I think STTNG is a better game. Not too crowded but loaded with shots and toys. The modes build are great too. Not a knock on IJ, but if I had to let one to Indy would be out the door.
    You have chosen....wisely.

...sir, thank you.
    The end

#19 7 years ago

IJ, better rules - more modes. STTNG is a good game but cheap drains tend to steal the fun

#20 7 years ago

IJ: slow turd of a layout with awesome theme, sound, modes. STTNG: awesome in every way. Great trade by you!

#21 7 years ago

Both are fantastic games. At this level of quality, the choice is subjective. I'll always choose IJ if necessary.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cheese_WizardPQ:

...sir, thank you.
    The end

Looks like you are looking for validation of your trade...not opinions on which game is better. Jus sayin.

BTW...I have an IJ but really want a STTNG to sit next to it. I want both!

#23 7 years ago

STTNG was always a game I wish wasn't star trek based as that damn theme gets so annoying. Otherwise great layout and shots. IJ is a classic of course - can't go wrong. Wish both weren't widebodies but that's another story.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

STTNG was always a game I wish wasn't star trek based as that damn theme gets so annoying. Otherwise great layout and shots. IJ is a classic of course - can't go wrong. Wish both weren't widebodies but that's another story.

I love wide bodies! As long as they aren't too wide...

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from gsrogers:

Looks like you are looking for validation of your trade...not opinions on which game is better. Jus sayin.

I thought the same thing. I thought it was a mistake, personally, but he likes what he likes, so who am I to judge?

#26 7 years ago

IJ is a better game in every aspect. Better Art, call outs, theme, toys, game play and resale. I also like the fact that IJ only has one plastic ramp, STTNG a lot of plastic ramps. The game never gets old in my opinion. My only complaint with IJ is the left exit from the pops, the ball just seems to ooz out most of the time. STTNG is a great playing pin too and the only thing it has on IJ is it can be had for way cheaper. I sold a NIB. STTNG a few months ago and regret that I did that. I don't think you can go wrong with either on value wise if you like both of them equally. One has higher resale, but the other can be bought cheaper so that argument is not valid.

#27 7 years ago

I can't seem to get enough of IJ as it is my first pin that I picked up 20 yrs ago. The theme just grabs me.
    Game play is great going to either one but it all comes down what theme you prefer. For me I figure
    IJ would sell for more from what I've seen.

#28 7 years ago

There is not a pin better than IJ . Everything about the game is amazing. I have had 70 pins in 8 years and IJ for 5 and it will never leave. I like STTNG and had it for 2 years. I would get it again sometime but in no hurry.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I thought the same thing. I thought it was a mistake, personally, but he likes what he likes, so who am I to judge?

I was and still happy with my deal. It wasn't a validation thing. Just asked for pinsiders opinions.

#30 7 years ago

IJA is the perfect game in my opinion. There's just something to it that keeps me coming back and even after playing it for almost 25 years I still find myself reaching new levels of fun. Adding a PinSound board really helped push the game to 11.

#31 7 years ago

I own both and both are fantastic pins. Neither are leaving anytime soon but I very briefly considered letting STTNG go to help fund an Alien. I quickly realized I would regret letting STTNG go and decided to just pony up the cash for an Alien instead.

Both represent some of the best theme integration of all time. IJ is just well done from head to tail and has very fun modes....and even though I'm not the biggest fan of video modes I think the ones in IJ are some of the best out there. STTNG has custom callouts by ALL of the main characters.....that's unheard of in pinball and very cool. If you're a fan of STTNG all the better. IT can be a pretty brutal game with those outlanes but will certainly up your "nudging" skills.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from jake35:

I love wide bodies! As long as they aren't too wide...

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

IJ is a better game in every aspect. Better Art, call outs, theme, toys, game play and resale. I also like the fact that IJ only has one plastic ramp, STTNG a lot of plastic ramps. The game never gets old in my opinion. My only complaint with IJ is the left exit from the pops, the ball just seems to ooz out most of the time. STTNG is a great playing pin too and the only thing it has on IJ is it can be had for way cheaper. I sold a NIB. STTNG a few months ago and regret that I did that. I don't think you can go wrong with either on value wise if you like both of them equally. One has higher resale, but the other can be bought cheaper so that argument is not valid.

Better callouts? Have you played Sttng? Because anyone that says STTNG is lacking in callouts when all the modes and gameplay have custom speech through is out of their mind. The IJ jackpot calls though are fantastic, but not at the custom sttng level.

I've had sttng for about 9 years now, and had IJ a few years ago. Both games have great modes, but the Star Trek ones are better in my opinion because there's a point to beating them (artifact for the wizard mode). STTNG shoots a lot better as well with the third flipper, there are a lot more shots and combos. I do think that the art on IJ is better. The toys? Path of adventure vs turrets and borg ship? I don't think there's really that much difference there.

I think IJ has a killer theme and looks fantastic but it isn't the greatest playing game in the world relative to other games of the era. When you're outside the modes IJ doesn't have anything like the Warp 9.9 mode to really go after. I really wanted to keep IJ but the longer term thing of modes not really mattering (other than some extra balls) made it expendable. STTNG has stayed in large part because of that fact for me. You must like Star Trek:TNG the show to really like the pinball I think (keeper status), whereas IJ is a lot more appealing to a broader audience.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Better callouts? Have you played Sttng? Because anyone that says STTNG is lacking in callouts when all the modes and gameplay have custom speech through is out of their mind. The IJ jackpot calls though are fantastic, but not at the custom sttng level.
    I've had sttng for about 9 years now, and had IJ a few years ago. Both games have great modes, but the Star Trek ones are better in my opinion because there's a point to beating them (artifact for the wizard mode). STTNG shoots a lot better as well with the third flipper, there are a lot more shots and combos. I do think that the art on IJ is better. The toys? Path of adventure vs turrets and borg ship? I don't think there's really that much difference there.
    I think IJ has a killer theme and looks fantastic but it isn't the greatest playing game in the world relative to other games of the era. When you're outside the modes IJ doesn't have anything like the Warp 9.9 mode to really go after. I really wanted to keep IJ but the longer term thing of modes not really mattering (other than some extra balls) made it expendable. STTNG has stayed in large part because of that fact for me. You must like Star Trek:TNG the show to really like the pinball I think (keeper status), whereas IJ is a lot more appealing to a broader audience.

I have owned both games for almost 20 years, and would generally agree with your statements above.

STTNG:
    - All about flow and intensity, adrenaline rush.
    - Theme integration and callouts are probably the finest in pinball, IJ and TaF up there as well.
    - Looks 10x better with LEDs, fits the cool space theme and colors.
    - STTNG needs to be well maintained, esp. strong flippers to be fun. Definitely get the lane extenders as well, at least for the right outlane. Most examples out there are clunkers that aren't fun to shoot, a well maintained example is amazing though.

IJ:
    - Oozes adventure! Warm and inviting.
    - Some really fun shots but the pops are kind of pointless and the mode start is a PIA.
    - LEDing the GI will usually kill the magic on this one. Needs warm sparkly incandescent bulbs to make the warm playfield colors glow.

Basically, two completely different feeling games, both excellent. I'd be torn to choose between them, but I think you did fine with your trade and hope you enjoy STTNG!

#35 7 years ago

I own both as well. I don't think you can go wrong owning either one.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from Kronlar:

I don't think you can go wrong owning either one.

this is honestly what it boils down to...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-or-ij and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.