Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which would you choose if you had a choice?”

(0 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

star-trek-002.gif
#1 11 years ago

I have limited space and have to decide between STTNG and IJ.

STTNG will be a very nice original example once cleaned up with LED's, mirror blades and I am sure a few addition mods(shaker, etc)

IJ: full out restore in process. Touched up CC pf, new cab decals, NOS plastics, new ramp, new star posts, mostly new. All metal has been brass polished by Mike...rails, legs, apron, hinged, lockdown, wire forms.

I know IJ will be a much nicer machine and worth more once all said and done however I need to decide which one I am keeping to determine which one gets priority. I have played about 50 games on each title and still up in the air....any guidence would be great.

#2 11 years ago

IJ is the only choice......that you put on the poll.

#3 11 years ago

I prefer STTNG by a long shot....but I don't really like widebodies that much. I'd probably sell both personally haha

#4 11 years ago

I know...damn it. Hit enter and now cant figure out how to add voting options.....anyone know. Sorry

#5 11 years ago

STTNG by default.

#6 11 years ago

IJ...but i love the theme

#7 11 years ago

While I happen to think STTNG is the better game, a fully restored IJ is quite the sight to behold. As a collector, I think it makes more sense for you to keep the one that is nicer.

#8 11 years ago

Gweempose...how can I fix my pole to add IJ and then maybe was going to put sell them both as a third option.

#9 11 years ago

For me I would keep STTNG, though both are great games.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer22:

Gweempose...how can I fix my pole to add IJ and then maybe was going to put sell them both as a third option.

There should be an edit button next to the number of votes.

#11 11 years ago

I have owned and restored both...
My vote (if I could) STTNG.
Love IJ miss it but STTNG is such a better overall game.
Would have IJ again and will if the price keeps reasonable.

#12 11 years ago
#13 11 years ago

Ij. I may be in the minority here but I like the gameplay - it is a pinball adventure . The theme is great of course and I have to agree with gweem that a fully restored game is beautiful

#15 11 years ago
#16 11 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Would have IJ again and will if the price keeps reasonable.

You know I still got one for you whenever you're ready to pick it up

#17 11 years ago

ST:TNG by a long shot. It's tied with Tron:LE as my #1 pin.

Later,
EV

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer22:

I have limited space and have to decide between STTNG and IJ.
STTNG will be a very nice original example once cleaned up with LED's, mirror blades and I am sure a few addition mods(shaker, etc)
IJ: full out restore in process. Touched up CC pf, new cab decals, NOS plastics, new ramp, new star posts, mostly new. All metal has been brass polished by Mike...rails, legs, apron, hinged, lockdown, wire forms.
I know IJ will be a much nicer machine and worth more once all said and done however I need to decide which one I am keeping to determine which one gets priority. I have played about 50 games on each title and still up in the air....any guidence would be great.

Keep the one you like best and sell the other one.

#21 11 years ago

Wow....guess STTNG wins even though I failed to put together a voting option. I have looked and cant seem to figure it out?

#22 11 years ago

Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to edit another users polls. I believe robin is the only person who can do that. You should be able to edit your own, however. I know I can.

#23 11 years ago

It's a toss up IMO. Both great games. IJ wins in theme. STTNG wins in rules.

#25 11 years ago

Keep IJ, I wish I still had mine and I don't miss my STTNG nearly as much.

Kevin

#26 11 years ago
#27 11 years ago

Guess....

star-trek-002.gifstar-trek-002.gif

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

For me I would keep STTNG, though both are great games.

Ditto.

#29 11 years ago

Owned both games. STTNG by far is the superior game.

#31 11 years ago

IJ by a mile. I mean, 12 different modes, 3 different and random video modes, 6 ball multiball, great theme as it ties in all three of the classic movies into one game, great art....its ALMOST the perfect game. Only thing it lacks in my opinion is that it doesn't really have a skill shot and it would be cool to have a spinner somewhere's on the game. Other then that its a awesome game and mine will never leave.
STTNG just never did anything for me even back when it was new.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#32 11 years ago

owned both, still own IJ so that's my pick, but they are both great games. I miss my STTNG a lot and probably would pick one up later, it was harder for me as a novice player, I didn't really understand how to beat it.

#33 11 years ago

if you are looking to get rid of the ST:TNG pm me with a price. i would like to add one to my collection

christopher

#34 11 years ago

If you're on the fense then sell the more expensive one. You seem to be happy equally with either do you may as well maximize the money you put into your pocket. That probably means sell the IJ. Probably be $6000-7000 for the restored condition or more.

#35 11 years ago

In order to properly answer this question, one has to understand how Pinballer22 approaches the hobby. The main reason I suggested that he keeps the IJ is because I know how critical he can be when it comes to the condition of his games. Whenever possible, he likes them to be flawless. The IJ fits this criteria, whereas he would probably just end up trading the STTNG away for a nicer one somewhere down the road.

#36 11 years ago

IJ. I would say "not close" even and I like ST:TNG show and machine.

#37 11 years ago

Personally, I'd keep IJ but...

...keep the one you enjoy more.

#39 11 years ago

One good option is to try and sell them both at the price you want.. Keep the one that does not sell first.

#40 11 years ago

Keep IJ. I love both pins, but I know STTNG's are cheaper and you can get one later down the road.

#41 11 years ago

STTNG by a mile.

#42 11 years ago

Are you guys kidding? Sttng is nowhere near as deep as IJ, not by a long shot, and everything feels like the same game over and over with the same starting sequences seeming to be more repetitive with sttng than any other machine. “[nerdy ST villain] what are you doing here?”...

IJ is such a good machine, more PLAYABLE modes than any other machine, so many combos shots available from the ramps and orbits, probably the best mini PF.... Man I'm baffled...

Don't get me wrong, sttng is a good machine, but play wise it's not close to IJ.

#43 11 years ago

Atomic boy you hit the nail on the head

#44 11 years ago

If only the poll wasn't borked.

Could have been as epic as the TZ vs LOTR Deathmatch (that pretty much ended in a tie)
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-vs-lotr-deathmatch

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Are you guys kidding? Sttng is nowhere near as deep as IJ, not by a long shot, and everything feels like the same game over and over with the same starting sequences seeming to be more repetitive with sttng than any other machine. “[nerdy ST villain] what are you doing here?”...
IJ is such a good machine, more PLAYABLE modes than any other machine, so many combos shots available from the ramps and orbits, probably the best mini PF.... Man I'm baffled...
Don't get me wrong, sttng is a good machine, but play wise it's not close to IJ.

There are a lot of reasons sttng is the better game. It doesn't have as many modes, that's for sure. IJ modes are probably better than any other game out there. But comparing the two:

playfield--sttng flows better, has the third flipper. Advantage sttng
modes--IJ has more modes and they're some of the best in pinball, advantage IJ
strategy--this is where sttng kills IJ. On IJ, you either go for modes or multiball, those are the only options worth going for basically. Modes do not effect the wizard mode though, and that's the key omission. On sttng, you have to beat the modes to score high as they add to the wizard mode, and there's more to do besides modes and multiball (warp factors, neutral zone, holodeck). The mode thing adds more intensity to the game...on IJ, if you fail a mode, no big deal. On sttng if you fail a mode, that's critical to wizard mode scoring. The other issue is that a lot of times it feels like shots in IJ have no scoring or purpose outside of modes or multiball. Like shooting the non-dogfight ramp in IJ scores basically nothing and helps you zero. Whereas every shot in st:tng outside of a mode has a purpose (warp, advance rank, neutral zone, explosive missions, lock ball, etc).

That's why I favor sttng over IJ. Theme and modes are definitely better on IJ, it's just the gameplay and strategy on sttng are better (in my opinion). I still do really like IJ though, I like it better than TZ.

#46 11 years ago

ij all the way

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

If only the poll wasn't borked.

I know...any working with the mods it appears to be some sort of bug I started by accidentially only having one. It wont allow a vote and I dont have the option to change it. Trust me I wish it worked!

Quoted from Rascal_H:

Could have been as epic as the TZ vs LOTR Deathmatch (that pretty much ended in a tie)

This is also looking true...started with almost all STTNG and now has shifted that IJ has came on strong.

Quoted from gweempose:

Whenever possible, he likes them to be flawless.

Gweempose hit the nail on the head! I do enjoy them all to be near flawless. That is my problem and have been throwing around the idea of giving STTNG the full overhaul as well but just too many in line with not enough time.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

The other issue is that a lot of times it feels like shots in IJ have no scoring or purpose outside of modes or multiball. Like shooting the non-dogfight ramp in IJ scores basically nothing and helps you zero. Whereas every shot in ST:TNG outside of a mode has a purpose (warp, advance rank, neutral zone, explosive missions, lock ball, etc).

Outside of modes there is nothing to do in IJ??? All ramps and orbits light up for different combo shots, opening up the left and right loops, corresponding to the characters collected (or after they are collected, I'm still entirely sure how that works completely). There is the captive ball that starts another mini mode. There is lighting the path of adventure, and over and over trying to roll over the lights to increase the pit value, there is super jets, there is loading up the dogfight ramp”s” and collecting (yeah, hitting one at the wrong time should give you no points), there are mini bonuses in the hand of fate, and not to mention all the modes are very well thought out, and different, and very challenging, especially for mid 90s. Of course, there is a the MB, which is easy for no pinheads to load up, however loading up double and triple jackpots, than cashing triples is a challenge, not to mention cashing three jackpots to light the super at the captive. There is the narrow escape which one of the very coolest features in pinball, along with the ideal locking mech.

I don’t know man, there is a little more to do than the modes...

I do wish someone would mod all b/w game roms so that you had to finish or hit a certain goal to collect the mode, but even without that, IJ is far far deeper than STTNG. Again, STTNG is a good machine (if you can get by all that nerd trek crap, which I can’t), but IJ is IMO is deeper than TZ, and only second to LAH for depth in the 90s.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

if you can get by all that nerd trek crap, which I can’t

Are you serious? Your into pinball right?? Not traditionally considered the hobby of the cool dudes. Too bad you can't get over that stigma because its one of the best pins out there.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Taking the theme out of the conversation and only talking about gameplay, if your goal is to put up a great score each time you play then IJ becomes a shallow, one dimensional game.

The biggest problem with IJ is that it's scoring is very imbalanced. The values of the jackpots, their multipliers and the super jackpots completely neuter everything else in the game. Which causes players to not care about modes, ramps or other parts of the game.

ST:TNG is a much more balanced game and gives a player multiple ways to put up great scores, but it also rewards for taking riskier paths. Play only multiball or play Warp factors, or play ramp combos, or let it all hang out and get Final Frontier with crap loads of artifacts. All are good strategies.

Don't get me wrong, IJ is still a great game. Just one that has a flawed rulesheet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
14,000 (OBO)
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-of-ijwhich-one-should-i-keep and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.