Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Pin_Guy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Still having a hard time getting STTNG back up and going. All optos in trough are testing fine. 6 balls loaded. No errors on start up. But canons keep searching and it won't stage the balls or load a ball in the launcher?
Any tips?

#2 3 years ago

Make sure the diverters are working properly

#3 3 years ago

It's not even trying to launch the first staged ball though. I'll double-check the optos...

#4 3 years ago

The wires going to the cannons are probably bad .

#5 3 years ago

I switch every opto on every next gen I get. Even if they check good. If they original, it's only a matter of time before they start to go. It's great how the game stages to speed up the ball delay. Unfortunately that makes all the under playfield optos essential to run smooth.

Next thing is exactly what trilogybeer said, replace the canon wires. Another big issue with the game. If the wires pull tight it causes the optos to flicker and wont fire properly.

#6 3 years ago

...and I forgot to mention the trough. Not just star trek, but most wms trough can develop grooves and the balls will hang up. I've had luck sanding them a bit. I think they sell other options for that also.

#7 3 years ago

Problem is it never even tries to stage the 1st ball. Cannons just spin and can't start a game. Clearing balls with the menu they all eject fine

#8 3 years ago

An easy way to tell if the problem is the wiring to the cannons is to separate the wires going to them and gently pull each one chances are one or more of the wires will pull through because they are already broken . The turning of those cannons puts stress on those wires and over time they break . They should be replaced .

#9 3 years ago

Try disabling the cannons in the settings and see if it behaves any differently, I would expect it to stage a ball to the left VUK and then be ready to start the game but I haven't actually done this before. You can try disabling one then the other then both. Do the cannon switches all register properly (home, away and the opto for ball sense)?

#10 3 years ago

Both cannon switches do test properly. But they don't ever stop at home. I assume that's the issue. I will open the right cannon harness as the left one was just rebuilt.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from SDVmnt:

Still having a hard time getting STTNG back up and going. All optos in trough are testing fine. 6 balls loaded. No errors on start up. But canons keep searching and it won't stage the balls or load a ball in the launcher?
Any tips?

Sorry, just seeing this now, I do have a couple tips.
1) There is a diagnostic menu specifically for the cannon, run this test to verify the column 9 switches.
2) In switch edge, block the cannon optos to verity they work...even if you replaced them.
3) While I would be happy to sell you one, replacing the cannon wiring harness is a PITA, don't replace it unless you know its bad.
You can verify this with a simple continuity test that takes far less time than replacing the harness and is also free.
4) Post all STTNG related questions to the ST:TNG owners forum
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 85.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 37.50
$ 63.95
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 64.99
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-not-staging-balls-?hl=freeplay3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.