(Topic ID: 119154)

STTNG - Not Locking Balls (Bouncing Out / Away)

By robbiedoo

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by caker137
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2015-01-17 12.36.50.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I wonder if this has been covered before, but it seems that I'm having a hard time getting my STTNG to consistently or regularly 'accept' balls into the ball lock / launch probe hole behind the pop bumpers.

The play field is level and properly angled, so I don't beleive that's the issue.

The ball always seems to bounce off the metal backing behind the hole, and ends up skipping over the hole itself, I would think that having something there to cushion the ball might help absorb some of the momentum and allow the ball to slow enough to fall in the hole - but that's just off the top of my head.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or is there a common fix for this? I can't help but to feel this must be a common thing - but maybe not.

EDIT
Resolved. It was the fact that the drop target was sitting below the playfield when down, causing the ball to jump instead of falling into the hole.

Thanks for the help in the thread all.

#2 9 years ago

Check the drop target and make sure it is level with the playfield.

#3 9 years ago

also make sure the metal backing is not bent in a way that the ball hits it and then rebounds over the whole.

#4 9 years ago

On my STTNG, the brass lever that auto-drops the black drop down target broke. I thought the ball was bouncing out of the hole also until I realized that that piece had broke. Might want to look at that??

#5 9 years ago

Just checked and it looks like the drop target might be slightly below the playfeild when it's down, not sure if that would make a difference?

Quoted from Sammy31:

also make sure the metal backing is not bent in a way that the ball hits it and then rebounds over the whole.

Well, that's what's happening... so is a more vertical bend better or should it be sharply angled forward?

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

Well, that's what's happening... so is a more vertical bend better or should it be sharply angled forward?

Sharply angled forward. There is another one behind the Command Decision hole that is identical. If the drop target is down, that metal bracket behind should throw the ball straight down into the subway below. If it's bouncing out there is something wrong with the bracket behind or the drop isn't dropping down at all.

EDIT: Here is mine from when I was tearing my game down for shopping it out.

2015-01-17 12.36.50.jpg2015-01-17 12.36.50.jpg

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

Just checked and it looks like the drop target might be slightly below the playfeild when it's down, not sure if that would make a difference?

Absolutely it will. The mech is adjustable so level it and see if that helps.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Absolutely it will. The mech is adjustable so level it and see if that helps.

Yup, important. The ball bounces off of the playfield edge and goes up off the playfield and impacts the angled metal piece; it rattles and bounces back out, avoiding the hole. Had this problem on mine when I first got it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.99
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 63.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-not-locking-balls-bouncing-out-away and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.