sttng original translite 1 (resized).jpg
sttng alternate translite 1 (resized).jpg
sttng alternate translite 2 (resized).jpg
sttng alternate translite 2 (resized).jpg
sttng alternate translite 2 copy (resized).jpg
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Tittle says it all! Moving on to the new translite project, an original for Star Trek: The Next Generation.
The goal is to make the U.S.S. Enterprise the center of the action, and not Picard's huge face.
Already have the ideas for it and will keep posting them as soon as I draw them.
This time I am aiming for a slightly different technique then the previous translites I made. It's gonna be something a little more realistic.
As usual, will try to respect the flashers's positions as much as possible.

As always, all comments are welcome.

The drawing board:
sttng alternate translite 1 (resized).jpgsttng alternate translite 1 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

I was working on a version awhile ago. Here are some of the pictures. I was hoping to keep the Borg ship on the backglass since it's not well known in Star Trek, yet a major focus of the machine. I also put in some "cloaked" Bird of Prey if you look close. The idea with the boarder was to eventually make it look as though you were watching it on a computer display, by bringing in some of those geometric shapes that are between the flippers on the playfield. I thought there were some good ideas there, but it never got to a point where I was inspired to finish the project.

0d55827e68a76fa65df31a20959ad1a76afb3c5c (resized).jpg0d55827e68a76fa65df31a20959ad1a76afb3c5c (resized).jpg
1141517-gorgerous-star-trek-uss-enterprise-wallpaper-2560x1600-windows-10 (resized).jpg1141517-gorgerous-star-trek-uss-enterprise-wallpaper-2560x1600-windows-10 (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#3 4 years ago

This one had to wait because of the wwf royal rumble project, but I am picking this up again

The U.S.S. Enterprise as the center of the action as promised: :p

Screenshot 2020-01-28 at 11.39.06 copy (resized).jpgScreenshot 2020-01-28 at 11.39.06 copy (resized).jpg
#4 4 years ago

The first mockup:

sttng original translite 1 copy (resized).jpgsttng original translite 1 copy (resized).jpg

1 week later
#5 4 years ago

A little color

sttng alternate translite 1 copy (resized).jpgsttng alternate translite 1 copy (resized).jpg

sttng original translite 1 copy (resized).jpgsttng original translite 1 copy (resized).jpg

#6 4 years ago

Looks good. Try to bring in some other ships and more color to coordinate with the side art.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Looks good. Try to bring in some other ships and more color to coordinate with the side art.

Thanks!
Yes I am still gonna ad a lot of stuff

#8 4 years ago

Have enjoyed your previous translites; looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. Wish I would have seen this thread last week before I ordered a stock replacement.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Thanks!
Yes I am still gonna ad a lot of stuff

Hope that includes some googly eyes.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from dos_reboot:

Hope that includes some googly eyes.

hahaha

1 week later
#11 4 years ago

Update

sttng alternate translite 1 (resized).jpgsttng alternate translite 1 (resized).jpg

sttng original translite 1 (resized).jpgsttng original translite 1 (resized).jpg

#12 4 years ago

A small flasher test:
(Can't seem to upload animated gifs here anymore, so please click the link to see the animation)
https://ibb.co/dgK2xgP

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

A small flasher test:
(Can't seem to upload animated gifs here anymore, so please click the link to see the animation)
https://ibb.co/dgK2xgP

That is seriously pretty cool. I like this overall, but I don't know how I feel about the Enterprise being blue. Also it would look nice to have a planet or something in the background but maybe not one that takes up the whole thing.

#14 4 years ago

Also since the warbird is exploding, it would be cool/make sense to have some phaser fire coming from the ship.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

the Enterprise being blue

You are right. The idea was to be reflecting the lettering but I think I made it too much. Has to have some white areas as well.

Quoted from Pahuffman:

it would look nice to have a planet or something in the background but maybe not one that takes up the whole thing

This is just a WIP. It will have planets and stuff on the background.

Quoted from Pahuffman:

Also since the warbird is exploding, it would be cool/make sense to have some phaser fire coming from the ship.

Which ship? There is a phaser coming from the second bird of prey from the left.

#16 4 years ago

I was thinking from the Enterprise, but it's your piece! Can't wait to see how this turns out. I haven't loved any of the alternative translites yet, so this is very promising.

#17 4 years ago

Man... that's a hella battle.... Klingons, Romulans, and Borg!
I actually like the STNG BG... because Autographs; but I know others will love an alternative.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

an alternative.

A GOOD alternative.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I was thinking from the Enterprise, but it's your piece!

Yes it is but feel free to comment whatever you like. Many times I read the comments and apply the changes when it feels like a good idea. For example, your comment on the blue made me realize the shit was actually way too much blue so I will change it.

As for the laser, yeah that top right war is like the background for the enterprise, as you can see by the size of the ships overall. The enterprise is way too the front to be interacting with the birds
Anyway I am planing to put a bird on the right side of the enterprise, kind of trying to follow the enterprise to catch it. If it looks good, then the enterprise will be firing at it.

#20 4 years ago

A little more action..

sttng original translite 1 (resized).jpgsttng original translite 1 (resized).jpg

#21 4 years ago

I like where you’re going! It’s always a shame when a nice alt translite doesn’t take the lights and flashers into account.

I do think you should use the side art as your art reference so the art and the more kinda nebula space background remain consistent. Plus it will bring a little more color up ins.

Can’t wait to see your final results.

#22 4 years ago

I'm really liking this now! The Big E looks great with the new colors.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

I do think you should use the side art as your art reference so the art and the more kinda nebula space background remain consistent.

Yes the background will have all that. It is not done yet

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

It’s always a shame when a nice alt translite doesn’t take the lights and flashers into account.

I always take these into account.
That is why I like to do Stern's translites more, because I don't need to be restrained by the flashers

#25 4 years ago

Background.
The right and left bottom areas will have characters, that is why there is nothing much there right now.

I tried to match the rest of the machine as much as possible. The pf has way too much purple so I can't put so much, but with that pink and blues it will match very well. And with the cabinet.

Don't know about those 2 planets on the left, but we will see.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

The right and left bottom areas will have characters, that is why there is nothing much there right now.

It's looking good, but possibly a bit cluttered. It's not necessary to fill every blank spot with some object or ship or color. It's space and shouldn't look too crowded.

I'd get rid of the blue nebula in the top left, those four small planets and maybe nix 3 of the smaller ships on the top center and right side.

The lower planet looks great, btw. But maybe a different color for better contrast to the text. Possibly a lighter, faded planet like our own moon

I don't know if characters will be better. That's what I'm hoping to get rid of. We have the original translite if we want to see characters.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

It's looking good, but possibly a bit cluttered. It's not necessary fill every blank spot with some object or ship or color. It's space and shouldn't look too crowded.

I'd get rid of the blue nebula in the top left, those four small planets and maybe nix 3 of the smaller ships on the top center and right side.

The lower planet looks great, btw. But maybe a different color for better contrast to the text. Possibly a lighter, faded planet like our own moon

I don't know if characters will be better. That's what I'm hoping to get rid of. We have the original translite if we want to see characters.

I agree with every one of these points.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

That's what I'm hoping to get rid of. We have the original translite if we want to see characters.

haha I was actually gonna do 2 versions. One just with ships and background and another with characters on the bottom. But I was gonna show just in the end.

Yes I agree the background has way too much stuff and needs to be cleaned.

#29 4 years ago

Nice job, I already have an alternate version but might pick this one up as well.

#30 4 years ago

Nice work so far, you will get a lot of feedback as you can't please everybody.

- I agree, ditch the two tiny planets on the left.
- Keep the blue nebula, colours are great and it gives the borg ship more depth. Really like how you rendered the shield.
- Speed lines (motion lines) behind the Enteprise and other ships indicate it is in flight, yet it is also engaged in battle with Borg and Klingon ships. Have you tried it without them? See below.
- I like that you have an orange fireball planet to match the side art.

STTNG (resized).PNGSTTNG (resized).PNG
#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Aquapin:

you will get a lot of feedback as you can't please everybody

Yes. Unfortunately I can't please everybody.
This is why I almost never do only one version. To try to please the most peeps as possible. In this case I will make a characters version and a just ships version.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Aquapin:

Have you tried it without them?

It is an evating maneuver
I think it gives it that motion feel that makes the piece with a little more action.

#33 4 years ago

This should be the no characters version:

There is a flasher right here where the klingon vor'cha class is firing:

flasher (resized).jpgflasher (resized).jpg

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Oh wow! I legit love this. It's busy but I like that for such an intense battle. Curious to see what the character version will look like. Flasher in Locutus's eye? haha

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:Curious to see what the character version will look like.

Making the Borg prominent would be interesting. Up front I mean.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Flasher in Locutus's eye? haha

Hahathe flasher is way too much to the middle of the translite, which means I would have to put his head way to big to get there. :p

Quoted from Bendit:

Making the Borg prominent would be interesting. Up front I mean.

He will be on a corner as the original hehe. The main attraction on this translite is the enterprise

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
There is a flasher right here where the klingon vor'cha class is firing:
[quoted image]

This looks awesome. I'd be in on one for sure.

#38 4 years ago

The characters version:
A few characters on the left. There are no flashers there so no head will blink

sttng alternate translite characters (resized).jpgsttng alternate translite characters (resized).jpg

#39 4 years ago

Gotta fit Data in there somewhere, he’s a major part of the game

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

Gotta fit Data in there somewhere, he’s a major part of the game

So is Worf

#41 4 years ago

Yep, forgot him

#42 4 years ago

This is just the left side :p

#43 4 years ago

Transporter!

sttng alternate translite 2 (resized).jpgsttng alternate translite 2 (resized).jpg

#44 4 years ago

The planets are a little distracting from all the other cool stuff you have put in there and transporter looks out of place. Everything else though is fantastic!

#45 4 years ago

I agree. Too cluttered.

Dump the characters, too. The bright red fireball planet is too close and similar in color to the Enterprise engine.

Keep just the large planet at the bottom and it's perfect.

#46 4 years ago

Stock borg ship is garbage, mod a borg cube and use that instead. Bet a translite with borg cube will look way better!

#47 4 years ago

You'll never please everyone. I think the characters are important. They are in the game callouts. However, I think the transporter looks out-of-place, and it has characters that are already on the translite (Riker, Laforge, Troy) or not in the game (Tasha Yar). The 3 missing characters that are not on the translite but can be heard in the game are Data, Worf, and Q. Not sure how to integrate them.

I prefer the Borg cube also however the Borg ship in the DMD dots is not the cube. Would have been hard to create a pixelated cube on a DMD I am guessing.

Nice work in any case.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

You'll never please everyone.

Haha never!

I am gonna leave everything for now and will take out things that are in the way in the end. It’s better to see how it all blends in when it’s done.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Dump the characters, too.

I have a no characters version. Check a few posts above

Quoted from NotoR1ouZ:

Bet a translite with borg cube will look way better!

I thought of it also when I was on the ideas phase. But the machine does not have the cube so in order for it to match it has to be this way.

#50 4 years ago

I believe MrMikeman hit the nail on the head with what he said 3 posts above. Listen to him and it’ll be the perfect translight for this game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.95
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-new-original-translite-project and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.