image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Okay! So I picked up a STTNG locally from Craigslist yesterday. I got it moved into the house today and gave it a much more detailed inspection. I solved three switch errors with simple cleaning. I have three left that I need a bit of advice for:

Switch #57 Drop Target - this is a 5647-12693-31 switch and the wire part is completely missing. I'm pretty sure a new switch will solve this issue.

Switch #61 and Switch #62 - these are the first two ball through switches. 61 wasn't kicking when I inspected it but started when I played it a few times. These switches are controlled by opto boards - but you already knew that! I have no knowledge of technical board terms, but the blue ant looking piece for R6 is missing and the one for R7 snaped at the joint. The LED6 blub is also missing. I'm going to see if a local friend can fix these problems. If not, can anyone recommend an aftermarket replacement that will work well in STTNG?

Beyond that, I will probably need a new right side ramp. My concern is do new ramps come with the stickers on them? The blub from the third pop bumper burned the plastic and created a "zit" looking bump in the ramp. I can still hit the ramp.

The flipper coil numbers do not match what the manual instructs. The right upper and lower flippers are FL-17636 and the left flipper is FL-15411. The manual calls for FL-11629 (blue). The right side coils are blue but different numbers. The left flipper coil is orange. So, is the mismatch a big deal? I can hit all the shots in the game and I haven't even rebuilt the flippers yet.

The left cannon has a difficult time retracting the plunger that shoots the ball from it. I'm pretty sure cleaning the plunger and replacing the sleeve should fix this - I had a similar problem with the couch on Simpsons.

Game play question = there seems to be a shootout or something coming from the upper part of the Borg ship. What shot or sequence of shots must I hit for that to activate?

And lastly I would like to thank everyone on pinside for all the help you have given me for the past 2-3 years. In my opinion, this is the friendliest, most helpful, best designed and all around most awesome pinball site online.

I'm going to post some pictures from my cell phone. Thanks again!

#2 11 years ago

Here are the pictures.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#3 11 years ago

Switch 57 - yes new switch and trip wire is a good idea - get wires in the right spots and silver banded end of diode on the same way.

Switch 61 and 62, get the GLM wide body trough opto board set and be done with it.
http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/ your game is worth it, and you can save yourself a lot of headaches with the old boards.

FL-17636 is a STNG prototype coil that didn't get used when the games went into production. If you are happy with the game the way it plays, I'd leave them be.

Left cannon - common to have the plunger get magnetized and do this - demagnetize it. ( wave one of those big honking soldering guns across it )

LTG : )

#4 11 years ago

One thing I would do to your game if it hasn't been done yet.

The single drop target, the up coil has three wires to one lug. Purple wires with a green stripe. ( two thick ones and one thin one - the thin one is more lavender in color with green stripe ) if the thin one breaks off, you blow up stuff on the small driver board in the upper right side of the head of your game, and lock on a subway coil and melt it.

I would remove all three and solder them together to another wire called a pig tail. A single wire a few inches long. Solder all three to one end of the single wire ( and heat shrink tubing on it ) and then solder the other end of the single wire to that coil lug.

That way if the single wire breaks off, it stays hooked to the other three and you don't blow stuff up, only the coil stops working.

#5 11 years ago

Hey thanks LTG! I'll check out those wires when I'm back underneath the game again tomorrow. I had never even seen a STTNG until yesterday when I bought one. The game instantly drew me in. It's quite fun -- even when it's not 100%.

I couldn't find the opto boards on pinball life's site.

#6 11 years ago

Only one problem. I don't see how to actually order from this website. Is it old fashioned? Email them with an order request I was hoping to get it in tonight + overnight shipping = get it Saturday or Monday.

#7 11 years ago

Rats... marco is sold out of half the board set.

This is the one I need... but would it work without the upgraded receiver piece?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16927

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

Rats... marco is sold out of half the board set.

This is the one I need... but would it work without the upgraded receiver piece?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16927

You need both sides.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

Only one problem. I don't see how to actually order from this website. Is it old fashioned? Email them with an order request I was hoping to get it in tonight + overnight shipping = get it Saturday or Monday.

I don't think you can order direct, find out who their other dealers are.

#10 11 years ago

Found it! Marco sells a set under a different number. They also sell just the board I need. Oddly the upgrade set is cheaper.

Upgrade set:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-18244-GLM

Replacement factory:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-17982

#11 11 years ago

Made my orders. Apparently, any game I buy results in about $200 worth of orders. I will still need a beta quadarant ramp. I'm going to see if I find one cheaper than $119. A used one is fine (as long as it doesn't have a bump or huge crack or something.

Let me know if you have one. Thanks!

#12 11 years ago

Yeah......but STTNG will be worth fixing!

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Yeah......but STTNG will be worth fixing!

Worth fixing. And worth fixing right.

You'll be glad you did in the long run. Not having constant problems on that game.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

Game play question = there seems to be a shootout or something coming from the upper part of the Borg ship. What shot or sequence of shots must I hit for that to activate?

You have to lock a ball in the ship through the Delta Quadrant ramp. The green light above the Delta ramp, when lit, will allow you to do this. If it is not lit, then you just end up going down the wire ramp back to the playfield. Once a ball is up there, it will shoot out again in Borg Multiball or it will shoot out if there are no other balls queued in the other kickers

That Borg kicker is really quite surprising when it shoots the ball out. I have had my machine for a while now and it still gets me every time.

#15 11 years ago

Thanks everyone! Parts on the way! I was looking at mods. These look awesome! Does anyone have these in their game? Or (better yet) anyone have them for sale for less?

http://www.pinballdecals.com/STTNG_ShipupgradeKitPage.html

#16 11 years ago

I have the Klingon Mod in mine (came with it).

I plan on doing the Romulan mod at some point. I had all of the Hallmark ships already (actually was putting them on our tree every year).

Not sure if I will do the Enterprise or not......it's kind of small and everywhere I've seen other people put it looks kind of awkward.

I'm in the process of painting my Borg ship right now.

#17 11 years ago

Hallmark ornaments are very good quality. I have several but none that matchup with my pins. I think the Enterprise looks awesome where they have it in their picture. I really need to get the game 100% before busting out $300-$500 on mods. The ball trough is the big issue right now. Well, that and I have a bunch of the upper playfield removed for cleaning.

There is a Romulan Warbird 3" Small "Add on" Ship (no direct link). Where would that one go?

http://www.pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/STTNG_Page.html

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

H
There is a Romulan Warbird 3" Small "Add on" Ship (no direct link). Where would that one go?
http://www.pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/STTNG_Page.html

It replaces the existing one.

PS - you can get the same ship from Amazon for under $10

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

Thanks everyone! Parts on the way! I was looking at mods. These look awesome! Does anyone have these in their game? Or (better yet) anyone have them for sale for less?
http://www.pinballdecals.com/STTNG_ShipupgradeKitPage.html

I didn't buy the ship mods, for 160.00, I put that $$ towards FF kit or pinbits shaker....two items a must for this game IMO.................and soon to be and additional 400.00 for the color DMD, they already got me

#20 11 years ago

Haha. I think it is funny that I bought a used ramp to save money. So I can put more into non-ball moving mods.

#21 11 years ago

The new opto boards arrived today! I am going to install them when I get home. Should I be concerned about causing any sort of short or something on the boards? I just find it odd that two parts on the above pictures board are completely missing.

#22 11 years ago

No. Stick the new boards in and be happy.

#23 11 years ago

Yay!

#24 11 years ago

What is this red insert for? Does it mean something?

image.jpgimage.jpg

#25 11 years ago

No something to do with testing the clearcoat from what I remember

Stop posting about your STTNG, you're making me want one

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

No something to do with testing the clearcoat from what I remember
Stop posting about your STTNG, you're making me want one

You should get one.....color DMD right around the corner!

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

What is this red insert for? Does it mean something?

Every so many playfields, they scratch one to check the clearcoat. That is what that insert is for.

I have no idea of how many they actually check. 1 out of 100, 1 out of 1,000 ?

In all the years and all the games I've seen, I've yet to see a scratched one.

#28 11 years ago

Cleaning is going well. I need to rebuild the pop bumpers and the upper flipper still. I haven't tested the new ball trough yet but I turned the game on and it didn't blow up. So that is good.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

I haven't tested the new ball trough yet but I turned the game on and it didn't blow up. So that is good.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm new trough boards.

#30 11 years ago

You almost want to make me clean mine...

Looks easy

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 64.99
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 9.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 63.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-new-game-new-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.