You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180522_222939 (resized).jpg
20180522_223047 (resized).jpg
20180522_203212 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

So I recently acquired a Williams star trek the next generation with battery leakage issues. I just replaced the main cpu board and atleast got the game to run. So the next issue at hand is that i am having some flipper/solenoid issues.

Lower Right flipper in/op
Upper right flipper works fine
Left/right slingshot(9/10) in/op
Left, right, bottom jet bumpers(12,13,14) in/op
Right gun/kicker can't find home.

Slingshot and bumpers activate when in lost/stuck ball scenario. Just no response during actual gameplay.

Right gun issue. Both switches opening/closing during manual movement in test mode. Tried removing and resetting motor manually and still gets lost from home.

Any chance of these being 1 main problem, or just a lot of little ones? Could the main cpu board have caused other electrical failures? Thanks.

20180522_203212 (resized).jpg20180522_203212 (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

Have you gone through and tested all the other switches on the playfield? Print or copy the switch matrix diagram, enter switch test mode, mark all the switches that do not work on the copy of the switch matrix and look for rows or columns that are out.

My guess is at least column 7 is out. The pops and slings are in that column. Look at U20. Check for acid damage. If not, U20 which is a ULN-2803 is pretty fragile, especially when the row if accidentally grounded. It might already be socketed.

#3 5 years ago

did the battery leakage get onto the connectors? check them to make sure they are free of battery leakage

#4 5 years ago

I believe there could have been some battery contact with the connectors. Best cleaning procedure? Tooth brush and a nuetralizer?

#5 5 years ago

tooth brush/qtip and vinegar, clean with water, then finish with 90% alcohol. just hope the connectors didnt get eaten too bad. if so replace them.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-guide-to-repairing-alkaline-battery-damage

#6 5 years ago

Thanks. I neutralized everything and reset the cables. The bumpers and slingshot are now working. Was working in bad lighting when I put the board in and didn't notice how bad the connectors really were.

Now I read a couple posts on the flipper issue and one on the shooter not finding home. So need to tackle those issues now.

Should these connectors be replaced?

20180522_223047 (resized).jpg20180522_223047 (resized).jpg

20180522_222939 (resized).jpg20180522_222939 (resized).jpg

#7 5 years ago

get the green crap out of the connectors. make sure they are dry before hooking back up. check the headers where they plug in. do they have battery leakage on them?

#8 5 years ago

as far as the cannons are concerned, you could need to rebuild the wiring harnesses on them. mine needed both done when i got it. flippers could be other things. all wires connected? leaf switches near coil gapped good? optos clean? do optos work in test mode? the opto interrupter could need replaced. the flipper opto board might be failing.

#9 5 years ago

I appreciate all the input. Need to get another air hose so I can get air power into the basement from the garage to really clean that connector out.

I am still relatively knew to pins, but have experience in general electrical diagnostics. Learned gottlieb platform with my sf2 pin. So this Williams machine is a little foreign to me. When I was running through the test pages for the flippers, I couldn't seem to get them to actuate by testing... or in general figure out a simple on/off open/closed testing for switches. . I'm still learning how to navigate through the test screens and read through the manual i got with the machine. So thanks again for all the input.

#10 5 years ago

If you need any help, I live in Farmington, not far away and have STTNG

#11 5 years ago

That would be awesome... I'm going to do some more troubleshooting my self to learn the system some more. Incase I get stuck with anything. Thanks.

Chris

#12 5 years ago

PM me here, my cell is a royal pain to text with.

#13 5 years ago

The gun may be simple. If you look at the mechanism you will see that a microswitch is triggered to end the movement and center the gun turret, check the switch and see if its working properly or check the connector at the board and see if the signal is getting to it. Also, check and see if the plunger sticking out of the turret is stuck in the out position, push it in and see if there is a change.It may be a simple isolated problem.....

#14 5 years ago

It wouldn't let me pm you because I am a new member. Shoot me a pm. Thanks.

#15 5 years ago

Right gun/launcher fixed... started poking around and stress testing/wiggling the wiring. Started acting all sorts of crazy. Split the sheathing back and found a broken wire for the optical switch/sensor. Did a quick solder until I get some new wire to replace them all. Works great and no more searching for home.

Now lastly the flipper. Tried switching left/right boards. No difference. Time for more digging.

#16 5 years ago

Resolved the final problem. I forgot to mention that when I first looked at the flipper prpblem, I found a burnt coil. I replaced the coil but only visually inspected everything else. Threw a meter on the fuse and found it was bad. New fuse and game is running as should. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

#17 5 years ago

nice. congrats

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 9.95
8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 63.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-multiple-solenoid-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.