(Topic ID: 98092)

Left cannon not doing it's little start up dance.

By webdiddy

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I'm having a couple of issues with my STTNG.
First problem:
The left cannon is not doing the test cycle on power on, also the lamp in it is not working anymore, the cannon is functioning as normal during game play (except for the lamp). Could it be the wiring loom?

Second problem: (SOLVED: Dirty optos?)
When playing a more than one player at the same time and player one consistently selects "lock ball" when launching the ball this sometimes happens. After locking ball two from the skill shot menu the borg ship animation starts on the dmd but no new ball gets diverted to the flippers, the pin does a ball search without finding anything. I usually have to tilt the machine to move on.

Third problem: (SOLVED: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-launcher-strength-predictability)
When the ball is launched and is supposed to go down the multiplier lanes the following happens: Ball launches from the out hole, goes up the wire ramp, bounces of the drop down target (drop down target goes down) bounces back to the middle lane diverter and back out the top right lane, never reaching the pop bumpers, why is this? This occurs 95% of the time.

Any help would be appreciated!

#2 9 years ago

Anybody?

#3 9 years ago

Think one of the optos is not registering right.
Inspect the optos on the spiderramp, but suspect the optos on the VUK

#4 9 years ago

Does it always work properly in single player?

I had a similar issue, turns out one of the diverter arm in the subway was off a bit, wasn't sending the ball to the right spot.

LTG helped me figure it out.

Otherwise, I'm guessing it's most likely on opto on one of the subways exit VUKs as Thor said.

Welcome to the STTNG troubleshooting club, it can be a headache!

Off topic- I've been to Goteborg, what a BEAUTIFUL city!!!

#5 9 years ago

Thanks guys!

I'll check to optos tomorrow, hopefully on is just dirty, hoping it's not a diverter problem though, kinda hard to know exactly how they're supposed to be positioned.

Off topic, It's nice to hear you like Goteborg big-ragu! Being born and raised here it's kinda boring city to me, but I bet that's the way many feel about where they live.

On topic again:
When I fire my machine up only the right cannon does the test "spin" the left cannon stays still. The left cannon does work as normal during game play, suggestions?

#6 9 years ago

I was there in 89 or 90, Volvo sponsored my high school band to travel there and we performed for an exhibition of American Football- Minnesota Vikings vs Chicago Bears.

#7 9 years ago

So I cleaned all the optos (I could find) and the game haven't lost a ball so far, keeping my finger crossed.

The left cannon is still not doing the test cycle, also the lamp in it is not working anymore, the cannon is still functioning as normal during game play (except for the lamp). Could it be the wiring loom?

big_ragu: that's cool man, are you still playing in a band? I'm a musician myself.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

The left cannon is still not doing the test cycle, also the lamp in it is not working anymore, the cannon is still functioning as normal during game play (except for the lamp). Could it be the wiring loom?

I would definitely check the wiring loom for a start, sounds suspiciously like broken wires, which the loom is prone to do in these machines!

#9 9 years ago

I have now checked the wiring loom for the cannon, the yellow cable for the cannon lamp was clean off, the other cables looked to be in good shape, I soldered the broken cable and put protective tubing around the rest of the cables and conected everything back as it where but the problem still precists.

#10 9 years ago

Those looms tend to break 'in' the wire.

Going back and forth, the copper inside cracks.

Check those for continuity, and while doing so, wiggle them

#11 9 years ago

I have now checked all the cables in the loom for continuity, and my multimeter gives me a beep on all of them.
I have also been running some more tests, I tried placing a ball in the left cannon before powering on the game, if I do that the left cannon rotates and shoot out the ball. This got me thinking, are both cannons supposed to rotate and fire the coil when powering on the machine? I'm starting to think it's more likely the right cannon that has a problem as it does this even without having a ball loaded at power on.

#12 9 years ago

On my machine the both cannons make one swing to awknowledge the mark-home position.
Swing out and back to rest.

#13 9 years ago

My left cannon does not test on start up, but works perfectly in game, and in menu tests.

When I asked about it, I was told that many other people's STTNG don't test the left cannon either. I haven't worried about it since, but I guess it *could* be the loom! It works normally in game play so I ignore it on startup.

#14 9 years ago

I guess since it's not giving me any problems when playing and not registering any errors it's nothing I really should be worried about.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

I have now checked all the cables in the loom for continuity, and my multimeter gives me a beep on all of them.
I have also been running some more tests, I tried placing a ball in the left cannon before powering on the game, if I do that the left cannon rotates and shoot out the ball. This got me thinking, are both cannons supposed to rotate and fire the coil when powering on the machine? I'm starting to think it's more likely the right cannon that has a problem as it does this even without having a ball loaded at power on.

on my machine, only the right cannon moves on startup. i think it might actually be a software glitch, as i've never had a problem with my cannons during gameplay or manual tests, and the same thing seems to happen with most peoples' STTNGs. i wonder if ROM version makes a difference.

#16 9 years ago

Hmph. you jinxed me. Read your post and felt like a game. On mine, both cannons look for home on power up. BUT now I suddenly have an issue where the left cannon loads the first time, but the second time the plunger stays out, no ball loads and the cannon keeps cycling until you hit the left flipper. This points to a faulty opto, a harness issue and/or a loose connection. I have some investigating to do.........in addition to the middle of game reset, but I'm pretty sure that's a connector issue from the power driver to the MPU (or power driver needs bridge/caps replaced but that's unlikely) stay tuned.........

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

on my machine, only the right cannon moves on startup. i think it might actually be a software glitch, as i've never had a problem with my cannons during gameplay or manual tests, and the same thing seems to happen with most peoples' STTNGs. i wonder if ROM version makes a difference.

That's good to hear! I can put it in the back of my mind now.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

Hmph. you jinxed me. Read your post and felt like a game. On mine, both cannons look for home on power up. BUT now I suddenly have an issue where the left cannon loads the first time, but the second time the plunger stays out, no ball loads and the cannon keeps cycling until you hit the left flipper. This points to a faulty opto, a harness issue and/or a loose connection. I have some investigating to do.........in addition to the middle of game reset, but I'm pretty sure that's a connector issue from the power driver to the MPU (or power driver needs bridge/caps replaced but that's unlikely) stay tuned.........

Ouch!!, that's brutal!

#19 9 years ago

You're assuming canons rotating at power up in normal, it's not. It depends on software version, where the cannons where on power down, where the balls are at power down, the closed switches at power down, among other things.

If the canons are working normally in game play, and you have no errors, there is no problem with the canons.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

UT now I suddenly have an issue where the left cannon loads the first time, but the second time the plunger stays out, no ball loads and the cannon keeps cycling until you hit the left flipper.

It could just be the plunger getting stuck physically. Don't overlook the obvious. Mine also did that. I solved it by replacing the plunger and sleeve, but I think the physical sticking can actually just be solved with a little filing.

The left flipper might just create the jolt needed to unstick it. Only way to tell is to turn the game off when it is stuck!

#21 9 years ago

Yeah, I checked plunger freedom first thing and that's not the problem. I agree with borygard about software re:position at power up/down but I always let the machine reset completely for a new game i.e. wait for it to re-spot all the balls for a new game before I power it off. He also stated that if the cannons work during play with no errors, the cannons aren't the problem, but they sometimes do NOT work properly in game and with no errors. So his advice is sound--still sounds like a connection/opto problem in my cannon(s).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
$ 64.99
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 63.95
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-lock-problem-multiplier-lanes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.