You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1131 (resized).JPG
1130 (resized).JPG
STTNG Switch Matrix-no balls (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

on my sttng machine it's loading and launching a extra ball into the shooter lane every new ball. the 6 opto's for the ball trout are working and the switch on the shooter lane catapult is also working i'm not sure how to solve this problem

#2 5 years ago

You are looking in the right area, there is probably a loose connection or cracked solder joint on one of the opto boards and the vibrations of ejecting a ball are causing an break in connection. I would do a close examination of both opto boards and attaching wires.

Quoted from cubie:

the 6 opto's for the ball trout are working

What about the 7th opto?

#3 5 years ago

the 7th one is working as well i will take the boards out and reflow the connections

#4 5 years ago

ok so i re flowed both opto boards on the ball trout and nothing changed. when i load the balls into the machine it locks the first 2 but the 3rd it launches gets sent to the left ball return, it recycles it to the ball trout and doesn't repeat the launcher to lock the 3rd ball(i'm not sure how many it should lock in the playfield) or if that is the reason why its loading 2 balls into the launcher

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from cubie:

when i load the balls into the machine it locks the first 2 but the 3rd it launches gets sent to the left ball return, it recycles it to the ball trout and doesn't repeat the launcher to lock the 3rd ball(i'm not sure how many it should lock in the playfield)

Ok, I understand your problem a little clearer now; the game pre-stages 3 balls, one under each of the 3 VUKs. If you have a diverter issue, the game will endlessly cycle balls trying to accomplish this. This is not what you are seeing though, you are seeing it try once and stop; typically, this means you have a bad opto in your VUK, the game sees no ball staged, tries to stage it and sees that it ends up at the 2nd lock. Best thing for you to do here is to remove all your balls and look at what optos read closed, it should be all of them; whichever isnt registering needs to be fixed.

This is what you should see in your switch matrix with all balls removed, the green boxes represent closed switches.

STTNG Switch Matrix-no balls (resized).jpgSTTNG Switch Matrix-no balls (resized).jpg
#6 5 years ago

number 35 is out, i replaced the photo transistor but it didn't fix the issue of it being out and for some reason i'm unable to successfully verify voltage on any of the photo transistors, i ordered a replacement opto board, mine looks pretty worn out

#7 5 years ago

Check more than the opto. Check the IDC cables connecting to the opto boards.
On my STNG; vibration of flippers and/or trough coils was causing intermittent optos.
This could be seen by wiggling the trough board wires going into connectors at the trough boards.. this would cause switch transitions in the test.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Check the IDC cables connecting to the opto boards.

Good idea for the trough boards;however there are no IDC connectors connecting the VUK, optical sensors, these have always been molex type connectors.

Picture or VUK optical wire repairs and VUK's during full restore:

1130 (resized).JPG1130 (resized).JPG1131 (resized).JPG1131 (resized).JPG
#9 5 years ago
Quoted from cubie:

number 35 is out, i replaced the photo transistor but it didn't fix the issue of it being out and for some reason i'm unable to successfully verify voltage on any of the photo transistors, i ordered a replacement opto board, mine looks pretty worn out

The photo transistor hardly ever fails, normally you see the the transmitter go. Also keep in mint these optos are all controlled by the 16 opto board under the play field, there are IDC connectors there and a bad connection to that board can also be a problem just as Zitt was eluding to.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

there are IDC connectors there and a bad connection to that board can also be a problem just as Zitt was eluding to.

Exactly. The connections to the opto trough boards are indeed IDC (insulation displacement connectors)... Infact most board to harness connections are IDC.
Specifically on my opto boards the +12V power wires were failing due to age. So I replaced that connector with a crimp on style connector and final Opto problems disappeared.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

The connections to the opto trough boards are indeed IDC (insulation displacement connectors)... Infact most board to harness connections are IDC.

Yes they are; however, there are zero indications of a trough board malfunction in this thread. I only see a VUK opto issue. I may be missing something though as I don't think the game is actually ejecting 2 balls into the shooter lane at the same time, if it is, then I'm way off.

#12 5 years ago

replacing the opto board resolved the issue all my switches are working the game is staging the balls properly and its not adding a second ball to the shooter lane

#13 5 years ago

I just fixed this issue on my STTNG. For me, it was the physical switch in the serving lane, NOT an opto.
The switch was not reliable due to a screw misalignment (switch would not always click), sometimes serving 2 pinballs.

3 years later
#14 2 years ago
Quoted from cubie:

replacing the opto board resolved the issue all my switches are working the game is staging the balls properly and its not adding a second ball to the shooter lane

Were all the LEDs on your old board working before you switched it out?

I'm having the same issue but all the LEDs on mine are ok and the receivers are also.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 64.99
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
$ 37.50
$ 63.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-loading-extra-ball-in-shooter-lane?hl=bendit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.