(Topic ID: 68612)

STTNG Left Return Popper fails half the time.

By LucidLight

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

On my Star Trek: The Next Generation Pinball Machine, the popper that feeds the left return lane almost always fails on the first attempt to launch the ball out of the metal shaft/popper. It then attempts do launch the ball a second time, and that almost always works. I tested the Ohms of the popper's coil, and it matched the other same model coils in the rest of the machine. I am not quite sure what else could be wrong. I did take the metal shaft off when installing new plastics. LEDs, and cleaning the machine, but I can not remember if it was an issue before that or not.

Anyone have an idea what could be wrong?

James

#2 10 years ago

Mine has the same issue, but it doesn't attempt a second time. It just tries once and if it doesn't make it then it just launches a ball out through the VUK directly behind it (that feeds the left flipper instead of the left cannon). Is there a setting that I can change that will make it try again?

#3 10 years ago

Mine is the one that feeds the left flipper. The one that feeds my cannon works perfect.

#4 10 years ago

Any pinball fix it guru's have some suggestions?

#5 10 years ago

Anybody?

#6 10 years ago

Check that plunger is not sticking/loose/jacked. Could the ball be snagging on something on it's way up the first time?

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from LucidLight:

On my Star Trek: The Next Generation Pinball Machine, the popper that feeds the left return lane almost always fails on the first attempt to launch the ball out of the metal shaft/popper. It then attempts do launch the ball a second time, and that almost always works. I tested the Ohms of the popper's coil, and it matched the other same model coils in the rest of the machine. I am not quite sure what else could be wrong. I did take the metal shaft off when installing new plastics. LEDs, and cleaning the machine, but I can not remember if it was an issue before that or not.
Anyone have an idea what could be wrong?
James

I would take the mechanism apart, clean the parts and replace the coil sleeve. Pinballlife sells the coil sleeves. Make sure the plunger has no burrs on it. These problems are almost never the coil.

7 years later
#8 2 years ago

Had the same problem, so i wanted to post my solution for future reference... Inside the bracket for the three poppers there is some kind of thin metal sleeve. In my case, this sleeve was pushed up a bit (maybe 1") so it was sticking out at the top. This must have created too much space in the area around the hole where the ball is waiting to be kicked upwards. I guess the machine tried once, failed to kick up the ball and then the locked balls in the bracket must have got stacked or jammed.

I pushed the metal sleeve back into the bracket and never had any of these problems again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 9.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 64.99
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 63.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-left-return-popper-fails-half-the-time and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.