(Topic ID: 307963)

ST:TNG Left Flipper Dead

By texas_compadre

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

During a game on my ST:TNG, the left flipper suddenly went dead. First thing I tried was cleaning the flipper opto, still dead. Removed and checked every fuse in the backbox, all good. So, I ordered and installed a new flipper opto board, still dead. Since I don't even know enough to be dangerous when it comes to troubleshooting boards and resistors and the like, I ordered and installed a brand new Fliptronics board... left flipper still dead.

Can anyone offer any tips, in simple terms, that a non-tech, plug 'n play guy might use to troubleshoot and fix the dead flipper?

Thanks!

#2 2 years ago

Does the flipper coil fire in test?

#3 2 years ago

Found the origin of the problem: the hex nut and bolt had come unscrewed out of the link assembly for the flipper coil and fallen down into the cabinet bottom. But now, after reinstalling the nut and bolt, the left flipper locks on when I start a game.

#4 2 years ago

Aaaaaaaaand after further searching the cabinet bottom, I ran across a curious little bushing that seemed like it might just fit over the link assembly hex bolt. Of course, it tucks into the plunger link to allow free movement, and since these come preinstalled in the flipper rebuild kits, I had never laid eyes on that bushing before. I don't know why a bound up link assembly would cause the flipper coil to lock on when a game is started, but the bushing fixed the problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 63.95
$ 85.00
$ 9.95
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.99
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-left-flipper-dead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.