(Topic ID: 262518)

STTNG launchers cant find home, diverter problems

By Mplspinhead

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

My STTNG has run amok! I'm admittedly a novice when it comes to pinball repair and I feel like I've jumped in the deep end with this one.

Recently I started getting random callouts and no background music. The game seemed to work fine otherwise. I poked around under the hood, unplugged and replugged in various pins on the sound board, CPU, etc and somehow the sound started working again. Great. But now both of the launchers run continuously on startup and I get the "can't find home" error on both the right and the left side. Both launchers read "closed" when I run diagnostics despite the launcher position. The "home" switch test does not trigger when I manually engage the switch under the playfield on both the right and left side.

Also when I run the solenoid test the under playfield upper, lower, and drop target doesn't "pop". Not sure if this is a separate issue that happened at the same time or if it's all tied together.

I've checked for power to the diverter solenoids and to the launcher home position switch. I traced a purple wire that runs from the switch up to a board (not sure which one, on the upper right side) and there's continuity. I checked the fuses and all seem good.

I think it would be weird if both the switches went out at the same time so I guess I could replace these but I don't think this is it. Seems like the harnesses can be problematic, but again strange for both to go out at the same time. And how does that explain the diverter problem?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

#2 4 years ago

If the home switch isn’t registering, I’d start there. Replace that and see what happens. Either the switch is bad or you have a cold joint on the switch. Is it clicking when you push it? If not replace whole switch, if it’s clicking you may just need a little solder on the terminals.
I don’t own this game nor am I familiar with it, but I’m assuming you’re talking about the Gun assembly’s as they are referred to in the manual? If it was a connector issue, many more solenoids would be malfunctioning as many of them run off the j107-3 connector

#3 4 years ago

Gun switches are in column 9. Column 9 switches do not register in the main switch tests. They only register in the specific test for the feature.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Mplspinhead:

My STTNG has run amok! ...
Recently I started getting random callouts and no background music. The game seemed to work fine otherwise. I poked around under the hood, unplugged and replugged in various pins on the sound board, CPU, etc and somehow the sound started working again. Great. But now both of the launchers run continuously on startup and I get the "can't find home" error on both the right and the left side. ...!

Just a quick comment.

If the home issue showed up only after you "unplugged and replugged..." (which is what I believe you said), I'd start by verifying you didn't connect something off one pin or bend a pin. While most connectors are keyed, I've certainly seen ones over the years that have had the keys remove for one reason or another.

Also, while I don't think this will help (because it assumes yours switch matrix isn't the problem), I wrote up some info about STTNG and home a long time ago on my site. https://aaarpinball.com/STTNG/STTNG.htm

... Altan

#5 4 years ago

I fixed it! Thanks for your input and a special shout out to my buddy Ross "the Pinball Pathologist" Simpson. Ross figured out the auxiliary board on the far right side of the back panel controls both the under diverters and the switches for the cannons. I futzed with the pin connectors on this board again, making sure they were all seated properly and PRESTO it worked fine. I don't think it was misaligned or anything... just a loose connection.

Back in business!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 63.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 15.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-launchers-cant-find-home-diverter-problems?hl=jmckune and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.