Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Foxis
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

So I have my STTNG up and running! At my Super Bowl party, two of my "non pinball" friends both said "that game needs smaller ball out lanes!" I looked at pinball sites, eBay and did a few google searches. I could not find any for sale nor a picture of what they even look like. I just found a few old for sale ads (machines with the mod listed) and some archived RPG links that didn't help.

If anyone as some for sale or knows where I can find them, please send me a message or post here. Thanks!

PS
I have already ordered ship upgrades, a CPt Picard and Brog figures.

#4 11 years ago

Just stuff a sock in the outlanes.

#5 11 years ago

Lloyd is on the case! Beat me by 21 seconds!

However, he linked the sold out plastic ones. They have the stainless steel ones I linked to in stock.

#6 11 years ago

BRUTAL outlanes. Commonly spoken words when mine is played. And worst yet, I'm missing a post on the right outlane, so the ball hits, dies, and 99% of the time choses the outlane over the inlane. I was thinking of replacing the outlane screw post with a rubber post sleeve like here from PBL:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=70

But havent done it yet. I plan to shop out this one and maybe do it then.

BRUTAL outlanes.. Please post if you find anything to help

#8 11 years ago

Oh I am also still looking for a TAF Uncle Lester. The only ones I can find look "off" to me. Someone told me how to make my own using the emperor from Star Wars toys but I think mine would look way off.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Lloyd is on the case! Beat me by 21 seconds!
However, he linked the sold out plastic ones. They have the stainless steel ones I linked to in stock.

And they are worth every penny !

#10 11 years ago

Thats cheating.lol

#11 11 years ago

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_36&products_id=306

Thanks! I am putting these in the shopping cart now. And thank you again to LTG for all the help every time I ask a question. You are a true asset to the community.

#12 11 years ago

Ordered! Somebody needs to finish updating their website though:

Thank You! We Appreciate your Business!
Your Order Number is: 8885

Checkout Success Sample Text ...

A few words about the approximate shipping time or your processing policy would be put here.

This section of text is from the Define Pages Editor located under Tools in the Admin.

This file is located in /languages/english/html_includes/classic/

NOTE: Always backup the files in /languages/english/html_includes/your_template

#13 11 years ago

So are you going to put them on the game right away, or keep them in your purse next to your tampons?

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

So are you going to put them on the game right away, or keep them in your purse next to your tampons?

I actually just removed the out lane guides completely. Now it's just flippers and drains. To play pinball in any other manner is simply uncivilized.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

Now it's just flippers and drains.

Now that is how you play with honor!

#16 11 years ago

SR is on the record as saying he's okay with STTNG lane extenders if people are frustrated with drains and feel it makes the game more fun.

#17 11 years ago

The reason I keep going back to it is because it is not an easy game to play. I get a great feeling when I have a 4 or 5 bil game. Would be boring if you could do it all the time.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

LMFAO !

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

Thats cheating.lol

Yep, cheating...don't do it! It ruins the game.

#20 11 years ago

The people busting your balls about cheating either haven't played a machine with them on, or at least not the latest revision from Pinbits which only add about 1/8". I believe there were some early on that added much more length. The current ones from Pinbits give a slight advantage, but it is slight. No miracles here...the outlanes will still drain a ton more than any other machine, but at least it's slightly more fair. Slightly. They are still infuriating..LOL!

I'd also rather listen to Steve Ritchie's opinion of the mod than that of random pinheads. Steve's ok with them, and he's usually the first to tell someone they need to "play better"!

#21 11 years ago

Its not cheating if it makes the game more fun for the person playing.

Mine has the metal lane extenders and I took it to the Louisville arcade expo last year and it had over 500 plays in 3 days and there were no new initials put on the game for high scores and my high scores are only moderate.Not saying there was not several people there that could have made the GC,Just that the average player enjoyed it and did not know they were extended outlanes.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

The people busting your balls about cheating either haven't played a machine with them on, or at least not the latest revision from Pinbits which only add about 1/8". I believe there were some early on that added much more length. The current ones from Pinbits give a slight advantage, but it is slight. No miracles here...the outlanes will still drain a ton more than any other machine, but at least it's slightly more fair. Slightly. They are still infuriating..LOL!
I'd also rather listen to Steve Ritchie's opinion of the mod than that of random pinheads. Steve's ok with them, and he's usually the first to tell someone they need to "play better"!

+1

Makes the game a LITTLE more fair on the outlanes. Its still pretty brutal. And with the outlane extenders, now when you go to trap a ball thats moving too fast it only goes off the flipper, up the inlane and off the top of the slingshot RIGHT into the outlane about 85% of the time*! lol

Great table, but one that is absolutely unforgiving. On the plus side, it FORCES you to learn better ball control and nudging. You'll be a better player for it. And once you start to "get" the machine (took me weeks of constant play! I wanted to smash it on more than one occasion), it really is a pretty awesome table.

Enjoy!!

*My personal "Picard Maneuver"

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

Oh I am also still looking for a TAF Uncle Lester. The only ones I can find look "off" to me.

Well of course they look off, you need to look for an Uncle Fester.

#24 11 years ago

I have a fix for this without using the extenders.
Do you think it would be worth making ?
Have been toying with having it made for years....really since 2009.
Gives the stock look without adding the metal speed bump.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I have a fix for this without using the extenders.
Do you think it would be worth making ?
Have been toying with having it made for years....really since 2009.
Gives the stock look without adding the metal speed bump.

OK,What is it.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from scooter:

Its not cheating if it makes the game more fun for the person playing.

Yes...actually it does

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from scooter:

OK,What is it.

It changes the geometry of the rubber itself.
No more roll outs on slow drains and the bounce off the rubber is different.
Chad H had one on his (I made it when I shopped it)
I believe I made one for ABCcountry too to test.
Just count find someone to cast it for me.

#28 11 years ago

I just bought the lane extenders and cant be more excited for their arrival

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yes...actually it does

It isn't worth the fight Law. My New Year's resolution is to try to stop talking sense into people who want to...

1. Add lane extenders and/or lasers to STTNG
2. Put insanely bright & expensive superbrite LEDs under all their inserts.
3. Pay big bucks for cheap, tacky and/or ridiculous looking mods, toppers and alternate translites.

All of those things are beyond stupid IMHO, but I am trying to be done talking sense into people. Seems people need to make mistakes for themselves in order to learn. The one thing I would have added to the list, but it actually seems like people are starting to listen to now is not to buy LEDs kits. I used to try to help people save money and preach this to the high heavens, and it seemed to fall on deaf ears back then, but it does seem like people are listening now.

#30 11 years ago

Yeah, I've stopped trying to talk people out of having opinions that differ from mine too. I mean, how stupid can they be not to agree with me on everything?

/brofistbump

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

It isn't worth the fight Law. My New Year's resolution is to try to stop talking sense into people who want to...

Fair enough. People can always do what they want to their own games, just admit the truth is all I ask instead of slogans that make no sense. But like you say it's most likely a losing battle.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from muttonboy:

Yeah, I've stopped trying to talk people out of having opinions that differ from mine too. I mean, how stupid can they be not to agree with me on everything?
/brofistbump

Never said people had to agree with me on everything. People can frankenstein their games all the want, but like Law said at least admit the truth. Trying to justify it by saying it isn't cheating in this case is ridiculous. My statements are more for the uneducated who come here looking for advice and leave here thinking that lane extenders are an absolute must on STTNG to enjoy it.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Never said people had to agree with me on everything. People can Frankenstein their games all the want, but like Law said at least admit the truth. Trying to justify it by saying it isn't cheating in this case is ridiculous.

That New Year's resolution didn't last long eh?

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from muttonboy:

That New Year's resolution didn't last long eh?

I said my New Year's Resolution was to "try" to stop talking sense into people. I am "trying" so it is still lasting.

#35 11 years ago

Yikes!

I'd hate to see what your takes on "fair use" is. You guys work for the RIAA by any chance? lol.

If I buy it, I own it, I can do what I want with it.

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of most mods, but I like some, and I don't really like LEDs. I have one game with a few in it, but I'm working on emulating standard bulbs (Looking for longer life and reducing the power-draw... not making pretty colors or blinding whites).

However, if someone wants to light their pin up like 30 Rock at Xmas, to the point of needing to wear a welding shield to be able to stare at it... good for them.

Its making them happy. They aren't hurting anyone (expect maybe their own retinas). They aren't "ruining pinball" for you, are they?

I think the extenders are fine. Use them as "training wheels" until you get the hang of the game, or keep them on forever so you and your guests can ENJOY the game more.

Its all about the fun, right? If you think mods are fun, mod away! LEDs? Go for it! Lane extenders? Why not? You want that table at a 2 degree angle? All the more power to you! Toppers? Put a freaking 61" plasma tv up there with the movie the pin is based off playing on a constant loop if you want!

Support pinball in all its forms! Don't bash someone because they enjoy the hobby in a different way than you do. We can all enjoy it in our own way.

Some people compete, and want tables at PAPA difficulties. Some are happy to just bat the ball around to have some fun and relieve stress. We cant say that one is "better" than the other. Pinball is pinball... and its all good.

Not trying to start a flame war here, just putting in my 2 cents. Plus I suck, so anything that makes the game more enjoyable is a good thing... to me at least.

Keep on flippin'

#36 11 years ago

Well said.
We buy them because we love them.
We mod them because we can.

#37 11 years ago

Dude, how am I going to rock this ego boost from degrading/berating/labeling people then? I've never seen an opinion change from an internet discussion anyways, what else is left?

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from bargoyle:

*My personal "Picard Maneuver"

Ha didn't see that before...well played.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from muttonboy:

Dude, how am I going to rock this ego boost from degrading/berating/labeling people then? I've never seen an opinion change from an internet discussion anyways, what else is left?

Go buy a ego extender mod I guess? Like I said, my statements are more for the uneducated (ie trying to form an opinion) who don't have a lot of time on a STTNG and come here looking for advice and leave here thinking that lane extenders are an absolute must to be able to even play a STTNG.

It's advice. Take it or leave it, but I know I would have appreciated it for isntance when I first started trying LEDs, instead of telling me to buy an overpriced kit and that the brighter the better.

#40 11 years ago

Very well said bargoyle!

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

...my statements are more for the uneducated (ie trying to form an opinion) who don't have a lot of time on a STTNG and come here looking for advice and leave here thinking that lane extenders are an absolute must to be able to even play a STTNG.

Ok, I can respect that position.

They aren't a "must". Its not like the game was mis-designed (although I DO question the shape of those damn slingshots and how the angled top bounces so many balls into the outlanes) or anything, just REALLY brutally built.

But for those who are getting their ass kicked by this machine, it certainly helps a bit. (Not a ton, but a bit).

Thanks for clarifying.

Now, about those superbright LEDs.... lol

jk jk.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Go buy a ego extender mod I guess? Like I said, my statements are more for the uneducated (ie trying to form an opinion) who don't have a lot of time on a STTNG and come here looking for advice and leave here thinking that lane extenders are an absolute must to be able to even play a STTNG.
It's advice. Take it or leave it, but I know I would have appreciated it for isntance when I first started trying LEDs, instead of telling me to buy an overpriced kit and that the brighter the better.

Ah, I must have missed the enlightening educated and experienced statements. I only caught the derogatory ones that came in and shit on someones thread excited about their game and asking where to get something.

I logged around 10000 plays on my sttng in two years after getting it in 2003. Many more since. No point in sharing my opinions though, most arguing against these things have never put the time in with and without them. Sure do like to sound superior though!

#43 11 years ago

If a man uses a "lane extender" that's generally not a positive thing

#44 11 years ago

My best guess is that by adding lane extenders you could bump you average game of 375,000,000 to about 403,125,000. In other words - Instead of a 2 minute & 30 seconds game you'll get a 2 minute and 41.25 seconds game.

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Instead of a 2 minute & 30 seconds game you'll get a 2 minute and 41.25 seconds game.

I think you should use 3 lane extenders if an average STTNG game is lasting you 150 seconds

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I think you should use 3 lane extenders if an average STTNG game is lasting you 150 seconds

Dude....it was just an example....not based on actual game times.

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Dude....it was just an example....not based on actual game times.

Tough crowd in here today

#48 11 years ago

LOL

Really tough crowd

#49 11 years ago

And Astro, your math is off.

I'd say you get AT LEAST an extra 15 to 17 seconds with the extenders.

#50 11 years ago

For real though, the extenders only help A BIT, as I've said.

They make some of those "Oh come on! Are you freaking kidding me with the bounce to the outlane?!?!?" moments go away, but not all of them. Just SOME of them.

Really the only way to post some good scores on this machine is to grind through it and play play play.

Learn the angles. Big emphasis on control. Trap the ball for every shot when possible. Master the Picard Maneuver. Master the left orbit shot to get warp values up. master the right orbit to lock balls and run the shuttle simulation... Oh, and the Neutral Zone. BIG points to be gained from Cardassian multibal. Oh and the alpha & beta ramps.. need to be able to hit them regularly too...

Ok, basically master EVERY shot. lol.

Really it just comes with time. It took me days of almost constant playing before I had my first score over a billion (Like I said, I suck).

Weeks before I posted my first score into the Q continuum, and I STILL have yet to knock that #1 score off there. But I keep going back to that machine 'cause its an absolute blast to play.

I'm just saying, don't expect the extended guides to suddenly make the game a breeze. They help for sure, but expect to continue to have your ass handed to you alot.

Some days that machine can STILL roll me. 4 full games in under 10 minutes? Have to walk away and come back 10 minutes later for more punishment, until you have that one perfect, awesome, unstoppable ball/game. Then its alllll worth it.

Enjoy!!

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-lane-extenders and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.