• Latest reply 7 years ago by Butch2099
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Normal Matrix (resized).png
#1 7 years ago

Need some help. Why Star Trek next Generation just keep spitting balls out.

I changed the trough opto boards, everything tests correctly in switch edge test. The correct number of balls is in the machine (6).

As soon as I start it up, it just starts kicking out balls. It will start a game if I hit the start button in the window where all six balls are in the trough and play normally until the game is over. It will even kick out balls when I'm entering my initials.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

Check all of your opto switches.

#3 7 years ago

Mine did this exact same thing a few years ago and replacing BR5 and C8 on the main power board fixed all of my issues. Mine was firing balls out but I had also lost my display. Check the voltage on TP1.

This was my thread on it: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oh-nosttng-go-boom

#4 7 years ago

You shouldnt have all six in the trough. Some are kept below the playfield. If those optos are dirty(in the subway) the game will think it has too many balls and spit them out.

#5 7 years ago

I had multiple issues on mine. I had to repair a connector, reflow the optos, the 3A fuse was rusty and causing 12vdc issues. The simptom was the same though, spitting out balls.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from loanguy7171973:

Check all of your opto switches.

I did & they all test fine.

I'll look at some of the other stuff & let you know. Thanks for the suggestions. Probably going to start with going one by 1 and cleaning all the optos

#7 7 years ago

My guess is that it's trying to pre-load the three VUKs, but due to a ball diverter problem it's unable too complete the action. A very easy check to do is to manually eject all the balls, drop one into each VUK, turn on the game and see if it stops doing what it's doing. Also note if balls were ejected to both cannons; if they weren't, you know where to start looking.

Another easy check is to look at your switch matrix and verify that all three VUK's show loaded balls; it should look like the image below where only through balls 4, 5, and 6 are blocking the optical beam, as three balls should have preloaded to VUK shown with colored dots 1, 2, and 3. The red dots 1-6 on the switch matrix show where balls are blocking the optical beam. This is typically where the balls should be at the start of every game.

Normal Matrix (resized).pngNormal Matrix (resized).png

edit: corrected ball trough location

#8 7 years ago

Failure of the top diverter will prevent the loading of under R.Gun (37); failure of the lower diverter will prevent loading of Under L. Gun (36).

#9 7 years ago

call me I've fixed many of these

#10 7 years ago

I agree with Pin_guy - this behavior is due to either balls not being detected in the staging locations (subway opto issues - optos or board issue) or the diverter not being able to divert the balls to the proper locations (diverter mechanical issue, solenoid issue).

#11 7 years ago

thanks guys, I'll try to get deeper into it tomorrow

#12 7 years ago

Just an update. Turns out it was fuse F 103. Feel stupid that I didn't check the fuses first but I figured it might help someone down the line..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 15.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-keeps-spitting-balls and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.