Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by coz6
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Played it for the first time in awhile and it randomly keeps shooting balls out. Played 3 games sometimes it did sometimes it didn't. Twice right after I shot the ball it shot out 2 more a couple of other times when I would would lose the ball it would keep shooting another out. Any ideas??

#2 5 years ago

its either an opto in one of the subway's, theres the one for the left cannon and right cannon could be there. Also the one behind the borg ship. Could also be opto board for ball through detect. I replaced that and rebuilt the 16 opto board, havent had a problem in years since then. Good Luck.

#3 5 years ago

Those optos seem to work just fine.

#4 5 years ago

I agree with Mantra, I was having random ball issues on STTNG until I cleaned the opto's... specifically the ones in the trough. Also, I had a small divot in my trough that would cause the balls to get hung up for a sec... this would usually result in random balls being shot out. Easily fixed with a small file to smooth things out. Hope that helps!

#5 5 years ago

That is one of the most dreaded things to see

Probably 75% of the time, yeah, it's an opto. It doesn't mean it's a bad opto. It may test fine in test mode, but if it's dirty it may just be inconsistent.

Check and clean the optos. Check wiring. Check your opto board. They can get crispy sometimes.

Did it always do that, or did it start that behavior after you did something to the machine? Shopped, LEDs, replaced/upgraded something...?

#6 5 years ago

Look at your trough, if it can be filed as neophyte suggests, cool - otherwise get a shim.

Also - make sure the upkicker isn't blocking balls rolling from position 2 to position 1 (you have some degree of vertical adjustment). Consequently, a big enough trough divot can also stick a ball on the upkicker before it hits position 1 squarely.

Another way you'll know you're blocked in the trough will be by occasional phantom drains - when a stuck position 2 ball rolls to 1 while you have a ball in play (the vibration of a playing game can occasionally unstick balls).

EDIT: Of course, this could all be bad trough optos, as referenced by those above. The GLM kit is great. After buying it, the problem didn't go away for me - which lead me to the physical trough items i keep harping on.

#7 5 years ago

random unexpected multiballs during gameplay is a common problem and usually caused by dirty optos. usually what will happen when the optos get dirty on mine, the left VUK will eject a second ball into play. i clean the optos with a damp q-tip, and that solves the problem.

alternatively, if the game just keeps launching balls from the launcher while in attract mode, that is usually the diverter in the subway. (if during gameplay, i would look at your trough, as others have stated).

where are the balls coming from? launcher? left VUK?

#8 5 years ago

They always come from the main shooter.

#9 5 years ago

Check the trough opto board for bad or flaky optos, cold or cracked solder joints (optos and connectors). You'll have to pull the boards out to check some of these issues. In switch edge test, phone set to camera to look at the transmitters (pink) to see if they are working and shine the phone's flashlight LED at receivers (blue) to test if they are working.

Also, the opto control board under the playfield can have issues of bad connectors, so reseat the connectors and look at any wires loose in the IDC housings.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Check the trough opto board for bad or flaky optos, cold or cracked solder joints (optos and connectors). You'll have to pull the boards out to check some of these issues. In switch edge test, phone set to camera to look at the transmitters (pink) to see if they are working and shine the phone's flashlight LED at receivers (blue) to test if they are working.
Also, the opto control board under the playfield can have issues of bad connectors, so reseat the connectors and look at any wires loose in the IDC housings.

Depends on the camera - on my iPhone 3 - your advice works not so much on a 5. A service bulletin actually exists from the manufacture on this issue.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
6,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
$ 11.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside