• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2012-11-19_17.17.21.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Hi,

I have a ST:TNG and it keeps giving me 2 balls at the start. Sometimes it gives one an d then suddenly it sais End Ball, while the ball is stil in play. My trough opto boards have both just been replaced and all of it's opto's respond perfectly in test mode. What could be the problem?

gr
Fulko

#2 11 years ago

Too many balls loaded in the game? Wiring to the trough optos OK (vibration changing the connection). Just ideas.

#4 11 years ago

What do you mean with balls loaded? Do you mean too many balls in the machine? I already tried taking one out to see the effect, but it doesn't matter.

If it's the wiring, shouldn't the opto's fail in the test?

#5 11 years ago

Balls are potentially getting hung up in the trough (due to pitting, rust, or magnetism).

Try popping one of these in your trough, worked wonders on my Judge Dredd:
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=449

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Fulkano:

What do you mean with balls loaded? Do you mean to many balls in the machine? I already tried taking one ot to see the effect, but it doesn't matter.
If it's the wiring, shouldn't the opto's fail in the test?

More than likely not an opto issue if they pass in test mode.

#7 11 years ago

Thx. I'll try the jam protector, but are there more suggestions?

#8 11 years ago

Make sure all of the diverter solenoids fire in test. I had something similar and it was a blown fuse.

#9 11 years ago

opto boord die aan de voorkant.was bij mij ook stuk.

#10 11 years ago

When I put it in Switch Edges test mode and I manually pull the middle 2 divertors (see pic!) there is no response. Aren't these switches also? (Yes I'm new at this )

2012-11-19_17.17.21.jpg2012-11-19_17.17.21.jpg

#11 11 years ago

I've been working on a weak flipper all week, so the playfield went up and down a lot this week. As a result the balls go from the trough to the top of the playfield and back a lot. Perhaps this info helps.

#12 11 years ago

No, those are not switches. The opto's infront or behind them control when they fire. Sounds like a opto issue. Not sure if when it loads the ball to start a game if it passes over a opto. Clean all your opto's.

#13 11 years ago

THe opto's in the trough are brand new. I installed a new receiver and transmitter board just a week ago and it worked fine. THey also respond in the switch test. That can't be it.

#14 11 years ago

Isn't there a switch in the shooter lane? If that isn't registering the game will think the ball didn't plunge from the trough outwards. Check that switch.

#15 11 years ago

Yes there is..

http://robertwinter.com/pinball/restorations/sttng/teardown/69.jpg

Check to see that the switch in the sling arm cup is properly registering every time a ball is in there.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Fulkano:

result the balls go from the trough to the top of the playfield and back a lot

You need to be removing the balls. Maybe they came back and slammed into/broke the switch Alex is referring to?

#17 11 years ago

You might also want to check the IDC connector to the trough opto boards. Make sure it is clean/seated well, no broken or iffy connections. I had an intermittent problem with my trough where it would spit out two or more balls. The optos worked fine in test, but when monitoring the active switch test and slightly moving the wires on the connector there were false positives being registered.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

You need to be removing the balls. Maybe they came back and slammed into/broke the switch Alex is referring to?

+10000 Absolutely take the balls out of the game. Considering STTNG is a pre-staging game sticking a towel in the trough isn't enough because there are balls in subways..

Empty the game EVERY time you lift the PF past the service rails.

#19 11 years ago

Thanks for all the input. It gives 2 blls right from the start. So isn't that before the first would reach teh opto in the shooter lane (where is that one located anyway?)?

The last time it gave 3 balls immediately and after that it just continued giving balls.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Fulkano:

Thanks for all the input. It gives 2 blls right from the start. So isn't that before the first would reach teh opto in the shooter lane?
The last time it gave 3 balls immediately and after that it just continued giving balls.

Absolutely a trough opto problem. Even though you just replaced it, it may be faulty.

#21 11 years ago

OK, I'll test the optos again, but it seems all 5 respond perfectly

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from Fulkano:

OK, I'll test the optos again, but it seems all 5 respond perfectly

See my post above. I had this exact same issue, turned out to be the connector. It was intermittent so hard to detect by just triggering the optos.

#23 11 years ago

Found it! I wiggled the wiring tot the connector to the opto board a bit and now it works just fine.

This is ofcourse a temporary solution. How can I fix this permanently. Unsloding en resolding the wiring?

#24 11 years ago

Best bet would probably be to rebuild the connector, converting it to molex. I haven't gotten around to doing mine yet as it has been stable since I tweaked it a bit. I believe to convert it to molex you would need .100 size connectors/pins/plugs.

#25 11 years ago

Ok thx

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 63.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 64.99
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-keeps-giving-2-balls and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.