• 21 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Thor-NL
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

This has been driving me nuts

I have replace the BR2 recitifer on my STTNG. It has been replaced at least 3 times which causes the game to reset while playing. The third time was with this one from pinball life which is rated at 600V instead of the typical 200V one

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=411

I followed many of the troubleshooting tips on pinwiki here

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

1. Line voltage tests fine
2. Ground is good
3. See no visible cracks in Driver board on 5V area
4. Checked all Diodes on flippers. Look fine
5. BR2 fails based on PINWIKI troubleshooting

After each replacement of the rectifier the game is fine for anywhere between 3-5 hours of play. After that the system begins resetting, you check the BR2 and its shot again

Only thing I have not checked is thermistor. That will be done after work today. IF this is fine I am at a loss and any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

#2 10 years ago

How are you determining BR2 is bad? Does it test shorted or open when it is bad?

The new ones are pretty rugged - I would think it would take a big problem to kill them in the short term. You would probably have other symptoms if something was drawing that much current through BR2.

Did you run the extra jumpers between BR2 and the associated Capacitor? This is pretty much a must do when replacing the bridge as it is very easy to damage the through holes in the board.

Parker

#3 10 years ago

High resistance somewhere in circuit can blow out your bridge. Check fuse clips, solder joints, anywhere a lot of resistance could be added.

#4 10 years ago

I would try a different power driver board if you can.

What you have going on is bizarre. Though 5 volt section shouldn't be nailing a bridge rectifier like that. Even high power shouldn't do it if shorted in somehow.

When you remove the bridge rectifier, have you checked it with a meter to see if it's really bad ?

I am thinking maybe you lost through hole continuity and mucking the BR up as far as working or readings. Maybe Q1 has gone nuts ?

LTG : )

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from michiganpinball:

How are you determining BR2 is bad? Does it test shorted or open when it is bad?

Running the test as shown on PInwiki.
1.Place your DMM into "diode test".
2.Put the black lead of your DMM on the "oddball" lead of the bridge rectifier. This will be the lead that isn't oriented the same as the others (as with the "spade" type of bridge) or the lead that prevents the four legs from forming a square (as with the "wire lead" type of bridge). This will also be the DC positive lead of the bridge.
3.Place the red lead of the DMM on each of the adjacent legs, one at a time.
4.A reading nominally between .5 and .7 should be seen (this represents the voltage drop across the bridge's internal diodes).
5.Now place the red lead of the DMM on the lead opposite of the "oddball" lead, or the DC negative lead of the bridge
6.Place the black lead of the DMM on each of the adjacent legs, one at a time.
7.Again, a nominal reading between .5 and .7 should be seen

I get .3 to .4

#6 10 years ago

M

Quoted from michiganpinball:Did you run the extra jumpers between BR2 and the associated Capacitor? This is pretty much a must do when replacing the bridge as it is very easy to damage the through holes in the board.

My freidn did the work. He just replaced the bridge. He's done it 100 times on other boards

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

High resistance somewhere in circuit can blow out your bridge. Check fuse clips, solder joints, anywhere a lot of resistance could be added.

Fuses were checked. All ok. My friend who replaced board checked all solder places on Driver board. He said all seemed ok.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I would try a different power driver board if you can

Wish I could if I had a spare

Quoted from LTG:

When you remove the bridge rectifier, have you checked it with a meter to see if it's really bad ?

Did not test outside of board. Only test I ran is as in thread post 2 posts up. Followed the PINWIKI test. accroding to that test it is bad.

It ran fine for about 4 hours after the last replacement then the same reset symptoms came right back and you can't run it for more than 5 min now and reboots.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Xanathar:

Did not test outside of board. Only test I ran is as in thread post 2 posts up. Followed the PINWIKI test. accroding to that test it is bad.
It ran fine for about 4 hours after the last replacement then the same reset symptoms came right back and you can't run it for more than 5 min now and reboots.

You do get me wondering if you have something else causing the reset and you are replacing BR2 for no reason ?

I'd go through the Pinwiki check list for resets.

#10 10 years ago

Your bridge is probably fine. If it was bad you would see completely open or a dead short. Testing this bridge in circuit may not work that well as I assume there is caps involved that charge / discharge with the DMM leads.

#11 10 years ago

The first question that comes to my mind is... Is the heat sink on square, tight & with fresh heat sink compound?

#12 10 years ago

Small Update folks

Think I may have found the cuase of my rectifiers blowing.

Opened up the ON/OFF Switch box to look at the thermistor. Went to turn it over to check the number and it crumbled in my fingers. Bareley even touched it.

Hopefully replacing this fixes the problems

#13 10 years ago

Your bridge rectifiers are NOT "blowing". Likely nothing wrong with ANY of them. DMM readings vary by meter, if there's no direct short, or complete open, it's very likely just fine. If your friend's replaced bridges on boards more than 100 times, then he's waisted a whole lot of time and good parts.

Find the actual problem and stop replacing good parts.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#14 10 years ago

I would check ac coming out of transformer ( red wires ) . You may have a bad connector or bad connection on power driver bd . This is plug on upper right with blue and red wires. Ive started to see this plug fail regularly. I replace with bridge and cap now . Be sure to use 3 sided trifucron pins as well. Hope this helps.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Your bridge rectifiers are NOT "blowing". Likely nothing wrong with ANY of them. DMM readings vary by meter, if there's no direct short, or complete open, it's very likely just fine. If your friend's replaced bridges on boards more than 100 times, then he's waisted a whole lot of time and good parts.

Find the actual problem and stop replacing good parts.

A. Thanks for the advice but no need to be snotty about it. And by 100 times if you took that literally it was just meant as a he's done work of that sort plenty of times so he knows how to put them in. If you wern't being snotty I apologize but thats how it came across

B. Every time we replaced the bridge it works fine. Then all of a sudden it start resetting. Replace bridge again works fine for about the same time frame

As in my post above I found the thermistor was aparently bad. Will be replacing it and see what happens

Thanks for the advice

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

I would check ac coming out of transformer ( red wires ) . You may have a bad connector or bad connection on power driver bd . This is plug on upper right with blue and red wires. Ive started to see this plug fail regularly. I replace with bridge and cap now . Be sure to use 3 sided trifucron pins as well. Hope this helps.

Thanks. Will definitly check this. If it is failed may contact you on how to repair if you don't mind

Thanks again

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Xanathar:

B. Every time we replaced the bridge it works fine. Then all of a sudden it start resetting. Replace bridge again works fine for about the same time frame

Then your problem isn't likely to be the bridge rectifier. You are in there removing and replacing the connectors would hint to it working for awhile and then resetting again.

Have you gone through the Pinwiki reset list ? Lots of things can cause resets, replacing bridge rectifier 2 is at the end of it.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

Borygard wasn't being snotty. Too many bridge rectifiers have been removed and replaced, and were not the problem. He's trying to help you.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Xanathar:

Wish I could if I had a spare

You have two spares. One in Demoman and the other in t2.

Quoted from Xanathar:

A. Thanks for the advice but no need to be snotty about it. And by 100 times if you took that literally it was just meant as a he's done work of that sort plenty of times so he knows how to put them in. If you wern't being snotty I apologize but thats how it came across

When one of the worlds leading board repair guys takes his time to chime into your thread and help your problem for free, you need to buck up and not be so sensitive. Be glad he is helping you. He gets nothing out of helping you and does not benefit from your game being fixed. I didn't find his post snotty. But if he wants to be snotty when helping, its his right. As for taking your 100 times literally, its a repair thread. We need specific tech details not exaggerations. I also took it literally.

I'm not trying to be rude to you. But we need to be thankful for what we do get. Let us know how things are going after you replace the thermistor.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

When one of the worlds leading board repair guys takes his time to chime into your thread and help your problem for free, you need to buck up and not be so sensitive. Be glad he is helping you. He gets nothing out of helping you and does not benefit from your game being fixed. I didn't find his post snotty. But if he wants to be snotty when helping, its his right. As for taking your 100 times literally, its a repair thread. We need specific tech details not exaggerations. I also took it literally.

I'm not trying to be rude to you. But we need to be thankful for what we do get. Let us know how things are going after you replace the thermistor.

I apoligize for accusing the post of being snotty. Sorry Borygard (Truely) Thats just how I took it. My bad. Thank you for pointing out I need to be more specific.

I have the thermisitor on order. Hopefully will arrive soon. Will let you know after replacement

2 weeks later
#20 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Here is the final update. Have replaced the thermistor. I also measured BR2 and it was showing a low voltage according to the Piwiki Troubleshooting. So I replaced that.

All seems to be well now. System was played for over 6 hours straight with no issues.

Thank you all for all your help

I will be posting a picture in a new thread of my finished machine

Again thank you all for the help

#21 10 years ago

And thank YOU for reporting back, so others can benefit from your solution

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 63.95
$ 15.00
$ 9.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 64.99
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 85.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-keeps-blowing-br2-recitifer-help-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.